Forum Advertisements Are Getting Out of Control!

*Checks the surrounding caves and brush for hiding administrators* (Oh wait, I like in a city, whoops)

(And if the problem is that you are strapped for cash, at least make the paypal donate button in a language that someone other than Viktor and Silverion can undersnd)

Yes I agree why is the paypal link in some weird language.

Because the owner of the site is from Italy. Tip.it. :wink:

Silverion was either living in, or still is, Italy when he created this site, that might explain it. Maybe they are forced to have it in Italiano due to PayPal working through the Italia Bank system? Who knows, but I'm sure they would've fixed it by now if it was fixable.

But seriously, if you've used PayPal before, or just pull up an online transltator, you can get the gist of what it is saying.

pyroqe6.jpg

Me doing staff.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah just saw a need ad.

*Hides in the corner*

Make it go away

This Ad is the one that wants you to take a survey

A SURVEY!!!!!!!

Wongton is better than me in anyway~~

94qbe.jpg

This is awful, as poorly as it works, if its broken fix it, Google is not the only good paying internet advertiser out there and I have already made my suggestion if something is working "poorly" then it is not working to the standards I would hope Tip.It would hold themselves to. And as you said they are against Jagex rules not illegal which is what people are posting.

Stop me if I'm wrong, but I think Cruiser may be referring to what Silverion said earlier:

they change URL of site once a day to evade our bans so basically you pass all day running and banning its urls.

What that means is that the ad of a gold-selling site will be blocked, but then they will change their URL, making the initial block seem almost pointless, since the ad with the new URL has to be blocked all over again. That's not something that can just be fixed in a heartbeat.

So the Google adsence filter is useless, its not like there are not better advertising programs with better filters out there including the one that has been pointed out several times in this thread, maybe even just test it to see if it would be adequate.

This is awful, as poorly as it works, if its broken fix it, Google is not the only good paying internet advertiser out there and I have already made my suggestion if something is working "poorly" then it is not working to the standards I would hope Tip.It would hold themselves to. And as you said they are against Jagex rules not illegal which is what people are posting.

Stop me if I'm wrong, but I think Cruiser may be referring to what Silverion said earlier:

they change URL of site once a day to evade our bans so basically you pass all day running and banning its urls.

What that means is that the ad of a gold-selling site will be blocked, but then they will change their URL, making the initial block seem almost pointless, since the ad with the new URL has to be blocked all over again. That's not something that can just be fixed in a heartbeat.

So the Google adsence filter is useless, its not like there are not better advertising programs with better filters out there including the one that has been pointed out several times in this thread, maybe even just test it to see if it would be adequate.

I'm trying out AdBrite on my site. So far, it seems pretty nice, though I've only had it for a day. It even lets you keep your old advertising code. If AdBrite thinks it can make you more money, it will replace your old ad with it's own. Otherwise it displays your old ads (such as Google Adsense).

Pixeloaded.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just a note to Mercifull ;)

We did have burstnet ads at one time, im not sure if we still do as i dont handle the ads here, but i do remember at one stage also having some problems with them with unwanted ads :)

Most sites not just runescape related fansites suffer from those buy gold ads from difffernt games, as Silverion said they change the darn url and hard to keep up with.

With the problem of flash ads, If they giving you trouble and i certainly hate them myself, then please report them to one of our Admins. Our i could make a topic up later where you can report the ads on that topic, so all that handle the ads problem will know where to go to find all your complaints.

For Silveiron to explain all about why we don't use certain ad companies etc, would take a long time to explain to you all and even then i doubt most here would understand the problem, No Offence meant at all* but also english isn't Silverion's first language and would not be a good idea for him to try and explain the nitty gritty of it all.

However we are always looking for new possible ad companies, and if you do know one that MIGHT be suitable for this site, that will not put adult/mailware in their ads, then please contact me and i will look into the T & C of the ad companies to see if we can in fact change over.

I know so some are annoying but only a very few are a pain, we need your help to get rid of them as we don't see them all! unless you post or complain to one of the admins here and they will pass ont he complaint to the site Admins that deal with ads. We do try to limit the problems here and try and keep on top of it at all times.

All the current advertisements are loaded via the Burstnet code even though some are served by other ad agencies. Having multiple ad companies which employ flash ads makes it very difficult to locate the source url of the bad ad and therefor which company to blacklist it from.

As for the RS Gold ads, yeah they change urls every 5 minutes, it makes it very difficult to remove these kinds of adverts no matter how active you trawl thru the blacklist. :( Perhaps give Google a break and try some other text based adverts in its place for a month. See how you get on, if its still provides as much income without subjecting the users to junk.

