Pass blocking - Part 2 of Jagex's update for fools

blacksimon

[hide=Disclaimer]

I like illiterate people.

I like this update (In other words, Im not complaining about it), just to recap.

I don't like where this is going though. Jagex is wasting the time of players with a brain, to hold little kid's hands.

[/hide]

1st it was the wilderness ditch. Now Jagex actually blocks your pass. Whats next?

"Warning Simon Il Pk is trying to trade you"

"Keep in mind he might be a scammer"

*Accepts, 1st trade screen opens*

"Make sure you check both sides of the trade window"

"CAUTION! Simon Il Pk has changed the value of one of the items"

*accepts value change*

"Warning, you are about to trade, be aware you cannot get your items back"

"unless you press THIS button within 10 seconds"

*accepts*

--------------------------

Honestly, Jagex should require an IQ higher than 70 to play runescape. Anyone that give thier pass to someone else is itching to get all thier stuff taking away. The ditch is just a pain, and it looks boring.

------------------------

And I love it :D

The fact is, for every update the moaners come out:

If its low levels, the high levels moan

If its high level, the low levels moan

If its medium level, well then everyone moans

If it involves a weapon pures can use, mains moan

if the pures cant use it, guess what, pures moan

If is doesn't involve cabbage the OoC will moan

I stand by my "not every update can be catered toward you" statement.

^Barons Theory^

Jagex can stop complaining in a few ways.

1. Stop the behind the scenes every month, they only dissapoint us by getting our hopes up too high.

2. Less frequent but wider updates. (No update for 4 weeks, but we get bracelets, new ranger armor from lvl 30 to 80)

3. Stop the Behind the sc...nevermind

^My solution^

If you complain about this update then you are a password scammer

^^^So im a password scammer because Jagex promised us braclets and we get a big hole in the wild, and Jagex telling us "it doesn't matter how stupid you are, we are going to hold you hand, that way we can get even more 9 year olds playing this game"^^^

sigsn9.jpg

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Err...what's wrong with blocking the password?

This halts one of the most potent scams out there!

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

So what if they are trying to help out,more naive people?

The only people it will affect is:

1. The "foolish" who fall for these things

2. And the ones who use it against them.

If you're not in either category, then why does it matter what Jagex does to safeguard it's players?

If Jagex ever made a perfect update, there would be players complaining about nothing to complain about.

[hide=My Stats]Jake_Corsair.png[/hide]

I think that could be a better approach like, when you say your pass a message appears when you hit enter like.... 'jagex can't block your pass! your being a newb!'

Don't you know the first rule of MMO's? Anyone higher level than you has no life, and anyone lower than you is a noob.

People in OT eat glass when they are bored.

If you're not in either category, then why does it matter what Jagex does to safeguard it's players?

Because players with brains get annoyed by Jagex' irritating warnings and things you can't do because some people refuse to think. Yes, in this case nobody is negatively influenced, but this was the case with the ditch, and whatever may come next.

The interesting part about this update is - not that they block the passwords, which *could* be useful to prevent scams - but that the actual password database is obviously not encrypted...

Even though they clearly state it on the website that "You should not use the same password on every site...", it is kind of shocking to find out that a single hacker hitting the database could get everyones password :shock:

dragonmlunar,vporo.gif

So.

Hypothetical situation:

Player A uses his girlfriend's name as password.

Player A engages in a conversation with Player B (a friend).

Player A says: Gotta go, is at the door.

Player A sees the ******** come up.

Player B dies in a laughing fit.

Is my imagination running away with me or is this a distinct possibility?

Edit: oh okay, just read on the RS website that they block out the whole sentence...

So.

Hypothetical situation:

Actually the whole sentence would be blocked, so Player B won't see anything but *'s

If Jagex ever made a perfect update, there would be players complaining about nothing to complain about.

[hide=My Stats]Jake_Corsair.png[/hide]

Sorry Jake but I disagree, it impacts us all. The time in which Jagex have spent developing a password filter could have been spent on developing other in game content.

I'm all for safeguarding players interests through enhanced website security etc. But really, a ditch to stop people "accidentally" wandering into the wilderness and a filter to stop you telling someone else your password? What age range/IQ level are they catering to? And what happened to learning from your own mistakes?

I'm also absolutely intrigued as to what goes through someone's mind when they think it's a good idea to type their password into chat anyway.

I wonder if they'll do the same for credit card numbers now? "hmmm, it looks as if you're trying to give away your credit card details... Are you sure this is wise?"

Mordendravid.png

The interesting part about this update is - not that they block the passwords, which *could* be useful to prevent scams - but that the actual password database is obviously not encrypted...

