Pass blocking - Part 2 of Jagex's update for fools

blacksimon

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The update moaners strike again.

Oh noes they protected people from scams! They could have spent this time on another update that we would have moaned about just as much

Stop expecting Jagex to cater everything to you, and we already got a nice prayer destroying mace so I'm happy.

Why am I wasting time on this post, I'm going to mash some prayers at cwars.

Way to go on the intelligent, factual argument you've presented for discussion. Happily Jagex is currently busy tailoring their updates for players just like you.

Sorry,but Baron speaks the truth. On the Update thread, there's about 2-3 posts on the first page complaining about the "noob quest". (didn't go past page 1, once I start seeing those kinds of posts, usually turns me off of other peoples opinions about the update)

You know what the secret to pleasing everybody is? It's to not try to please everybody. Jagex does an update that is for some people this week, and next week an update that is for some others next week.

There hasn't been an update in the 2-ish years I've been playing that hasn't been complained about. I don't see how, anything else they could have been working on, would've been any better. Maybe it might have been something you wanted/used, but I'll guarantee that there would be some people to complain about it.

If Jagex ever made a perfect update, there would be players complaining about nothing to complain about.

[hide=My Stats]Jake_Corsair.png[/hide]

Jagex can stop complaining in a few ways.

1. Stop the behind the scenes every month, they only dissapoint us by getting our hopes up too high.

2. Less frequent but wider updates. (No update for 4 weeks, but we get bracelets, new ranger armor from lvl 30 to 80)

3. Stop the Behind the sc...nevermind

sigsn9.jpg

Am I the only one thinking that this will in fact increase the security risks :ohnoes: .

Now instead of using you login password on only the code within the login screen of the game they now have to either reference to the password or use the password when ever you press enter.

I mean look ({} show when the program needs to use the password) :

before, {log on}

now {log on} and {when you type anything and press enter} :uhh:

Ok, I understand when most people who play RuneScape talk about being hacked or hacking, they normally mean; A. they told someone, B. They when on a dodgy site and downloaded a key logger or C. Used it on a dodgy site.

Just my 2 Cents.

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Dragon Boots x4 - all less then 30 kc
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

Solo only - doesn't include barrows[/hide][hide=Stats]

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

And I love it :D

The fact is, for every update the moaners come out:

If its low levels, the high levels moan

If its high level, the low levels moan

If its medium level, well then everyone moans

If it involves a weapon pures can use, mains moan

if the pures cant use it, guess what, pures moan

If is doesn't involve cabbage the OoC will moan

I stand by my "not every update can be catered toward you" statement.

+1.

And as said before; "you can please everybody sometimes, you can please someone all the time, but you can't please everybody all the time".

Seriously; when I started I fell for this scam (but I was smart enough to put it in a sentence with a lot of other random words -my pass is/was a "random" word too- so I didn't get hacked). This is one of the most common scams for the starters. I think it's an amazing addition, way better then the ditch anyway.

When everything's been said and done, more has been said than done.

All skills 80+

angel2w.gif

I get all of your points when you say that yes it is fine to help out the new players. But we dont want them waisting time on stuff like this when they can be working on somthing that we have all been waiting for a long long time.

I guess we just have to grit out teeth for a while. No use complaining i don't think anything you do by complaining is going to change anything.

prospektssigza4.jpg

So what if they are trying to help out,more naive people?

The only people it will affect is:

1. The "foolish" who fall for these things

2. And the ones who use it against them.

That seems to be their theme this month. Less idiot proofing more braclets pl0x!

The self-proclaimed king of bronze.

I miss when the community wasn't filled with....people.

20% of the f2p players are macroers.

60% have no idea where they are

15% take adavantage of the 60%

and the remainer actually knows how to play.

------

Back when I was a f2per. People were smarter, there were VERY few scammers, and I never fell for the Jagex blocks your password trick. I ran into the rune ess mines (long before it was crawling with macroers) and said my pass.

Today you can stand in any free world in lumbridge and within 1 minute youll see people selling accounts, scamming, swearing...

Whats heppened :(

(for all those that want to comment on how im a low level, how could I have been around for so long, just slap yourself and save yourself the hassle)

sigsn9.jpg

So.

Hypothetical situation:

Player A uses his girlfriend's name as password.

Player A engages in a conversation with Player B (a friend).

Player A says: Gotta go, is at the door.

Player A sees the ******** come up.

Player B dies in a laughing fit.

Is my imagination running away with me or is this a distinct possibility?

Actually the whole sentence would be blocked, so Player B won't see anything but *'s

but what if it's two ppl that know eachother, and they know what they are talking about, and see a bunch of ***** come up? Wouldn't the one kid be able to guess what his password is??

