Ads in posts? UPDATE: Ad system reverted back to original

Look:

1) get rid of this new ad system. not only it's pretty annoying (i'm quite nuanced in this one) it also SLOWS DOWN terribly my forum loading speed, selfish? Yeah, I don't like it i have to wait over 10 seconds every page because the stupid ads have to load

2) ads are needed to keep the site running bla bla bla... respect for that but honestly I havn't seen any attempt yet to even try to give users who are over 18 of age to donate money to keep it adfree. Why would it be a problem? The people who complain about it won't be such a big loss for tip it if they leave over that

3) above poster (killerred005) is right. I don't like it when I type a post, and suddenly the world "fashion" (for example) suddenly lights up green like hell. I don't like it, and I don't think anybody does.

signature4s.jpg

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as i don't like the hyper linked adverts you cant use the argument that it slows down the loading of the page because it does not. The script that converts words to ad links runs AFTER the page has loaded. The script downloads only once and loads into cache so the only extra time is the second it takes for a word to be highlighted only once the page has been completely loaded.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

1) get rid of this new ad system. not only it's pretty annoying (i'm quite nuanced in this one) it also SLOWS DOWN terribly my forum loading speed, selfish? Yeah, I don't like it i have to wait over 10 seconds every page because the stupid ads have to load

Selfish? How is tip.it selfish? It's their server, their forum and their bandwidth. If you don't like how they go about trying to pay for it, find another forum to use. People complained that that ads were bad before hand, so they are working on new solutions.

2) ads are needed to keep the site running bla bla bla... respect for that but honestly I havn't seen any attempt yet to even try to give users who are over 18 of age to donate money to keep it adfree. Why would it be a problem? The people who complain about it won't be such a big loss for tip it if they leave over that

donateed5.png

Yep, no effort. That Paypal button is just there for looks. Give me a freaking break. It's been there for years, yet the ads are still needed to keep the site running.

I suggest that the next Tip.It poll be this:

Would you be prepared to pay $1 a month as a registration fee to use Tip.It?

(Or whatever fee it is deemed necessary to pay for the running of the site without advertising).

Let those of us who, let's be honest, probably couldn't play the *game (* edited in to remove said pop-up) nearly half as well as we do without Tip.It and who don't want to see these adverts, put our money where our mouth is.

Then having eliminated the 70% or so who put their mouth where their money should be (those that vote 'Yes' but when push comes to wallet, decline), if Tip.It feels it could run the site that way, give it a go.

P.S. Oh and by the way, I absolutely would pay $1 (or more) a month for Tip.It. Let's face it $5 a month for Runescape is ludicrously cheap to start with.

P.P.S. Honestly, I really think the LEAST you could do is remove the pop-ups from a thread that is arguing against the them. (At least that would save us the trouble of doing it ourselves).

Why is 'common sense' so named, when there is so little of it about?

Welcome to puberty, we've been expecting you.

newsighq9.jpg

I don't get any ads. Just get Adblock Plus, a addon for firefox that blocks ALL advertising.
Immoral though. Of course one might also argue that turning other peoples text into advertising links is also immoral.

Neither is immoral IMHO. My browser, I decide what content I want to see in it. Tip.it's site, they decide how to present any content I might contribute to it.

As far as I'm concerned, making tip.it forums subscription only would greatly increase the quality of the site.

siganizq4.gif

I'm not involved with the ads and what gets put in place so this is coming from me as a user. The green text is a minor annoyance but I'm acclimating to it after a day or two. It's honestly no more annoying than the National Lampoon's ad that I constantly saw before. At least the banner ads now don't feature RS gold selling, which was the main motivating factor in changing the ads.

abyssalwhipwu8.png

Abyssalwhip's posts are appearing in my advertisements....I think I need to go back to blocking ads.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

I'm not involved with the ads and what gets put in place so this is coming from me as a user. The green text is a minor annoyance but I'm acclimating to it after a day or two. It's honestly no more annoying than the National Lampoon's ad that I constantly saw before. At least the banner ads now don't feature RS gold selling, which was the main motivating factor in changing the ads.

abyssalwhipwu8.png

Abyssalwhip's posts are appearing in my advertisements....I think I need to go back to blocking ads.

Because a Abyssal whip is a Runescape item, and thats how the ads work.

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

8,325th to 99 Firemaking 3/9/08 | 44,811th to 99 Cooking 7/16/08

4,968th to 99 Farming 10/9/09 | Runescaper August 2005-March 2010

Tip.it Mod Feb. 2008-Sep. 2008 | Tip.it Crew Sep. 2008-Nov. 2009

The new advertisement system has definitely slowed my forum loading time.

On occasion for some reason, topics are opening when I move my mouse over a forum when trying to scroll down. The ad windows that pop up when I move my mouse over the green advertisment text is also very annoying.

