Monday Poll: Why do you use other fan site Quest guides?

MPM

Hey! The poll has been up, and we're wanting to know exactly what it is that makes you use another site's quest guides. Go to the main page, and cast your vote. Then, come back and explain your answer.

~M

I usually have a Sal's Realm tab opened up because they have several pictures, make stupid, irrelevant, yet amusing jokes, and have a quest experience list.

I have spoken.

Barrows: 9~2 V Brass,V Flail,2 Dh Plate,V Helm,V Skirt,T Legs,Malevolent Shield DKing: 48~6 W Ring,13 A Ring,8 M Staff,9 S Ring,7 B Ring,3 Seercull
Dragon Drops: 500+~50+ Med,26 Axe,3 Chain,10+ Legs,10+ Spear,2 D2h,10+ L Half,49 Boots,2 DDs,10+ Lump,9 Claws,50+ Dagger,14 Visage,50+ Mace,4 Scimitar,7 Hasta,Baxe,50+ Long,30+ Royal,2 Kite,4 Ward,2 Plate,Staff,Hammer,Limbs, Mattock,Halberd
GWD: 156~4 S Staff,50+ Shard,9 B Tass,13 B Plate,5 B Boots,6 A Plate,11 S Sword,8 A Hilt,4 A Skirt,9 A Helm,S Hilt,3 B Hilt,B Glove,2 A Buckler,Z Ward,Z Garb,2 Z Boots,B Shield,B Helm

Corp: 3~Elysian,2 Sp Sh Nex: 6~Torva Legs,Cere,P cowl,Z bow,2 T boots + GWD2: 9~2 Glaive,Wand,2 Crest,Blade,2 Essence,Core Araxyte: 5~Web,3 Pheromone,Fang + Raids: 4~3 Codex,P Boots  + Trails: 2~Bob Shirt,Fortunate

Etc: 64~3 Sceptre,B Mask,16 Whip,2 Focus Sight,5 D Bow,7 SOL,Ragefire,2 Steadfast,Arma Staff,6 Rider Armor,5 Vine,2 Razorback,2 A Wand,Abby Orb,3 Blood Shard,6 Hydrix,Gland,Asc Xbow
[spoiler=Capes]Quest Cape Aquired 12-7-07 ~ Level 93 + + + Completionist Cape Aquired 5-22-15 ~ Level 138
Hitpoints Cape Aquired 9-21-09 ~ Level 131 + Magic Cape Aquired 9-24-09 Attack Cape Aquired 3-5-10 ~ Level 135 Summoning Cape Aquired 3-12-10

Strength Cape Aquired 6-1-11 ~ Level 137 Fire Cape Aquired 6-23-11 Defence Cape Aquired 7-5-11 + Ranged Cape Aquired 8-1-11 Kiln Cape Aquired 2-26-12 ~ Level 138
Dungeoneering Cape Aquired 4-22-12 + Slayer Cape Aquired 6-25-14 ~ Level 200 + Herblore Cape Acquired 12-9-14 ~ Level 138 Prayer Cape Acquired 12-20-14
Agility Cape Acquired 1-4-15 + Hunter Cape Acquired 1-30-15 Construction Cape Acquired 1-31-15 Crafting Cape Acquired 2-22-15 Thieving Cape Acquired 3-18-15
Runecrafting Cape Acquired 4-14-15 Mining Cape Acquired 4-19-15 Fishing Cape Acquired 4-25-15 Firemaking Cape Acquired 4-26-15 Woodcutting Cape Acquired 4-26-15
Cooking Cape Acquired 4-26-15Smithing Cape Acquired 4-28-15 Farming Cape Acquired 4-29-15 Divination Cape Acquired 5-3-15 Dungeoneering Mastery 5-4-15
Fletching Cape Acquired 5-4-15 Max Cape Acquired 5-4-15 + Invention Cape Acquired 11-9-16 Invention Mastery 5-16-19 + Archaeology Cape Acquired 10-30-20

I think I've done it once, when in Rum Deal I took apart the fishing contraption and couldn't figure out what to do. (Turns out I wasn't supposed to...go figure.)

