The bible

Notorious_Ice

Notice how your post has an over-arching theme: YOURSELF( man-centered). Thats the problem,and your not alone(EVERYONE)! It is not about you and your life! It is about God. If it was not about God or anything, what does that make life? POINTLESS. I have purpose to Life. To live my life for God.

It seems, actually, that Tigra's post was not centered on him/herself, but was pointing out that, in his/her opinion, a lot of Christians are self centered, and wondering why, if God loves us all, he "blesses" one Christian who is pretty well off with a new car and no down payment, but lets a child in Africa die of starvation. This is as far as I can tell, at least, but I don't see anywhere where Tigra goes "wah wah, god didn't help me so he must not exist". A better interpertation would be, "wah wah, God didn't help starving Africans to just get bread and water but he gave a rich, well-off white person a new car, so he doesn't exist".

Just pointing this out. :)

sig2.jpg

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the worst argument I have ever seen. How many times do i need to tell you, casting aside intellect in a discussion leads to no discussion because you are basing everything on an intrinsic argument that "you have to be a beleiver to know anything". This argument does nothing for anyone except people who already beleive. Universal arguments are what you need, look some up.

Hmm.. I just don't know how to put this, so I'll let the bible say it for me...funny i keep coming back to this same verse.

1st Corinthians 1:18

The message of the cross is FOOLISHNESS to those who are perishing,

but to those who are saved it is the POWER of God

I don't care what the Bible says, it's not an infalliable source. It's words are NOT fact it's opinion. It's opinion has no weight over mine or any better justification to yours. You use it to me like i will say "Oh yes, true" when it's again intrinsic to your beleif.

Sorry, but the Bible is infallible. The words are God breathed, you know, the very words of God through human writers. If it is opinionated then my religion/belief is in vain, my life is meaning-less, what's the point of following any of the bible if it is all false? Wow, my life is meaning-less, what point is there to life if I have no one to live it for. Ya people, but they will die away. So then if my life is meaning less that means that everyones life has no meaning. What's stopping us from going out and killing and pillaging, raping? Hmm.. Sounds like I'm just an accident from the universe.

Of course your life has meaning, the way to change the world and the only life we are sure about to make this place better for other people.

And everything TheLastTemplar says is all intrinsic and has no worth to anyone but beleivers. So i wont address it, because I'm tired after a almost 2 hour debate with a fundementalist who thought it was fine to discriminate against gay people, i won.

Signature3.gif

With so many trees in the city you could see the spring coming each day until a night of warm wind would bring it suddenly in one morning. Sometimes the heavy cold rains would beat it back so that it would seem that it would never come and that you were losing a season out of your life. But you knew that there would always be the spring as you knew the river would flow again after it was frozen. When the cold rains kept on and killed the spring, it was as though a young person had died for no reason. In those days though the spring always came finally but it was frightening that it had nearly failed.

Hmm. Not everything will be proven that way, and not everythign will be proven OUR way. I 'm sorry you do not understand this but, I will pray for you and hope that your heart will be be softened By God.

When you put it that way, please, don't.

Thinking for yourself isn't a bad thing. Just making sure you got that.

Okay, I got a good one. Been using this one up a bit, but it's still good. Templar, do you believe that God is omniscient, and that you have total free will?

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

Notice how your post has an over-arching theme: YOURSELF( man-centered). Thats the problem,and your not alone(EVERYONE)! It is not about you and your life! It is about God. If it was not about God or anything, what does that make life? POINTLESS. I have purpose to Life. To live my life for God.

It seems, actually, that Tigra's post was not centered on him/herself, but was pointing out that, in his/her opinion, a lot of Christians are self centered, and wondering why, if God loves us all, he "blesses" one Christian who is pretty well off with a new car and no down payment, but lets a child in Africa die of starvation. This is as far as I can tell, at least, but I don't see anywhere where Tigra goes "wah wah, god didn't help me so he must not exist". A better interpertation would be, "wah wah, God didn't help starving Africans to just get bread and water but he gave a rich, well-off white person a new car, so he doesn't exist".

Just pointing this out. :)

It seems you disregarded alot of what I said according to predistination.. :-k

Plus I also wrote (man-centered) around yourself, conveinently leave this out as well?

Look at all these religion topics. whan it is not a believer writing it, it has an over-arching, indirect, theme: what can MAN do to figure this out? What can I do to make MY life better?

When it should be What Can I do for the Almighty?What is YOUR WILL God? What Can I do for YOU?<- Notice when you add purpose "I" it changes form a self-centered point of view to a Humble point of view.

