Should all NPC's require a moderate slayer level? *Revised*

Sly_Wizard

What I'm tired of seeing is this:

wrongza0.png

Yes. That's a level 69. Casting air strike. Against a black dragon. Preventing anyone else from killing it.

Plainly put, BS like this shouldn't ever happen.

The problem with Runescape is that just about anyone can grab a hally or arrows or runes and proceed to (Attempt would be the more operative word) kill any NPC they desire. This, in effect, gives lower levels the illusion that they're much stronger than they really are. Furthermore, when a place becomes crowded (Such as dragons have since the visage updates), people such as this put a tremendous strain on everyone else and cause tempers to flare (As seen in the picture).

Yes, I realize that there are other worlds but should I have to constantly world hop because someone is attempting something they have no business doing in the first place? No, I shouldn't. I also fully expect someone to come in and say "They pay so they deserve a chance to kill any NPC!". While, yes, this is true that they should be allowed to attempt to kill any NPC they want, they shouldn't be able to mindlessly attack the same NPC for 30, 40 and even 50 minutes because they're too weak to inflict any real damage on it. It's not fair to me and it's not fair to anyone else who actually has the adequate levels to kill the NPC.

Therefore, with that being said, I believe Jagex should do either one of two things:

1.) Stick a slayer requirement on all NPC's (Nothing obscene. Simply something which would adequately reflect one's own combat prowess in relation to the NPC in question). If you don't have the level, then you won't be able to attack it; Period. Or

2.) Give ALL monsters some sort of range/magic attack that can't be protected.

Personally, I'd prefer option one.

Now, I know that this might make me sound like a selfish high level snob, but some people seriously shouldn't be doing the things they're allowed to do. There's no other MMORPG (That I know of) which allows for such a glaring loophole to be exploited at will.

Thoughts? Comments? Flames? Come on... I know you want to ::'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Upon further thought, I realized that adding a slayer requirement to every NPC would cause much more harm then good by arbitrarily excluding people from killing NPC's of their choice (Not to mention cause Jagex a ton of headaches). Therefore, I came up with a different solution.

There should be a 3 minute timer installed on all non-multi combat, non-human NPC's (If you can't kill an NPC in under 3 minutes, then you're seriously out of your league). That is, you get 3 minutes of combat time to kill an NPC. after which time you'd get a message which would say; "You seem to be unable to inflict any damage on this creature. You decide to try again when you are stronger." From that point on you would be unable to attack any NPC of the same type for at least ten minutes.

Under this system anyone could attack any NPC, but not being able to kill it in a decent time would prevent you from further attacking it and wasting everyone else's time.

How is this a 'weak' rant?

You train to become stronger and to be able to do more. I wouldn't mind lower levels being able to attack a monster much stronger than their own selves if there was some sort of risk associated with it. However, there isn't (In 99% of cases) and they can attack an NPC for an indefinite amount of time thus preventing anyone else from doing so. Therefore, they either need to be prevented from trying to engage in combat with the NPC in the first place or there needs to be a risk factor associated with that action.

Right now, I could create a new account, have a friend give me a bronze halberd and proceed to attack black dragons to my heart's content. Fair? Not at all. It's an oversight which should be corrected one way or another.

I think your rant has its good points, and I agree with you on option 1, not on option 2.. at all. I agree for a black dragon you should have a slayer level of something mediocre like 50, or so. But I don't think *every* npc needs a slayer level, just a few of the higher level ones.

4455.jpg

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Oscar Wilde

maybe 45 for certain 100-150(ex, blue through bronze drags) , 55 for 200+... or would that be too low?

although on blue dragons it would help curb the gold farmer problem

but for the black dragons, that's pathetic, 30 minutes to a kill? it never even took me that long at his level...

I think he was either ignorant of the magic defence of dragons or training magic by knowing he would fail every spell and gain exp. :idea:

4455.jpg

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Oscar Wilde

This is a nice idea on paper, but there's two major flaws here. The first is what's stopping such people training to that slayer level and then continuing to be a nuisance?

