Best Internet/Computer protection program/firewall/scanners?

SuicidalPk

For the first time in YEARS, i got a virus.

when i got a new computer, i didn't think i would need to use or DL the old ad-aware, spybot s&d tools, or even my old favorite firewall, sygate, to protect my internets. i thought firefox would be enough, and that the only reason i was getting spyware, viruses, and all that other crap in the past was because i used I.E..

and i was right.. atleast until today.

my virus wasn't as powerful/intricate as the other i've danced around with in the past, but that old annoying feeling that i use to have back in the day of computer management noobiness returned to me as well as the frustration of wasted time spent trying to track the virus down. Even though it was slight and minor, it made me realize i'd better stop slacking and actually take better care of the comp.

So i'd like to ask you guys, what do you think is the best firewall today? The best spyware remover? ad-aware remover? virus remover? All in one remover?

I, as well as any others who are in the same situation as me, would greatly appreciate it! :thumbsup:

This should really belong in Tech and Computers.

On Topic: I use Trend Micro, and I find that it can do everything that I need it to do, and more.

My relaxation method involves a bottle of lotion, beautiful women, and partial nudity. Yes I get massages.

ojdv.jpg

best firewall: comodo

best adaware remover: Adaware 2008 and spybot S&D combined

virus remover: I use AVG Free myself but many people say NOD32 is the best, but you have to pay for it i think. im not saying avg's the best but it certainly gets the job done nicely for me, never had any problems.

I'm just going to add that Firefox is not safer than IE. It just has less security holes than IE.

As for AV programs, trash already named the major ones, although I don't like AVG seeing as it let a few viruses go an a few of my friend's computers.

Hiya, I work for an internet service provider and this is what we recomend to our customers:

Free Software

Anti-virus : AVG 8.0

Spyware: Spybot Search and Destroy / Adaware. (Hijack this too, but we dont recommend it because of its sheer power)

Firewall: Honestly if your hispeed modem has a firewall, I dont really recomend a software one like zonealarm.

Make sure you get adblock for Firefox. Noscript block works well too.

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

Personally I prefer Avira over AVG, as I found it to be slightly quicker and it has a better detection rate, and Avira has rootkit scan as standard in the free version. If you don't mind paying for something then NOD32 is supposed to be good too.

I'll second Adblock plus for Firefox, it's a great add-on which removes nearly all slow loading and annoying flash adverts.

draciontheman.png

"In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

~Free~

Antivirus: Avira.

Anti-sypware: Ad-Aware 2008 free, and Spybot S&D (maybe Spyware terminator or spyware blaster, can't remember which, instead of Spybot, as it can cause problems).

Fierwall: Comodo

~Pay~

Antivirus: NOD32

I don't know about pay antispyware and a pay firewall, because I've never wanted to pay for one, and thus haven't done the research.

I personally would only put AVG and Zone Alarm on someone's computer if I hated them and wanted revenge.

And I have to disagree with Das. Yes, your router's firewall may do a good job at protecting you, but a software firewall will lower the chances of anything getting in even more, and if something does get on, the chance of it making routine communications is almost nil (if you get the right one that is).

[hide=Funny Quotes]

So you sucker punched a kid in the back of the head? Good job.
What scares me is that you're like 10 years old.
-.- im not that freaking young
You were a couple years ago.
It's not racist if its true.
Hmm... I wonder how one goes about throwing someone out a window in a mystic fashion :-k

The mental image for that is freaking awesome.

[/hide]

- I dont need to "get a life." I'm a gamer - I have LOTS of lives!

(these three are the ones i got most experience from)

Free: Comodo firewall+Avira AV.

Pay: Panda IS.

And on-demand scans with SpyBot:S&D+Ad-Aware.

I'm saying it again, common sense will take you a long way.

There are usually AV tests in computer-magazines every now and then, and also information online... So it's just search around and see if you like something.

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

~Free~

Anti-sypware: Ad-Aware 2008 free, and Spybot S&D (maybe Spyware terminator or spyware blaster, can't remember which, instead of Spybot, as it can cause problems).