Wealthy Christians? Well, in a sense WE are the wealthiest people alive. we have purpose to uour lives. We have a home in Heaven glorifing God for all eternity.

Yes some Africans are starving but if you haven't noticed, we have missionaries down there. One day I would like to do that as well, but it is all on His time. You bring up an interesting point though. IF we(christians) are the Body of Christ then why are we not performing the duties of the body? Some 'Christians' are this stereotypical version you see, but to me all i see is a fair-weather person who considers himslef a Christian. Let me tell you you are not a true CHRISTIAN unless you have had the Holy Spirit come into you and totally re-construct you humanistic ways. And brought you before the Almighty God, to repent of your sins.

Hmm. Not everything will be proven that way, and not everythign will be proven OUR way. I 'm sorry you do not understand this but, I will pray for you and hope that your heart will be be softened By God.

Okay, I got a good one. Been using this one up a bit, but it's still good. Templar, do you believe that God is omniscient, and that you have total free will?

I do not have free will.My life is predestined. And it will be lived according to what he has planned out for me. Though it would appear we do. But Since God is omnicient, God already knows what you are going to "choose". He knows how you will handle it. He knows the consequences of your actions. He knows this because he has Predestined your life.

To Satenza: You are taking the easy way out by declaring that. Anyone can do that. Since you are a FOOL (spiritual sense) you are doomed. But That does not mean I can not pray for you. I Truely hope you see the light.

DIscriminate against gays? Sorry but According to the Bible thats is A SIN, and is utterly distgusting. If you support Gays you are lost. But that, of course does not mean you can repent of your ways. Praying for ya always m8. :|

My post said NOTHING about myself personally not being helped out by God. I'm fully aware that if he's real, he owes me nothing because I've done nothing for him and done nothing but question him. There are people, however, in the world who really need his help and don't receive it. It isn't a matter of him choosing Better over Bob, it's a matter of whole legions of people dying because they don't even have water. Why even CREATE these essentially worthless souls? All they're doing is dying faster than they can be created. What the hell is the point in that? There's no choosing there, it's full-on stupidity. Either help them or don't create them.

It's funny you refer to us as God's servants, yet what does he reward us with? Ask not what God can do for you, but what you can do for God, indeed, but again, why does he create just to destroy? Pointless. Absolutely, utterly pointless. What's the point in following a God who rewards the completely undeserving? You fully believe you'll go to Heaven, yes? But yet you live in a house, drive a car, go to a school and ALWAYS have 3 meals. You also fully believe, indirectly, that those who suffer through life, only to die, will be sent to Hell because they never knew God. THAT is bull, and I refuse to follow it.

The popularity of any given religion today depends on the victories of the wars they fought in the past.

- Me!

To Satenza: You are taking the easy way out by declaring that. Anyone can do that. Since you are a FOOL (spiritual sense) you are doomed. But That does not mean I can not pray for you. I Truely hope you see the light.

DIscriminate against gays? Sorry but According to the Bible thats is A SIN, and is utterly distgusting. If you support Gays you are lost. But that, of course does not mean you can repent of your ways. Praying for ya always m8. :|

I just hope you can see that your opinion has as much weight as the next mans, and therefore as long as their action does not harm you or any member of society it is pathetic and stupid too censor it.

All you are doing is saying your opinion is right, and mine is wrong. Without justification. I can't argue with people like you, because you are lost to logic and freedom, and liberty. I hope you wake up from the indoctrination one day.

Signature3.gif

With so many trees in the city you could see the spring coming each day until a night of warm wind would bring it suddenly in one morning. Sometimes the heavy cold rains would beat it back so that it would seem that it would never come and that you were losing a season out of your life. But you knew that there would always be the spring as you knew the river would flow again after it was frozen. When the cold rains kept on and killed the spring, it was as though a young person had died for no reason. In those days though the spring always came finally but it was frightening that it had nearly failed.

My post said NOTHING about myself personally not being helped out by God. I'm fully aware that if he's real, he owes me nothing because I've done nothing for him and done nothing but question him. There are people, however, in the world who really need his help and don't receive it. It isn't a matter of him choosing Better over Bob, it's a matter of whole legions of people dying because they don't even have water. Why even CREATE these essentially worthless souls? All they're doing is dying faster than they can be created. What the hell is the point in that? There's no choosing there, it's full-on stupidity. Either help them or don't create them.

