A (Semi-)Legal Question for Y'all

Errdoth

In public school it would be a stretch to punish you for out-of-school activities.

Private schools aren't government run institutions, so don't expect any slack. The administration's word is law.

But the thing is, this teacher is the only one who complained. The teacher who asigned the project even posted a comment on the video itself. Ah, well, we'll just have to wait and see...

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In public school it would be a stretch to punish you for out-of-school activities.

Private schools aren't government run institutions, so don't expect any slack. The administration's word is law.

I have seen kids get expelled for drinking at a party outside of schoo. There was a college in Kentucky(IIRC) that had a celibacy rule(for any and everywhere). There was a school in California(Also IIRC) that banned their students from going onto MySpace

That's probably my school. Some kid got a detention for a comment on his myspace, that had absolutely nothing to do with the school, but said something about drinking and stuff. Ah, well, one more year and I'm outta there.

I got a detention for having a myspace (with a lot of other people). They demanded it be taken down immediately or suspension. When I mean a lot of people, like 50.

It wasn't for me mentioning the school, drugs, drinking, bullying ect. (which I didn't do) it was just for having one.

I go to a public school now so my Myspace is not a problem anymore =D> . (this was in a private school in 8th grade)

goldenblade995.png

She wasnt involved with it, and you did it outside school on a public site.

If anything id walk by the teacher every day and talk slightly louder than I usually would, just so she hears, and say somethin like "Man, that video was awesome, im so glad i put it on youtube"

because she cant do anything, if she gives you a detention, there are organizations out there for student who are punished unjustly. I had a friend who got suspended for a week for throwing pudding at a kid who called him a derogatory name. The one who said the name wasnt given any form of punishment, so my friend looked up the orginazation and contacted them, and they sent a letter to the school that told them off. By the time all was said and done the week was already up, but my friend was given an apology letter, and a personal apology.

He framed the letter and it still hangs in his room lol

ill ask him about it and post back if you get in trouble.

coolio0wjos1.jpg

My WoW character, gnome warlock Saldomar

Just say "hey, sorry" and take it down. That'll probably help a lot more than fighting it.

Why she he take it down, he didn't do anything wrong.

It's clear the teacher's at fault, she needs to understand that.

Just say "hey, sorry" and take it down. That'll probably help a lot more than fighting it.

The point of the matter is, it appears the teacher has not provided any justification for her reaction.

The thread creator has already asked the teacher in charge as well as the parents of the concerned students and they've all consented.

Personally, I think you should contest this situation - provided you aren't breaking any school rules - and reveal just exactly what inane reasoning is behind your teacher's 'censoring'.

Apologising when you're not at fault = not cool.

I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."

I don't really feel like blowing up the schools ego to that of some type of lesser god. I would like to have a life that isn't governed by some teacher in some school. I'm off to school right now, see you all when I get back. (Pray for no detention :pray: )

No Heck no.....this is total BS from what you guys have said...they would have to suspend me all year then...cause i sure as heck wouldnt take my myspace down or nothing...the only people that govern you out side of school is You and your Parents....the only time you could get suspended from school on myspace is a Fin Bomb threat to your school...other wise..no...Kid you have done nothing wrong...your teacher is being a hard@55 for some strange reason...she is not aloud to govern you out side of school...*unless its illegal activity and they can prove you did it* what you do on your free time is your business...and anything you do on the internet is your business..give me your teachers number and ill give her a nasty talk..in your defense..you have done nothing wrong....and i gaurente your hand book says nothing about this...because mine doesnt..and it really has no reason to in the 7th grade..

You teacher should understand your level of maturity..which is shown a lot on this thread...

heartless619.png

IGNORE THESE FOUR WORDS

banneruh3.jpg

Well, I avoided her all day, and, so long as she doesn't come to my door, I'm safe. Someone who was talking to her said she asked if they knew where I and friends were, because she needed to schedule a parent conference. Lol, my mom just said she wouldn't go for something that stupid.

This really has nothing to do with this, but my friend George (questionable sexuallity) is always running up to us and saying "I'm Lucy Liu, (feamale dog)!" as a joke. So my other friend has the brillient idea of us reenacting Charlie's Angels with paper masks over our faces, and making complete idiots of ourselves. The only problem? She wants to put it on YouTube, which I doubt my parents would approve of. I don't even think they'd approve of me going on forums, like this. (He he...) :-w But how are they going to find out, unless it gets popular like the Numa Numa guy.... :thumbsup:

souryw6.png

When you do things like that it's always a good idea to get it in writing. Get them to sign their names first and last, followed by a signature. It will cover your arse in the real world in years to come, especially from nasty little things like law suits and teachers giving you detention. On the top of the written document should be the details in which they're signing for.

