They were giving out a REWARD for info on the dupe?

gunshafted

i was reading through jegex's old updates when i came across this entry about the duplication bug years ago:

7 November 2003 - Duplicated items in game

It has come to our attention that someone has worked out a way of duplicating or creating items in RuneScape unfairly. Particularly it seems they are doing this with christmas-crackers which produce party hats.

Obviously this is a pretty obscure problem, since it's taken over 10,000 combined years of RuneScape playing for anyone to find it, but we're determined to close this hole.

Update: This problem is now fixed, thanks for everyone who offered help. With respect to the reward we offered, this will be given to the person who sent the first email explaining how the object creation was done.

this got me really curious... i know that operated differantly back then but jagex would never offer a monetary reward for information like that would they?

My question is to anyone who happened to be around back then: What exactly WAS the reward they were offering? was it in game money? items? real money? im just really curious...

Something that also caught my attention was this page

13 February 2003 - The biggest update ever...

...Some of these things were suggestions from players, that just weren't possible under the current game engine.

Things like bank-to-bank trading, multi-player combat (e.g. multiple people against one dragon), and rare weapons with special moves. Excited? You should be!

bank to bank trading? i wonder why they never did that? sounds like a splendid idea to me...

B2B as it was called in rsc (man I love being old-school) was ditched because Jagex decided having hundreds of ppl trying to trade in the bank would be very crowded...Instead they introduced notes.

The reward was a lie also. I can't remember it was either lifetime members or year supply of free members. So many ppl turned in how they did it, they just used that to figure out who did it( a lot of the ppl who turned in how they did it, were the ones who did it, and ended up getting ip ban) xx Jut xx has a site that explains it.

http://games.infoseka.lt/scamming2.html

*shudders at the memory of certs*

*and again*

booduz69 I heard they gave free membership too...

*one final shudder*

35b9enp.jpg

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reward was a lifetime of free membership.

I remember that phats were going for like 50k or something the days after the dupe, and that the purple one was worth the most before the dupe, but since they made so many of 'em they are now worth the least.

Patrik001.png

88102pbj 8a - BANNED at 108 combat 2004 - 84 Combat RSC.

Patrik001 - 72 Attack 50 Defence 92 Strength RSC.

X Patrik X - 85 Attack 75 Defence 92 Strength RSC.

If I were there when those were duped I'd be sooo rich right now :(

How come, people didn't get an infinite number of phats for 50k each back then ? They knew how phats had risen before the dupe, and it's obvious the duper wouldn't last forever..... :S

For that you would have to understand the attitude at the time. Everyone with a p hat thought they would get permenantly banned for buying one during that time and many people suspected jagex would do a rollback of all information.

It would be like today if someone told you of a bug where you could get a d chain drop from every kill of dust devils. Would you actually abuse this bug thinking that jagex wouldnt be able to find out about it and ban you for it? If you were smart you would most likely stay far away and not risk your character getting banned. Thats what people did then. A million party hats did you no good in the black hole.

The black hole was gone long before the dupe noob.

Quote from Kaitnieks (creator of AutoRune and SCAR).

Andrew promised Dylock lifetime membership if he helps.

Instead of that he banned his account. Go on, help the kind RS mods, your reward will be a ban, you know you want it.

Th3_C4bb4g3.png

Th3_C4bb4g3.png

Th3_C4bb4g3.png

- Back to casual f2p scaping due to limited time (university and girlfriend <3:) -

zot_mutske theres a topic with images of the black hole somewere deep in the P2P general thread.

i knew i should have duped my phat before it was lost...

rest in peicemy beautiful hat....you shall be AVENGED!

only if you had [ForbiddenSite] you could dupe :roll: so don't lie about it :S

sig312.png

angel2w.gif

Quote from Kaitnieks (creator of [ForbiddenSite] and SCAR).

Andrew promised Dylock lifetime membership if he helps.

Instead of that he banned his account. Go on, help the kind RS mods, your reward will be a ban, you know you want it.

lmfao andrew didnt promise dylock anything those 2 had nothin to do with the dupe

The reward was a lifetime of free membership.

