Zaspiel's Mining, Smithing, and Crafting Guide

Kaphias

2/13/08 Kaphias edit: I have not updated this post since the original post date, so some information may be out of date. Zaspiel has kept a updated version on the RSOF, search for "Smithing Guide" to find it. I'll remove this message when I get this guide back up to date.

Ok, here we go. I saw this guide on the official forums, and thought that it was the best guide that I have ever read. I Pm'ed the author, and he gave me permission to post it, if I included his name.

Hi... here's my smithing guide. I've had requests to put this up again. I've streamlined the guide and removed information I thought was no longer necessary. There is a major revision to section 7 concerning golden bowls.

There are basically two types of smiths out there: smiths who mine their own ores and smiths who donÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t. This guide is geared to those who mine their own ore. As long as you mine your own ore, you never ever have to worry about what your mining level is. You never have to worry about getting to 85 mining. Just mine what you need to get your smithing level up from whatever it is at the moment. That is all that needs to be said about mining. Mining should no longer be an issue or concern for you. Keep in mind that this is a guide on how to get your smithing up. This is NOT a guide on how to make money. This guide will not make you rich, but you won't lose money either and it will keep you focused.

This guide is not for everyone. Very few players actually have the dedication to do their own mining... very few. If you don't like to mine, trust me, this guide is not for you. Out of 20 people that read this, only 1 or 2 will find it useful.

Table of Contents

1) What are the three basic steps to smithing?

2) What gives the best smithing experience?

3) Where is the best place to mine gold? (and movie showing the method)

4) Why is mining at Brimhaven better than mining in Arzinia?

5) Where is the best place to smelt your gold?

6) How do I acquire these Goldsmith Gauntlets?

7) What do I do with all these gold bars?

8) Save your gems.

9) Does this mean IÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢m basically gonna be mining gold until IÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢m 99 smithing?

10) How to stay motivated.

11) WhatÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s the best support skill for money.

12) The Blast Furnace - An alternative to gold.

13) How to break the monotomy of mining/smelting.

14) Mining duels.

15) How to mine rune ore.

16) Faster mining?

17) How long will all this take?

1) What are the three basic steps to smithing?

Everyone knows this, even newbs know it:

Mine

Smelt

Smith

The mining step takes the longest time out of all three steps. Smelting is next. And assuming that you always make platebodies, the actual smithing step takes the least amount of time.

2) What gives the best smithing exp?

Smelting gold ores with the Goldsmith Gauntlets is the way to go. You gain 56.2 smithing exp for every gold ore you smelt into a bar.

Here is the statistical argument for gold. LetÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s say that you are a level 85 smith and you want to get to level 86.

If you work iron, you will need to mine 9,046 iron ores and go thru all three steps; mine, smelt, and smith. In addition, you will need to acquire 65 rings of forging.

If you work steel you will need to mine 6,168 iron ores and 12,336 coal ores. That's a total of 18,504 ores! When you smelt, you can only get 9 bars per trip because your inventory has to be 9 iron ores and 18 coal ores. Lastly, let's not forget the smithing step. So far iron looks like the better deal right?

If you work mithril you will need to mine 4,240 mith ores and 16,960 coal ores. That's a total of 21,200 ores! Iron still looks like the better deal even when compared to mith!

If you work addy you will need to mine 3,392 addy ores and 20,352 coal ores. That's a total of 23,744 ores!

If you work rune you will need to mine 2,714 rune ores and 21,712 coal ores. That's a total of 24,426 ores!

Now letÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s look at gold. You only need to mine 6,058 ores and smelt them. ThatÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s it! You do not have to go thru the actual smithing step! YouÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢ve eliminated one of the three basic steps and still gained smithing exp! And the amount of gold you mine is SIGNIFICANTLY less than the amount of iron you would have to mine.

REMEMBER, you need to have the Goldsmith Gauntlets. If you donÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t, you only get 22.5 smithing exp per ore instead of 56.2.

In terms of work, effort, and materials GOLD is clearly the way to go!

The second best option is IRON with FORGING RINGS. If you are a low-level player, forging rings can be difficult to acquire.

The third best option is STEEL.

3) Where is the best place to mine gold?

