Rap/Hip-hop.

Intriguing

I've decided to broaden my tastes in music a bit, and I thought I might try out rap and/or hip-hop. Basically, I hate all of the mainstream rap and hip-hop artists, as everything that they put out is superficial. So, I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of some good rap or hip-hop artists. And just to specify a bit more if I hadn't already, I'm not really interested in the mainstream artists

Cool.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Talib Kweli & Dj Hi-Tek (Reflection Eternal) - Train of Thought

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!

T.I.;50 cent;The Game;rick ross;ja rule;Lil'wayne;mims;Sezzy

http://www.Sezzy.lt;g-unit;lloyd banks;fat joe;jadakiss;Ludacris;lil'scrappy;young bloodz;2PAC;bow wow;Young Capone;Young dro;(escpecially look for Nitti Beats);Baby a.k.a. birdman;timbaland;

there are other ones but i'mm lazy :DD these are the one of the best'

Kill%20Or%20Get%20Killed.png :twisted:

chinli90.gif

chinli90.gif

chinli90.gif

http://www.Sezzy.lt;g-unit;lloyd banks;fat joe;jadakiss;Ludacris;lil'scrappy;young bloodz;2PAC;bow wow;Young Capone;Young dro;(escpecially look for Nitti Beats);Baby a.k.a. birdman;timbaland;

I feel sick to my stomach when people say those are some of the best... but thats just me.

Try these out: Wu Tang Clan, Rakim & Eric B, KRS-1, Nas, 2Pac, Biggie; those are some good ones. Try to avoid these new rappers, they are garbage compared to the old stuff I just gave you.

122 Combat : 99 Hits : 99 Attack : 99 Strength

97/99 Defence : 99 Fletching : 99 Woodcutting

well, i already know i'm not going to check out 50 cent, ja rule, g-unit, or bow wow from him.. i haven't heard enough rap to know if i like new or old rap more.

so far the favourite guys i've found are tupac, talib kweli, and madvillain. i don't mind wu-tang clan.

Cool.

He said he hated mainstream, and that is all mainstream. 2Pac is all I would recommend out of that.

Metal fans, check out my band!

Poopingman.png

Still the King....

6g2iqf8.jpg

Cage - Movies for the Blind

4ytcacx.jpg

The Pharcyde - Bizarre ride II tha Pharcyde

5x65km1.jpg

Mac Dre - Dreganomics

681z7g5.jpg

50 Cent - Power of the Dollar

Yea, I know you're all gonna cry "ooh 50 Cent he sucks!!11 Candyshop!1111" but actually listen to it and you can't deny that it's a quality album, by 50 Cent.

21o4pav.jpg

Besides others that have already been suggested, check out Run-DMC and A Tribe Called Quest. Eminem also, but I'm sure you have heard of him.

Ghost: I am prejudice towards ignorance, so that would explain why I appear to be so.

Wu-TangClanEntertheWu-Tangalbumcover.jpg

NasIllmatic.jpg

2PacGreatestHits.jpg

Dr.DreTheChronic.jpg

Curtain_Call.jpg

Jay-z-the-blueprint.jpg

There's a few of the genre's most definitive albums (I picked a couple greatest hits albums because he is just starting with the genre). Otehrs I reccomend are,

Albums (in no particular order):

2001 -Dr. Dre

The Documentary -The Game

Doctor's Advocate -The Game

All Eyez on Me -2Pac

Don Kullimanti: the 7 Day Theory -Makaveli [For the record, Makaveli and 2Pac are the same person, Makaveli was an alternate identity of sorts, who's music was much darker]

Reasonable Doubt -Jay-Z

Iron Flag -Wu-Tang Clan

Stillmatic -Nas

God's Son -Nas

Hip-Hop is Dead [Too true...] -Nas

Visions of Ghandi -Jedi Mind Tricks

The County Hound -EP -Ca$his

Predator -Ice Cube

Rhyme Pays -Ice-T

It's On (Dr.Dre) 187um Killa -Eazy-E

Kingdom Come -Jay-Z

Blackout! -Method Man & Redman

Tical -Method Man

I cant believe nobody has mentioned Common yet. Other than him I cant think of anyone who hasn't already been said and who isn't mainstream.

Also I agree, Power of the Dollar is a decent album. It's hard to believe that 50 Cent is the same man who wrote it when you hear his newer stuff.

wild_bunch.gif

He who learns must suffer, and, even in our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart,

and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.

