~~ The Smashing Pumpkins ~~

sibmaster

Unfortunately, thanks to youtube, ever since most music videos were banned in the UK, the videos have been lost, and no matter how hard i try i cant get them to work again, so sorry.

spct4.png

[hide=Updates To Thread]30th August - Thread completed and Posted, Update section added.

31st August - Background info added to Siva, Cherub Rock, Rocket and Today.

7th September - All songs now have background info

24th September - Discography added for the first 3 albums released, more coming soon!

25th September - Discography Section Complete

26th September - Thread was made CYB worthy and was made a sticky ::'

2nd October - Section added on James Iha's solo career (after The Pumpkins)

21st October - "Bullet With Butterfly Wings" video added to list

29th October - "Most Recent Activity" section added, with new vid in it, "GLOW - Smashing Pumpkins"

16th November - "Superchrist" added into "Most Recent Activity" section

2nd December - NEW VIDEO for " G.L.O.W." added into "Most Recent" section.[/hide]

[hide=Most Recent Activity ~ "GLOW"]G.L.O.W. - The Official Video

[/hide]

The Smashing Pumpkins.

Possibly one of the greatest bands of the 90s.

For people who have no idea who they are, here is some information on them.

The smashing pumpkins were an american alternative rock band that formed in Chicago in 1988. The band consisted of Billy Corgan, James Iha, D'arcy Wretzky (early days), Melissa Auf Der Maur (late 90s) and Jimmy Chamberlin. Billy Corgan - Guitar and Vocals. James Iha - Lead guitar and partial vocals. D'arcy Wretzky and Melissa Auf Der Maur - Bass Guitar. Jimmy Chamberlin - Drums.

The band played numerous types of rock, such as: gothic rock, dream rock, psychadelic rock and arena rock. When the band first started out, it was very psychadelic rock, having started in the late 80s. But as they progressed into the 90s their taste grew more gothic/heavy.

Billy Corgan is the group's primary songwriter, his grand musical ambitions and cathartic lyrics have shaped the band's albums and songs, which have been described as "anguished, bruised reports from Billy Corgan's nightmare-land"

When the band started out during the late 80s they didnt appear very popular, but none the less continued on in hope of hitting big! In 1993, they did just that, with their album "Siamese Dream". They became mainstream, and were soon heard all over America and Europe. Their second major album "Mellon Collie and Infinate Sadness", which was released in 1995 hit number one in the album charts and sold over 18.25 million albums in the United States alone.

The band continued on through the nineties, however, internal fighting, drug use, and diminishing sales hampered the band and led to a 2000 break-up. This struck the music business hard, as they were one of the most well known bands of the 90s.

In 2006, Billy Corgan announced that the smashing pumpkins would be re-grouping, and so him along with jimmy chamberlin tried to reform. They joined with musicians Jeff Schroeder, Ginger Reyes and Lisa Harrington, as James iha and Melissa Auf Der Maur didnt want to get involved. James had his own solo career to think about, and Melissa was happy with the way things were.

In 2007, they realeased the "Zeitgeist" album which took the record shops by storm, and fans of the once smashing pumpkins fled to the stores to buy it. It was a great success. However, early this year, another album was released known as "American Gothic" which contained only 4 tracks. This album was criticised for its lack of creativity and "the smashing pumpkins feel".

[hide=Siva - Smashing Pumpkins] [/hide]

Siva - One of their earliest mainstream songs

"Siva", pronounced shee-va, was the third single released from the smashing pumpkins on their debut album. It was written by Billy Corgan, and was the first ever video to be recorded by them, so basically their first video. In an early interview with Billy Corgan, he admitted that he had thought of the name for the song before he had written it, had labeled dozens of tapes with its name, and even considered naming the band "Siva" instead of "Smashing Pumpkins".

[hide=Cherub Rock - Smashing Pumpkins] [/hide]

Cherub Rock - July, 1993. Definately shows that psychadelic rock was still alive.

"Cherub Rock", was the first single released off their second album "Siamese Dream" and was written by Billy Corgan. It was nominated for Best Hard Rock Performance with Vocal at the Grammy Awards of 1994, and has appeared in Guitar Hero III and Rock Band.

[hide=Rocket - Smashing Pumpkins] [/hide]

Rocket - A truly amazing song

"Rocket" was the fourth and final single from their second album, Siamese Dream, and was written by Billy Corgan. The CD single is a valuable rarity to fans of the band as it only saw a release in Australia.

[hide=Today - Smashing Pumpkins] [/hide]

Today - Probably their most well known and mainstream song.

