WoW vs RS

Okay, so I'm back after 2 weeks of playing WoW. I wanted to share some of the things that I thought about while making this journey through both MMORPGs. I'm going to list the main Pro's and Con's. Then maybe compare and contrast.

WoW Pro's

Better graphics. (obviously)

More weapon, armour, and clothes options.

Better viewing options.

More quests.

Team and group/party options.

Ability to filter/unfilter cursing.

Ability to play with several characters of different races.

When you die, you don't lose your items.

WoW Con's:

Massive updates (took me hours on a high speed connection to get them all)

Hard to understand at first. (RS comparatively was easy, even without guides)

Higher Price than RS to play + ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã15 or more to buy the actual game.

Can only be played on computers with it installed.

2 Skills can only be trained at once.

RS Pro's:

A massive economy, with trading highly encouraged.

Javascript, meaning that nearly anybody can play it from nearly any computer.

Can be played for free, if short on money.

Many skills to train.

Easy to understand.

RS Con's:

Graphics, music, and sound all leave something to be desired. (cmon Jagex, even having more distiguishable faces would be nice).

Not many reasons other than skillcapes to get all the way to 99. As well as not many high lvl quests.

Macroing (hopefully something more serious will be done about it now).

Jagex making the game aimed at younger and younger people.

Okay, now some things that are similar.

Both WoW and RS:

Have people that earn gold to make real money (especially annoying on WoW when they whisper you about buying gold).

Are very addictive, enjoyable games, where the community can either be annoying, or helpful.

Are about lvling, which basically means that the higher you are, the higher you hit, the more tough monsters you attack and so on.

Cost money to really appreciate them.

Contrasts:

WoW ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã8 - RS ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã3 (approx, WoW excl game cost)

Disk space - Internet

Thats about all I can think of for now. Has anybody else played both?

(Note: This is not meant to bash either game, just compare and discuss the good and bad things about both. So please don't start flaming, saying that one of them is awesome and the other is rubbish.)

dragonmdefault,britrockdude.gif

Main Goal; To have all skills 50+

My avatar is: The Shins- Oh Inverted World

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You made some very nice points. Many of which are hard to argue with. But you did say that Jagex needs to improve the graphics, which they are working on. Graphics are very limited in a java game, so they are doing the best they can.

I do agree with you about the making Runescape for younger people part though. Seems with every other update it gets harder for idiots to mess up their accounts :-k

Yep I'm a Magic Black. BUt when I used to play magic I was always blue.

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean about the graphics. It is very limiting with it being a java game, I think it would just be nicer to have a few small things like more detailed faces or more clothes options in RS, just for a bit more individuality! ::'

And yes, I'm sure theres probably quite a few youngsters on WoW, it just doesn't seem quite as obvious on there. Least it didn't on my 2 weeks there.

(Glad you think I made good points, I was a bit worried!)

dragonmdefault,britrockdude.gif

Main Goal; To have all skills 50+

My avatar is: The Shins- Oh Inverted World

I've played both (playing WoW now) and there really is no competition - WoW is the better game, but what did you expect?

The game uses a massive world brought alive by retail boxes and online patching, which doesn't take long at all should you find suitable mirrors. The game costs more, by quite a bit, but you get a whole lot more. A massive gaming environment, huge PvP areas, a mass abundance of quests and great guild support; something which RS clearly lacks.

Then again, it can be said that you should get all of this, anything less wouldn't be worth it. The fact that RS can be played for free on any PC with an internet connection is a testimony itself, the accessibility of the game is unlimited, explaining its popularity. While JAGeX constantly updates to make the game more summersive, it will never have the capabilities of WoW, but nor is it intending to be.

WoW, as an MMORPG for features, gameplay and community, surpasses RS in every aspect, but it comes as no surprise. One may argue that for what you pay for RS, you get a lot in return, but you do with WoW as well. Both are great games for the audience they appeal to, perhaps even front runners in the MMORPG world. For the casual gamer, or for the one with less PC power at their disposal, RS is champion. For those who want a more engulfing MMORPG experience and are willing to pay extra, WoW is unrivalled...at the moment ;)

Nice post Bubsa

Pretty much what I was going to say, although I think that most of the runescape community is better than the community of World of Warcraft.

The only other problem about World of Warcraft is that it's to good <.<

I'd actually go back on myself and say there is no better 'overall' community - because you'll always get the good and the bad in any one. I haven't experienced as many griefers in WoW as I did in RS, but I know friends who play who've had it worse. So, I guess it's quite luck orientated really.

I'd actually go back on myself and say there is no better 'overall' community - because you'll always get the good and the bad in any one. I haven't experienced as many griefers in WoW as I did in RS, but I know friends who play who've had it worse. So, I guess it's quite luck orientated really.

