What are your favourite bands.. and why?

Darthman

Dream Theater: Incredible musicianship and lyrics.

Musicianship, definitely. But lyrics? I would heavily heavily disagree with that. I like Dream Theater, but their lyrics tend to be... Typical, cheese ridden, and overly progressive.

La lune ne garde aucune rancune.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I prefer classic rock to modern rock. Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Beatles, etc.; all amazing in their different ways. It's something that current rock can't really reproduce, all current rock sounds identical to me, I don't know, maybe its just me.

Amen to that, add AC/DC and Deep Purple and I'm your man.

99 Slayer since August 2007.

Dream Theater: Incredible musicianship and lyrics.

Musicianship, definitely. But lyrics? I would heavily heavily disagree with that. I like Dream Theater, but their lyrics tend to be... Typical, cheese ridden, and overly progressive.

I guess it depends on the song as far as lyrics go. I really liked the lyrics from their epics (octavarium, a change of seasons) and the lyrics from their others aren't too terrible.

So Incredible lyrics is too much now that I think of it more.

@ Dann : I agree they don't have the emotion that other bands can induce but their musicianship is just too good to pass up on occasions.

• 3 weeks later...

R.E.M.- They were the final piece in making Alternative big. Heh, I should know- my grandpa produced their first two albums when they were a fledgeling underground band.

Hi.

Eh later is here!

The Beatles - Biggest band on the earth, probably still are. Took on quite a bit, preformed many types of genre's from phycho to pop. The variety and amount they produce that is of brilliant quality is incredible. The men behind the beatles too, are incredible.

Dylan - His music is simply poetic for the most part. Desolation Row, Tangled Up In Blue and Visions Of Johanna come to mind, theyare stunning in words and coupled with Dylans stoney and weathered voice they show music to be a real art. Then we have his more up beat songs like Highway 61 Revisited. The album, Highway 61 Revisited is in the top three best albums to ever be released. He said he never made any political songs, he lies.

The Doors - They have an unmistakable sound, that can only be attributed to Jim Morrison. They have a poetic line of thought as well, and like Dylan shows a real art ot music.

The Eagles - Ultimate relaxation! The general mood of the band throughout the majority of their songs makes them deserve a place in my favourites.

Hendrix - Another amazing lyricist, most people mistake him for just his guitar. But songs such as "Burning of the Midnight Lamp" and "Castles Made Of Sand" show his real talent.

Pink Floyd - As someone said they didn't create phychedelic rock, but they mastered it.

Rollin' Stones - Ultimate rock and roll band!

The Who - Ultimate brit rock and roll band!

Signature3.gif

With so many trees in the city you could see the spring coming each day until a night of warm wind would bring it suddenly in one morning. Sometimes the heavy cold rains would beat it back so that it would seem that it would never come and that you were losing a season out of your life. But you knew that there would always be the spring as you knew the river would flow again after it was frozen. When the cold rains kept on and killed the spring, it was as though a young person had died for no reason. In those days though the spring always came finally but it was frightening that it had nearly failed.

dream theater is my all time favorite band. simply..amazing. the musicianship along with the technicality + the humbleness of them leaves me in awe and respect for any piece of music they produce.

I've tried to make myself like them (most of the bands I really like now I didn't like instantly), simply because they're awesome musicians, but I can't get over how annoying the guy's voice is. -.-

eep...i dunno why some people don't like his voice. it's amazing for a man's voice...he can reach an F# :shock:

Yeah....F# isn't absurdly high dude, considering the amount of people I know (including myself) that can easily hit higher notes and still sound good. However, as far as normal guys that haven't given up their balls for emo or pop-punk, yes it's good and refreshing to hear someone that doesn't have a <1 octave range, like so many other horrible singers that somehow make money from [developmentally delayed] teenage girls going "LEIK PMG I WUB J00!!!1!1!!!one!!!11!!eleven!11!!1"

Also let me say right here and now.....emo and crappy punk are different. Panic! At The Disco is crappy punk. A band like Hawthrone Heights - that has quote a few songs about sorrow and killing yourself - now that's emo my friends.

-Metallica. Jame's Vocals are awesome, Lar's drumming is great and Kirk's guitar skills are brilliant and is a heavy metal band.