~Pay~

I don't know about pay antispyware and a pay firewall, because I've never wanted to pay for one, and thus haven't done the research.

I personally would only put AVG and Zone Alarm on someone's computer if I hated them and wanted revenge.

And I have to disagree with Das. Yes, your router's firewall may do a good job at protecting you, but a software firewall will lower the chances of anything getting in even more, and if something does get on, the chance of it making routine communications is almost nil (if you get the right one that is).

And if you seriously hate them you'd give them Norton and Windows defender?

Mysticblade.jpg

ssbbbrawlclubgreen.gif

People in OT eat glass when they are bored. :twss:

OT'ers pee in other peoples drinks :wall:

~Free~

~Pay~

I lol'd, but I think the answer would be yes :P.

--*Let me state up front that I'm not in anyway a "recognized" tech, around these forums, my views only represent my opinion as someone who has a fond passion/interest in computers.--*

Continuing...

You're in the right place. For starters, if you refer to the "How-to Guide" in the Announcements section of this forum, you would see that computer security has four main software aspects: 1. firewall, 2.anti-virus, 3. spyware-remover, 4.browser

However, that thread could use some updating/adjustments. However, this is an area I'm really passionate about...and may even choose as a career one day :mrgreen: . In my humble opinion,

1. Firewall:

One of the best out there is easily Comodo Firewall Pro (and it's free). I personally use it and I have absolutely no complaints thus far...although, mind you I've been using it for approximately a week now. If you want to spend some money, there's Comodo Firewall Pro PLUS which you could buy.

->Another option out there is Zone Alarm...and up to literally a few days ago...before I installed Comodo...I had Zone Alarm, which I thought was amazing...until I was informed otherwise. I then tried Comodo...and...the rest as they say is history. So basically try Comodo, yes?

2. Anti virus:

==>First off, let me make this clear. AVG, Norton and McAfee ARE NOT antivirus programs...they are just garbage, that take up precious hard drive space, yes? I mean...sure, they call themselves "anti virus software", but there are those of us out there who know better. Saying AVG, Norton and McAfee are good "anti virus software" is like saying IE7 is the best browser ever, or Windows Firewall is the best firewall ever...need I say more? :lol:

--If you want good free anti virus software, you could try Avast Home Edition.

Again, if you want to spend money, you could try Kaspersky Anti virus. The best bet though, for paid software, is NOD32...which I currently use, and which is simply amazing. Scanning speed alone...is just...wow.

3. Spyware Remover:

A good free product worth trying is Ad-Aware 2008. It's simple to use and effective. I wouldn't recommend Spybot S&D, because I had it and it caused Firefox serious problems...for some reason...and I couldn't have that, now could I? If you're gonna try Spybot, then use with extreme caution.

4. Browser:

As for the browser...well, you're already using Firefox - nuff said. Just make sure you get some good add-ons like CS Lite, NoScript, Adblock Plus, WOT and Flashblock, keep them up-to-date, and you should be fine. Oh, and also keep Firefox itself, up-to-date as well.

--> One more thing though, it's good to get the individual products, but you do have the option of getting the all-in-one packages, (meaning a firewall and a spyware/virus/malware scanner and remover, in one product) as well. Kaspersky Internet Security (KIS) and ESET Smart Security, are good examples of such software. (I have only used KIS though, and it was very nice). These would be paid products however.

One important caution about all-in-one packages though is that you run the risk of lacking in one area and excelling in the other. For example, Kaspersky is widely recognized for having very good antivirus software, however the firewall in their KIS may be lacking as compared to a specialized firewall program like Comodo Firewall Pro.

Oh and one last important thing, regardless of what program/software you use, you MUST keep it up-to-date as much as is humanly possible. The same goes for you're operating system, particularly if you're using Windows, make sure you keep Windows up-to-date, with Windows Update.

~~This website, gives some information about this same topic area. It was recommended to me by another person in this forum, who helped me out when I had a problem, and you should probably have a look as well: http://windowssecrets.com/

Quotes from Sly:

=> "There's no magic to programming, just LOGIC."