The second is the practicality of it all. There's some 700+ monsters in RS, can Jagex seriously be bothered to go through every single one of them and slap a slayer requirement on them, especially when, as mentioned in the previous point, it wouldn't have much of a desired effect anyway?

One advantage I do see in this is a much easier way to train slayer, which has been long needed.

This is a nice idea on paper, but there's two major flaws here. The first is what's stopping such people training to that slayer level and then continuing to be a nuisance?

The second is the practicality of it all. There's some 700+ monsters in RS, can Jagex seriously be bothered to go through every single one of them and slap a slayer requirement on them, especially when, as mentioned in the previous point, it wouldn't have much of a desired effect anyway?

One advantage I do see in this is a much easier way to train slayer, which has been long needed.

Well i think one bonus is that because of the extra slayer training they would have to do before facing a certain monster it could make them stronger so they could kill it faster.

I agree on jagex shouldn't put it on all monsters nor should the requirements shouldn't be too high or slayer will completely dominate combat training which i don't think jagex wants *points to all training areas that aren't slayer related*.

gladz.png

Proud Retired Council of The Gladiatiorz

Click here for our website - 110+ F2P Combat Requirements

Well i think one bonus is that because of the extra slayer training they would have to do before facing a certain monster it could make them stronger so they could kill it faster.

I agree on jagex shouldn't put it on all monsters nor should the requirements shouldn't be too high or slayer will completely dominate combat training which i don't think jagex wants *points to all training areas that aren't slayer related*.

maybe if it was only done to the more dangerous monsters that could kill the average 70 in a matter of seconds, or monsters that you should really need to know exactly how to kill in order to kill it, creatures that the term 'slaying' applies to (ex. dragons, black demons). f2p monsters can also be taken off the list, for obvious reasons.

it should really only be for level 200+ monsters with good loot that need it, like those and metal dragons. and adding them to slayer gives them the potential for specialized drops

Give a noob their chance. Odds are, they'll be embarrassed and quit after the 1. :P I know you'll say that they won't give up, but I've been a lot like that 69 in trying to kill impossible things, but people like us usually just want to try to beat the best creatures in runescape once.

revan-1.gif

option 1:

a) slayer is p2p. F2p is needed blah blah blah.

B) It'll take too long then to train up to fight a monster such as a king black Dragon.

For example, your a member. Your goal is too kill a king black dragon. But your combat level is too low. Your slayer level is 1. Then this update comes out. now, he can't kill ANY monsters that would be worth training on. Training slayer would take too long. For a king black dragon needs a level 99 slayer to fight it. All your combat skills except prayer, which was 29, and hitpoints, which is 57, are level 60 exactly.

He would only play an hour a day. it would take far too long to get there.

option 2: This makes runescape too unrealistic. There are many creatures who have no possible realistic way of hurting you by using magic or range. This is just a bit of an unrealistic one I'm afraid.

option 3: I dislike this idea. The amount of time would have to vary between monsters. Try fighting the strongest monster. I doubt it really takes just 3 minutes to defeat him. And what about agressive monsters? They will attack you, but you won't fight back? ridiculous.

Soryy I just disagree.

option 3: I dislike this idea. The amount of time would have to vary between monsters. Try fighting the strongest monster. I doubt it really takes just 3 minutes to defeat him. And what about agressive monsters? They will attack you, but you won't fight back? ridiculous.

Soryy I just disagree.

I can kill anything besides all the boss monsters and steel dragons in under 3 minutes even steels would take me under 5, and this rule need not apply for kbd, dag kings, chaos elemental or kalphite queen, as they destroy any noobs that mess with them.

You know what? I'm tired of people playing on the internet trying to have fun. You think people should have to play the game nonstop just to have fun and be challenged?