Northwest of Brimhaven, and just southwest of the wooden outpost used to get to the realm of the Fisher King during the Holy Grail quest, there are 10 gold ore spawns in the shape of a letter ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâ¦Ã¢â¬ÅCÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬ÃâÃ

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

8,325th to 99 Firemaking 3/9/08 | 44,811th to 99 Cooking 7/16/08

4,968th to 99 Farming 10/9/09 | Runescaper August 2005-March 2010

Tip.it Mod Feb. 2008-Sep. 2008 | Tip.it Crew Sep. 2008-Nov. 2009

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now now, don't complain about there being no pictures. I read it on the official forums, as did loads of other people. I know there is not pictures, I will work on getting some.

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

Simply wow, I have read about 1.5/4th's of this guide and I must say I like it. When I start mining again (my first lvl 75+ stat and my fav stat) I will definatly follow this to get me some more smithing and crafting levels.

Great work and an incredible read if you stop complaining about how your eyes hurt and actually read there is some good stuff in here.

Man this must have taken you awhile to write, I also congratulate you on your patience.

=D> :thumbsup: =D> :thumbsup: =D> \'

Apparently, my signature was to big.

Simply wow, I have read about 1.5/4th's of this guide and I must say I like it. When I start mining again (my first lvl 75+ stat and my fav stat) I will definatly follow this to get me some more smithing and crafting levels.

Great work and an incredible read if you stop complaining about how your eyes hurt and actually read there is some good stuff in here.

Man this must have taken you awhile to write, I also congratulate you on your patience.

=D> :thumbsup: =D> :thumbsup: =D> \'

Obviously the 3/8 of it you have read wasn't the start where he very clearly stated he didn't write it.

And it was a very good guide. He must of being doing this for a very long time.

nice guide way too long (is it allowed to post the guide from someone els here anyway?)

runeminermb1.gif

^^ click my sig for my lesser ranging guide ^^

jwrm22: 4816th > 99 cooking 100% f2p !1172 total! + 140mil in items.

i dont play anymore... i think rs is ruined

Phew, am I the first who completely read it?:P I need something to do while training, eh?

It was a long read, but REALLY worth it.... Nice tactics, well described. Defenitely great! Nothing that's a letdown!

Zaspiel did a great job.

Interesting guide. I will try out your gold mining techniques. I've been on extended break from mining/smithing because I burned out hardcore on them. This sounds like it might be a good change of pace.

I enjoyed the guide. Yeah it was long but most of it was enlightening. I might cut out the part about secondary skills(like the rune crafting part) since that is sorta straying from your topic but other than that good stuff.

Ambassadar.png

Thanks everyone!

I'll make sure to tell Zaspiel of all the good comments.

I'm just gonna go through now and take out some unrelated parts, and maybe add some color. :)

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

It looks clearer now, and you've fixed the ®zinia thingey.

I noticed: replace Blue Gem with Sapphire, Green Gem with emerald, Red gem with ruby and white gem with diamond.

Also, don't type in caps, use

Sapphire - Make necklaces if you have 22 crafting and enchant if you have 7 magic.

[b]Sapphire[/b] - Make necklaces if you have 22 crafting and enchant if you have 7 magic.

or

Sapphire - Make necklaces if you have 22 crafting and enchant if you have 7 magic.

[i]Sapphire[/i] - Make necklaces if you have 22 crafting and enchant if you have 7 magic.

or

[u]Sapphire[/u] - Make necklaces if you have 22 crafting and enchant if you have 7 magic.

Hope I helped :)

Thanks for that, added.

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

=D> Very nice! I've read it while mining for 85... Anyway, it's excellent, especially the part about getting the gold ore (which was pretty much the only thing I didn't know). Also the tips about keeping your sanity are helpful, and true for all types of training, not just smithing.

I'd call this a "roleplaying" guide, as it teaches how to gain by yourself what you want, but obviously training the 3 skills separately goes much, much quicker. One very dedicated player could get 99 mining in 1 month and a half, and as you said it's the longest part. When you have a lot of money smithing and crafting go much quicker, but it's true that it ruins the spirit of those skills.

EDIT: it's Port Phasmatys not Phantasmys btw

Oh, and you can use Sizes for the titles, like:

Zaspiel's Mining Guide

[size=18]Zaspiel's Mining Guide[/size]

color

[color=red]color[/color]

the color thing can be done with any color, you can make spoilers using white.

Oh, and you can use Sizes for the titles, like:

Zaspiel's Mining Guide

[size=18]Zaspiel's Mining Guide[/size]

color

[color=red]color[/color]

the color thing can be done with any color, you can make spoilers using white.