=> "Only the best, is good enough."

]

I'm not sure if I would go with Norton or McAfee...Probably Norton.

I'm going to have to second pretty much everything slymongoose said. I'll add on that my personal view of Spybot is that it shouldn't be your antispyware program. That should be Ad-Aware. Spybot is your "Oh [cabbage], I think I have some malware going on in here" program. If you think you have an infection, or you saw something on your last Ad-Aware scan, run SpyBot. That's what I do, just scan with Ad-Aware, and if I think something's up, I'll run SpyBot.

Kaspersky Internet Security is a great program. I know a few people who use it, and it's actually really good for an all-in-one.

I do have a question for everyone here. Since we all seem to at least acknowledge Comodo as a top 3 firewall, I decided to install it. Well, after getting to about 3/4 done, McAfee fires an alarm that I have a virus...Now, it couldn't have been anything but Comodo, since I was completely disconnected from the internet, and only required processes were running.

The virus was Adware-Websearch. I can't remember which variant it was, it may just be Adware-Websearch, or maybe .dldr. In any case, does anyone know why?

The link in my history is http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/ ... ewall.html

[hide=Funny Quotes]

Hmm... I wonder how one goes about throwing someone out a window in a mystic fashion :-k

[/hide]

Maybe because mcAfee doesn't want a good firewall on your computer? I think your main problem si that you have McAfee.

I'm going to agree with you that KIS is a very good suite, but I'm still chaning to NOD32 with Comodo/Za when my subscription ends.

Maybe because mcAfee doesn't want a good firewall on your computer? I think your main problem si that you have McAfee.

I'm going to agree with you that KIS is a very good suite, but I'm still chaning to NOD32 with Comodo/Za when my subscription ends.

I wasn't trying to persuade you to switch to KIS, I was just seconding that it's a good suite, in case someone may have been wondering by and wanted to know how good it was.

I've been thinking of switching from McAfee, to another free program (McAfee came free as part of our internet subscription)...So, Avira is good, yes? Or is it Avast! I should get? *scratches head*.

I was thinking about a free suite of programs, to replace my resource-hogging, inadequate, current setup...Anyone think that the following would be good?:

Antivirus: Avira AntiVir Personal

Anti-Spyware: Ad-Aware, Spybot Search and Destroy (ICE), and maybe MalwareBytes AntiMalware.

Firewall: Comodo (if it's really just McAfee being jealous).

...Or, the alternative suite...Ubuntu ::' (/joke...for now...I do intend to move on to it eventually though).

[hide=Funny Quotes]

[/hide]

I wasn't trying to persuade you to switch to KIS, I was just seconding that it's a good suite, in case someone may have been wondering by and wanted to know how good it was.

I've been thinking of switching from McAfee, to another free program (McAfee came free as part of our internet subscription)...So, Avast! is good, yes? Or is it Avira I should get? *scratches head*.

I was thinking about a free suite of programs, to replace my resource-hogging, inadequate, current setup...Anyone think that the following would be good?:

Antivirus: Avast

Anti-Spyware: Ad-Aware, Spybot Search and Destroy (ICE), and maybe MalwareBytes AntiMalware.

Firewall: Comodo (if it's really just McAfee being jealous).

...Or, the alternative suite...Ubuntu ::' (/joke...for now...I do intend to move on to it eventually though).

I've already been with KIS for a year now ;).

As for Avast or Avira, to me they perform pretty much the same thing.

As for the rest: =D>

2. Anti virus:

==>First off, let me make this clear. AVG, Norton and McAfee ARE NOT antivirus programs...they are just garbage, that take up precious hard drive space, yes? I mean...sure, they call themselves "anti virus software", but there are those of us out there who know better. Saying AVG, Norton and McAfee are good "anti virus software" is like saying IE7 is the best browser ever, or Windows Firewall is the best firewall ever...need I say more? :lol:

Could you (Or anyone) please explain why they're bad? I always hear that {Software} is bad, but no one ever explains why..

2. Anti virus:

Could you (Or anyone) please explain why they're bad? I always hear that {Software} is bad, but no one ever explains why..

