Barrows: Ancients Vs. Slayer Dart 30 Runs each ..You decide

deangut

Well, I have been running around barrows for sometime now and finally decided to break down 30 to 40 runs from each Normal and Ancient mage. Reason? to see what runes on average I am using and the profit/loss of each.

I normally use 2 (4) dose PPots for normal mage and maybe 1 dose each run for Ancient (only on dharok)

Also This is NOT a guide on HOW to.. there is enough of them.. I just use normal barrow style with guthan in tunnel to heal up and get 20 Killcount ((I normally always get 20+ Killcount))

The break down below is the difference from what I initially took to barrows and what I banked with. So the runes I receive in the chest are included.

He is the break down:

Using Slayer Dart:

Runs: 31

Deaths: -62 = -18,600 gp @ 300 each

Minds: -434

Chaos: 3779 = 566k gp @ 150 each

Bloods: 934 = 560k gp @ 600 each

Bolts: 819 = 163K gp @ 200 each

Coins: = 34k

Prayer Pots (4) : 62 = 459k @ 1850 per dose

Profit Not including Loot: 847k @ 27k per trip

Loot from above: T Hammer / T Legs / Dmed

Using Ancient Magiks:

Runs: 38

Deaths: -875 = -262k gp @ 300 each

Minds: 10,866

Chaos: - 3096 = -464k gp @ 150 each

Bloods: 707 = 424k gp @ 600 each

Bolts: 836 = 167k gp @ 200 each

Coins: = 38k

Prayer Pots (4) : 5 = 27k gp @ 1850 per dose

Profit Not including Loot: 124k @ -3.2k per trip

Loot from above: Dharok Legs / Dmed / Guthan Plate / Verac Skirt / Ahrim Hood

As you can see you make more profit with Reg Magic then Ancient. Prayer Pots are now becoming a little harder to find under 6k, so sometimes Ancients is easier. I set auto cast to Ice Burst (lvl70) this hits hard enough and uses less bloods , My first attack id Ice Blitz (lvl82).

This allows me to freeze Bro for 4 others casts of Burst before I have to bail to other side of casket.

If you go down with normal mage for 30 runs to get some chaos and bloods. Sell or trade bloods for deaths. Go back to Barrows for 30-40 runs with ancients. This will help cut loses for Ancients.

I like ancients for 2 reasons. No ppots and better mage XP. Also makes each trip a game rather then a chore.

So this is a small break down of my last 70 odd trips... I have logged over 3k trips and am now more focused on 85 slayer. If you have any questions on the above info. just respond, I will do my best to answer questions..

Again this isn't a how to guide. Leester and others have great guides. I just wanted to break down the costs and stuff of each type of style.

Questions

(Q)

Which spell do I use for Ancient?

(A)

I set auto cast to Ice Burst (lvl70) this hits hard enough and uses less bloods , My first attack id Ice Blitz (lvl82).

This allows me to freeze Bro for 4 others casts of Burst before I have to bail to other side of casket.

(Q)

What's the time difference?

(A)

I normally add 1 to 3 minutes to each run for Ancient. This is because you need to run, and reset your blitz for the next round of Bursts.

(Q)

tewas wrote:

not to be rude, but you did 31 run, and used 62 deaths with magic dart? i use about 75 deaths and 6 doses of pray each run.

check for typo with death runes amount

(A)

Questions are not rude...

That's what was used after I banked... Meaning my net loss... You get deaths/chaos and other runes from chest, when you get kill count.

So those are the correct number for 20 killcounts

BTW my stats:

Deangut

Attack / Strngth / Def : 88

Mage: 87

Prayer: 67

Range: 91

HP: 92

Good luck and see you down at the barrows (World 48 and sometimes 9)

not to be rude, but you did 31 run, and used 62 deaths with magic dart? i use about 75 deaths and 6 doses of pray each run.

1500+ total 89 cmb; 1600+ total and under 93 cmb.

02/04/07 reached all skills 60+ under lvl 90 cmb.

