Bad day in chemistry class

Google90

Carbon Dioxide = :shame:

One of my products for a lab today was carbon dioxide, water and salt. As the carbon dioxide gas rose up, a little went up my nose. It felt like my internal organs melting :-w . As this happened, I got startled and I knocked some nitric acid right on my sneakers, almost completely putting a hole in them. <3:

Share your experiences with chemicals :thumbsup:

Ouch. Well, I haven't had that much expiernce with chemicals (8th grade), but my science partner kept sniffing the ones we weren't supposed to touch/ do anything with without gloves. Forgot exactly what it was, though. #-o

Oh and that same lab partner has the school record of 14 things broke in a week, and 29 total. Now he can't touch anything that can break. :lol:

R.I.P Shiva and The Old Nite

Visit My Huge Goals!!! <---- Click This

My Pk Gallery

supdefnubew6.png

GWD: 3x Saradomin Sword, 2x Saradomin Hilt, 2X B Boots, 1x Tasset, 2X B Plate, 2X Shard, 1X D Med

TDs: 3x Solo Claws, 1x Solo Armour Piece

99 Untrimmed HP, 0% Pc'd and before Soul Wars -- Trimmed July 1, 2009

First Untrimmed HP Cape to 96 summon, top 300 to 96 summon

Proud owner of the strength, magic, range, and hitpoints capes.

Spa_Ins/LOLCANADA on IRC.

One of my products for a lab today was carbon dioxide, water and salt. As the . As the carbon dioxide gas rose up, a little went up my nose. It felt like my internal organs melting :-w . As this happened, I got startled and I knocked some nitric acid right on my sneakers, almost completely putting a hole in them. <3:

:ohnoes:

The wost thing I've had done to me with chemicalls is a few minor spills of silver nitrate { Ag(NO3)2 } which, if your familiar with the chemical, stains skin and takes sometimes weeks to get out.

One of my products for a lab today was carbon dioxide, water and salt. As the . As the carbon dioxide gas rose up, a little went up my nose. It felt like my internal organs melting :-w . As this happened, I got startled and I knocked some nitric acid right on my sneakers, almost completely putting a hole in them. <3:

:ohnoes:

The wost thing I've had done to me with chemicalls is a few minor spills of silver nitrate { Ag(NO3)2 } which, if your familiar with the chemical, stains skin and takes sometimes weeks to get out.

Agno3stain.jpg

Wow. They probably can be bigger? Thats a dark spot

a year ago, someone stole hydrochloric acid(or the one that explodes with water) and had a vial of it in his pocket, somehow someon ending up spilling water on it and it blew off a chunk of his leg and his football scholarship. :lol:

Are you sure hydrochloric acid blows up? I mixed hydrochloric acid with sodium bicarbonate today, and ironically, water was a product. Along with salt and and carbon dioxide

---

Sorry for double post

by explode he probably means burn and lose his scholarship as in he got suspended for stealing and possessing a dangerous sustance

HCl + NaHCO3 -> NaCl + H2CO3, H2CO3 -> H2O + CO2

its a neutralization rxn. usually, CO2 does nothing to you unless in large, large amounts, in which it kills you

hmmm, well last year my science teacher deceded we would mix sugar and hydrocloric acid? (i think it was hydrochloric). long story short, she "forgot" that the reaction produced a poisonous gas, and we had to evacuate a building of 700-some people.

a year ago, someone stole hydrochloric acid(or the one that explodes with water) and had a vial of it in his pocket, somehow someon ending up spilling water on it and it blew off a chunk of his leg and his football scholarship. :lol:

Are you sure hydrochloric acid blows up? I mixed hydrochloric acid with sodium bicarbonate today, and ironically, water was a product. Along with salt and and carbon dioxide

---

Sorry for double post

Sounds like a neutralisation reaction (where acid and base react to form a salt and water) as I think I remember hearing somewhere that sodium bicarbonate is basic.

hmmm, well last year my science teacher deceded we would mix sugar and hydrocloric acid? (i think it was hydrochloric). long story short, she "forgot" that the reaction produced a poisonous gas, and we had to evacuate a building of 700-some people.

ROFL that's funny :thumbsup:

I don't have any stories.

tifsbti6oi.gif

Handling Hydrochloric Acid has always made me scared. :(

I've never really had an accident with a chemical, but we had to heat up a test tube of H202 one time, then weigh it. I used the clamps to take the test tube from above the burner and set it on the scale, and the damn test tube rolled off the scale and landed on a plastic tray. It burned all the way through the plastic. :shock:

3898000bYVcx.png

by explode he probably means burn and lose his scholarship as in he got suspended for stealing and possessing a dangerous sustance

Well, he didn't lose the scholarship because of stealing the chemical, he lost his scholarship because he lost a large chunk of his leg, and couldn't play sports anymore, not sure if he has to live in a wheelchair now or not...

1z2zrwo.jpg

Not really with chemicals, but the bunsen burner. I couldn't get the fire going. But the gas was still coming out. So when it finally lit, the flame just exploded out towards my hand. But luckily, i dodged it really fast. Didn't know you could really outrun fire. :o

gr454rc.gif

Not really with chemicals, but the bunsen burner. I couldn't get the fire going. But the gas was still coming out. So when it finally lit, the flame just exploded out towards my hand. But luckily, i dodged it really fast. Didn't know you could really outrun fire. :o

d00d your supposed to shut off the gas if you cant light it within a few seconds :oops: :P

as for lab slip ups, they've never really happened to me except when those lighters saftey wouldnt budge.

LP: Yeah i like those alot. my teacher showed us a bunch of different colors and we did some ourselves. it was preety cool.

happiehour.jpeg

One of my most fun chemistry moments was this year in AP Chem. The group working next to mine was working with a beaker of about 50 mL of .5M Sb3Cl in 6M HCl and one of the group members moved his arm across the table without thinking and spilled it all over his right arm and leg. He was so worried about the stuff on his arm (understandable as 6 Molar hydrochloric acid is pretty strong) that he neglected the stuff on his pants. Long story short he has about 4 - 1 inch holes on his pants by the end of the day.

Not sure if this is something I would be bragging about xD. I hope you told your teacher O.o. I'm suprised I haven't had any mishaps with chemicals considering how much of a klutz I can be at times. I guess I just haven't done many experiments with chemicals lately as I had chemistry two years ago, environmental science last year, and now I have anatomy.

Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/Aaronm14/

MY FAVORITE BAND:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... d=64310717

And the bible is the big book of lies, call me a racist if you must.

Pfft lucky, thanks to the EU, the acids we us in our class couldn't erode butter....

My only real story from Chemistry, is from a few weeks ago or so. We did something with chloroform. The teacher naturally warned us to keep our nose the hell away from the bell jar full of it at the front, but being the responsible, smart young man I am, I accepted the dare to take a great whiff of it.

Well, I fainted almost instantaneously, hit my head on a stool on the way down and was off school for a few days...

supernovasigst7.jpg

Can someone please tell me what that equation is? The "poisonous gas" is probably chlorine, so the best I could do is (my school doesn't do much chemistry or physics until 10th and 11th (I'm in 9.7th)):

2HCl + C6H12O6 -> Cl2 + 4H2O + 6CH + O2

Losers...

Are you blind or ignoring me on purpose?

Even though I sometimes side with religious people in some debates, I no longer consider myself religious.

thats hilarious

sigh.png