WINDOWS VISTA

maximu160490

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it true people using Vista can't open files from XP? And this is causing an uproar?

BTW can you just get the Windows Vista skin?

What kind of files from XP? I took a hard drive from another computer to back-up everything on my computer before I switched. I could get everything off the drive with no problems under vista.

goldenblade995.png

Is it true people using Vista can't open files from XP? And this is causing an uproar?

This probably stems from the whole Office 2007 change. Office has problems opening files between 2007 and earlier versions without a patch for conversions. Beyond that, I've heard of 0 problems moving files between them. I had no issues with the betas. :?

I just ordered my new computer, it's got awesome specs more than capable of Vista. But I stuck with XP, partially for the price (saved 130$), and partially for what I call legacy games. If Vista can't even run all modern (post 2004) games in all their greatness, what chance does it have of playing games from 10-12 years ago?

bestsiggycopy5bo.jpg

Ludicrous pricing differences:

Home Basic upgrade in the US: $100 (ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã52)

Home Basic upgrade in the UK: ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã100 ($193)

fractalsignature2lq4.jpg

As much as I like the aesthetics, 100 quid is a lot of money to spend on that.

Note that I said Home Basic - you don't get the aesthetics with that. You have to get Home Premium if you want to use Aero.

fractalsignature2lq4.jpg

i heard it focuses all of your system memory on your applications to maximize it...unlike the other ones where the memory sits there "idle"

i also need it for One Note 7 for school...with this [cabbage]ty tablet pc...meh

i guess i'll just stick it out until Mac's next gen of laptops

You can't play any games on a MAC.

There are games you can play on a Mac - World of Warcraft for instance.

Do not confuse Mac (Macintosh) with MAC (Media Access Control - a sublayer of the data link layer of the OSI model - most commonly associated with an ethernet address, or MAC address).

fractalsignature2lq4.jpg

I have only tried the beta witch was decent considering it is a new OS but i have herd the RC1 version is much better. I have herd that its performance has been improved greatly so it runs just as fast as XP. It is not worth buying it unless you are actually out to buy a new OS not just "upgrade".

You can't play any games on a MAC.

There are games you can play on a Mac - World of Warcraft for instance.

Do not confuse Mac (Macintosh) with MAC (Media Access Control - a sublayer of the data link layer of the OSI model - most commonly associated with an ethernet address, or MAC address).

I can vouch for Mr Putter here when I say he knows what he's talking about. See, he's a gamer. He likes games. Lots of games. Mac doesn't do Lots of games. Just a few :)

You CAN play runescape on a Mac. I know this first hand. And you can also play Halo and the like, so long as it has been designed to work with Macintosh.

I think Mr Putter is also a bit past runescape :)

This is what happened in a computer store:

Dad: Hi, we were hoping to look into Vista, how much is it?

Guy: It's ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã95.

Me: Is it any good?

Guy: Uhh... Well... You see...

--

Says it all. You see, he later explained how it was incompatible with the majority of decent firewalls, and several other programs. Seeing that really funny vid explaining how crap the voice recognition is, it seems that XP is a cut-the-crap version of Vista which in my opinion is actually better. I'm keeping with my trusty XP until it become compatible with more programs, and several bugs are fixed.

You're basing a whole operating system off what a guy in the store says? Do some research and don't be so shallow ;)

smithie3.jpg

I just posted something! ^_^ to the terrorist...er... kirbybeam.

I can vouch for Mr Putter here when I say he knows what he's talking about. See, he's a gamer. He likes games. Lots of games. Mac doesn't do Lots of games. Just a few :)

Well I am a pedant and as such I couldn't let such an egregiously, nay, DANGEROUSLY ill-worded post slide without pointing out the flaws. That would not be upholding the pedant's charter and I could lose my accreditation should I be audited (and the auditors take pedantry to a new level).

I was just pointing out that Macs and MACs aren't the same thing. I acknowledge that there are virtually no games for the Mac, but he did say any and there are some.

fractalsignature2lq4.jpg

alls vista is a wormhole virus paradise i really dont know why they would release without strong security measures (ugh hum recall windows xp when it came out)

I've been using vista unprotected (disabled windows defender and i didn't update it) since November 2006 and I haven't has a single virus or piece of malware (I've got Kaspersky for vista now).

If the idiots didn't download random crap then they wouldn't have any problems in the first place. What other strong security measures would you suggest? Maybe you could even suggest them to Microsoft for the next windows.

If you've got the right hardware then vista is actually not as bad as people have said it is. Sure there are still some bugs but none of them has actually affected me (apart from when manufacturers don't get test their drivers before giving them out but that's the manufacturer's problem - not M$).

alls vista is a wormhole virus paradise i really dont know why they would release without strong security measures (ugh hum recall windows xp when it came out)

Yay uninformed rants!

:wall:

ok im sorry its true that you can positively run vista but you can download anything in fear of a virus. why not just stick with xp until vista is a powerhouse (which it already is) but more updated. vista itself is actually worth the money for the upgrade comes with new tools and what not blah blah blah i dont wanna go down the list. congratulations if you do have vista its stable but not as stable as xp in my opinion. i dont have a magic security measure. :D its just up to who has the computer and if they want the update i cant find anything that would wanna make me update so im sticking with what works :D.

wolfun7.jpg

Most people that are having problems with Vista crashing is because of the drivers or another huge reason is that their memory isn't stable.

Vista actively uses all of the available memory, unlike XP. Which means if you have any bad spots or overclocked too much you will have memory errors and maybe have full system reboots or the blue screen of death (yes it still exists in vista).

That is what happend to me when I though I had my memory stable using XP . I upped it another .1v and I have not had a Vista crash since.

The only thing I don't like in 64-bit is the use of signed drivers only. It's used to stop illegal drivers getting installed to copy movies and other stuff, but most people just want to overclock their videocard and can't because of the no signed drivers. I am specifically talking about ATITool.

There's a way to turn it off until next system reboot but no permanent fix yet :( .

goldenblade995.png

Can anyone who uses vista inform me of program compatibility?

Some programs I rely on:

VLC

Winamp

Firefox

uTorrent

Daemon Tools

Trillian 3 Pro

Samurize

Motherboard Monitor

GrabIT

Photoshop CS

Thunderbird

Process Explorer

The Proxomitron

Logitech Setpoint

Irfanview

Picasa

fractalsignature2lq4.jpg

Starting a little debate here.

When will you upgrade to windows vista? have you tried the beta versions and is it worth the $100-250 dollars (approx) or the ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã100-ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã250 uk price?

I will wait for the first service pack, or wait to find a good crack on the net after :-w

I'd love to have windows vista as my OS, but I play a lot of games, and I read that most of the games I play aren't working very well with Vista.

So I imagine it's going to be a few months before I try windows vista.

- Denic.