I know, I just like to keep it plain.

I know how to do things around here. :wink:

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

Ok I almost read everything. you were totally right in most of the points.

BUT!

Then you came to the mining dueling point, one of the first sentences in that was: "You don't have to nice all the time".

This is deffenitly what we need, there aren't enough arrogant, rude and immature players yet. I mean I always see TIF as some kind of the "elite" of the rs players. Most people here are nice, mature acting, not 133t-5p34k1ng people. Please don't go encourage them to become totally immature. You won't help anything with that!

Another point, I checked you're mining and smithing stats. 70 mining 66 smithing, I can really imagezine (sp?) the gold mining works at you're lvls. But after a certain point this is just a waste of time. I mean, making iron knifes (by buying iron ore and rings or iron bars) is faster xp and you can even make a little money with that! So you can get you're mining xp by just mining granite.

So it's faster and you earn some money.

Besides that, you're actually lieing in you're guide. Yep, that's right I say you're lieing. How? By saying you're mining level, I can't remember all of them (and it's too long to look it all up again lol), but at least at the end you're saying you're lvl 97 mining, but the highscore and you're blog says you're lvl 70. So this makes all you're strong stories about the mining duels and almost everything about youre rs self not very relieable.

You could also make it so much shorter on some points. I'll give one example, I don't want to rewrite you're whole guide.

"Every few levels (on higher level every one level or even every half level) go do something you like. Like playing a little cw, trouble brewing, quests, w/e you like".

Also the farming things is pathetic, just plant sweetcorn with super compost. It takes so incredible less time, that will make up all the times you patches MAY die.

When everything's been said and done, more has been said than done.

All skills 80+

angel2w.gif

I see that the part that you didn't read was the beginning. :roll:

This is NOT my guide.

Look up the author (Zaspiel) in the highscores.

And, I have no plans to change the guide, except for spelling, grammar, and pictures.

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

I see that the part that you didn't read was the beginning. :roll:

This is NOT my guide.

Look up the author (Zaspiel) in the highscores.

And, I have no plans to change the guide, except for spelling, grammar, and pictures.

:lol: , That's right, I started at the table of contents, like i usually do =P.

What was written in that introduction also immedialty blew away my "make knifes" argument.

It also just explains why there are no pics.

But I still don't like the not-being-nice part. This being on the official forums makes it even worse. I bet a lot of people think: "See, this uber high miner also thinks it's not bad to be a totall ***hole, so I can be one too". =@

When everything's been said and done, more has been said than done.

All skills 80+

angel2w.gif

Man, Grrrrrrreat! guide read whole thing =D> =D> =D> by far best guide i have ever read! i have always loved mining and smithing and this guide will really helped bookmarked!

Could use a sig or avatar, PM me if intersted in making one.

I loved the guide as much as everyone here did. :D

Thats why I posted it here, to get this method out there.

By the way, Zaspiel is closing in on 99 Mining!

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

Good guide.

I can totally agree in the part where he is suprised that most high lvl people can't even make full mith.

My goal also is rune smithing. Most of the time I mine my ores myself but sometimes I do buy them but only with the money I make from other skills or for example selling some steel bars (overpriced in my opinion!).

It's important to say that I'm f2p and can't make use of gauntlets so I most of the time smith mith.

A good way for f2p players to relax from mining and smithing is: woodcutting (and even firemaking!).

It's a really easy skill and you can easily browse forums like I'm doing now :)

I'm 77 smithing and 84 mining btw.

Th3_C4bb4g3.png

Th3_C4bb4g3.png

Th3_C4bb4g3.png

- Back to casual f2p scaping due to limited time (university and girlfriend <3:) -

Good guide.

I can totally agree in the part where he is suprised that most high lvl people can't even make full mith.

My goal also is rune smithing. Most of the time I mine my ores myself but sometimes I do buy them but only with the money I make from other skills or for example selling some steel bars (overpriced in my opinion!).

It's important to say that I'm f2p and can't make use of gauntlets so I most of the time smith mith.

A good way for f2p players to relax from mining and smithing is: woodcutting (and even firemaking!).

It's a really easy skill and you can easily browse forums like I'm doing now :)

I'm 77 smithing and 84 mining btw.

Nice Mining and Smithing. Whats your combat level?

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png