Even though they clearly state it on the website that "You should not use the same password on every site...", it is kind of shocking to find out that a single hacker hitting the database could get everyones password :shock:

Dont worry, thats impossible. You would have to be right next to it at its keyboard, and know all of its securities before the attempt, to hack it.

Runescape is safe from hack :)

edit : safe from "real" hacks, not from players doing dumb stuff inside it. But thats not gonna affect the game itself

Quest cape obtained at combat level 83, march 07.

The update moaners strike again.

Oh noes they protected people from scams! They could have spent this time on another update that we would have moaned about just as much

Stop expecting Jagex to cater everything to you, and we already got a nice prayer destroying mace so I'm happy.

Why am I wasting time on this post, I'm going to mash some prayers at cwars.

1st it was the wilderness ditch. Now Jagex actually blocks your pass. Whats next?

"Warning Simon Il Pk is trying to trade you"

"Keep in mind he might be a scammer"

*Accepts, 1st trade screen opens*

"Make sure you check both sides of the trade window"

"CAUTION! Simon Il Pk has changed the value of one of the items"

*accepts value change*

"Warning, you are about to trade, be aware you cannot get your items back"

"unless you press THIS button within 10 seconds"

*accepts*

--------------------------

Honestly, Jagex should require an IQ higher than 70 to play runescape. Anyone that give thier pass to someone else is itching to get all thier stuff taking away. The ditch is just a pain, and it looks boring.

-.-

shhhh dont give them more lame ideas i mean that password one totally messes me up because sometimes i use my password in a converstation but its so discrete that no one would ever know, now i gotta change my password to something thats hard to remember this is pathetic. probably the next thing they will release is that when you log in you must click a accept message "welcome to runescape, it is possible to get scammed and lose your items if you play this game so we suggest you be careful not to play so you dont lose your items due to a lack of IQ please click the accept button to enter runescape if you do no mind the slight possibility of getting scammed and losing your pixels' [/bad idea]
kirby-sig.gif

So.

Hypothetical situation:

Actually the whole sentence would be blocked, so Player B won't see anything but *'s

but what if it's two ppl that know eachother, and they know what they are talking about, and see a bunch of ***** come up? Wouldn't the one kid be able to guess what his password is??

w4M8t.png

So.

Hypothetical situation:

but what if it's two ppl that know eachother, and they know what they are talking about, and see a bunch of ***** come up? Wouldn't the one kid be able to guess what his password is??

No, they don't use stars to cover the sentence, the sentence just doesn't appear at all.

ki7Gvlk.png

To hell with humanity;

The more I see, the less I believe.

Dont worry, thats impossible. You would have to be right next to it at its keyboard, and know all of its securities before the attempt, to hack it.

Runescape is safe from hack :)

edit : safe from "real" hacks, not from players doing dumb stuff inside it. But thats not gonna affect the game itself

There have been several brake-ins at "internet stores" where the hackers have managed to get entire credit card number databases (which obviously weren't encrypted :wink: ).

From my experience as a person responsible for security for internet servers uncrypted pwd databases always sound like a bad idea...

P.S. Although i know that the average age/I.Q. of a RuneScape player probably isn't high enough for true attacks on servers, they barely manage to call you "n00b" ;-)

dragonmlunar,vporo.gif

The update moaners strike again.

Oh noes they protected people from scams! They could have spent this time on another update that we would have moaned about just as much

Stop expecting Jagex to cater everything to you, and we already got a nice prayer destroying mace so I'm happy.

Why am I wasting time on this post, I'm going to mash some prayers at cwars.

Way to go on the intelligent, factual argument you've presented for discussion. Happily Jagex is currently busy tailoring their updates for players just like you.

Mordendravid.png

We ALL know whats next for scammers...

Scam i am:Omg, haha, jagex blocks your pass even backwards!

Victim of low iq: drowssap!

victim of low iq: noooooooooooooooo

Scam i am: bwuahahahahah

--------------

Lovely init?

sigsn9.jpg

And I love it :D

The fact is, for every update the moaners come out:

If its low levels, the high levels moan

If its high level, the low levels moan

If its medium level, well then everyone moans

If it involves a weapon pures can use, mains moan

if the pures cant use it, guess what, pures moan

If is doesn't involve cabbage the OoC will moan

I stand by my "not every update can be catered toward you" statement.

All the foolish people gets the updates, F2p dont lol.

ditch and this? :wall:

Hey Nicrune007 , Whats Your Username?

twss.jpg

99 Ranged on 2/6/07 99 Hit Points on 9/5/08 99 Defense on 26/4/08 99 Attack on 14/2/09 99 Strength on 25/2/09 99 Slayer on 13/9/09\:D/