No, they don't use stars to cover the sentence, the sentence just doesn't appear at all.

Good idea right there. It lets the person that ust accidentally typed their pw know they just about said it, without letting the world know.

And you should have a password more complex that something you casually say in sentances.

35b9enp.jpg

The interesting part about this update is - not that they block the passwords, which *could* be useful to prevent scams - but that the actual password database is obviously not encrypted...

Even though they clearly state it on the website that "You should not use the same password on every site...", it is kind of shocking to find out that a single hacker hitting the database could get everyones password :shock:

Dont worry, thats impossible. You would have to be right next to it at its keyboard, and know all of its securities before the attempt, to hack it.

Runescape is safe from hack :)

edit : safe from "real" hacks, not from players doing dumb stuff inside it. But thats not gonna affect the game itself

There have been several brake-ins at "internet stores" where the hackers have managed to get entire credit card number databases (which obviously weren't encrypted :wink: ).

From my experience as a person responsible for security for internet servers uncrypted pwd databases always sound like a bad idea...

P.S. Although i know that the average age/I.Q. of a RuneScape player probably isn't high enough for true attacks on servers, they barely manage to call you "n00b" ;-)

noob. \'

I live in England, and a common phrase battered around the daily papers is "nanny state". This refers to the government controlling more and more aspects of our lives that a person should be able to manage themselves. E.g setting guidlines on what foods to eat and so on.

Does anybody else think RS is becoming nanny state(ish)?

Despite how that li'l paragraph may have made it sound i don't think this is neccesarily a *bad* or *wrong* update. Account security is quite important. This could also go part way to slowing down account trading. Or make it harder to report. Passwords would have to be exchanged through methods other than in game chat.

Would like to hear some opinions.

Ace

And if you do all you can, that's all you can ever do. - Warren Rudman

But men are men; the best sometimes forget. - William Shakespeare

6bveg5y.jpg

Err...what's wrong with blocking the password?

This halts one of the most potent scams out there!

This is terriable!

Lets say my password is apple (it is not, so dont even try this)

I type "Selling apples 200 gp ea"

what appears is: "Selling *****s 200 gp ea"

Insto facto, there goes my account for trying to sell apples.

Passwords would have to be exchanged through methods other than in game chat.

This update actraully does nothing

Player one is selling an account to Player two

Player one: Ok i'm going to change the pass to apples, it's ****** right now

Player one: Stupid filter, anyway, it'll be apples after you pay me

Player Two: Ok

Player two pays Player one

Player one changes pass to apples

Player One: Ok All done

If anything this will increase scamming. Becuase Player one can claim to change the pass and never do, leaving Player Two empty handed.

made0f12une.png

^^ClicK^^

"I backed my car into a cop car the other day

Well he just drove off sometimes life's ok

Alright already we'll all float on

Alright don't worry we'll all float on" - Isaac Brock

Days Hunting:4 - Kingly Imps Caught:2

Money Earned: 4.5-5m

This update is just stupid....

When I first saw it I was like omg, they censored the WORD, which would let the rest of the phrase turn this into one of those grammar exercises, fill in the right word ^^

Then I read it was the entire phrase that got blocked, it doesn't make sense, of course its smart for people to use a difficult password which isn't a word and isn't ever said ingame, but some people like to have their password in a certain way and make it easy to remember, as long as they're sure they will never type it ingame it's fine.

When I saw the scam jagex censors your password I knew it wasn't true even though noone had ever told me so, it would just be stupid to say: "Today I'm going to taverly to kill a blue ******" people who type their pass ingame are just insanely stupid, they should be hacked and be scared out of playing this game so they won't ruin it for others... Call me egoistic? Go ahead! I'm not the one begging jagex for certain changes just because it would make my ingame life easier, nor am I complaining when they DO add or change certain things. People should try to just stop complaining about everything and start playing this game the best way they can with the things available....

argh...

Then I read it was the entire phrase that got blocked

Well I guess this isn't as bad as I thouight but still HIGHLY un-nessacary.

I know, I for one have had my runescape password many random common words. Things so common, no one would think of it. Such as carpet for instance, I've never used this password but it is a total possiability. No one owuld ever think "Oh yea, he put his password as carpet since he ahs one in his room!"

Sometimes I don't understand Jagex's antics, but they're doing whatever's best I suppose

made0f12une.png

^^ClicK^^

If you're not in either category, then why does it matter what Jagex does to safeguard it's players?

Because players with brains get annoyed by Jagex' irritating warnings and things you can't do because some people refuse to think. Yes, in this case nobody is negatively influenced, but this was the case with the ditch, and whatever may come next.

