Are Party Hats and Other Rares Going Extinct?

Ouchy

x -> inf, DDR, and it's just an approximation.

The rare amount equation is more of a hyperbole imo; The quantity will decrease but it will never hit 0.

Retired

2146 overall - 136 combat - 6 skillcapes

Plus I think the whole teenage girl thing will end soon (hopefully), because my girlfriend is absolutely in love with him(she is 18), and im beginning to feel threatened by his [Justin Bieber] dashing looks.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We need r2 or duke freedom here lol.

I think if party hats where to vanish, santas would skyrocket.

Also the more uncommon rares like disks of returning pumpkins and eggs might rise a lot due to there not being as many of them

I think the Santas, discs, pumpkins, and easter eggs would be in the same boat as the party hats if "Extinction (sp?)" ever comes. Especially since you can eat a pumpkin or an egg. Like others have said, i dont think game will be around long enough for them to go extinct.

K_Kazul.jpeg

it's amazingly unlikely that all accounts with rares get banned or drop them.

If this did happen however they wouldn't be extinct..just in hibernation as there is so many quit accounts with rares stashed away as if they came back well then there is more rares back in the system.

gladz.png

Proud Retired Council of The Gladiatiorz

Click here for our website - 110+ F2P Combat Requirements

We need r2 or duke freedom here lol.

Yeah, they're Gods... :|

As long as one person has a phat they wont be extinct. They will eventually decrease in quantity, but by no means will they disappear.

dmanxb7.jpg

Trix.--quit WoW as of 12/07

Thank you 4be2jue for the wonderful sig and avatar!

Eventually, they will go extinct, from idiots not properly doing the dropping video, (and having thm actually disappear) Banned accounts, and so forth. My friend does this little thing to amuse himself, where he buys eggs / pumpkins, and declines the trade, and Lols himself as they eat their investment. People like that will probably cause the rare market to crash...

EDIT: Another point. Suppose you're in the deep wildy for whatever reason, with an un-noted pumpkin or egg. By eating it, you heal the 14 hp, survive to the lower level, and escape a PKer, but remove a rare from the market, and lose 16 Mil in the process. If you leave it, you will die and the PKer will get it. Which one would you pick?

Still alive, still alive.

Don't think they will ever be completely gone, but there will always be less and less of them. Lots of theories going on now that Jagex is banning all the huge partyhat stakers to get rid of the rares, allthough I personally believe that they got banned for the correct reason (IRL trading).

99 Slayer since August 2007.

Also keep in mind that people that have been playing forever are quitting. This will also contribute to the loss of phats. In my opinion, they won't go completely extinct, but maybe extremely rare, with a few accounts idle with phats. The smart ones will sell before they go idle, but also consider that they may want to keep them on there so that when (if) they come back to rs ever they can sell them for more GP then they ever imagined... just a thought.

sigbanksupportqd1.gif

RuneScape Retired since '06, sn= Superstud07

whats wrong with going to the back of the wildy and dropping rares and walking back like nothing happened.. whats wrong with eating a easter egg....... im not gonna bank my egg.. ill eat it, its yum

What the hell? :wall:

OT: Rares will lose their desireability, way before they come extinct...

Hence why after POH, the prices never rose.

In 5 years time, people will most likely not know what a Disc. Item is.

Rares are certainly decreasing, but I doubt they will ever go entirely extinct. Eventually they will become so rare that nobody is willing to sell them (this applies mostly to the wearable ones), and just keep them as a sign of status (similar to what they are today, just much much more).

It is inevitable that rares will slowly exit circulation through one way or another (Chezedude, one of the best stakers out there, got banned with 16 phats, and probably lots of other rares awhile ago). People are always accidentally eating/alching them. Some people intentionally destroy them. So, they will probably exit the market eventually. But I would be very surprised if some don't remain. Like I said, eventually it will be more of a status symbol to have one than it is to alch one. Then people will start keeping them, they will no longer be for sale, and those lucky people will be really cool 8-) until they die :boohoo: or the game dies :wall:

Well if anyone can remember the Dupe then they should know Jagex deleted more Partyhats then created.Which resulted in higher prices but less hats.People also drop rares just for the fun of it.Some people are trying to destroy Runescape.

lolbx7.png

Main: Snw rifleman - FINISHED DESERT TRESURE 11/5/08 WOO

Just your typical asian who likes to play games =)

how does dropping rares destroy runescape.. sheeesh

Because.People's goals in Runescape are rares.If many rares are gone what will the people with so much money buy?10 sets of guthans?Rares are to show your wealth and without anything high of value whats the point in money goals if you can't even show it off.Many people would quit without partyhats or anything.

lolbx7.png

Main: Snw rifleman - FINISHED DESERT TRESURE 11/5/08 WOO

Just your typical asian who likes to play games =)

i hope they are, i think its so stupid that people would spend up to 500m on 0+ on al bouses, its pathetic unless they got them from the actual event.

they were meant to show how long people have been playing, not how much cash they have.

~~~Gudi~~~

i hope they are, i think its so stupid that people would spend up to 500m on 0+ on al bouses, its pathetic unless they got them from the actual event.

they were meant to show how long people have been playing, not how much cash they have.

~~~Gudi~~~

You're right, people don't buy them to show how much cash they have. They buy them because they're the most useful item in the game. I know since they don't have stats and you only see it as a big "+0," they seem useless. But picture a theoretical item. Let's call it the magic geepee. You buy one single gp, but the cool thing about this one is that it grows exponentially and soon is worth millions. Does that crystallize for you their use?

As the self-proclaimed rs economist :o

My opinion is with what was said earlier, eventually the y-intercept will reach zero. We all don't want this to happen but the grim reality is that it will. We all love and cherish the mighty party hat, thats why in are minds we trick ourselves into thinking that they will always be here. I think this way too. The time frame for this to happen is the x factor, it is unknown. Either runescape will shutdown or the party hats will disappear, its also a question of which will happen first.

I rest my case, my verdict:

Yes, they will disappear, rather we like it or not. :cry: :boohoo:

I think the beautiful party hats are going extinct, and it will be sooner

rather than later. Every day, when older players quit or retire from

runescape, any rare items left in that persons bank will be lost forever, in-

cluding party hats, pumpkins, and any other rares that person may have

left in their banks. Personally,i'm somewhat glad that the party hats are

going extinct, because all I see are players spending all their hard-earned

money on an item that is virtually worthless when it comes to stats.

The didn't earn it in the first place-the hat itself may have been sold

numerous times in order for someone to make a quick few mil.

1034129518geordiequeen.jpg

this brings kinda off topic question to mind... what would the last rare be and how expensive? :-k :shock: well yes fortunatly they will all be gone :thumbsup:?

Off-Topic: I think that the santa hat (the least rare of the rare items, will be the last to go. They were introduced at the lastest point in the game of all the "tradeable" rares, There were more than likly more people playing and more of them distributed. I think the first to go will be the christmas cracker. (for obvious reasons)

K_Kazul.jpeg

If I ever quit, I'd keep my rares in my bank.

So they'd never be 'gone' since they'd still be there.

And also, I'd most likely come back to the game just to see what it is like. Could be fun to find out I have one of the only party hats or something.