Or did I ask someone here about it? I don't really remember. I like this site too much to wander elsewhere for quest help when I need it.

everfreefire.png

everfreefire.png

I usually have a Sal's Realm tab opened up because they have several pictures, make stupid, irrelevant, yet amusing jokes, and have a quest experience list.

I have spoken.

When I do quests I use that website as well, the pictures are really helpful as I find Tip.it's have mostly pure text which isn't too fun to scrawl through (unless they changed it).

Don't make them too professional :P Include pictures wherever possible showing specific details where many players fall short of when doing the quest. Go the extra mile <3: .

EDIT: Shouldn't we be able to choose more than 1 of the options on this? Or just the most important one for Tip.it to fix in our opinion?

gladz.png

Proud Retired Council of The Gladiatiorz

Click here for our website - 110+ F2P Combat Requirements

Pictures and step by step, although I voted pictures.

Tip.it's guides are seriously great for everything apart from quests in my opinion. I like pictures and step by step instructions, not a big huge clump of words.

Retired Tip.It Crew Mapper.

I only use tip.its quest guide. ::'

But now that I've completed all quests and complete new quests on the day they come out, I very rarely need quest guides anymore.

No longer playing Runescape, I caught the WoW bug.

Tip.it actually has probably the best set of quest guides...but it lacks several key features that would make overall navigation and use much better.

Zybez isn't nearly as specific or comprehensive in terms of content (I have to turn to tip guides 2-3 times per quest just because zybez guides often omit large, important parts for some reason, leaving me stuck), but its pictures and step by step organization make it worthwhile. Its "condensed" quest outline, usually on the side of its long quest outline is especially helpful if you're pressed for time or just aren't interested in the story elements; even though it often isn't accurate enough it's definitely a step in the right direction.

Zybez also has a superior search and quest organization system (its length and difficulty ratings are pretty accurate and intuitive), so that makes navigation a lot smoother.

In comparison tip guides have a lot better content but it basically looks like somebody just vomited a quest guide onto a page and that makes it extraordinarily hard to a) read and B) find a specific part of a quest. Great job on the content but the presentation format hasn't changed in like, 6 years.

All in all, you can't lose with tip guides, but a bit of work would make them the top guides on the net.

RSN: Manaleak

If I use other sites for quest quides, it's usually because of the step by step directions and the helpful pictures.

I find step by step directions easier to follow than the paragraphs that some of the tip.it guides have.

However, most of the time I do use tip.it quest guides ::'

K_G_Is_Me.png

I usually use Zybez because I love the pictures... and sometimes tip.it is lacking a step or 2.

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

My opinions and preferences:

I mostly use Tip.it and Salmoneus. Tip.it has better quality most of the time, but Salmoneus generally has more pictures, a more detailed description of the storyline (for quest guides), and a few dead useful sets of guides, such as the Area/City Guides and the Skill Help Guides.

And every once in a while, I visit RuneHQ, just because their Item Database has been around for the longest, and thus has those nobody-cares-about items that I need every once in a while, as well as the fact that they list what monsters drop certain items.

I would use Tip,it completely if they had these:

1. In the item database, links to the monsters that drop the item.

2. Guides about a specific area.

3. Guides on training a specific skill.

4. More pictures/storyline in the quest guides.

But it's great as it is. ::'

Proud member of the Tal Shiar Alliance

Flobberdude.png

Goals: Quest cape, skill range 10 or less, all stats above 60. (Although yes, I am aware that in order to do the first two, I have to do the third.)

----

I am sick and tired of people asking me to put stuff in my signature. If you agree with me, do NOT put this in your signature.