This is the ridiculous argument i see often, you feel you are clever enough to not require these things and feel burdened by them even if they have no practical effect??!! The it insults my intelligence just being there argument is that of a child trying to impress others. Sorry to quasi-flame but you asked for it.

As for general trend, i.e: if they make the game fool-proof you will have more fools, that doesnt stand up for even a second,people will not get 'stupider' because the game protects them from fraud.

I know, I for one have had my runescape password many random common words. Things so common, no one would think of it. Such as carpet for instance, I've never used this password but it is a total possiability. No one owuld ever think "Oh yea, he put his password as carpet since he ahs one in his room!"

Sometimes I don't understand Jagex's antics, but they're doing whatever's best I suppose

Type you're password in part 1337? for instance if your password was chocolate, change it to ch0c0late, that way it wouldn't block out your sentences when selling/talking in rs. It would work unless you talk in 1337 normally :D

Note, my password is not and never has been chocolate or any 1337 variations. ::'

My Blog

2 Visage Drops.

Over 1800 Castle Wars Tickets..

110715145129.png

Errr.png

Type you're password in part 1337? for instance if your password was chocolate, change it to ch0c0late, that way it wouldn't block out your sentences when selling/talking in rs. It would work unless you talk in 1337 normally :D

Note, my password is not and never has been chocolate or any 1337 variations. ::'

I usually stick a number combination at the end of my password. It's a number that somehow got fried into my memory and I use it for other things such as bike lock combination.

So I could use the password apples and change it to apples5345

made0f12une.png

^^ClicK^^

very pointless , if you type your password then your [developmentally delayed]ed

RSN: 1 day late | Private chat: On

| 60 ATTACK | 81 STRENGTH | 72 HITPOINTS |

| 80 MAGIC | 13 PRAYER | 1 DEFENSE | 65 COMBAT |

The amount of whining I see going on in general P2P, where people claim to be a few brain stems better than the kids on RsOF is stunning to the point of amusing.

What's it to you if Jagex wants to prevent some 13 year olds from being tricked into typing out their passwords? I dare any of you complainers to think back to when you were 13 and honestly tell me you weren't the dumbest thing on the planet ever to be born. I'll help you right now- you were stupid, you were gullible, and so was everyone else when they were younger.

The "yeah but they could be spending time with other updates" is countered by the fact that Jagex will now be recieving FEWER complaints and reports about scamming, luring, and whatever other nasty things happen to them. That means less work in customer support required and MORE UPDATES FOR YOU (even though you have no idea what kind of cushy life you have with rs2, rsc players got 1 update a month at the most and they were HAPPY about it).

Seriously, if you pick this update to whine about, you're really no better than all the babies in the RSOF rant forums. Go yap with them if a security measure for kids bothers you so much.

I don't see the big deal, if you would use your password a lot, then just change it to something random, but easy to remember. I have a different password on every site I use, which is a lot. Important dates, or names that you wouldnt use, or your favorite type of bird. Anything can be used, and this is why they did this. Get over yourselves and change your password for once in your life. I change mine every few months.

sig3gk6.png

We ALL know whats next for scammers...

Scam i am:Omg, haha, jagex blocks your pass even backwards!

Victim of low iq: drowssap!

victim of low iq: noooooooooooooooo

Scam i am: bwuahahahahah

--------------

Lovely init?

scammers will always find other ways ways to scam people :wall:

instead of always making new updates wich anoys and protect us (like wildy ditch). Make us aware of new type of scams.

Perhaps they could make something like 'report scam' and it's just like the report bug system but with new type of scams. After jagex found a new type of scam all they have to do is add it in a news warning on the front page.

krikke321.png

Computers will never be above humans because we made them.

That's what monkeys used to say about us.

If you're not in either category, then why does it matter what Jagex does to safeguard it's players?

Because it's like FEEDING the leechers on your body. Only in this case, the leechers are the brainless baffoons or eight year olds that really should not even be playing the game.

The more they PROTECT them, the more they will want to play. But that's jagex goal after all, because they have such a wide range of young players; financially this is the best move for them in the short term period. In the long-term run, the game will be dead within a few years unless they do something to fix it.

runemmage,Falconmage4.gif

and yet people still complain that they get scammed even though jagex creates these updates. so in my opinion most people that complain about the ditch and everything else because they got scammed still has an IQ below 70

emote.gif

http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?t=615955

click link to go to ganon95 productions

runescape requires a lot of skills, napoleon dynamyte would love this game

i am the proud owner of the quest point cape; all quests done 12/04/06