Sometimes when I go into a forum, the option to select a topic is unavailable and have to return to the previous page and reload it.

Reading the forums has become painful in my opinion, I know the Runescape Gold ads were not acceptible, but this is way worse than ever before.

shey.png

Just had to say this...

As me and tripsis said before, our Apple Safari browser doesn't get these ads in the posts, or pop-ups, even with the blocker turned off.

So, I want all you Windows XP and Vista users to try the new Safari Beta for Windows and see if you still get these ads. Should be interesting.

NOTE: you don't have to enter your E-mail to download it, just uncheck the "receive newsletters" box and download. Enjoy!

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

8,325th to 99 Firemaking 3/9/08 | 44,811th to 99 Cooking 7/16/08

4,968th to 99 Farming 10/9/09 | Runescaper August 2005-March 2010

Tip.it Mod Feb. 2008-Sep. 2008 | Tip.it Crew Sep. 2008-Nov. 2009

Wether you think of it like this or not, the truth is, alot of sites are funded by ads. And a good cut of those sites have owners who get paid mainly from their ad payments. If you were being payed 50cents or more for somebody clicking an ad, you would put them everywhere on your site. Do not lie to yourself, you know you would

Proud Italian

Proud Java Coder

[Admin Edit: Jagex rule violation]

guess why i hate runehq... the pages take too darn long to load. im about ti leave tip.it for that reason, even though i have yet to see one of these ads

Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.

Besides, these new ads appear rather infrequently (as you attempted to point out) and are usually only 1 or 2 per page. As stated, these ads are working on a trial basis and if enough complaints are made about them (won't make any guarantees on this), the person who works with our Advertisements may attempt to do something to fix it.

I found 4 green underlined ads in a single post of mine about an hour ago. I counted the ads in the particular topic and counted 25 ads together on the first page of the topic. This is overkill. They are annoying to me, if you move your mouse over it without realising the pop up window blocks the text you are reading.

I do not want to have to download yet another addware blocker onto my computer, I already have 2 running (which doesnt stop this from happening). That will just slow my computer down more and put more rubbish onto my computer.

shey.png

Ads are needed to keep the site running bla bla bla... respect for that but honestly I havn't seen any attempt yet to even try to give users who are over 18 of age to donate money to keep it adfree. Why would it be a problem? The people who complain about it won't be such a big loss for tip it if they leave over that

donateed5.png

Yep, no effort. That Paypal button is just there for looks. Give me a freaking break. It's been there for years, yet the ads are still needed to keep the site running.

I see your point. But why do we get so few information about it? If it wouldn't cost too much money to make TIF ad-free it would be a great motivation to actually donate.

Also, if you donate money now, what happens? A special rank/picture under your name would make you more respected because you donated to help tip.it running. Any form of appreciation, which is probably already present, but also in a way that all users can see it wouldn't be such a bad idea.

signature4s.jpg

I'd like to back up darkblade and the_tallest on this one. For two reasons mainly.

The first is that Tip.It depends on Jagex's cooperation for its existance. I've heard many people asking why Jagex doesn't condone or recognise any of its fansites when other games do, well in my opinion, this is exactly the reason. Why would Jagex support a website that advertises rule-breaking methods of playing the game they worked so hard to make? I agree, Jagex should recognise fansites, but why should they be expected to when those fansites (Tip.It included BTW) don't abide by Jagex's rules? This new ad system was an attempt to iron out all the RS Real World Trading ads, and if it helps bridge relationships with Jagex, I'm all for it.

The second... I've forgotten because Rihanna's on the radio and it's incredibly annoying! #-o

*Tried to remind self*

Ahh that was it! Tip.It has never, and hopefully never will, condone rule-breaking inside RS in any form. We uphold Jagex's rules strictly (with the possible exception of personal details, but we even draw a line there with what info you can give out), and if this means using a slower ad company to get rid of rule-breaking links, then again, I'm all for it.

So, I want all you Windows XP and Vista users to try the new Safari Beta for Windows and see if you still get these ads. Should be interesting.

Interesting indeed, given the huge number of security holes that were found the day it was released to Windows. :lol:

If it wouldn't cost too much money to make TIF ad-free it would be a great motivation to actually donate.

People should donate because they feel the need to, not because it will only take a tiny amount to get ads off the site or give them a shiny little avatar. It costs hundreds of dollars a month to run just one of Tip.It's multiple servers. Tiny little donations here and there are not enough.

The new advertisement system has definitely slowed my forum loading time.

As Merc said before, the javascript that generates the ads in posts is only run after the page has completely loaded. A bit of work could be done to help speed loading around the banner ad (moving it to the bottom of the code and floating it into position so it loads last all the time) but there is little difference in overall load time compared to the burstnet and google ads. I'm posting this from dialup and I still see the forum server taking longer to send content than the Adbright server does. :?