07/19/07 reached all skills 70+ at lvl 93 cmb.

Prayer is good for herbs

Questions are not rude...

That's what was used after I banked... Meaning my net loss... You get deaths/chaos and other runes from chest, when you get kill count.

So those are the correct number for 20 killcounts

Which spell do I use for Ancient?

I set auto cast to Ice Burst (lvl70) this hits hard enough and uses less bloods , My first attack id Ice Blitz (lvl82).

What's the time difference? I normally add 1 to 3 minutes to each run for Ancient. This is because you need to run, and reset your blitz for the next round of Bursts.

Updated stats to show how many ppots I used

now try and do normal magic and do like fire blasts. I'd like to see statistics like that, plus it would be useful for santanzas guide
If someone else wants to and reply I would be happy to add..

Again I use Ancients about 80% of the time. Only use Slayer dart when I need to recoup some chaos's.

oh ok now i see where u got this number :)

i'm kinda unlucky on deaths in barrows :) got tons of bloods and chaos and barely deaths

1500+ total 89 cmb; 1600+ total and under 93 cmb.

02/04/07 reached all skills 60+ under lvl 90 cmb.

07/19/07 reached all skills 70+ at lvl 93 cmb.

Prayer is good for herbs

I have been doing barrows for a long time. I prefer using slayer dart. ancients just leaves that slight chance of dying. I may change my mind once I try my new method of doing barrows.

I make all my costs back in prayer pots really quick usually. So I dont mind buying them. Check my post in the rate this section, though I stopped posting pics cause people called them fake and only cared about my kill count.

I have been doing barrows for a long time. I prefer using slayer dart. ancients just leaves that slight chance of dying. I may change my mind once I try my new method of doing barrows.

I make all my costs back in prayer pots really quick usually. So I dont mind buying them. Check my post in the rate this section, though I stopped posting pics cause people called them fake and only cared about my kill count.

Slayer dart is the safe and better way to make money.....

I have been doing barrows since day 2.. I made enough money from these poor 6 brothers, now I go there for fun Mage XP and to run into old friends.

I tend to do everything for quick XP and hate wasting time buy PPots or Weeds, which buying deaths is very easy.

About dying.... I guess you always have that chance... but that's the fun part for me.. Just keep your cool and it's not that easy to die..

Someone asked me what the rare drop rate is... Well my luck is far better then others so I wouldnt go off mine.. The longest streak without a drop is 31. I have got 4 rare items in 7 chests. 2 in 1..

Kill count.. I am supersticious.. I always get 20+, but most friends get 10-14 and do pretty good. Others go for 6 and just speed through 14-20 trips for a rare... I like the runes to help keep me occupied.

anyways.... Good luck all and Add me if you see me at barrows... I return all items if you die... Karma is a good thing you know

Woot go slayer dart!

Heres a little story of my barrow experiences :o

Ok, it was awile since i went to barrows. I was 40+ trips dry. Yet the temptation of barrows armor lured me back to those 5 mounds. So i did my first trip, nothing. Then my second, Veracs Brass!. I go to world 2 and sell it, being very happy. I then go back to barrows, knowing my luck coulden't possibly be so good to get another one soon. My first run, Karils X-Bow! I was shocked to see a duplicate bow in my inventory as I always use that trusty mechanism to kill Ahrim. At this time I am quite happy, I go for another run, the last one for the night. I open the chest, tele to lumby, look at my inven. DHAROKS HELM....... Yes, thats right, 3 items in a row. I log into world 2, sell the stuff, and buy several well needed items :)

So today, after school, i go back to barrows. First 2 runs nothing, as expected. I go for another 2 runs, getting mere coins on the first. Then the second, i open the chest, tele to lumby. This time I check out my weight, noticing it increasing by 2kg. I think hmm thats just boltracks. I check out my inven, Ahrims Hood! :). And now I am very happy, as I have a full set of ahrims, 2m extra cash, a new obby shield, and karils top and bottom :D

Ummm... interesting results...