The song, though seemingly upbeat, contains dark lyrics. Corgan wrote the song about a day in which he was having suicidal thoughts, however, the contrast between the grim subject matter of the song and the soft instrumental part during the verses, coupled with use of irony in the lyrics, left many listeners unaware of the song's tale of depression. The music video, directed by Stéphane Sednaoui, brought even more mainstream success to the band through repeated airplay on MTV.

[hide=Bullet With Butterfly Wings - Smashing Pumpkins] [/hide]

Bullet With Butterfly Wings - A dark song

It was the lead single from the band's 1995 double album Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness. The song won the 1997 Grammy Award for Best Hard Rock Performance. This song was the band's first Top 40 US hit, peaking at number 22

[hide=1979 - Smashing Pumpkins] [/hide]

1979 - Remembering childhood

Written by Billy Corgan, it was the second single from the band's third album, Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness. The song was nominated for the Record of the Year and Best Rock Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocal at the Grammy Awards, and won an MTV Video Music Award for Best Alternative Video. According to Corgan, the song is about making the transition from youth to adulthood

[hide=Tonight Tonight - Smashing Pumpkins] [/hide]

Tonight Tonight - The Smashing Pumpkins changed their look at this point during 1996. Also my fav song =P

It was the fourth single and second track from their third album, Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness, and was released in April 1996. "Tonight, Tonight" was critically acclaimed and commercially well-received upon its release. Additionally, the music video accompanying the song was successful, and has won several awards.The original idea for the music video was for a Busby Berkeley-style video, complete with "people diving into champagne glasses." The band was set to begin production on the video, when they discovered that the Red Hot Chili Peppers had done a similarly styled video for their song "Aeroplane," which was almost identical to what they had wanted to do. And so, a new concept, inspired by Georges Méliès's silent film A Trip to the Moon, came from directors Jonathan Dayton and Valerie Faris, who got the idea for the video because the album cover for Mellon Collie reminded them of early silent films.

[hide=Stand Inside Your Love - Smashing Pumpkins] [/hide]

Stand Inside Your Love - Once again, going for a different tone here. In my eyes, one of the greatest love songs ever written.

It was the official first single from their fifth album, Machina/The Machines of God and the first single released with Jimmy Chamberlin back in the band.

[hide=The Everlasting Gaze - The Smashing Pumpkins] [/hide]

The Everlasting Gaze - A totally different style to their usual music, and one of the last songs they ever released as a video, before the split in 2000.

It is the opening track and first single from the 2000 album Machina/The Machines of God.

Corgan has said that this song "has a lot to do with spirituality and trying to find my place in the universe and sort of humbly accepting limitations and the things I've been graced with. It's more of a humanistic world view. I'm not writing anymore for the tortured teen--both me and whoever was listening. I'm writing with the idea that everybody's experiencing these things all the time, and even if they're not experiencing them personally, they're affected by them. You can live in the street and write about the garbage, or you can try to get up a little higher and look down and try to see the bigger picture".

Discography!

[hide=Gish]May 28th, 1991 - Gish

Record Label : Caroline Records

SmashingPumpkins-Gish.jpg

All songs Written By Billy Corgan, except for track 1:

1: I Am The One

2: Siva

3:Rhinorcerous

4:Bury

5:Crush

6:Suffer

7: Snail

8:Tristessa

9: Window Paine

10: Daydream / I'm Going Crazy (Hidden Track)[/hide][hide=Siamese Dream]July 27th, 1993 - Siamese Dream

Record Label: Virgin Records

SmashingPumpkins-SiameseDream.jpg

All songs were written by Billy Corgan, except for tracks 7 and 9:

1:Cherub Rock

2:Quiet

3:Today

4:Hummer

5:Rocket

6:Disarm

7:Soma

8:Geek U.S.A

9:Mayonaise

10:Spaceboy

11:Silver**** [ sorry, tip it wont let me post it]

12:Sweet Sweet

13:Luna[/hide][hide=Mellon Collie And The Infinate Sadness]October 24th 1995 - Mellon Collie And The Infinate Sadness

1012_1214285015.jpg

Disc 1:

All Songs Written By Billy Corgan, except for track 14:

1:Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness

2:Tonight Tonight

3:Jelly Belly

4:Zero

5:Here Is No Why

6:Bullet With Butterfly Wings

7:To Forgive

8:**** You (An Ode To No-one)

9:Love

10:Cupid De Locke

11:Galopagos

12:Muzzle

13:Porcelina of the Vast Oceans

14: Take Me Down (Written and sung By James Iha)