Not to mention Cliff's bass. ;P (First three anyway)

-Iron Maiden. The 3 guitarists, Bruce's vocals, and the great '80s heavy metal.

Damn right. ;P

thesip2.jpg

It really has

Metallica- The energy and talent they brought to the metal genre was just amazing. Their appeal to myself has dwindled somewhat after the Black album, though the talent remains.

I really wouldn't call it an era. It was more of a definitive time period during which dinstinctive characteristics were expressed in similar ways.

Svirnsigscore.gif

i mostly like heavy metal. if i had to pick my favorite bands they be:

Megadeth- first of all im going to see em may 17th and i like em cuz i love the attitude mustaine puts in his music and its 100% thrash up your [wagon] nothing sell out about it they are [bleep]ing amazing

Iron Maiden- bruce [bleep]inson has an amzing voice and the album covers and pictures are so friggen awesome it just makes u beg for more any maiden fanll know what im talking about

Black Sabbath- asn a bassist geezer butler truly inspires me and i love the emotion in ozzys voice

Metallica- iffy subject cuz for a band who got started of bootlegs there pretty hard on the bootleg commumity but Kill Em All all the way up to And Justice For All are amazing makes u feel like your invincible

Twisted Sisiter- although there more glam metal dee snider is one of those dudes who i cant get enough of his voice plus they stand up for heavy metal

Judas Priest- well of course its glen tipton and kk downing that just make priest [bleep]ing amazing with halfords screaching vocals on top itll blow your mind

Dio- somewhat of a god to me and definately one of my favorite vocalists

Kiss- the band that started my love for metal that cant be quenched Double Platinum was the first metal cd i bught andi listened to it until it no longer worked

Theres way to many for me to name because im literally obsessed with heavy metal

hgkkhkh.gif

What dont'cha like about dream theater Dann? :)

Brr, they're so cold. There's really nothing in their music. Ultimate proof that having the technical side covered isn't everything. Their music just doesn't work for me.

Try the song Erotomania. I dunno, it just gets me every time. I love it. Anyway of couse, as with all music, it comes down to taste.

What dont'cha like about dream theater Dann? :)

Brr, they're so cold. There's really nothing in their music. Ultimate proof that having the technical side covered isn't everything. Their music just doesn't work for me.

Try the song Erotomania. I dunno, it just gets me every time. I love it. Anyway of couse, as with all music, it comes down to taste.

The whole awake album is very atmospheric. For some more energetic stuff, have a listen to the Glass Prison. For a mix, listen to the song Octavarium - it does a very nice mix of all their styles of music.

ragenori9bosq4.gif

Thanks Venomai for this super sig and Kwimbob for the awesome avatar!

I absolutely hated Ocatovarium, including the last track. Sorry guys, I just don't like them very much.

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!

My Chemical Romance

Call me Emo, I don't care. They're amazing!

Linkin Park

Great songs, catchy beats, nice lyrics and In the End is an amazing song! I can't wait for the new album to come out.

Fort Minor

Mikey, the rapper from Linkin Park is the band leader. It's not the normal rap with songs filled with sex, drugs, and killing though. It's awesome.

Three Days Grace

One-X is probably one of my favorite albums at the moment. Again, call me Emo, I DO NOT CARE. Great lyrics and catchy beats.

• 2 weeks later...

Smashing Pumpkins

I love them. They describe me. They help me live ? As silly and childish as that sounds. Anytime is a good time for Smashing Pumpkins.

Dragonforce.

Ever need to get pumped ? Dragonforce baby.

Pantera - I'll start by saying that Dimebag Darrell definately brought a new name to metal guitar. Sweet solo's and heavy riffs. On top of that I appreciate Vinnie Paul's voice because you can understand a lot of what he's saying and he still sounds heavy. With the alright drums, they made some awesome music!

Other bands like Led Zeppelin, Metallica, Rush etc. I think are great but I don't feel like going into great detail.

