A Comprehensive Guide for Melee Training (P2P)

gonpost

Contents

1. Introduction and Training Method Explanation

2. Monster Locations Map (and directions)

3. The Monsters and the Experience per Hour

4. A word on slayer

5. Exp/hour Summary

6. Training Strength - Which Weapon Should I Use?!

1. Introduction and Training Method Explanation

Hello! This is my guide to training your melee combat at various locations. The main purpose of this is to compare the most popular monsters and training areas, namely by how much experience each place will give in one hour. There are a few things to consider when looking at my numbers. First, IÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢m 118 combat, and my stats are as follows.

startingstatsne5.png

Obviously, if you are a lower combat level, you will receive less experience per hour than me. However, the proportions should stay the same. For instance, if monster A gives 50k exp/hour and monster B gives 40k exp an hour to me, then monster A may give you 40k exp/hour and monster B may give you 32k exp/hour. The point is that you will still get MORE exp with monster A than with monster B.

While doing this, I used super attack potions while training on every monster. I drank another dose when my attack level went back to its base level. For instance, I drank a sip to get to 117/98 attack, and then once my attack went down to 98/98 again, I drank another sip. Therefore I drank about 3.25 sips every hour. Keep in mind that you will get less exp per hour without super attack pots, but I think that everyone can afford to spend 2k per hour on a potion to train significantly better and faster. That is the reason why I decided to use them while doing this study.

I used an abyssal whip on flick (accurate) the entire time for each one of these tasks, unless I was using guthans to heal.

Also, I used very good gear while training. Granted, not everyone will have this gear, and so not everyone can train as well as I can. However, I recommend that you at least get yourself a rune defender, full guthans, bones to peaches, and an obby shield. Other gear such as the warrior ring, fury amulet, etc are nice to have but they are not necessary.

Lastly, my choice of armor for each monster was different depending on the monster. I used what I thought would make the most sense when fighting each monster. You may opt to use slightly different set-ups for different monsters, but I tried to use the best gear for the situation.

2. Monster Locations Map (and directions)

Here is a map of the locations of all the monsters that I did my study on. This could be handy if you want to know exactly where a monster is that I'm talking about. :)

***Click on the map to get an enlarged version. If I put it full size here, it would just be huge...so click on it.***

runescapemapai2.th.png

Thanks to tip.it for the map. I would have done my own...but that would have taken ages. I'm sure you guys understand.

3. The Monsters and the Experience per Hour

Without further ado, the numbers!

Dagganoths

(The gear that I used will always be the first picture)

geardagganothsar7.png

start exp: 11,883,212

start time: 6:26

end exp: 11,947,472

end time: 7:26

Exp per hour: 64,260

Notes: Very low defense, tons of them. Obviously a cannon is amazing here if you want to supplement yourself with some ranged experience. They drop high level herb seeds fairly often, so the loot here actually isnÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t too bad. They also drop a few lower level fish on the occasion. This place can become somewhat crowded at peak hours.

Greater Demons

geargreatersco7.png

start exp: 11,957,104

start time: 10:02

end exp: 12,011,450

end time: 11:02

Exp per hour: 54,346

Notes: I trained on the greater demons in Brimhaven dungeon. The dogs are aggressive for the first 10 minutes, so I didnÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t record experience until they stopped attacking me. Once they stop, however, the greater demons are pretty fun to kill. The loot isnÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t great, but you do get 100ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s of fires and a rune large helmet on the occasion.

Black Demons

gearblackdemonsqs8.png

start exp: 12,011,450

start time: 11:13

end exp: 12,064,134

end time: 12:13

Exp per hour: 52,684

Notes: I fought the black demons in the Taverly dungeon. I used prayer at the black demons. If you donÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t use prayer, however, theyÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢re too dangerous and too slow to train on. You do break even if you use prayer pots (the loot will cover the price of them if you are around my combat level...lower leveled players may not break even). Also, if you have zamorak brews, this would be a good place to use them (although I still only used super attack pots).

Fire Giants

(gearfiregiantsdy2.png

used a regular str potion that was dropped

start exp: 12,072,146

start time: 12:34

end exp: 12,133,082

end time: 1:34

Exp per hour: 60,936

Notes: I fought the giants inside of the baxtorian waterfall, the center room. I used one regular strength potion that was dropped, but I would expect anyone to do the same if training here. These guys give great loot, have very low defense, and there are lots of them to kill. Crowded at peak hours.