Disc 2:

All songs written by Billy Corgan, except for track 14:

1:Where Boys Fear To Tread

2: Bodies

3:Thirty Three

4:In The Arms Of Sleep

5:1979

6:Tales Of A Scorched Earth

7:Thru The Eyes Of Ruby

8:Stumbleine

9:X.Y.U

10:We Only Come Out At Night

11:Beautiful

12: Lily (MY One And Only)

13:By Starlight

14: Farewell And Goodnight[/hide][hide=Adore]June 2nd, 1998 - Adore

SmashingPumpkins-Adore.jpg

All songs written by Billy Corgan

1:To Sheila

2:Ava Adore

3:Perfect

4:Daphne Descends

5:Once Upon A Time

6:Tear

7:Crestfallen

8:Appels + Oranjes

9:Pug

10:The Tale of Dusty and Pistol Pete

11:Annie Dog

12:Shame

13:Behold! The Night Mare

14:For Martha

15:Blank Page

Japanese Release Bonus Tracks:

16:Once In A While

17:17[/hide][hide=Machina/The Machines of God]Febuary 29th, 2000 - Machina/The Machines of God

The_smashing_pumpkins_machina_cover.jpg

All songs written by Billy Corgan:

1:The Everlasting Gaze

2:Raindrops + Sunshowers

3:Stand Inside Your Love

4:I Of The Mourning

5:The Sacred And Profain

6:Try, Try, Try

7:Heavy Metal Machine

8:This Time

9:The Imploding Voice

10:Glass And The Ghost Children

11:Wound

12:The Crying Tree Of Mercury

13:With Every Light

14:Blue Skies Bring Tears

15:Age Of Innocence[/hide][hide=Machina II/The Friends & Enemies of Modern Music]September 5th, 2000 - Machina II/The Friends & Enemies of Modern Music

Record Label: Constantinople Records

Image-Machina_II_-_EP1_Cover.jpgImage-Machina_II_-_EP2_Cover.jpgImage-Machina_II_-_EP3_Cover.jpgMachina_ii.jpg

This Album is quite wierd, it was not commercially released, only over the internet was it available, and there were several versions, each one containing different tracks.

All songs written by Billy Corgan, except where noted:

EP1:

1:Slow Dawn

2:Vanity

3:Saturnine

4:Glass

EP2:

1:Soul Power (Written By James Brown)

2:Cash Car Star

3:Lucky 13

4:Speed Kills

EP3:

1:If There Is A God

2:Try

3:Heavy Metal Machine

Two-LP set:

1:Glass

2:Cash Car Star

3:Dross

4:Real Love

5:Go

6:Let Me Give The World To You

7:Innosense

8:Home

9:Blue Skies Bring Tears

10:White Spyder

11:In My Body

12: If There Is A God

13:Le Deux Machina

14:Atom Bomb[/hide][hide=Zeitgeist]July 10th, 2007 - Zeitgeist

Record Label: Reprise Records

Zeitgeist_cover.png

All Tracks Written By Billy Corgan:

1:Doomsday Clock

2:7 Shades Of Black

3:Bleeding The Orchid

4:That's The Way (My Love Is)

5:Tarantula

6:Starz

7:United States

8:Neverlost

9:Bring The Light

10:(Come On) Lets Go!

11:For God And Country

12:Pomp and Circumstances

Bonus tracks:

9:Death from Above

11:Stellar

13:Zeitgeist

Best Buy reissue:

8:Death from Above

11:Neverlost

12:Stellar

13:Ma Belle

14:For God And Country

15:Pomp and Circumstances[/hide]

James Iha

After splitting from the Pumpkins, James Iha tried to start up a solo career, im not completely sure how successful this was, but i do know that he was successful in releasing this one single, which to be honest is AMAZINGLY good. Please Watch.

[hide=James Iha - Be Strong Now] [/hide]

Please note, there are A LOT more smashing Pumpkins videos and songs out there, i have just chosen this select few, as i think these are some of their best.

Thank you for reading, and watching, please post your opinions and happy posting people!!!

Smashing Pumpkins Fan? Check out my sticky! ~ CYB Worthy viewtopic.php?f=77&t=759663

lol123et5.jpg

sibmaster93.png

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Love the Pumkins. <3: I have most of their albums and I can listen to most of them straight through everytime.

They released Zeitgeist in the Summer of 2007. Zeitgeist

It contained more than 4 tracks, so I'm a bit confused... :?

sig2-1.png

Last.Fm

My Bloggy

Proud to have served on Tip.it Crew

Love the Pumkins. <3: I have most of their albums and I can listen to most of them straight through everytime.