If you are very concerned with security than they are not the best out there, by any means. However if you keep virus definitions up to date in combination with running firefox you should be fine. I run Systmatic virus protection (school requires it) and still use the default Windows firewall, and haven't had any problem so far.

Remember half of it is just being smart.

If you are very concerned with security than they are not the best out there, by any means. However if you keep virus definitions up to date in combination with running firefox you should be fine. I run Systmatic virus protection (school requires it) and still use the default Windows firewall, and haven't had any problem so far.

I'm not concerned about security or anything, I haven't had a security problem in years. I just want to know how and why some anti-virus software are better than others. Most of the things I hear are things that never happened to me ("My systme crashed after I installed {Software}!!) or resource usage.

I'm not concerned about security or anything, I haven't had a security problem in years. I just want to know how and why some anti-virus software are better than others. Most of the things I hear are things that never happened to me ("My systme crashed after I installed {Software}!!) or resource usage.

Better Virus Definitions (means that it can spot more viruses, and the trickier ones) and being less of a system resource hog are usually the two main reasons.

[hide=From previous posts.]

Better Virus Definitions (means that it can spot more viruses, and the trickier ones) and being less of a system resource hog are usually the two main reasons.

[/hide]

-As Nadril rightly said, your "internet intelligence", is just as important as having good software.

-The reason I said Norton, AVG and McAfee are not good software, was because their reputation is very, very bad:

Norton:

1. Norton, from what I've been told (and from very reliable sources, mind you) is a real "resource hog". In other words, it burdens your system...I compare it to the average man trying to hold two bags of cement for say...three (3) hours straight....without putting them down.

2. As Nadril said again, Norton is lacking in virus definition quality...which is the core of any anti-virus software, as compared to say good software like NOD32, Avast! or Kaspersky.

AVG:

1. AVG, while it must be commended for giving us the option of "decent" free software, is infamous for its false-positives, and for its sub-par detection rates (poor quality virus definitions)

McAfee:

1. This one seems to a popular choice to include with software packages or new systems. Infact, my Dell Inspiron came with a subcription of McAfee but I got rid of it faster than you would drop a hot frying pan. I installed KIS from day 1 and I loved it. I would say its virus definitions are also sub-par and this is a reason why it should be avoided.

-Now let me also say, right, that you could have great software like NOD32, Kaspersky, Avast!, Comdo...etc, BUT if your "internet intelligence" is lacking...then you're no better off.

You could have a look at this (safe) website, it has alot of useful information : http://windowssecrets.com/

Quotes from Sly:

=> "There's no magic to programming, just LOGIC."

=> "Only the best, is good enough."

-As Nadril rightly said, your "internet intelligence", is just as important as having good software.

-The reason I said Norton, AVG and McAfee are not good software, was because their reputation is very, very bad:

Norton:

1. Norton, from what I've been told (and from very reliable sources, mind you) is a real "resource hog". In other words, it burdens your system...I compare it to the average man trying to hold two bags of cement for say...three (3) hours straight....without putting them down.

2. As Nadril said again, Norton is lacking in virus definition quality...which is the core of any anti-virus software, as compared to say good software like NOD32, Avast! or Kaspersky.

AVG:

1. AVG, while it must be commended for giving us the option of "decent" free software, is infamous for its false-positives, and for its sub-par detection rates (poor quality virus definitions)

McAfee:

1. This one seems to a popular choice to include with software packages or new systems. Infact, my Dell Inspiron came with a subcription of McAfee but I got rid of it faster than you would drop a hot frying pan. I installed KIS from day 1 and I loved it. I would say its virus definitions are also sub-par and this is a reason why it should be avoided.

-Now let me also say, right, that you could have great software like NOD32, Kaspersky, Avast!, Comdo...etc, BUT if your "internet intelligence" is lacking...then you're no better off.

You could have a look at this (safe) website, it has alot of useful information : http://windowssecrets.com/

There, I un-annoyed your post for you. Green is [bleep]ing horrible to read, which is too bad because it's some decent information.