Brighten - I like the lyrics and overall sound of the music

Brand New - they have subliminal messages in their music which keep you hooked can't beat that with a stick.. On a serious note i like the way the sound

Say Anything - lyrics are funny and one of the only bands i've met

Emery - i like the way they sound

No Assembly Required - one of the only metal bands i can stand even though i can't understand Luca from time to time.. He's a funny guy

RSN: drgnslyer15

Drgnslyer15.png

15 skills 90+ - 10 skills 99 - 200m+ total exp

Mr. Big - They did more than just "To be with you," listen to them and you'd know :P. Virtuosity (Paul Gilbert) without loss of melody+harmony.

Hardline - Johnny Gioeli has the best voice in rock (especially on Double Eclipse) and the music is just so catchy. They're a mix of hair metal and hard rock and the result couldnt be ANY better :D

--------------------

Honorable mentions: Skid Row, Kreator, Opeth

Pantera - I'll start by saying that Dimebag Darrell definately brought a new name to metal guitar. Sweet solo's and heavy riffs. On top of that I appreciate Vinnie Paul's voice because you can understand a lot of what he's saying and he still sounds heavy. With the alright drums, they made some awesome music!

Other bands like Led Zeppelin, Metallica, Rush etc. I think are great but I don't feel like going into great detail.

Dimebag is definately top in my 10 musicians of all time. Incredible grasp of the fret board and he could always write some of the best riffs. Pantera were pure gold.

You mean Phil Anselmo. Vinnie Paul is the drummer, and Dimebag's brother.

La lune ne garde aucune rancune.

The only things I really need music wise are:

Frank Zappa Incredible compositions, coolest genre combinations, incredibly funny and intelligent, and looooong guitar solos.

Listen to: Freak Out, We're only in it for the money, Hot Rats Overnite Sensations, Apostrophe ['] Joe's Garage

Bob Dylan The words, the guitar and of course the harmonica. Incredible what happens when he sings. Fantastic in normal albums, and always reinventing his own music live.

Listen to: The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan, Brining it all back home, Highway 61 Revisited, Blonde on Blonde Blood on the Tracks, Desire, Oh Mercy, Time out of Mind, Modern Times (of course others are good too, but this is essential stuff)

Steely Dan/Donald [bleep]en I can listen to this untill eternity. It's so catchy and smooth, simple on first hearing, but when you pay attention it's so incredibly complex. And of course their coolness is never equalled.

Listen to: Steely Dan Can't buy a thrill, Countdown to ecstasy, Pretzel Logic, Katy Lied, Aja and ah, who cares, we'll cram Gaucho in as well. I'm not know with their latest work. Donald [bleep]en: The Nightfly, Morph the Cat.

Ry Cooder Fantastic guitar player and composer. Always working on new material. Browsing trough older and now less popular types of music and re-introducing them. An incredibly important person for modern day music.

Listen to: Into the Purple Valley, Paradise and Lunch, Jazz, ChÃÆÃâÃâávez Ravine, My name is Buddy and the soundtrack for the movie Paris, Texas

It's funny how two years ago I mainly listened to English pop/rock music from the 60s and 70s. While all the musicians mentioned now are all American. I just don't care much for the Beatles, or the Stones anymore. Got bored of it, I guess. I'll guess it'll be more balanced in another two years or so.

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!

metallica- I just love them favorite band ever and always will be. they make it so personal at times, and they make a 12 min song like Mercyful Fate stay alive for the whole song. they are just incredible and dont stick to a theme/style is the best way to put it, most songs have a diffrent feel each time. countless lyric or song abstract shirts and zip hoodies

Pantera- RIP Dimebag, the band is amazing top choice for their guitar sounds, no one sounds like Pantera, no one Plays like Pantera, no one comes close to Pantera. Songs like flood, Cemetary Gates, 5 mins alone, Drag the waters, walk. ya there just amazing for their sound they get you pumped anytime. countless lyric or song shirts and 1 zip hoodie

Iron Maiden- Grew up on these guys like metallica, old school feel, always have a lite rock feel to their songs its really hard to get past their sounds. The Trooper has one of the best openings. least shirts but like a few sweatshirts and 1 hoodie

Ac/Dc This is probibly my greatest band of all time, until metallica just grabbed me back from not being a fan of them and turning them off all the time, shirts apon sweaters apon zip hoodies, still wear em all the time, have all their songs both their australian side and others.