The online advertising industry is big business and there are so many competing companies, if an ad company is messing you about threaten to leave. If they dont clean up their act then go somewhere else. A site like Tip.it makes a fortune for the ad companies, probably more so than tipit ever gets from them and they would rather get less income by not serving bad ads/malware etc than losing your business and getting nothing at all. If google cant block the keywords "Runescape", "RS2" and "Gold" then go somewhere else, theres plenty of other companies just as good if not better.

Check out AdBrite, its the ad agency we use on the Battlestar Wiki. Provided you turn on the feature to moderate all adverts then you wont get anything bad. the targeting isnt so good as Googles formula but then most of the Google ads i see are irrelevant anyway tbh. A site like tipit would be much better selecting keyword type ads rather than based on the content of the page.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

well i haven't had these type of ads for a loing time but they were very annoying.

1 of the admins said suggest companies, it looks to me like they're suggesting adbrite.

the ad stuff jagex use on the offical site seems like it works good maybe you could try that if its possible coz there seems to be no trouble there.

Leader of Saradomins Army and saradomins army juniors

Well, at school on my computer I have ad blockers, but here at the civic library I can't add them.

I've seen ads of a sexual nature (worst of all the National Lampoon's ad which refreshes itself every page until you clear your cookies) all this week. It's kind of embarrassing for me to check this forum with this sort of crap up there.

I'd post the links. but it's a flash ad and I can't right-click it.

EDIT: And the Papparazzi Extreme ad. I really don't care to see "what is under Lindsay Lohan's Bikini" and I don't think the majority of this forum needs to see that either.

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

We are looking to find some replace thing for Google and we tryed a fey but still i need a 15 to 30 day runs so it is not immediate :( but i hope that before summer we will have something that can do the job.

Well, at school on my computer I have ad blockers, but here at the civic library I can't add them.

I've seen ads of a sexual nature (worst of all the National Lampoon's ad which refreshes itself every page until you clear your cookies) all this week. It's kind of embarrassing for me to check this forum with this sort of crap up there.

I'd post the links. but it's a flash ad and I can't right-click it.

EDIT: And the Papparazzi Extreme ad. I really don't care to see "what is under Lindsay Lohan's Bikini" and I don't think the majority of this forum needs to see that either.

Im not sure if that is our ADD paparazzi i was not able to find on my adv. lists are you sure it is not some spyware product pushing that out?

Silverion.png

You know this guy was once a top smith in all Runescape :P

If it bothers you so much uninstall flash! Like I had to do! I actually got a virus from one of them..
You may have clicked something in a flash movie and then installed a virus yourself but flash itself did not do it on its own. You are mistaken.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

If it bothers you so much uninstall flash! Like I had to do! I actually got a virus from one of them..
You may have clicked something in a flash movie and then installed a virus yourself but flash itself did not do it on its own. You are mistaken.

Yeah probably. But it stil lags my system down to a halt.

j0xPu5R.png

Spyware could be an issue, as this is a library computer.

And bloody heck, the Lampoon's ad is up again.

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

Add my voice to the chorus strongly objecting to the highly intrusive and unsafe ads recently appearing on tip.it.

I mean are tribalfusion popups really necessary? They are notorious for malware. EDIT: tribalfusion ads are typically associated with pronography and warez/hacking sites. You don't want to appear to be part of that element do you?

What's wrong with plain old Google or falkag ads? EDIT: You just need to be cagey about blocking gold ads... look up the owner of the domain, find all other domains they own, block all of them in the adsense blacklist, whether they are currently Google ad targets or not.(Block domains, not urls) That is the approach I have always taken with google ads and it has worked pretty well. It will save you a great deal of effort.

For tip.it users, I strongly advise the use of Firefox with the popup blocker enabled and the Flashblock extension to browse tip.it, otherwise you are taking a severe risk with the security of your PC. Using the two of these block almost all intrusive ads without the hassle of the noscript or adblock extensions. Also, using flashblock allows you to run flash objects only when desired, this is a superior solution to uninstalling flash.

To tip.it staff and management: this is otherwise a really good site, well executed, designed, hosted, lots of good info... overall an excellent job. It is a real shame to ruin it with intrusive ads that pose a real security risk to your users. I suggest you stop using them before it bites you in the rear.

maidenmail4r1c2sv6.gif

I swear every time I read another reply in one of these topics, I lose more and more braincells while the misinformation soaks in.

tribalfusion ads are typically associated with pronography and warez/hacking site

where do you come up with this crap ? Search around for articles and reviews of internet advertising , specifically tribalfusion, you will find it highly recommended and reliable.....

