Ban "+1"

Sorry guys but not going to happen. Instant bans aren't something to thrown about for something like that. Just report them as you would any other spammy post and go about your business. I agree it makes for a pointless post but it's not enough to merit an instant banning unless it's an insane amount of spam by one person.

tallest.jpeg

571st to 99 Fm Nov. 4 '06 - 315th to 99 Crafting Mar. 3 '07 - 3410th to 99 Fishing Sept. 18 '07

26378th to 99 Cooking Oct. 16 '07 -.- 99 Thieving Dec. 29 '07 - 1343rd to 99 Farming June 5 '08

1807th to 99 Agility Nov. 8 '08 - 3094th to 99 Smithing Feb. 14 '09

2012 total - 91 combat

I think what Parabola is saying, tallest, is that "+1" posts should be banned - not the user. Meaning it should be against the rules to just say, "+1." And I agree. Usually, the whole point of making a thread is to encourage and engage in a discussion. In most cases where "+1" comes up, people want to see other arguments, evidence and facts backing up their personal opinions. Not: "Yeah.. What they said." The way I see it, if you don't have anything new or at least slightly different to contribute to the discussion, there really isn't any need to post at all. People will be left thinking that you just want to raise you post count :-w

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

I think what Parabola is saying, tallest, is that "+1" posts should be banned - not the user. Meaning it should be against the rules to just say, "+1." And I agree. Usually, the whole point of making a thread is to encourage and engage in a discussion. In most cases where "+1" comes up, people want to see other arguments, evidence and facts backing up their personal opinions. Not: "Yeah.. What they said." The way I see it, if you don't have anything new or at least slightly different to contribute to the discussion, there really isn't any need to post at all. People will be left thinking that you just want to raise you post count :-w

Indeed - I've always disliked the "+1's" since I just see it as spam.

cescsig.jpg

Anytime I see a +1 or even just "first post", I'll split the reply off and send a warning.

That's what I'd like to see, just added to policy so it is official that they're not allowed.

fractalsignature2lq4.jpg

That's what I'd like to see, just added to policy so it is official that they're not allowed.

+1

I hope the moderators understand that my reply is a joke? I am totally for the idea that Parabola has put forward.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Now Now. Lets be considerate here. How will Rushrock and Nick 6464 feel if you block the "+1". They'll have to do the hard task of contributing to a thread now, instead of their beloved "+1's". :P

Note the Sarcasm.

Yes block it. I say use some editing thing you do with the word blocker and thing and change the "+1" to something even more ridiculous just to embarrass the unsuspecting user who uses it in future. :wink:

I say use some editing thing you do with the word blocker and thing and change the "+1" to something even more ridiculous just to embarrass the unsuspecting user who uses it in future. :wink:

Replace "+1" posts with [i'm too lazy to spend 30 seconds typing a real reply...]. That should get the point across eventually. :lol:

I say use some editing thing you do with the word blocker and thing and change the "+1" to something even more ridiculous just to embarrass the unsuspecting user who uses it in future. :wink:

Replace "+1" posts with [i'm too lazy and don't have the intelligence to spend 30 seconds typing a real reply...]. That should get the point across eventually. :lol:

Fixed. That's what I was looking for! :D Please do that Albosky. :wink:

Yes block it.

Then why not block the word 'ditto' too? They mean almost the same thing.

Having a separate rule just for "+1" is ludicrous. It is spam and should be treated as such therefore only persistent or irritating usage of it should be zap-worthy.

Offline and unavailable.

no, i find this a little rediculous...all people are doing is agreeing with what someone said, they just don't feel like they could say the point any better and just simply put "+1" to agree in a very simple way. Would you also like to ban "i agree"? its 2 words, while +1 is a symbol and a numeral...if you have something against symbols and or/numerals, there's probably a organization you can talk to somehwere out there... :o

Yes block it.

Having a separate rule just for "+1" is ludicrous. It is spam and should be treated as such therefore only persistent or irritating usage of it should be zap-worthy.

Are you stupid? You took my first three words out of a whole paragraph and decided to quote me on that. READ what the rest of my paragraph; which included those three words and you'll get that I didn't just want it blocked because I know that blocking it won't solve the problem.

Though if you changed the "+1" to something like what Cruiser stated it would embarass the users who uses it and would do a better job than just blocking it.

Though in the end using the "report abuse" button would do the same trick. And a little embarrassment on top of that is always fun too. :wink:

edit:

if you have something against symbols and or/numerals, there's probably a organization you can talk to somehwere out there... :o

Aww you thought of that all by yourself... Pathetic.

no, i find this a little rediculous...all people are doing is agreeing with what someone said, they just don't feel like they could say the point any better and just simply put "+1" to agree in a very simple way. Would you also like to ban "i agree"? its 2 words, while +1 is a symbol and a numeral...if you have something against symbols and or/numerals, there's probably a organization you can talk to somehwere out there... :o

Well I think the main problem with it is that most of the time (when this occurs) people aren't making threads to take a poll of how many people agree/disagree. They're making threads to start a discussion, to see other points of view - facts, figures, etc. By someone saying "+1," they're not contributing anything. I doubt many people care that the particular person agrees, people will just skim right over that post. Because like I said, people want to see why you agree or disagree - not just that you do or don't.