I remember that phats were going for like 50k or something the days after the dupe, and that the purple one was worth the most before the dupe, but since they made so many of 'em they are now worth the least.

im sorry... but what the cr** was the point of saying this?? it's been said 20 or so times already, i mean wth?

dont be a selfish pr***, read at least the last f***** page before writing a reply... for gods sake!!!

omg youve made me so f****** angry, seriously, you are a selfish... ok im gunna shut up now before i get myself banned... but...

please dont do this again... it annoys everyone... post count is earned, not copied.

on topic: thx for all the replys... even the ones that are repeating

the previous post... *cough*, old school is so interesting :D

and jagex's sinister side is scary... im really starting to wonder what they ACTUALLY did... noone seems to know for sure of jagex were being the bad guys here... and i cant imaine them doing something so eveil... heh, i guess maybe it just had to be done...

siggity siggity shwa

yeah, me and darkdude are some of the only old-school left...its getting thinner(by some of the only, I mean in the 100,000's :D)...

Phyi, don't forget poor lil Hohto :P Heck, I was a global mod at these boards when duping was going on.

And poor das, lord knows i posted way too much then :oops:

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

The "reward" was a perm ban, because if they knew how it was done, then they must of done it.

So they banned all the people who sent in information on it, because they were trying to be good runescape citizens, and what happens? they get perm banned.

coolio0wjos1.jpg

My WoW character, gnome warlock Saldomar

and jagex's sinister side is scary... im really starting to wonder what they ACTUALLY did... noone seems to know for sure of jagex were being the bad guys here... and i cant imaine them doing something so eveil... heh, i guess maybe it just had to be done...

yeah see, thats what most people from the old school will tell you. andrew used to post up on the LAVA island in full black armor, where natures respawn in the wilderness and SHOOT people with range!!!!! jagex back in rsc wasnt anything compared to jagex now. u can ask most people that actually were there on the day of the dupe. it wasnt just 1 person, it was a scary sinister side to jagex trying to lower the desire for party hats by doing somthing about it.

glad they did it, cuz i banked :mrgreen:

btw- i actually found a pic of andrew doing that.

andrewranging1lm.jpg

http://www.runescaperealm.com/special_r ... pe_History

alotta old school info for you gunshafted.

off topic. tks was the man, this was like the first #1 player but he was unlike any of the #1s. he talked to anyone who talked to him, very friendly

as of now in the current version of runescape, i dont think were in for any other plots/extreme bugs/dupes/ or any other natural disasters (jagex or player created) after the durial thing.

I think this thread has to win the award for highest number of people posting what has already been said a million times before them :P

In a little hilltop village they gambled for my clothes

I bargained for salvation and they gave me a lethal dose

I offered up my innocence, I got repaid with scorn

"Come in'', she said, "I'll give you shelter from the storm"

i rmember that

didnt they dupe black p hats to?

black p hat doesn't exist

My friend was in that dupe scandal he walked into it didn't get banned because he knew they were going to get banned

FYI, the way the program used for the dupe works, it could be used to trick the server into receiving a packet making a phat appear black :wink:

So you would end up with a fake black phat.

And also, while the dupe is not possible anymore, the method the hackers used still exists.....

I'm pretty sure they have quite a few encrypted "ping" packets to find hackers tho, so you'd probably be banned if you tried to edit anything.

arcanasigx2xg8.gif

One%20must%20be%20a%20wise%20reader%20to%20quote%20wisely%20and%20well..png

Dont%20cry%20because%20its%20over,%20Smile%20because%20it%20happened.png

never knew kait ownt them that bad, personally I never was old school enough to have been in nor at this point or that been willing to risk what I had, but they couldn't figure it out?

I bet after that the infiltraition was heavy.

lets just say, varrock square was totally invaded by party hat buyers/sellers, in more then just 1 server. and it seemed like everyone there had a rare. i used to have a few pics of some girl trading me a green for 2m, then showing me a full inv. of party hats and random crackers. but since rcs ive got a new comp :roll:

thats what made the purple hat what it is today, it used to be the rarest hat then on the day of the dupe so many were created, after the dust settled everyone relized there were alot less blues then purples now. and wasnt purple pink back in rsc???