Whenever I start a quest I usually use tipit, sal's and runehq's guides and ever now and then zybez. First i read over them then i see if there is any differences. If one site has more information aand pictures than another I will use that guide unless i get stuck. I also use whichever site has a guide up first, usually tipit or runehq have first then sal's. Usually i use tipit for the forums and quest guides, runehq for item, monster, npc databases, calulaters , skill guides and area guides, sal's realm for skill guides, quest guides and city guides, zybez for prices, and rsDemon for equipment calc and anthing I can't find on any other sites. Wow I typed a lot. :-#

Edit: I also use Tipit for it's awesome fairy ring map :thumbsup:

Hameigh.png

What's lacking in tipit's guide is pictures. For example the legends quest. You're at the part where you have to make the bravery potion, but the ingredients won't mix. Maybe if you had a picture of where to go and how to mix it, it would be a much better guide. (I know many people got stuck on that, so I thought it would be a good example).

Also in the Underground Pass quest and a few others it's just blocks of text. I know different tipit members write differently, but in some quests there are numbered steps for the guide. You guys need to look at that style and duplicate it.

Overall the guides are nice, but they could be a little prettier.

PS: I don't use quest guides anymore so I wouldn't know if they're getting any better.

PPS: I agree with the person above me. Your fairy ring map is ftw.

I would put a cool link here but I don't know how.

I only have the last three elf quests, grim tales, and FT II to do once I get the herblore levels... and woodcutting I suppose. So if the tip.it guides are going to get updated...

DO IT NOW!

Barrows: 9~2 V Brass,V Flail,2 Dh Plate,V Helm,V Skirt,T Legs,Malevolent Shield DKing: 48~6 W Ring,13 A Ring,8 M Staff,9 S Ring,7 B Ring,3 Seercull
Dragon Drops: 500+~50+ Med,26 Axe,3 Chain,10+ Legs,10+ Spear,2 D2h,10+ L Half,49 Boots,2 DDs,10+ Lump,9 Claws,50+ Dagger,14 Visage,50+ Mace,4 Scimitar,7 Hasta,Baxe,50+ Long,30+ Royal,2 Kite,4 Ward,2 Plate,Staff,Hammer,Limbs, Mattock,Halberd
GWD: 156~4 S Staff,50+ Shard,9 B Tass,13 B Plate,5 B Boots,6 A Plate,11 S Sword,8 A Hilt,4 A Skirt,9 A Helm,S Hilt,3 B Hilt,B Glove,2 A Buckler,Z Ward,Z Garb,2 Z Boots,B Shield,B Helm

Corp: 3~Elysian,2 Sp Sh Nex: 6~Torva Legs,Cere,P cowl,Z bow,2 T boots + GWD2: 9~2 Glaive,Wand,2 Crest,Blade,2 Essence,Core Araxyte: 5~Web,3 Pheromone,Fang + Raids: 4~3 Codex,P Boots  + Trails: 2~Bob Shirt,Fortunate

Etc: 64~3 Sceptre,B Mask,16 Whip,2 Focus Sight,5 D Bow,7 SOL,Ragefire,2 Steadfast,Arma Staff,6 Rider Armor,5 Vine,2 Razorback,2 A Wand,Abby Orb,3 Blood Shard,6 Hydrix,Gland,Asc Xbow
[spoiler=Capes]Quest Cape Aquired 12-7-07 ~ Level 93 + + + Completionist Cape Aquired 5-22-15 ~ Level 138
Hitpoints Cape Aquired 9-21-09 ~ Level 131 + Magic Cape Aquired 9-24-09 Attack Cape Aquired 3-5-10 ~ Level 135 Summoning Cape Aquired 3-12-10