It's funny you refer to us as God's servants, yet what does he reward us with? Ask not what God can do for you, but what you can do for God, indeed, but again, why does he create just to destroy? Pointless. Absolutely, utterly pointless. What's the point in following a God who rewards the completely undeserving? You fully believe you'll go to Heaven, yes? But yet you live in a house, drive a car, go to a school and ALWAYS have 3 meals. You also fully believe, indirectly, that those who suffer through life, only to die, will be sent to Hell because they never knew God. THAT is bull, and I refuse to follow it.

hm. I am affraid I adressed this when I talked about predestination.

Duet. 29:29 The secret things belong to the LORD our God, but the things revealed belong to us and to our children forever, that we may follow all the words of this law.

I refer to God's chosen people as His servants.

Basically; you deserve HELL I deserve HELL we all Deserve HELL. WHy God does not hear them is because they have turned their backs on God, just like we have. We deserve every bit of "bad luck"(according to y'all) that comes our way.

AND referring to when you said "nothing about myself" oh, it does. It's YOUR interpretation of why God does not exist and is not fair. But then again, YOu ARE NOT GOD. neither am I. and thats the way God has it.

I just hope you can see that your opinion has as much weight as the next mans, and therefore as long as their action does not harm you or any member of society it is pathetic and stupid too censor it.

All you are doing is saying your opinion is right, and mine is wrong. Without justification. I can't argue with people like you, because you are lost to logic and freedom, and liberty. I hope you wake up from the indoctrination one day.

I hope you wake up from your SIN, and REPENT.

You can throw sin at me all you like, but if you look truley at your religion. All it stands for is oppression.

Signature3.gif

I do not have free will.My life is predestined. And it will be lived according to what he has planned out for me. Though it would appear we do. But Since God is omnicient, God already knows what you are going to "choose". He knows how you will handle it. He knows the consequences of your actions. He knows this because he has Predestined your life.

And you believe you have more of a purpose because you can't escape the chains of predestination? You seem to think that's the only way you can have a purpose, to not be free.

Also, explain to me the justifaction of Heaven and Hell if it's already decided which we're going to go to before we're even created.

Thus proving Satenza's point. There's a reason Christians stopped teaching to non-Christians like you're doing now, because you're forcing us to tune it out with your lack of desire for any form of real debate.

I don't recall the Bible saying it was a sin, I just remember people interpreting the "procreative" part as "people shouldn't be gay".

hm. I am affraid I adressed this when I talked about predestination.

Duet. 29:29 The secret things belong to the LORD our God, but the things revealed belong to us and to our children forever, that we may follow all the words of this law.

I refer to God's chosen people as His servants.

Basically; you deserve HELL I deserve HELL we all Deserve HELL. WHy God does not hear them is because they have turned their backs on God, just like we have. We deserve every bit of "bad luck"(according to y'all) that comes our way.

AND referring to when you said "nothing about myself" oh, it does. It's YOUR interpretation of why God does not exist and is not fair. But then again, YOu ARE NOT GOD. neither am I. and thats the way God has it.

Sad day for you, not only can God see the holes in your logic, but so can we! Why does God allow such idiots to speak on his behalf, do you think? Circular logic isn't the best way to win debates, buddy. Infact, it's an automatic lose! Nice.

What did I do to all of a sudden deserve eternal flame to touch my skin? Have I killed? Have I robbed? Have I even J-walked in a violent fashion? No, I've done nothing wrong. No more than you. According to you, we're all predestined, so why did God create me, knowing full-well I'd be a worthless hunk of crap that would just burn anyways? Better yet, why create anyone? Why not just poof all the heavenly people into Heaven and skip this whole step? We're predestined afterall, right? *Snore* Your logic is boring me to tears - isn't there anyone good to argue against anymore? Anyone out there who can put together a solid argument without sounding like lemmings? Bah. I digress.

Those starving African people didn't turn away from God, either, smarty-pants. Some of them have no idea of the story, and some of them are FOLLOWERS. They still starve needlessly.

Templar, are you aware that all you are is atoms? That's all you are. You're not magically enchanted, you're not even special! When you break it all down, we're all THE EXACT SAME. Guess what? That dog running around outside is the same stuff. Atoms. Yippie! Just these tiny little things that make up EVERYTHING. WHOA! Watch out, there they are again on your mouse! Don't scroll too hard, they might fly away.

While making fun of you, the point is that humans aren't special. Everything in the universe is made of the same tiny things. You'd have to be utterly ridiculous to believe that God created human atoms special to go to Heaven or Hell, and that everything else DOESN'T MATTER. You'd have to be a damned fool to believe God created the entire vastness of the Universe to house 6 billion slaves and cute things for them to look at on one planet of the trillions. Know what those stars and galaxies out there do for us? Not a damned thing. They're just cute to look at....That is, the ones we can even see.