They released Zeitgeist in the Summer of 2007. Zeitgeist

It contained more than 4 tracks, so I'm a bit confused... :?

Oh sorry, the dates were wrong i think, i was thinking of the one released in 2008 called "American Gothic" i will have to alter this

I have the zeitgeist album.. .. ..i should know this :?

Thank you for your post.

Smashing Pumpkins Fan? Check out my sticky! ~ CYB Worthy viewtopic.php?f=77&t=759663

lol123et5.jpg

sibmaster93.png

They're not the best,but they ain't bad.Today,1979 and A Killer in Me are all I know though,so tell me more.

devilgod.jpeg

so i herd u liek devarts?

If you look at me and feel offended by my 666-ism,think.I could be just as offended by your "cross".

[hide=This's why I'm hot]

The Eleventh Commandment:Thou Shalst only say "Amen,brother".

Amen, brother :lol:

Amen, brudda (referring to the 10th commandment)

amen Bruder! (german ftw)

I'm invulnerable to everything, except Lenin and Dragoonson.

That's impossible.

I love people.[/hide]

I shall add in some background information on the songs soon enough.

If anyone has any information that you feel was important and could be added, please mention and i will add it in and give you credit for it.

~ Sibmaster

EDIT: Just to let you know, what you named as "a killer in me" is actually called "Disarm", another one of their great songs.

lol123et5.jpg

sibmaster93.png

They're not the best,but they ain't bad.Today,1979 and A Killer in Me are all I know though,so tell me more.

Disarm, Rhinoceros, Bullet with butterfly wings, Rat in a cage and Tonight tonight are pretty good to ::' .

They're alright, have some good songs.

;>

Disarm, Rhinoceros, Bullet with butterfly wings, Rat in a cage and Tonight tonight are pretty good to ::' .

They're alright, have some good songs.

My two favourite are Tonight Tonight and Bullet with Butterfly Wings. But i enjoy just about every one of their songs, they all have such a glow about them, and you can listen to the albums continuosly without getting bored.

Also, has anyone else heard one of James Iha's songs from his solo career called "Be Strong Now", with request i could add it to the thread with some background info. It is a very good song.

lol123et5.jpg

sibmaster93.png

I never was interested with them. For some reason they don't really sound inviting or something, so I'm not curious to hear more material. Sorry

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!

Has anyone actually seen the pumpkins live at any point in time?

I really wanted to go see their recent tour that is happening.. .. .. ..well now lol

But unfortunately it's in america :evil:

lol123et5.jpg

sibmaster93.png

Argh, they did this one song that I just can't remember! It was my favorite song of all time, but I've lost everything but the feeling it gave me to the annals of getting punched in the head. :(

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

I just heard the Pumpkins song that's on a preview for The Watchmen. It gave me chills...seriously.

The song is called The Beginning is The End is The Beginning

The song is a re-make of one of the Batman themes.

sig2-1.png

Last.Fm

My Bloggy

Hey, Sib, check out the Champion Your Band sticky at the top of the page. You should do one. It needs a bit more traffic, and it seems like you know enough about these guys to make it worth our while to read. =P

lSEHB.gif

Being immature is a part of being mature.

Hey, Sib, check out the Champion Your Band sticky at the top of the page. You should do one. It needs a bit more traffic, and it seems like you know enough about these guys to make it worth our while to read. =P

I read it and became very confused on what to do :?

But i have already said that on the actual sticky, so any responses, please reply to that.

And thank you for comments people :thumbsup:

~ Sibmaster

lol123et5.jpg

sibmaster93.png

Another reason to look forward to Guitar Hero World Tour: Billy Corgan playable character and release of a new single on the game as well as 3 other Pumpkins songs. \'

wow, i didnt know that XD

shame its for DS =P

lol123et5.jpg

sibmaster93.png

Another reason to look forward to Guitar Hero World Tour: Billy Corgan playable character and release of a new single on the game as well as 3 other Pumpkins songs. \'

shame its for DS =P

Your thinking of Guitar Hero: On Tour.

World Tour (a.k.a. Guitar hero 4) comes out in October for every major platform. ::'

sig2-1.png

Last.Fm

My Bloggy

shame its for DS =P

Your thinking of Guitar Hero: On Tour.

World Tour (a.k.a. Guitar hero 4) comes out in October for every major platform. ::'

Excellent!!! I will defo be getting that for 360 :lol:

lol123et5.jpg

sibmaster93.png