Bloodvelds

gearbloodveldsby1.png

start exp: 12,133,082

start time: 1:50

end exp: 12,198,546

end time: 2:50

Exp per hour: 65,464

Notes: I fought the bloodvelds inside of the slayer tower. I averaged about 2 blood runes for every bloodveld killed. Bones to peaches was the way that I got my food, and it worked well since you canÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t use guthans here because of their attack style (melee attack, but how hard it hits is based on magic). Also, these drop black boots and rune med helmets. The only bad thing here is that they arenÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t aggressive, although they are very good experience. Somewhat crowded at peak hours.

Trolls

geartrollsrh4.png

start exp: 12,198,546

start time: 3:14

end exp: 12,260,370

end time: 4:14

Exp per hour: 61,824

Notes: I fought the trolls at the death plateau. They werenÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t too bad. Make sure to not go near the rangers, otherwise you will be killed very quickly. They dropped a few good seedsÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâædecent loot.

Ankous

gearankouswv2.png

start exp: 12,260,622

start time: 4:45

end exp: 12,318,678

end time: 5:45

Exp per hour: 58,056

Notes: Believe it or not, I had never been to the security stronghold before this. I was very surprised by the good loot that they dropped. I got 170k worth of loot in a mere hour, and the experience was great too! The only downfall is that you have to pay full attention in order to get the benefit because they donÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢tÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢ have too much hp, and you must click on a new one very often. This can be a very crowded place a peak hours, and even somewhat crowded at other times of the day.

Giant Skeletons

geargiantskeletonswk0.png

start exp: 12,318,898

start time: 6:28

end exp: 12,375,511

end time: 7:28

Exp per hour: 56,613

Notes: I found these in DamisÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢ lair, which is north of Ardougne, and you need a ring of visibility from the desert treasure quest to get in. There is a little area with two spawns in the southern portion of the dungeon. Go there, and they respawn so fast that you will always be fighting a skeleton even though there are only two spawns. Just make sure you have a world with 1,500+ people on it for them to spawn quickly enough. The loot was mainly gems and a few chaos runes, the rest wasnÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t worth much.

Bandits

gearbanditsro6.png

start exp: 12,377,012

start time: 7:46

end exp: 12,433,659

end time: 8:46

Exp per hour: 56,647

Notes: Train on these in the bandit camp in the desert south of al-kharid. These are an afker's dream come true. I wore a zamorak cape to make them keep attacking me forever. They are infinitely aggressive, they hardly hit, and you can literally stay in the same spot for the entire hour. The loot is almost non-existent, but if you want to be able to multi-task, these are good for that. Crowded during peak hours.

Monkey Guards

gearmonkeysfd1.png

start exp: 12,433,659

start time: 8:59

end exp: 12,487,786

end time: 9:59

Exp per hour: 54,127

Notes: These are located on Ape atoll, in the temple. I used prayer because thereÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s an altar right inside the place. I also used the +15% attack prayer along with the super attack potion since I have unlimited prayer. The experience actually wasnÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t too bad, despite their high defense. Obviously there is no loot here except for the occasional monkey bone.

Pest Control

gearpestcontrolyl3.png

start exp: 12,487,914

start time: 10:12

end exp: 12,518,200

end time: 11:12

PLUS 43 POINTS at 1,600 exp per... (68,800 exp)

Exp per hour: 99,086

Notes: Pest control is an interesting thingÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâæ I did pest control while going along with a 100+ pest control clan, and I only attacked the portals or spinners if they came. I used dragon dagger specials before switching to the whip. Now, obviously this was the best experience out of anything. The only catch was that I got very little hitpoints experience at all. If you do a little math, however, you can figure out that if you were to give yourself enough exp so that it was equal to getting 60k attack exp an hour, then you could still get about 87,000 attack experience an hour while getting the normal amount of hp experience. As much as it pains me to say this, pest control is the best experience out of everything, hands down. I also received just over 50k gp in the hour I spent doing this. Again, however, I stress that you need a good pest control clan for this to be good (get on a pest control channel in a runescape server in IRC, for instance).

Shadow Warriors

gearshadowwarriorszh6.png

start exp: 12,588,612

start time: 10:31

end exp: 12,649,364

end time: 11:31

Exp per hour: 60,752

Notes: These are found in the legendÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s guild basement. The experience was nice, and so was the loot. I got 13 gems in the time I spent here, along with several runes. You have to pay attention all the time due to their low hp, but this wasnÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t too bad of a place to train overall. Also, I almost never had to use any food because their attack is so low. If I had brought a shield and guthanÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s helm, I probably wouldnÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t have needed any food at all. This place isn't crowded at all anymore.