I'll post my results for using slayer darts

Trips 24

Minds +567 x 20 = +11,340

Deaths -45 x 350 = -15,750

Bloods +544 x 600 = +326,400

Chaos +2784 x 120 = +334,080

Racks +478 x 150 = +71,700

Pray Pots -2 * 7000 = -14,000

Sharks -142 * 1100 = -156,200

Loot: Guthan's Spear, Guthan's Platebody, Verac's skirt, Verac's fullhelm, Torag's platelegs

Kill count between 25-35, using pray pots only when karil is in tunnel...

Value without Loot : +557,570 not including coins.

I'm not going to count loot because I was EXTREMELY lucky on them, so the value of the loot won't be a good statistic.

And I was using Leesters tips to do it without pray pots, using about 8 sharks a trip, give or take a few.

I tried using anceints and I jsut found it wasted too much money. Magic dart is just cheaper and you can make money off the bloods instead of using them. From your data, you made money of Slayer Dart even if you recieved no items, which is good. Nice track of runs, adds confirmation to people who were unsure

• 2 months later...

I have also done Both of them and find that I like ancients better. When doing salyer dart I averages 69 deaths used. When I do ancients I average 100 deaths. Not 30 deaths is 9k, about the cost of a p pot. And because I use NO doses with ancients and 2 with slayer dart, I prefer ancients. I almost always get my runes back, and use a water staff. Also, i have gotten about 5k bloods from barrows, more then enough to pay back for anything. I like ancients better because I use less food, it's like a game instead of sitting there praying and I made 7m yesterday with it. If you count the loot, you'll make a profit no matter what.

I'll stick with Slayer Dart simply because I have terrible luck so even if i don't get items I make more profit each trip than ancients where I lose money + I don't use prayer pots using my house.

Birdd-1.png

[spoiler=Levels]Birdd.png

I agree that POH's is great addition to Barrows, but now instead of noting 100 PPots and sharks, I just bring max limit of them in INV and tele to house with tablet.

Prayer up

Bank (noting sharks and buyin at shop to avoid ghasts)

Depending on the mode lately is what I use.. If I am in the "fishing' mood I go with dart... No brainer and just cruise along..

If I am in gaming mode.. it's all about Magiks... I use Staff for auto cast.. forearms and wrists get tweaked after 3 hours of clickin.. specially after long day of typin at work..

gla

now try and do normal magic and do like fire blasts. I'd like to see statistics like that, plus it would be useful for santanzas guide
If someone else wants to and reply I would be happy to add..

Again I use Ancients about 80% of the time. Only use Slayer dart when I need to recoup some chaos's.

I'd add it into guide if you did :lol: Then i will add an approximate per trip it would cost.

Signature3.gif

With so many trees in the city you could see the spring coming each day until a night of warm wind would bring it suddenly in one morning. Sometimes the heavy cold rains would beat it back so that it would seem that it would never come and that you were losing a season out of your life. But you knew that there would always be the spring as you knew the river would flow again after it was frozen. When the cold rains kept on and killed the spring, it was as though a young person had died for no reason. In those days though the spring always came finally but it was frightening that it had nearly failed.

If you don't care about the xp but you care about the cost, you should use fire/earth bolt with family crest chaos gaunts. (Earth is prefered because is cuts down on airs)

Nice experiment, even though I can't use either magic dart or ancients :oops: ....

mssigqc5.jpgI do English to Japanese and Japanese to English translation for free! Just keep it under 5 sentences, and PM me to use my fluency in Japanese to your advantage!

i'm not sure i read it right, but... you included loot, such as bolts and runes, in your profit. that screws everything up, as those are random. you only need to measure two things:

profit lost from using runes

time

profit gained from loot, such as runes and bolts, are inconsistent and do not prove anything about the style used. the only thing the two different styles differ in is the runes used (thus profit lost) and the time it takes to finish a run. the only data you should show are either negative or measured in minutes/seconds

edit: exp gained is also possible