Science has theories that are better than God. It's WAY more fascinating and way cooler. The only reason you believe in God is because you're a terrified little lemming who doesn't want to burn forever. Here's a tip, then: Don't go to the Sun. Problem solved. That's the only reason people follow it. They're scared of Hell and want Heaven. They're little trolls who only care about rewards. There is nothing in the Universe that will save you. You're just atoms. You're not special, and hell, neither am I.

So stop acting like you're better than all of us. Repent to me, lemming, and perhaps I will forgive you for being silly. Stop telling us we're all sinners when you don't know jack about us. I didn't chose to be born into some "original sin", therefore, I chose now to not take it because I had nothing to do with it. Deal with it.

And yes, the Bible is fallible, it contradicts itself SEVERAL times.

The popularity of any given religion today depends on the victories of the wars they fought in the past.

- Me!

Tigra, you do know that the existence of souls could disprove your point pretty quick :-k . Right now there isn't really any solid evidence for the existence or lack their of of souls, just speculation, so if souls exist you could be wrong :-k .

Then again, no one knows for sure, so let's not dwell too much on random speculation :P .

I don't really believe there is a "soul" in a literal sense, more like metaphorical, however, even if there was, so what? Assuming everything else created itself, why could a soul not have been a by product of life itself?

I dunno'. I fully believe there could be a God that started everything and made it possible, but this whole psycho-Christian God doesn't exist. That God may be the one, but it isn't what they're describing. It doesn't make sense to create to destroy, predistine who's in and who's out, and send GOOD people to eternal fire just because they didn't know the word of God.

That crap isn't real. Could you imagine if it was? When you're standing before God, I dunno' about you, but only one thing would pop into my head - The scene in "Planet of the Apes" where the guy is screaming "IT'S A MAD HOUSE! A MAAAAAD HOOOOOUSE!", because that's all it would be.

- Me!

I don't really believe there is a "soul" in a literal sense, more like metaphorical, however, even if there was, so what? Assuming everything else created itself, why could a soul not have been a by product of life itself?

I dunno'. I fully believe there could be a God that started everything and made it possible, but this whole psycho-Christian God doesn't exist. That God may be the one, but it isn't what they're describing. It doesn't make sense to create to destroy, predistine who's in and who's out, and send GOOD people to eternal fire just because they didn't know the word of God.

That crap isn't real. Could you imagine if it was? When you're standing before God, I dunno' about you, but only one thing would pop into my head - The scene in "Planet of the Apes" where the guy is screaming "IT'S A MAD HOUSE! A MAAAAAD HOOOOOUSE!", because that's all it would be.

Wow, I'm agreeing with Tigra... :ohnoes: .

The logic of the Christian God really is all just crap :? . I mean, I believe in a God, but that whole "OMG, YOU'RE GOING TO HELL BECAUSE YOU WEREN'T BAPTIZED!!!" crud is pretty annoying.

When the bible explains the beging of the world it says many steps god took in creating it. Now take this into account. Maybe god did not create humans until after the dinsuars. I believe that god sees time diferently then when do. For example 1000 years to us is maybe a day in gods eyes. so if you think about it mankind has only been around for a week in his eyes. Also i believe that god gave the people the ability or the visions on what to write in the bible it was not just randomly thought up by the views of people in biblical times.

prospektssigza4.jpg

I mean, I believe in a God, but that whole "OMG, YOU'RE GOING TO HELL BECAUSE YOU WEREN'T BAPTIZED!!!" crud is pretty annoying.

Read Galatians. Then you can own people in a debate that say you have to perform acts to go to heaven. Back in the day people were going around saying you had to be circumcised which was a Jewish custom as well as accept Jesus to go to heaven. Paul lays the smack down on them in it and clarifies no work like being circumcised amounts to anything. It is purely about faith.

People are always trying to make Christianity all works based and legalistic but if you go to the source you will see it isn't that way. It is purely repenting of your sin and accepting Jesus as your Lord and Savior.... that's it.

Ambassadar.png

I think deep inside we are all willing and desiring to know the answer to the same question.

"Can I have free stuff plz?!"

However, the more we search, the more the answer turns out to be no. :(

Oh well :D

~Defender~

If you love me, send me a PM.