Moss Giants

gearmossgiantsbs6.png

start exp: 12,649,364

start time: 12:07

end exp: 12,716,228

end time: 1:07

Exp per hour: 66,864

Notes: These were MUCH better than I had expected. I trained on the moss giants in the pirateÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s cove. You have to have done part of lunar diplomacy in order to get here, and you need your seal of passage as well (just switch for a glory/fury once you're on the island). This island has about 10-15 moss giant spawns, and it is multi combat. These were the best experience out of anything besides pest control. Also, the loot was rather good, as I amassed more than 65k in loot. If you have a cannon, you could get some serious experience here. Also, you never have to worry about someone coming and ruining your spot since so very few people know that this place even exists. Never crowded.

Magic Axes

gearmagicaxesww4.png

start exp: 12,716,228

start time: 1:29

end exp: 12,773,236

end time: 2:29

Exp per hour: 57,008

Notes: These are located in the central, high level wilderness. They werenÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t too bad, but my gear was limited because I didnÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t want to get pked with 12mil worth of stuff on me. The other downfall of this place is that they donÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t drop any loot worth keeping at all. However, they didnÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t hit much, so one load of food could have lasted me hours.

Abyssal Demons

gearabyssalsws9.png

start exp: 12,773,640

start time: 3:32

end exp: 12,820,337

end time: 4:32

Exp per hour: 46,697

Notes: Ah, the monster that everyone wants to kill. The experience, as you can see, is the lowest out of all the monsters that I tested. To be honest, they are rather over rated, and the amount of exp/hour that I recorded here is above what almost anyone else can get. The only reason that people train here is to get a whip about every five hours. If you donÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t include the whips, the loot is good, but it is by no means amazing. Akous would be better. However, as long as whip prices stay high enough, people will train here in hopes of getting one. They are sort of a trade-off between experience and loot, so that IF you get a whip every 5 hours, then you could average 46,697 experience AND about 380k an hour (at 1.9 mil per whip) plus the other loot that you get. ItÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s your decision.

Dust Devils

geardustdevilsjn5.png

start exp: 12,850,604

start time: 8:58

end exp: 12,912,520

end time: 9:58

Exp per hour: 61,916

Notes: Located in the dungeon just west of Pollnivneach in the Kharidian desert, these monsters are popular for their dragon chain drops. However, I do not recommend that you spend time here because you want one. The odds are that you will never get a dragon chain here (although you may). You should spend time here because you want good experience and some pretty good loot (the loot is comparable to fire giants). Anyway, bones to peaches is the best way to get your food here, seeing as you can't use guthans without taking off the mask (very risky, I don't advise it).

4. A word on slayer

Of course, several of these monsters are slayer tasks. I did not do any of this whilst training slayer, so I did not use the black mask. If, however, you are training slayer, the benefits of the black mask are enormous. Some people would recommend that you never train combat unless it is while you are training slayer, and they have a valid point. If, however, you feel like training on some new monsters, or perhaps you donÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t feel like you need to get your slayer level up any higher, then my guide can be useful for determining what you would like to train on. Even if you are training slayer, you could make use of the notes that I provided after each monster. Also, realize that even if you use a black mask, the proportions of experience from each monster will still stay the same (ie you will still get more exp/hour at bloodvelds than you would at abyssal demons, even though you would get more exp/hour at either one if you use the black mask).

If you see any problems, or if you want me to clarify something, let me know! :D

5. Exp/hour Summary

Here's a summary of exp/hour, listed from most to least.

Pest Control - 99,086 (see note in pc section)

Moss Giants - 66,864

Bloodvelds - 65,464

Dagganoths - 64,260

Dust Devils - 61,916

Trolls - 61,824

Fire Giants - 60,936

Shadow Warriors - 60,752

Ankous - 58,056

Magic Axes - 57,008

Bandits - 56,647

Giant Skeletons - 56,613

Greater Demons - 54,346

Monkey Guards - 54,127

Black Demons - 52,684

Abyssal Demons - 46,697

6. Training Strength - Which Weapon Should I Use?!

This is a common question because there has always been debate...well, I took all the common weapons and put them here. We have the barrelchest anchor, dragon scimitar + rune defender, dragon long + rune defender, the dragon dagger + rune defender, and the Toktz-xil-ak (obsidian sword) + rune defender.