Strength Cape Aquired 6-1-11 ~ Level 137 Fire Cape Aquired 6-23-11 Defence Cape Aquired 7-5-11 + Ranged Cape Aquired 8-1-11 Kiln Cape Aquired 2-26-12 ~ Level 138
Dungeoneering Cape Aquired 4-22-12 + Slayer Cape Aquired 6-25-14 ~ Level 200 + Herblore Cape Acquired 12-9-14 ~ Level 138 Prayer Cape Acquired 12-20-14
Agility Cape Acquired 1-4-15 + Hunter Cape Acquired 1-30-15 Construction Cape Acquired 1-31-15 Crafting Cape Acquired 2-22-15 Thieving Cape Acquired 3-18-15
Runecrafting Cape Acquired 4-14-15 Mining Cape Acquired 4-19-15 Fishing Cape Acquired 4-25-15 Firemaking Cape Acquired 4-26-15 Woodcutting Cape Acquired 4-26-15
Cooking Cape Acquired 4-26-15Smithing Cape Acquired 4-28-15 Farming Cape Acquired 4-29-15 Divination Cape Acquired 5-3-15 Dungeoneering Mastery 5-4-15
Fletching Cape Acquired 5-4-15 Max Cape Acquired 5-4-15 + Invention Cape Acquired 11-9-16 Invention Mastery 5-16-19 + Archaeology Cape Acquired 10-30-20

I never use quest guides in the first place, however I find that sometimes tips quides are a little sparse with detail. So if I had to say anything, it would be that these perticular guides aren't very clear in some respects.

Artemis_42.png

"Those who know nothing, can understand nothing"

- Ansem, Kingdom Hearts

In the process of doing all the quests I had to visit other sites when I was either to dumb or to lazy to figure out something. I remember some problems during Mournings End part 2.

But now I do the quest before the guides are out, and I frankly find that to be more fun. There haven't been any really hard quests lately (thinking-wise), so I might have to consult a guide if a big and hard quest comes out. Possibly even non-tip.it guides (gulp!).

kill_o_troll.png

kill_o_troll.png

Usually I try not to use a guide. But if i get stuck, I'll use tip.it guides, and maybe sals realm, as I find those are set out in a simpler way to read. But generally, I find that tip.it are the clearest more accurate guides 8-)

Agreed with guy above me...Mourning's end P2, i used a guide, but now I do every quest as soon as it's released! Blood rune crafting's coming out soon? Mourning's end part 3??? :lol:

Ted661991.png

Ted661991.png

Regarding which Quest Guide (or for that matter, which guides at all), I usually check all of them out if I know it is going to be a harder guide. Sometimes one will have the answer I'm looking for while the others do not. Once, I was stuck on a quest (Edgar's Ruse, obtaining the goutweed), and couldn't get through - kept getting tossed out! I tried every tip given by most all fan sites and spent 3 hours trying! :wall: One fan site gave what seemed like a "stupid" strategy! ("Don't even try to figure out how to get to the safe spots - just make a run for it!" or something like that) - so, I figured, it, why not - so when I thought it was a good time, I just made a ran for the end - and got the goutweed. Sometimes "simpler" is better #-o One thing I like on some guides is if they have specific recommendations for pures or other specifics that I find helpful (sometimes 3 or 4 different ways of accomplishing the same thing - suggested inventories, routes, etc.). I find each of the fan sites have something different to contribute in their guides - whether quest or skill or whatever. I try to read as much of them as possible, so I can skill or complete tasks as easily as I can with as little loss as possible!

Tip It's guides are usually 1st rate. They give step by step instructions and split the quests into parts.

I used them for the vast majority of my questing, as has already been mentioned it is always nice to get 2 or 3 different wordings of a part you are stuck on. Also your maps are usually far superior, Fairy Ring on in particular.

Nowadays I do quests as they are released and do follow a guide. Usually a chap called Captain Drakes Ghost posts a guide on Gamefaqs within 2 hours of it being it released. However it is text only and often has parts missing or wrong. That said his guides have been a godsend.

Recently I have noticed the guides are on the forums first, so have been using them.

I also like the way the quests done can be hidden. Very very handy.

cat_sabbath.png

Trust the Gene Genie!