Edit:

The javascript file weighs in at about 30kb, which is a bit large for some. It does get cached though (unless you're crazy like that and browse with caching off) so it doesn't make that much of a dent in loading times. Moving it to the bottom of the page with the banner (suggested above) would help things render a little faster.

Just had to say this...

As me and tripsis said before, our Apple Safari browser doesn't get these ads in the posts, or pop-ups, even with the blocker turned off.

NOTE: you don't have to enter your E-mail to download it, just uncheck the "receive newsletters" box and download. Enjoy!

I recently downloaded the new internet to try it out. I no longer see the ads either! Pop ups are also non existant! I believe that if any user has a complaint, they should try to download this internet service. Your problem will be resolved, and therefore, there will no longer be any complaints.

By the way, if this strengthens the relationship between Jagex and Tip.It because Tip.It no longer advertises illegal advertisements against Jagex, I believe that this change is even more so than before for the best! I, for one, believe that if our relationship strengthens between Jagex and us, the more Tip.It will benefit!

EDIT: One Question to Safari users. Please PM me the answer so this post isn't spammed lol. When I try to open RuneScape, I click on World 99, and the page loads but there is a lego with a question mark on it where the screen should be. I can't play at the moment with Safari. Thanks!

devotedconstructionkt0.jpg

Devoted, that's probably Safari not knowing where your version of Java is and therefore can't load the game. Can't tell you how to fix it, but I'm at least trying to identify the problem for ya.

f475e02ecc.png

don't worry, you are going to "hell" anyway. wanna race to see who gets there first?

Officially reached 100 Combat at 1:33PM EST, June 14, 2007

First Dragon Drop: Dragon Chain (Dust Devils) @ 10:48PM EST, July 14, 2008, lv113 combat

Devoted, that's probably Safari not knowing where your version of Java is and therefore can't load the game. Can't tell you how to fix it, but I'm at least trying to identify the problem for ya.

Thanks for the help darkblade! I posted a couple of topics on the subject, one of RSOF and one on here. So, I am confident I will eventually find a way to fix this problem. :)

Safari for windows is currently in Beta testing and shouldn't be used as a day to day browser. That's why I linked to the slashdot story detailing the problems in my last reply.

Regardless, blocking the ads is not the solution. It wastes Tip.It's time in switching providers and cuts off the income that keeps the site up.

Regardless, blocking the ads is not the solution. It wastes Tip.It's time in switching providers and cuts off the income that keeps the site up.

Hopefully eventually getting the message through to the tip.it administrators that an ad-supported site is not what the user base wants.

siganizq4.gif

Hopefully eventually getting the message through to the tip.it administrators that an ad-supported site is not what the user base wants.

But there is no other option. Unless you want Tip.It on subscriptions, which a lot of users, including myself would be displeased about. I really don't believe that an administrator would consider that anyways. Once again, I will state, the ads are really not too big of a hassel. They can easily be avoided. Why did I try out a new internet service? Simply to try something new and to prove a point. Once again, the donations button has always been available. If tip.it had enough donations to run the site ad free, I am positive that they would. The problem is, there aren't enough donations. Plus, donations just aren't a steady income. If one day the users (us) comes short of however much this site costs to run, Oh NO!, Tip.It is down until more money can be collected. I would much rather have ads than no Tip.It at all.

But there is no other option. Unless you want Tip.It on subscriptions,

As per:

As far as I'm concerned, making tip.it forums subscription only would greatly increase the quality of the site.

I will state, the ads are really not too big of a hassel

Certainly not to me... I block each and every one.

donations just aren't a steady income.

But subscriptions are. If users know that unless they've paid their three dollars for the month they won't be seeing anything other than a "rack off freeloader" message, then they'll be more likely to blow the cobwebs off their wallets.

siganizq4.gif

I am not disagreeing when you say that the quality of the site may be better with a subscription. But, most users won't pay when there's other sites out there that are totally free. Some people will still be loyal to tip.it and pay the cash, and a heck of a lot of more people will just switch to a free site that is out there. (There is a lot of them!) It just wouldn't be a smart move for Tip.It!

I am not disagreeing when you say that the quality of the site may be better with a subscription. But, most users won't pay when there's other sites out there that are totally free. Some people will still be loyal to tip.it and pay the cash, and a heck of a lot of more people will just switch to a free site that is out there. (There is a lot of them!) It just wouldn't be a smart move for Tip.It!

Exactly why a donator benefit would be great. Perhaps no ads, a donator only board (which would likely be more comprised of a more mature userbase,) larger inbox, lowered (although not abolished) flood control (since you have something to lose if do something stupid,) just a couple things that might motivate people to fork out a little.

Mastermule52.png

The refuge that you built to flee that places that you've come to fear the most ... is the place that you have come to fear the most.

Operator - http://www.heartunit.org

Council - http://z8.invisionfree.com/skillaz

Moderator - http://forum.meebo.com