Since you get that mad over someone trying to play a game just like you are, then you need to take dive into reality, and start playing games for entertainment. Not something to escape life. Thats what your post is telling me. A selfish post, a very selfish one indeed. So what if someone is attacking a monster? Wait until they are done, or switch worlds. Since you don't have the patience to wait, then I guess you should learn some.

You know what? I'm tired of people playing on the internet trying to have fun. You think people should have to play the game nonstop just to have fun and be challenged?

Since you get that mad over someone trying to play a game just like you are, then you need to take dive into reality, and start playing games for entertainment. Not something to escape life. Thats what your post is telling me. A selfish post, a very selfish one indeed. So what if someone is attacking a monster? Wait until they are done, or switch worlds. Since you don't have the patience to wait, then I guess you should learn some.

Your being a moron peter.. Ill explain it so you can understand, right now there is a lvl 30-80 on every world trying to kill black dragons and taking 10 minutes - the rest of their lives per kill.

This is not fair to players who actually have a point to being there and can actually gain worthwhile xp there.

There is 700 monsters on runescape only about 40 of these are high lvl..

The low lvl noobs clog up all the high lvl spots hoping for an insanely rare drop that will most likely take them the rest of their human life spans to achive.

Get off your high horse and realise that on runescape not every one is equal, there are combat lvls for a reason, and a lvl 220 dragon does not deserve an undignified slow and likely painful death by wind blast over a 40 year span.

The fact of the matter is if you can't kill a single NPC in a non-combat area in under 3 minutes (Which is more than enough time for anyone of a reasonable level) then you shouldn't be trying to kill it at all.

So what if someone is attacking a monster? Well, Peter, can you name me any game in which a low level can attack a high level NPC for hours on end without the risk of dying, therefore preventing anyone else from killing it? Well, can you?

...No? I didn't think so. Imagine that.

Call me selfish or snobbish or whatever-- I don't care. I shouldn't have to wait 10 to 20 minutes for someone to kill 1 NPC because their levels are too low to inflict any real damage to it. Surely you can agree that if someone takes longer than 3 minutes to kill 1 NPC that they are out of their league. Therefore, what's the problem with making sure that these people can't take away from the people who've actually earned the levels to be there?

So what if someone is attacking a monster? Well, Peter, can you name me any game in which a low level can attack a high level NPC for hours on end without the risk of dying, therefore preventing anyone else from killing it? Well, can you?

...No? I didn't think so. Imagine that.

Call me selfish or snobbish or whatever-- I don't care. I shouldn't have to wait 10 to 20 minutes for someone to kill 1 NPC because their levels are too low to inflict any real damage to it. Surely you can agree that if someone takes longer than 3 minutes to kill 1 NPC that they are out of their league. Therefore, what's the problem with making sure that these people can't take away from the people who've actually earned the levels to be there?

Is it really that bad that something like this would be necesary?

Unless they're literally on every world I don't think this constitutes a problem.

When I was a lower level I liked to do stupid stuff too...it was what kept me playing.

Hell, I still[/i] do stupid stuff sometimes. :P

The fact of the matter is if you can't kill a single NPC in a non-combat area in under 3 minutes (Which is more than enough time for anyone of a reasonable level) then you shouldn't be trying to kill it at all.

I would get pissed if my character ran away after playing snare-tag with Damis for only 3 minutes. Especially if I was winning. Think things through a bit more next time.

I would get pissed if my character ran away after playing snare-tag with Damis for only 3 minutes. Especially if I was winning. Think things through a bit more next time.

How about you think things through..

Damis is a quest monster, hence no one would be competing with you for his kill, hence there would be no limit. :?

i agree people with 50 range blue dragonhide mage short and bronze arrows shouldnt be able to attack monsters for hrs on end and same with low level mage spells or low level hally.

i agree with the 3 minute limit thing rather than the slayer level thing because yah you can try to kill the monster then find out your not strong enough but this should only apply to level 100+ monsters.

StarViv.png