Obviously, this isn't true in all cases, just in most (I think :P).

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

Yes block it.

Are you stupid? You took my first three words out of a whole paragraph and decided to quote me on that. READ what the rest of my paragraph; which included those three words and you'll get that I didn't just want it blocked because I know that blocking it won't solve the problem.

If your words - 'Note the Sarcasm' - were meant to relate to your paragraph, then why did you divide them from it by the ellipsis?

Whether it's blocked with asterisks or your witty remark it won't work as you said yourself.

Offline and unavailable.

Yes block it.

If your words - 'Note the Sarcasm' - were meant to relate to your paragraph, then why did you divide them from it by the ellipsis?

Whether it's blocked with asterisks or your witty remark it won't work as you said yourself.

ARE YOU UNABLE TO READ PEOPLE'S POST(S) CLEARLY!?? There was nothing sarcastic about the words "Yes Block It." The point being is, I said that remark and then went on to explain what I meant by it in that paragraph. Though you CHOSE to choose only my first three words of the paragraph and not take into consideration the rest of my paragraph and then decided to nit-pick at it telling me I was wrong, when you hadn't even taken into consideration what I said after it.

Can you please do me a favor and not only read but TAKE INTO CONSIDERATION what I have written throughout my post(s). :roll: :roll:

^^ You deserve two "rolling eyes" for complete stupidity.

The point being is, I said that remark and then went on to explain what I meant by it in that paragraph...

I took your three words as a whole for your paragraph as I didn't want to dissect a joke.

But since you're taking it seriously, the deconstruction at your request:

I say use some editing thing you do with the word blocker and thing

I think 'censor' is the word you're looking for. (Nit-picking, huh?)

...and change the "+1" to something even more ridiculous

As I said previously, if you're going to censor* "+1" (so that it appears as something offensive) then why not censor the word "ditto"? That argument will be used if this happens.

Furthermore, using an offensive phrase will only serve to unsettle the politically-correct Staff.

I'll return now to the post to make sure I haven't missed anything, because I hate to be called stoopid over da internets.

Yes block it. I say use some editing thing you do with the word blocker and thing and change the "+1" to something even more ridiculous just to embarrass the unsuspecting user who uses it in future.

Unsuspecting user? [garden tool]-[garden tool]! Humiliating a forum user. What fun!

*Censor, filter, 'editing thing' and 'word blocker and thing' all mean the same thing.

Offline and unavailable.

Thanks Loge. :wink:

I'm still for my suggestion despite Loge's attempts to "nit-pick" at it and try to, though unsuccessfully, humiliate my idea. :wink:

edit:

if you have something against symbols and or/numerals, there's probably a organization you can talk to somehwere out there... :o

Aww you thought of that all by yourself... Pathetic.

um ok...well, that had nothing to do with the topic at hand, and was a joke...if you're commenting on my jokes, and not what i had to really say about the topic at hand..well :? . To tripsis: i can see where you are coming from, but as you noted, its most cases, not all...its just a sense of agreement, backing up. If someone's checking if something's right, then that "+1" is just a backup...i don't think its cluttering and destroying the forum that much to have a censor on it

It would be kind of hard to attempt to ban the word itself. There are many ways to get around it and it's not something that has any inherently bad connotations, it's just annoyingly used. The spam rule is broad enough that we don't need to include every possible annoying posting style and can let the users report truly spammy posts for what they are. I used to try to add comments to +1 posts to curtail it but it's almost impossible to stop them.

Personally I just skip over these filler posts when reading. If the person can't be bothered to take 1 minute to draft up a reply that has something useful to say or ask then I won't waste 5 seconds of my life giving it second thought. I just make a mental note of who these pointless posters are and generally ignore their posts when possible. It makes my forum reading more enjoyable and doesn't give them the attention that seems to be wanted by posted utter spam just to have it there.

tallest.jpeg

571st to 99 Fm Nov. 4 '06 - 315th to 99 Crafting Mar. 3 '07 - 3410th to 99 Fishing Sept. 18 '07

26378th to 99 Cooking Oct. 16 '07 -.- 99 Thieving Dec. 29 '07 - 1343rd to 99 Farming June 5 '08

1807th to 99 Agility Nov. 8 '08 - 3094th to 99 Smithing Feb. 14 '09

2012 total - 91 combat

• 1 month later...

I agree to a point... If someone saw an argument and agreed with the original poster, they might say: "+1 because... "

Then that would be the only exeption, but in general, I have to agree that it is annoying and should be discouraged at least.

+1

Haha just kidding, anyway this annoys me a bunch. Looking down a page of reply's of +1,+1 ect....

I think if you do it they should censor numbers you type for 1 week, 2 weeks for second offense, 5 weeks 3rd, 10weeks 4th, permanent after that.

Sig