Day 6: Malaria, Killer of Men

trapical

I visited Sierra Leone, Guniea, Guinea-Bissau, Ghana, Togo, Cote D'lvoire, Niger, Nigeria, Burkina Faso, Senegal, Gambia, Gabon, CAR, DROC, Cameroon, Congo, Equatorial Guinea, Sao Tome & Principe, Mali, Mauritania, and Angola on a tip to Africa I took with some buddy's in 2005 and what we had to do, the medication we had to recieve, and what we saw left an ever lasting impression on us, and this was all Malaria based. It changed my life completely, and I've donated over $500 to the cause.

I met some great people while I was there, but now they could be dead. :( :cry:

Kind of off topic, bot not really, did you know that people with cycle cell anemia are imune to malaria? The shape of the cycle cells prevent malaria from taking effect, preventing the disease altogether. That is why more African Americans get CCA than any other nationality. Because it is more common there.

On topic, good article. I knew about the disease, I just did not know it was that widespread around the world. :(

I know it's a small thing and sorry for being pedantic but it's 'sickle cell anemia', not 'cycle cell anemia'.

Anyway it's good to see you bringing up such a devestating disease, Trapical. I wasn't totally aware how cheap the medicine was. It's promising at least. Anyway it leavs me schratching my head when I look around at the world and see company CEOs riding around on multimillion dollar luxury boats, jets, helicopters or in thier rediculously oversized and lavish mansions when at the polar opposite of the dichotomy there's people dieing because they dont have a dollar or access to a chemist 20km's down the road because of thier severe weakness and as a result thier existance and life expectancy is woefully below thier potential. When I get my own crap together I'll end up donating.

Makes perfect sense. If I remember correctly, Bill Gates is giving a large portion of his money to malaria research. Just one question : how did industrialized countries like the U.S and Europe get rid of malaria? I know it was long before the drugs were out.

Makes perfect sense. If I remember correctly, Bill Gates is giving a large portion of his money to malaria research. Just one question : how did industrialized countries like the U.S and Europe get rid of malaria? I know it was long before the drugs were out.

They used DDT to temporarily kill all the mosquitoes. No mosquitoes = no Malaria. But in the ultimate example of hypocrisy, afterwards those same counties refused to give DDT to African countries since they "didn't know if it caused cancer" and also said that "it can harm local wild-life". :roll:

The politics behind it are just as bad as the disease itself

2003676992682512083_rs.jpg

Well you can't just blame the common person for deciding "Hey, I'll donate to AIDS instead of malaria because then I have a less chance of getting a disease/virus". You see companies and government organizations everywhere advertising to donate for AIDS, while things like malaria don't get as much spotlight and less people know about it.

Anyway, that was a good read, and I'm looking forward to the next 4.

I've for so long wanted to set up a fund to buy mosquito nets for Afrikan families. At $10 a net, you could save 200,000 Afrikan families for a measly 2 million.

Since what my cousin saw on his trip to The Gambia and Senegal, I've been on the lookout for funds like these, and have made it one of my lives goals to participate in stopping Malaria.

BTW know any credible funds that do this?

Victor, I'm happy to say I do know one. I don't know the name, but it was in an article of Rick Reilly's a while ago. He is a Sports Illustrated writer, but his subjects are not always having to do with sports. There is some connection, like an athlete helping fund these. He set up a fund to buy nets so that mosquitoes will not bite children and adults at night. Look around the Sport Illustrated site for it, or I can go check my magazines if you can't find it. Just tell me when you find it (or don't).

In Soviet Russia, glass eats OTers.

Alansson Alansson, woo woo woo!

Pink owns yes, just like you!

GOOOOOOOOOO ALAN! WOO!

• 6 months later...

Guys I've had a idea to raise over 500ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã But ill need a wholesaler info

you know them BAnds what go round ur wrist like the stop racist one buy nike and stuff?

they were popualer 1year ago there was like 500ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã floating around in skwl In cash and 250ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã in rubberthingys

People were selling them 6x of what they were buying them meaning if i CHOULD get 500 of them for say 50pound i chould easiley sell for 500ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã

which 450ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã whould go to the chairtys

you know them BAnds what go round ur wrist like the stop racist one buy nike and stuff?

they were popualer 1year ago there was like 500ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã floating around in skwl In cash and 250ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã in rubberthingys

People were selling them 6x of what they were buying them meaning if i CHOULD get 500 of them for say 50pound i chould easiley sell for 500ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã

Nice bump.

