Monopoly question

TheChamp

Learn something new every day :D

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Why can building 4 houses on a property be better than a hotel?

I have to answer that question in 1-3 pages. But I have no idea how it can be better. If anybody has any ideas it will be greatly appreciated.

Since this is for algebra & not business I'm going to think out of the box.

I reckon 3 houses (as words) are more valuable points wise, in scrabble than the word hotel would be.

It's a weird one & probably completely wrong or irrelevant but I gave it a shot...

wild_bunch.gif

He who learns must suffer, and, even in our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart,

and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.

- Aeschylus (525 BC - 456 BC)

YOu have to write that while I write a 15 page paper on Confucius?

Yours is actually probably harder though... :D

Just take into consideration the...

-Price it costs to buy

-Price you get when someone lands on that square.

I don't feel like getting my monopoly set out, go get yours and do the math.

(I think everything in my post is correct...Might not...)

doublesmileyface1.png

Cenin pân nîd, istan pân nîd, dan nin ú-cenich, nin ú-istach.

Ithil luin eria vi menel caran...Tîn dan delu.

Hotels are always better than 4 houses. Hotels are really just 5 houses, but if you land on the community chest or chance and get a "repair costs" card, a hotel costs less than 4 houses, so you are better off that way.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

Thats a somewhat confusing question, but it is fiendishly hard when you think about it. Take these factors into account:

The price comparison between hotels and 4 houses.

The property upkeep card (and the chances of it coming up)

The number of squares on the board, and the chances of landing on a certain square (Some are more likely than others)

The variable number of players.

Grouping of hotels or spacing them out over the board (remember, you have to own the entire group first)

And many others. Good luck.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

-They seem less menacing and thus giving the person a higher chance to subconsciously roll a number that lands him or her onto your housing square

I wouldn't dare to put that argument in an Algebra assignment :P

Fight the odds and construct as many houses as possibly all around the map. Best way to earn something... If you construct everything on 1 or 2 streets you may never earn anything if the dice doesn't favor you and everybody just walks past.

If you build 4 houses, 1 every 2nd street, then a person walking past 8 streets on the board has an approximately 50% chance of having to pay you.

If you build a hotel which earns you more but comes in a low quantity (1), a person walking past 4 streets has a 25% chance of having to pay you something.

Therefore building hotels is just a piece of entertainment in Monopoly, not to be taken as a real way to win the game (unless you can build lots of hotels which you probably can't). Try working on that if you can make it to 1-3 pages...

This has nothing to do with algebra. This is why I hated school. Some teachers make you do random-assed assignments that serve no purpose in life.

In real life, building a damn hotel would return more profit than 4 houses anyways, so screw Monopoly. That guy with the monicle is a dork.

The popularity of any given religion today depends on the victories of the wars they fought in the past.

- Me!

This has nothing to do with algebra. This is why I hated school. Some teachers make you do random-assed assignments that serve no purpose in life.

In real life, building a damn hotel would return more profit than 4 houses anyways, so screw Monopoly. That guy with the monicle is a dork.

So you're basically saying thinking logically has nothing to do with math? You're dumber than I thought :P

smithie3.jpg

I just posted something! ^_^ to the terrorist...er... kirbybeam.

-They seem less menacing and thus giving the person a higher chance to subconsciously roll a number that lands him or her onto your housing square

Fight the odds and construct as many houses as possibly all around the map. Best way to earn something... If you construct everything on 1 or 2 streets you may never earn anything if the dice doesn't favor you and everybody just walks past.

If you build 4 houses, 1 every 2nd street, then a person walking past 8 streets on the board has an approximately 50% chance of having to pay you.

If you build a hotel which earns you more but comes in a low quantity (1), a person walking past 4 streets has a 25% chance of having to pay you something.

Therefore building hotels is just a piece of entertainment in Monopoly, not to be taken as a real way to win the game (unless you can build lots of hotels which you probably can't). Try working on that if you can make it to 1-3 pages...

Well that makes sense, but I don't think it answers this particular question. The question is having four houses on one property vs. having a hotel on one property. It doesn't make sense to me, since a hotel would be better.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

That would work, except you have to build up your property evenly.(which means you have to be building up a minimum of 2 and that's only if you own mediteranean/baltic or boardwalk/park place)

I think there are 10 squares on each side so:

4 sides * 10 = 40 squares.

If (most) amount of spaces moved per turn (no doubles) = 12

then find average move amount

2+3+4+5+6+7+8+9+10+11+12

12/11=7

7= average move amount.

40/7= 5.71

Basically there is a 7/40 chance for your opponent to land on that square in a two person game

approximately (rounding) 6 moves per revolution.

If price of apartment = 200 ea

then 4*200=800 $ to make 4 appartments.

for hotel it's 5*200=1000.

According to my calculations, once every 6 revolutions will they land on your spot.

Hypothetically.

So If you can make the argument that if you spend that extra 200 on another apartment somewhere, or a train then you can make more money every 6 revolutions then you would with a tower on a certain square.

Wow. That's probably wrong but it's just a basic Idea.

flobotst.jpg

Hegemony-Spain

Can you explain how this deals with Algebra? I took it last year and had no assignment about anything like that. :uhh:

If he could explain, he wouldn't be asking :P

I understand - that he doesn't understand why :P.

I'm wondering how this fits into an Algebra course? And 1-3 pages sounds harsh.