8 - Love me

2 - Hate me

God doesn't need to give anything to these people. Through sin we deserve nothing, and on top of that their not going to get anything from God since most of them don't even believe in him. No one is going to get anything from someone if they don't even think that certain someone exists or does what he/she says - so why would it be any different with God? And God has given us the greatest gift of all anyway by sending his son to die on the cross so that we may have our sins forgiven and eternal life. That's what we believe and personally I couldn't care less if you agree with it or not.

@ 2nd bolded comment. Those "undeserving" people get these things through God's unmerited grace. Considering we believe it and believe in him, unlike you and all those others you mentioned.

@3rd bolded comment. That's up to God's judgment. We believe what it says in the Bible, and leave the rest up to him. He's a compassionate God. And you can refuse to follow God all you like (that's where free-will comes in), we'll just have to wait and see won't we. :wink:

Oh and please don't quote me saying "He's a compassionate God" and then ask me then why does he still let it happen. Because my answer to that is, is that its not God who caused it, it's the sin of humans.

I hope you wake up from your DAYDREAM and EMANCIPATE YOURSELF from the PROPOGANDA of RELIGION.

Oh my, see how annoying it is when you think your opinion is truth. Religous belief is an opinion. It's based on a book that people believe was inspired by a god who supposedly exists but has never been seen by anyone (with the exeption of Moses in the form of a burning bush and possibly some others). Please, for the sake of making these forums just a tad less counter-intuitive, don't assume your beliefs are factual truth and look down on others who happen to disagree with you.

As I've said numerous times on other topics, as a disclaimer, I have nothing against religion of people of any faith. You want to believe in god? No worries. Just please, don't assume it gives you the right to tell other people to think the same way as you becase you think your opinion is the truth.

You can throw sin at me all you like, but if you look truley at your religion. All it stands for is oppression.

All Christianity stands for is oppression? Are you really sure you want to make this argument?

I agree the guy you were debating wasn't making the best worded arguments but come on... don't ya think you are taking that statement a bit far?

Ambassadar.png

All Christianity stands for is oppression? Are you really sure you want to make this argument?

I agree the guy you were debating wasn't making the best worded arguments but come on... don't ya think you are taking that statement a bit far?

No, all it does is stand as a tool for people to use for attempting to justify their opinions, which are usually to opress certain things which do no harm too anyone. Such as when the Church condemed the use of Condoms - effectivley murdering people in Africa, or it's stance on various types of people. What reason does religion exist? So that one person can think their opinion has more weight than mine, and to think that they know truth when all they know is their belief. I really would have thought that some religions like christianity would understand that a society that allows for freedom and liberty is one which allows truth. However it's views still hold prejudice.

Sure you can say "religion exists to give people moral guidelines" but we as humans are not stupid, when we created the first state we knew it was their to protect us. We don't need religion too tell us whats right and wrong, my opinion of whats right and wrong doesn't make me right over the next mans. And a book of opinion does not justify an opinion.

Signature3.gif

No, all it does is stand as a tool for people to use for attempting to justify their opinions, which are usually to opress certain things which do no harm too anyone. Such as when the Church condemed the use of Condoms - effectivley murdering people in Africa, or it's stance on various types of people. What reason does religion exist? So that one person can think their opinion has more weight than mine, and to think that they know truth when all they know is their belief. I really would have thought that some religions like christianity would understand that a society that allows for freedom and liberty is one which allows truth. However it's views still hold prejudice.

Sure you can say "religion exists to give people moral guidelines" but we as humans are not stupid, when we created the first state we knew it was their to protect us. We don't need religion too tell us whats right and wrong, my opinion of whats right and wrong doesn't make me right over the next mans. And a book of opinion does not justify an opinion.

I'd say that Christianity dosen't stand for opression, it's the few who go by the tagline 'christian' that use it to opress others and use thier propganda to 'recruit' them if you like. It's a facit of life that is abused much like any other.

It's pretty much every christian, religion self evidently assumes that they know the 'truth' and therefore what we deem to be opinion they deem to be knowledge and therefore better than our opinion.

Signature3.gif

It's pretty much every christian, religion self evidently assumes that they know the 'truth' and therefore what we deem to be opinion they deem to be knowledge and therefore better than our opinion.

Hmm. That's a pretty good point, I must admit. They are basically taught never to question thier belief and see it as truth. I suppose the upshot of this is that scripture is partially to blame as it is never wavering of it's declaration of god, and our subordination to him.

This makes me wonder, how do you classify someone as a Christian? Do they have to believe (or 'know') that the message and basic tenants the bible portrays are truth? There seems to be a huge range of believers who are given the title of Christian these days which is probably due to the multi-denominational thing.