And why would we trust you with that much money, a chicken feather with less then 30 posts who we don't know at all, when we could just do it with someone like Nadril or Trapical or Misplacedme, and actually believe that some money would go to charity. That's pointless anyway, ripping people off for charity.

I doubt that it will be less than 50ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã, but I know a supplier that sells them.

Their MOQ(minimum order quantity) is $1000, and you will have to contact them directly to get a quote.

Two models I think you will be interested in.

http://www.flyhorse.biz/www/list.asp?id=553

http://www.flyhorse.biz/www/list.asp?id=557

Both can be branded however you like, and they will do the colour you want.

I can also guarentee the authenticity of the company. I've dealt with them before.

~M

You are absolutely right.

Though this is not an excuse, people find it easier to donate to charities that will support AIDS relief because, just like you said, AIDS is more common than Malaria in established countries. Because of this, people find it easier to relate to those that have AIDS. Whether they have a family member, or friend who has AIDS, or has simply known someone who died from the disease. They find that it hits close to home and are more informed about it. I'm sure that more people would donate to Malaria funds if they were more informed about it, especially when it comes to medication costs.

Could I get some charity names, if you know of any? :D

That is just like celebrities. they only donate to what affects them, in fact, last week i saw a commercial with some celebrity who's name I forget who said, "Ever since my mother died of breast cancer, i have supported...". Notice the "after my mother died" :notalk: I bet she never even thought about donating to something else.

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

I read somehwere that over 4 million people die of AIDS a year so I think it is about prioritising the funds, as many more people die of AIDS than Malaria. While Malaria is a rolling progress as we already have the cure, more money should be invested into something we cannot cure like AIDS as in the long run that is what is going to claim the most lives.

I know a cure...

Zip up your pants and have some morals...

I read somehwere that over 4 million people die of AIDS a year so I think it is about prioritising the funds, as many more people die of AIDS than Malaria. While Malaria is a rolling progress as we already have the cure, more money should be invested into something we cannot cure like AIDS as in the long run that is what is going to claim the most lives.

I know a cure...

:XD: =D>

Shamuuu.png

Listen to the mighty words of Bloodredsword.

Tip it MGC Xbox live leader board!

Doesn't http://www.NothingButNets.net deal with malaria? I saw a commercial for it the other day... and at our school we did some auction thing for it... :)

I'm a thinker but am often short of words sorry if my posts are shorter than expected...

OMG I cant wait for the cleaning skill!

Congratz, You are now level 99 cleaning, you can clean rust stains with all new Extra Strength CLR!

Just one question : how did industrialized countries like the U.S and Europe get rid of malaria? I know it was long before the drugs were out.

They never did... It's just that the large mosquitos that carry Malaria and other insect-borne diseases don't really live in cooler climates like Europe. The problem has been limited to Sicily/Greece/extreme southern parts of Europe, since the mosquitos can fly over the ocean.

I don't think USA has ever even had a malaria outbreak, mosquitoes can't fly over the Atlantic. It can theoretically only enter the country by tourists carrying it (or somehow having infected mosquitos/mosquito eggs in their luggage)

Not just that, but malaria medicine is dirt cheap, it's sad how people die to an easily preventable disease:

malariamedicineqw5.png

That's just some british retailer too; You can get stronger anti-malaria medicine as well produced in China/India with the same chemical makeup & ingredients for a fraction of that price, some $0.20 for 20 pills.

AIDS may not be curable yet, but world government's should be ashamed they aren't donating a relatively small sum for the distribution of malaria medicine to every poor person in the world who needs it.

Travel, transport, medicine & other costs combined, curing the whole world of malaria would still cost less than a % of the money USA spends on wars and weapons every year.

I know a cure...

Ok, I really hope you were being sarcastic...

-What about the many children that are infected through their mothers?

-What about the stigma against condoms being held up by the Catholic church in Africa despite the mountains of evidence that they're basically the most effective AIDS prevention tool?

-What about countries like South Africa where men who believe that sex with a virgin cures AIDS infect thousands of young women against their will each year?

-What about the thousands of people that get infected in medical facilities due to lack of access of even the most basic forms of disinfection?

I saw Trapicals thread and thought he'd posted his yearly treat :( Ah well, its gotta be soon :D

OT: I didn't realise that malaria was so easy to treat or such a serious problem. I think, as AIDS is more likely to affect the people with the money (aka the West), a lot of people will still be selfish (as selfish as donating to charity can be) and donate to AIDS research instead.

ragenori9bosq4.gif

Thanks Venomai for this super sig and Kwimbob for the awesome avatar!