I decided to test this out on bloodvelds because of their low defense and very controllable training conditions. I used the following gear for all weapons except for the Toktz-xil-ak:

gearstudytwozt7.png

I used the following for the Toktz-xil-ak:

tzekwe7.png

I have nothing in the ring slot because I don't have a berserker ring (warrior ring would only help slash weapons, making the study unfair towards anchor and dagger). Also, I have nothing in the weapon slot shown...simply add into those slots the weapons that I used. Keep in mind that the barrelchest anchor is two handed!

I also did half-hour increments for each weapon. I checked along the way at 15 minutes and it came out to within 1k of the final exp every time, so I can say with certainty that the results would be extremely similar if I had tested each weapon for one hour straight.

The Numbers

Barrelchest Anchor

start exp: 5,609,003

end exp: 5,633,595

start time: 5:18

end time: 5:48

exp/hour: 49,184

Dragon Scimitar + Rune Defender

start exp: 5,633,595

end exp: 5,663,451

start time: 5:50

end time: 6:20

exp/hour: 59,712

Dragon Longsword + Rune Defender

start exp: 5,663,451

end exp: 5,690,811

start time: 6:22

end time: 6:52

exp/hour: 54,720

Dragon Dagger + Rune Defender

start exp: 5,690,811

end exp: 5,716,759

start time: 6:54

end time: 7:24

exp/hour: 51,896

Dragon Two Handed Sword

start exp: 5,724,955

end exp: 5,745,187

start time: 8:22

end time: 8:52

exp/hour: 40,464

Toktz-xil-ak + Rune Defender

start exp: 7,526,674

end exp: 7,558,678

start time: 6:48

end time: 7:18

exp/hour: 64,008

Summary of Weapons (exp/hour, greatest to least)

Toktz-xil-ak - 64,008

Dragon Scimitar - 59,712

Dragon Longsword - 54,720

Dragon Dagger - 51,896

Barrelchest Anchor - 49,184

Dragon 2h Sword - 40,464

The Toktz-xil-ak is the best, however, you MUST have the onyx necklace in order for it to be that good, otherwise it's not as powerful at all. Also, I didn't bother trying the other obsidian weapons because the Toktz-xil-ak is the best out of all of them. Also, the 2 or 3 strength levels that I have gained since I last did the other weapons are negligable...I redid the dragon schimitar and got 59,832 experience/hour, so it's all good.

Runescape Name: "unbug07"

sunsig6yg.png

Expand your mind.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent guide! As you can see from my sig, I will have to wait a few months before utilizing all of its aspects, but I hope that it gets put in the AOW just so I don't lose it! 9/10, because I was looking for another paragraph that had the exp from all the monsters together where I could compare it.

perfect grammar is one thing, typing like a drugged monkey and enjoying it is another

AMEN!

Excellent guide! As you can see from my sig, I will have to wait a few months before utilizing all of its aspects, but I hope that it gets put in the AOW just so I don't lose it! 9/10, because I was looking for another paragraph that had the exp from all the monsters together where I could compare it.

Good idea! I'll get on that. :)

Edit: Done.

sunsig6yg.png

Expand your mind.

Very nice guide, you went very in depth :)

I like training at abby demons personally because I'm poor and I like whips. Oo just got a d med lol :P

I'm also slightly surprised at the results of some, like moss giants.

I also use super attack pots, but I drink a dose every 12 minutes so I get faster experience even though you use more pots.

Very nice guide.

Could you add a section a dustdevils? I've heard they're ownage xp. And also, it'd be nice if you included how much food is needed/how often you need to use guthans/bones to peaches. Even if it's just high, medium, or low.

But overall, very useful guide. I should try bloodvelds sometime.

blurredsigla2.jpg

Lord_Gromit, you make a good point. Later today I'll do the dust devils and add them in here. They are, after all, a popular melee training place. :)

Some of you are saying that you are very surprised by the moss giants...well let me say, I was too! Read the notes that I have written under the moss giants. Also, the moss giants on the pirate's cove have 85 hp, which I *think* is more than normal? Well, either way, I could really tell that they were indeed very good experience, because I nearly always hit them when training on them. I'm just saying this to show you that I didn't mess up or anything. ;)

sunsig6yg.png

Expand your mind.

When you went to the mosses in Lunar Isle, were they close to each other? I'm talking ancients close.

Yes, they are extremely close together....that's why they're so good.

sunsig6yg.png

Expand your mind.

Per request, dust devils have been studied for one hour and added to the guide.

If you think of any other monsters that I forgot, please let me know. :)

sunsig6yg.png

Expand your mind.