Yea the purples now-a-days was the pink in rsc

Main Account - Max cape achieved 10th September 2011
Noob Account - 2300 total and climbing 

6CCmn.jpg

The "reward" was a fake I am quit certain.

I wasn't playing when this bug was about, but that message was still on the main page when i started playing. I remember because I wanted to dupe my mith plate :(

RIP Michaelangelopolous

u can control my tip it account, but youll never control how fine i am!

This is by FAR my favorite song:

I love N_odie and would never edit his posts! I love Rainy_Day too <3 And also Cowman_133. <33 Oh, and Laikrob is a going to hunt me down and kill me like a pest kangaroo if I reveal how awesome she is. I owe tripsis skittles. DarkDude feels like he's missing out. This is my siggy! - n_odie Rainy_Day MINE! - n_odie Rainy_Day And meol shouldn't feel left out. Oh, and Y_Guy is a noob awesome

yeah, me and darkdude are some of the only old-school left...its getting thinner(by some of the only, I mean in the 100,000's :D)...

Phyi, don't forget poor lil Hohto :P Heck, I was a global mod at these boards when duping was going on.

*cough cough* *Raises hand* I was around at the time off the dupe. My scapeboard name was '007007008plp' :)

bunyip.png

yeah see, thats what most people from the old school will tell you. andrew used to post up on the LAVA island in full black armor, where natures respawn in the wilderness and SHOOT people with range!!!!! jagex back in rsc wasnt anything compared to jagex now. u can ask most people that actually were there on the day of the dupe. it wasnt just 1 person, it was a scary sinister side to jagex trying to lower the desire for party hats by doing somthing about it.

glad they did it, cuz i banked :mrgreen:

btw- i actually found a pic of andrew doing that.

andrewranging1lm.jpg

http://www.runescaperealm.com/special_r ... pe_History

alotta old school info for you gunshafted.

off topic. tks was the man, this was like the first #1 player but he was unlike any of the #1s. he talked to anyone who talked to him, very friendly

as of now in the current version of runescape, i dont think were in for any other plots/extreme bugs/dupes/ or any other natural disasters (jagex or player created) after the durial thing.

tks is a "he" now ehh? anyway, funny site that is, calling tks a pioneer, even that she wasn't too early leader of the highscores skill total, and what the heck is about l6vi getting number 1 skill total AFTER tks?? l6vi was in control before her, and he had gotten the rank from ashley i think, who held it for a while after tiwi's ban, crappy site... oh and andrew didn't like fair fights in wildy too much :P i know some people got him down but at least against me and god420247 he simply modteled after he managed to hug greater demon with about 10 hp...

The "reward" was a fake I am quit certain.

I wasn't playing when this bug was about, but that message was still on the main page when i started playing. I remember because I wanted to dupe my mith plate :(

It most likely wasn't a fake, but imagine it this way: do you seriously think they would give free membership and not ban someone who did what was done then. The reward was more pointed to those who knew something but who weren't guilty for it.

Gotta agree with you Thehate :P Seriously if they estimate there prices for unexistant items like r2h in 2001 (first ones were smithed in late 2001), forget the combat lvl showing for other pkers before wildy was released, tells us that Musa was the 2nd 99 smith (where's Gormis, Krest or Iampenguin?), claims that Zonghui was the first lvl 123 character, still has the legendary fake pic of the knife bug and claims it's real and so on, it can't be taken seriously.

signaturehoh.jpg

I'd rather die for what I believe in than live for anything else.

Name Removed by Administrator ~Turtlefemm

i know some people got him down but at least against me and god420247 he simply modteled after he managed to hug greater demon with about 10 hp...

=D> thats great stuff. jagex lost its sense of humor when rs2 was release.

i only put tks as a "he" because in rsc whenever i saw him he was a male character.