Tell me about luck. I use my friends WoW account to play on my own charecter and he get's so jealous because I have way better friends than he does.

A good point to add to WoW, you can't be lured to lose your items. You can only be scammed to lose your items. Even then scamming is very often. I've heard 2 people who have been scammed so far.

~MAK

Very intresting...I didn't know WoW was that expensive :shock: .

Yeah that was one of the reasons I use my friends WoW account, but my own charecter. It's to expensive, and my graphics card broke so I can't play counter strike eaither (1mb of graphics...)

~MAK

WoW and RS aren't on the same level. In fact WoW is so much better than RS it shouldn't even be compared to it.

Just a brief point about Pking / PVPing.

For instance, Pking in RS is all about levels. There is no 'pking skill' essentially. The higher your combat stats, better chance of killing the other player.

PVPing in WoW is about individual skill. Don't get me wrong, better items do play a role, but at end game it really comes down to knowing how to use your character, knowing your strengths and weaknesses against each different class, knowing how a class will react to a manouvre of yours, knowing how to counter a manouvre or another class, etc.

I'm an experienced RS player, played it for over 4 years. I did have a lot of enjoyable hours on it, don't get me wrong. But there is no comparison to the 6 months of enjoyment i have had from playing WoW.

As for initially starting to play WoW;

WoW definately is harder to understand at first when compared to RS, but knowledge is the basis of being good at the game. The more you understand, the better you are. Where as in RS, all you need is general knowledge and you can level your way to being the best without having skill.

Noone can know everything about every class or every skill or every instance about WoW. I do remember a time when i knew everything about every city, every skill, every item in RS though, and i am sure plenty of people do today know almost all of RS's content.

U like RS because RS has more non-combat related skills and a more non-combat OR combat based system.

As for the combat half, WoW probably wins...but as for PKing, RS has a better system if you ask me. The wilderness is a great way to allow player-killing while at the same time adding awareness. And dueling? I dont think WoW even has that... ;)

RS FTW :P

I really dont mind the RS graphics....

RSs little click and wait to eat a lobbie is kinda rediculous (when pkin). They should have it more realistic that it takes MORE training, planning, ect ect.

WoW is ok in my opinion. It is extremely confusing at first but you start to get a hang of it. RS does have waaay more "younger" people

unorclanpixelsigzu1.png

Thanks to the amazing talent of Jopie211 for the sig!

Finest Fist of Guthix Strategy Guide

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean about the graphics. It is very limiting with it being a java game, I think it would just be nicer to have a few small things like more detailed faces or more clothes options in RS, just for a bit more individuality! ::'

And yes, I'm sure theres probably quite a few youngsters on WoW, it just doesn't seem quite as obvious on there. Least it didn't on my 2 weeks there.

(Glad you think I made good points, I was a bit worried!)

Theyre workinf on it :) Ever done the enlightenned journey quest?

Anyway there's no reason at all to whine about the graphics, this is, after all, the most technogicly advanced Java game/program on earth..

Quest cape obtained at combat level 83, march 07.

i bought world of warcraft and after a week i took it back it was too confusing,to hard,and the combat is to hard to undertsnad and quests are simple "go kill this talk to him kill this thing again he used a potion"

while runescape

"easy to play,the graphics make it easier to play,the quests are origional,has much better skills and its not the least confusing"

world of warcraft was good but no online game compares to runescape in my opinion

sycosis5.png

winterkingre4.png

i bought world of warcraft and after a week i took it back it was too confusing,to hard,and the quests are hard to undertsnad and are simple "go kill this talk to him kill this thing again he used a potion"

We went through this in the WoW thread and it was said playing for a week was hardly a fair time period to judge the game. You also said you didn't buy it, but played it at a friend's house...

And the "quests are hard to understand and are simple"? Pardon?

i bought world of warcraft and after a week i took it back it was too confusing,to hard,and the quests are hard to undertsnad and are simple "go kill this talk to him kill this thing again he used a potion"

We went through this in the WoW thread and it was said playing for a week was hardly a fair time period to judge the game. You also said you didn't buy it, but played it at a friend's house...

And the "quests are hard to understand and are simple"? Pardon?

yeh i just notieced i mucked that up

after i played it at his house i gave it a second chance and it was confusing i meant to say thwe combat was to hard

sycosis5.png

winterkingre4.png

dont think that there arnt macros and money farmers in wow... i think there are even more then in runescape (money farmers)

runeminermb1.gif

^^ click my sig for my lesser ranging guide ^^

jwrm22: 4816th > 99 cooking 100% f2p !1172 total! + 140mil in items.

i dont play anymore... i think rs is ruined

believe it or not, almost every single person that know that plays WOW got bored at one point and quited (like 5 people).

But still I know a lot people that play runescape for years and aren't bored yet.

krikke321.png

Computers will never be above humans because we made them.

That's what monkeys used to say about us.