EDIT: You just need to be cagey about blocking gold ads... look up the owner of the domain, find all other domains they own, block all of them in the adsense blacklist, whether they are currently Google ad targets or not.(Block domains, not urls) That is the approach I have always taken with google ads and it has worked pretty well

If you actually do use google, which as you can tell, I doubt, you would know that they only allow 200 entries in their blacklists, so blocking every single domain someone owns before they even try to advertise it would be horribly counter productive.

I suggest you stop using them before it bites you in the rear.

Hmm , lets see , tip.it was first created in 1997 and 10 years later the traffic and userbase still continues to grow daily, somethings being done right.....

Also , I'd personally like to know what everyone else is doing wrong, I don't use FlashBlock, I don't block advertisements in any way shape or form, I don't block pop-ups on the Tip.it domains, and I still maintain a perfect track record of never being "infected" with any type of Spyware, trojan, virus, downloader, worm , etc etc etc.

Considering I've been using the internet as almost long as most of our users have been alive, I'd say that something you are doing wrong is what really poses the "threat" from these ads.

And bloody heck, the Lampoon's ad is up again.

Seriously, people need to chill out a bit, adverts are always going to flash some "catchy" phrase to grab your attention because they know damn well 99% of internet users never click on them anyways. If you are that easily "offended" by something that is rated PG-13 rated at best, then you really shouldn't be browsing the internet to begin with.

I like to fart silently but deadly in movie theaters
Ard Choille says (11:41 PM):

I wouldn't dare tell you what to do m'dear

tribalfusion ads are typically associated with pronography and warez/hacking site

where do you come up with this crap ? Search around for articles and reviews of internet advertising , specifically tribalfusion, you will find it highly recommended and reliable.....

Experience. Who is reviewing tribalfusion? Its users, pronography and warez sites owners, thus the good reviews. Show me a site with a good reputation that uses tribalfusion ads, you won't find many. However you'll find plenty of pron and warez sites use them.

EDIT: You just need to be cagey about blocking gold ads... look up the owner of the domain, find all other domains they own, block all of them in the adsense blacklist, whether they are currently Google ad targets or not.(Block domains, not urls) That is the approach I have always taken with google ads and it has worked pretty well

If you actually do use google, which as you can tell, I doubt, you would know that they only allow 200 entries in their blacklists, so blocking every single domain someone owns before they even try to advertise it would be horribly counter productive.

I ran a multiplayer gaming site with google ads for 3 years. I never ran into the blacklist limit because I blocked domains not individual urls. I passed the torch on running the site because it is generally a thankless task with too much aggravation and too little reward. But go ahead, call me a liar if it makes you feel better.

I suggest you stop using them before it bites you in the rear.

Hmm , lets see , tip.it was first created in 1997 and 10 years later the traffic and userbase still continues to grow daily, somethings being done right.....

Fine, ignore solid advice. Ignore my compliments that immediately preceded that sentence. Condescend to me, yup, that helps a lot.

Considering I've been using the internet as almost long as most of our users have been alive, I'd say that something you are doing wrong is what really poses the "threat" from these ads.

OK old man, but I think my opinion on the matter has as much weight as yours as indicated by my grey beard, bald head and years of experience in website development and design.

These ads pose no threat to me even if I did not use firefox and flashblock becasue I'm smart enough not to click on them, however I use these tools to save the annoyance and to eliminate the potential for an accidental click on a an ad that links to a malicious site.

Seriously, people need to chill out a bit

Back atacha bud. I think you're just ticked because the site owner assigned you some work to deal with this, and as mentioned, it is generally thankless and has little to no reward.

I just wanted to make a helpful suggestion or two and compliment you on a well designed site with lots of good content, which you chose to ignore. (you wont get much recognition like that, take it where you can, trust me I know all too well). But go ahead, vent your frustrations on me, I don't really care. Thanks anyway for the helpful site and these ads pose no danger to me however the more gullible and less experienced portion of your audience could easily be harmed by these ads.

Its your site, do what you like with it, and I'll either use it or not depending on the pros and cons. Putting me down with no clue of who I am or what I know is counterproductive. So stop complaining and get back to work!

maidenmail4r1c2sv6.gif

I'm almost glad I stopped caring about this thread long ago. I have not gotten one of the half page flash ads in a while, and am perfectly happy. Tip only uses popunder windows sparingly, like, if I've been browsing around for a while, and close out, and there is an ad for screensavers, I really don't mind it. The ad on the page right now is for Crest Whitestrips, nothing is wrong with it. The popunder I am seeing right now is an advert for "Monster". It is easy to close, and directs me to their website, not some third-party site. Chill out and live with it, you guys.