- Aeschylus (525 BC - 456 BC)

It's all 'mainstream' though.

Uhm, define mainstream. Sure, some of those artists are mainstream in a sense (such as Eminem, Nas, Jay-Z, etc.), but that doesn't mean they're bad. I realise some of the albums I picked are more of the mysoginistic type (such as The Chronic), but I was just picking out albums that show the majority of types of hip-hop at their best.

Uhm, define mainstream. Sure, some of those artists are mainstream in a sense (such as Eminem, Nas, Jay-Z, etc.), but that doesn't mean they're bad. I realise some of the albums I picked are more of the mysoginistic type (such as The Chronic), but I was just picking out albums that show the majority of types of hip-hop at their best.

The OP said that he/she hated mainstream rap though, which is why it was mentioned.

wild_bunch.gif

He who learns must suffer, and, even in our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart,

and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.

- Aeschylus (525 BC - 456 BC)

The OP said that he/she hated mainstream rap though, which is why it was mentioned.

I know, but the music I reccomended wasn't "mainstream" in that sense. Sure, some of the artists have gone mainstream (The Game, Jay-Z, Eminem, etc), but their talent shines nonetheless. It's not like I picked the whole "This is Why I'm Hot/Amusemant Park/[insert other bad mainstream song here]" music, just good music, some of which happens to be from mainstream artists.

Common is extremely good, check out his album "Be".

The Sage Francis album "A Healthy Distrust" is also very good.

Check out the artist Murs and his album "3:16 The 9th Edition".

Spank Rock's album "YoYoYoYoYo" is one of the best produced hip-hop albums I've ever heard.

The album "One A.M." by Diverse is also good.

Blackalicious, "The Craft".

Ghostface Killah, "Fishscale".

Clipse, "Hell Hath No Fury".

Mr. Lif, "I Phantom".

Any A Tribe Called Quest album.

Aceyalone and RJD2, "Magnificent City".

any MF Doom album, (he has a ton of pseudonyms so look him up on wiki for other albums)

any J Dilla/Jay Dee album, he mostly does just intrumental hip-hop but it's still very good.

Back to P2p soon!

Atmosphere-We're having more fun then you can imagine(I believe the album name is, Smart Went Crazy is a genius song :P)

In my opinion and what may happen to you....I don't know if you're like me or not but I started out on the old [cabbage] and to me it soon got dated within the year I listened to it on my Ipod shuffle and then I just said [bleep] it and went mainstream and currently keep my ipod current with the latest songs(though some I will skip *cough* amusement park *cough*) while sometimes rotating off my on the go playlist to my old playlists and listen to a few songs before I know all the bloody words and even freestyle over them with something new rofl...

It was more aimed at Intriguin than you, but since you reply. Sure there are some talented rappers on that list. But that doesn't make it an interesting list for someone who isn't looking for mainstream rappers. If you watch MTV for a day you've heard them all. That's all. Why not advise something more 'exotic'. Everybody knows this stuff.

Check out The High & Might (They do something with Cage under the name of Smut Peddlers as well) too. Copywrite is also wroth checking out, same goes for Papoose who is releasing his first album in August or something. Also check out Edan - Beauty and the Beat.

21o4pav.jpg

It was more aimed at Intriguin than you, but since you reply. Sure there are some talented rappers on that list. But that doesn't make it an interesting list for someone who isn't looking for mainstream rappers. If you watch MTV for a day you've heard them all. That's all. Why not advise something more 'exotic'. Everybody knows this stuff.

Most those artists are rarely on MTV ('cept for Jay-Z, The Game, 2Pac [in terms of tributes and documenteries], and to an extent, Nas). Some of them are terribly underrated, such as Method Man, Cashis, etc.

But I see your point. Since he was new to the genre, I just wanted to introduce him to who are IMO the top dogs, not the one-hit-wonder hip-poppers that are MTV regulars. But the underground and indie have a LOT to offer too. :)

In an attempt to clear up what I was meaning by no mainstream artists, if there is an artist you think is amazing, and they happen to be mainstream, feel free to mention them. I filter the suggestions people give me anyway, so I'm not going to listen to everything you mention. What I meant was that I'm not going to be interested in listening to music such as Nelly, Snoop Dogg, 50 Cent (due to advice, I might try an older album, but Candyshop is horrible), Akon, etc., so there's not much point in posting it.

Regardless of that I appreciate all your comments, even if you are suggesting mainstream artists, so there's no need to get in a fight over it. :)

Cool.