Plan to list paedophile chat room names and e-mail addresses

dusqi

It appears that the US government doesn't have the monopoly on stupid any more, the British government wants a piece of the action.

Sex offenders could be forced to register their e-mail addresses and chatroom names, the government says.

Home Secretary John Reid said he may make paedophiles put online identity details on the Sex Offenders Register.

Mechanisms would be set up to "flag up" approaches by them to sites popular among youngsters, he told the BBC.

One computer expert said this was a step in the right direction, but added internet identities could be changed "in a matter of seconds".

Cliff Saran, technology editor of Computer Weekly, told the BBC News website: "I have about five e-mail addresses. It's easy to set up a new one in seconds... it's going to be hard to track that."

A Home Office spokesman said, "The home secretary also wants to look at whether it is technologically feasible to set up a system where if someone enters a chatroom with an identity that was already listed on the register, it would 'ping' an alert on the relevant people's computers, enabling them to take appropriate action."

Most. Ill-conceived. Proposal. Ever.

For it is the greyness of dusk that reigns.

The time when the living and the dead exist as one.

Brilliant plan. It's so great to know that the people making our world's decision's are so in touch with current technology and time.

"Hey, Bob, you know them e-mail things?"

"Yea, Steve?"

"Yea, well how about we make pedophiles register their e-mail addresses in some database...You know, so people can know they're evil-doers?"

"Brilliant idea, Steve! I mean afterall, an e-mail address is just as good as his own street address! It isn't like he's going to up and move just because of this!"

"Absolutely right. It couldn't be that easy."

LAW MADE. (By geriatric-aged losers, no less!)

The popularity of any given religion today depends on the victories of the wars they fought in the past.

- Me!

How about keylogging convicted pedophiles computers, or better yet, *gasp* denying them internet access!

No no, set up another inneffective "list", that'll work.

The popularity of any given religion today depends on the victories of the wars they fought in the past.

- Me!

Lets just forget for a moment that its futile because they can just sign up with a new email adress and screenname in a matter of minutes...

If the only people that have access to this information are police and police acencies then I am not going to be totally against this idea, it certainly cant cause any harm (apart from waste of money).

However!

If this information will be released into the public domain then i am stongly 100% against the idea. Imagine Mr Peter File who is convicted of child abuse or some other crime which requires him log his details on the sex offender register and his username just so happens to be Duski. Now imagine the kind of online vigilantism (is that a real word), abuse and threats that could be sadly done against our friend Dusqi here by people who are confused over the name.

If the police think that keeping a list of known screennames and email addresses will help investigations and keeping children safe then fine but dont ever, EVER, release that information to the public because I belive it will be ineffective and end up catching innocent people in the crossfire.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

If this information will be released into the public domain then i am stongly 100% against the idea. Imagine Mr Peter File who is convicted of child abuse or some other crime which requires him log his details on the sex offender register and his username just so happens to be Duski. Now imagine the kind of online vigilantism (is that a real word), abuse and threats that could be sadly done against our friend Dusqi here by people who are confused over the name.

Even worse, some people will have the exact same name, like my Viktorkrum77 on here is the same as on Yahoo Answers, and Runescape.

pyroqe6.jpg

Me doing staff.

What really amused me was the last line at the end:

The home secretary also wants to look at whether it is technologically feasible to set up a system where if someone enters a chatroom with an identity that was already listed on the register, it would 'ping' an alert on the relevant people's computers, enabling them to take appropriate action.

The idea of someone joining the room, and then everyone else getting flashing messages saying "PAEDO!! IT'S A PAEDO!!" :wink:

For it is the greyness of dusk that reigns.

The time when the living and the dead exist as one.

Lol its such a stupid idea when you read it aloud. The person who came up with that obviously wrote it drunkenly on the back of a [bleep] packet.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Why doesn't this politician just try and find a way to make blocking e-mail addresses effective, before proposing something so stupid as that. IP bans wouldn't work either, as many people have routers that change.

x9whitey9x.jpg

The code in my sig should say 1032 not 0132.

Why doesn't this politician just try and find a way to make blocking e-mail addresses effective, before proposing something so stupid as that. IP bans wouldn't work either, as many people have routers that change.
That depends purely on the ISP. You can FORCE an IP change, true. Although most of the time, just unplugging then plugging it in again is going to land you with the same IP as before.

Drawing and quartering should come back into style.

As much as pedophillia disgusts me it is partof them, and not something they can rid themselves of. They shouldn't act any of that ind of things out but they at least deserve mental treatment.

Signature3.gif

With so many trees in the city you could see the spring coming each day until a night of warm wind would bring it suddenly in one morning. Sometimes the heavy cold rains would beat it back so that it would seem that it would never come and that you were losing a season out of your life. But you knew that there would always be the spring as you knew the river would flow again after it was frozen. When the cold rains kept on and killed the spring, it was as though a young person had died for no reason. In those days though the spring always came finally but it was frightening that it had nearly failed.