E.g. I acknowledge and give permission to be on video as well as being broadcasted on youtube.com. Parental permission has been asked for all students under (put your countries legal consent age). Below are both pupil and parental/guardian acceptance.

This can also be made for people who borrow large amounts of money from you etc so that if they do not pay you back, it is a legal document and you can take it to court. Perhaps you rent a house one day and write terms, conditions, bond and rent in a document. So many things this can apply for and it will save your arse every time.

When people sign, always have 1 or 2 witnesses.

Good luck, learn from your mistakes and move forward. Approach it better next time around.

igoddessIsig.png

The only people who tell you that you can't do something are those who have already given up on their own dreams so feel the need to discourage yours.

I have seen kids get expelled for drinking at a party outside of schoo. There was a college in Kentucky(IIRC) that had a celibacy rule(for any and everywhere). There was a school in California(Also IIRC) that banned their students from going onto MySpace

What the hell? When did the Nazi party take over :-s

If it's the principle of the matter you're interested in just take the detention (you'll live) and leave the video up. Show her you won't back down.

I do not love thee, Dr. Fell,

The reason why I cannot tell;

But this I know, and know full well,

I do not love thee, Dr. Fell.

I go to private school as well (though I am not taught by nuns), and I happen to be in 7th grade as well. I really hate the regulations. honestly I don't see whats the prob in making your own vid. If you and your friends take the trouble of doing your homework in perhaps the most creative form of report, then go to the trouble of putting it up on youtube, I think you deserve to do so. I see nothing wrong.

Use this thread as a petition to prevent you from being punished!

[hide=]

tip it would pay me $500.00 to keep my clothes ON :( :lol:
But then again, you fail to realize that 101% of the people in this universe hate you. Yes, humankind's hatred against you goes beyond mathematical possibilities.
That tears it. I'm starting an animal rebellion using my mind powers. Those PETA bastards will never see it coming until the porcupines are half way up their asses.
[/hide]

montageo.png

Apparently a lot of people say it. I own.

http://linkagg.com/ Not my site, but a simple, budding site that links often unheard-of websites that are amazing for usefulness and fun.

I already mentioned it in our "open forum" digression in literature class. Somone brought it up, and we got into a big discussion. I don't want to take the DT, because I will be kicked of as student government president if I get it. That would suck, I worked hard for that. :(

Have you attempted to engage any of the authorities in actual discussion and made them give a valid reason why you deserve a detention? See, whenever a school gets BS-headed about something like this, I ask why, and ask for a good, justified reason. If they say something along the lines of, "Don't ask questions, that's defiance", I point to the student guidebook, which guarantees "the right to ask questions in an open learning environment". Usually, they can't give me a reason, and get pissed and make me sit outside or give me detentions/referrals, yelling that if I "keep this up it's going to be doubled, young man". Which is their way of saying, "Crap, I lost that argument."

sig2.jpg

I haven't read the whole thread so forgive me if this has already been brought up. But when you create a project for school the school then owns the copyright of it. If you created a video and uploaded it to youtube then you are violating copyright even though all of you that were in it gave permission.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

I haven't read the whole thread so forgive me if this has already been brought up. But when you create a project for school the school then owns the copyright of it. If you created a video and uploaded it to youtube then you are violating copyright even though all of you that were in it gave permission.

I daresay, I don't think public schools can hold copyrights because that would mean your project is owned by the government, in any case I think the project would be under the ownership of the teacher who assigned the project.

I don't think it would be violating copyright to allow others to view it, after all, that is the purpose of a film. It's not like anyone would enforce it anyway.

I daresay, I don't think public schools can hold copyrights because that would mean your project is owned by the government, in any case I think the project would be under the ownership of the teacher who assigned the project.

I don't think it would be violating copyright to allow others to view it, after all, that is the purpose of a film. It's not like anyone would enforce it anyway.

Yea this isnt copyrighted by the school...they havent gotten it a certificate or w.e you need to even get it copy righted..and yes it would belong to the teacher that assigned the project not some random teacher that doesn't want it up..

altho i can see why she wouldn't want it up...but still your freedom of speech is in jeopardy here..and you must defend it...have your parents ge involved...lol id have m parents cuss her out...

becvause you cant be given a detention just cause you wont take something down..that was put up on YOUR FREE TIME. tell her to give me a call and look at this thread..ill tell her off and i gaurentee she wont win..and tell her i said that...

heartless619.png

IGNORE THESE FOUR WORDS

banneruh3.jpg