Solving the Gold Selling Problem

Burta

OK everyone knows that the black market trade of gold and the indrect problems that it cause (autoers) is a primary concern for Jagex and a problem they have been fighting for ages with very limited success.

Now my suggestion isn't really new, but it is slightly modified to reduce the negative results of it's implementation, but it centers around the idea that Jagex should sell gold to undermine the black market gold industry to make it so there is reduced profits for gold sellers reducing their incentive to sell Runescape gold and therefore reducing their desire to use autoers and reduce the game play for other players.

I believe if Jagex sold Runescape gold they could not only make more money and in turn reinvest it into the game but they would obviously be servicing a growing proportion of the Runescape community that is willing to buy gold.

Though in selling gold I'd like to think that Jagex might be able to set a limit to the amount of gold an individual player could buy in any given month, to not only reduce their own liability but also to promote game play as the primary source of revenue, not to mention preventing playing bankrolling aspects of the game.

Jagex might also look at some of the method applied by other MMORPGs to solve the black market problem like the creation of special servers that allowed such trading to take place.

My propose suggestion is quite long, but those points above are the basics of it. If you care to read the whole thing the link is below.

What do you think?

Source:Solving the Runescape Gold Selling Problem

I've seen some MMORPG selling virtual moneys/items via the real market officialy. They simply publish a card with a single-use code, and when a player enters it to their account, they get the item

However, for this to work, the selling price must be low enough. If RWTers sell 1 million RS gold for USD$4, the price must be smaller than USD $4 to provide a strong incentives for a player, say the price of them is USD$3

Unfortunately, gold farms arn't dumbs, and they will follow suit to cut price. Eventually, a price war emerges and hyperinflation occurs. Making gold via extracting resources will become impractical for the large amount of currentcy flowing in the market.

Futhermore, Jagex claims that one's status in life (rich? poor? success? or whatever) will not affect one's ability to succeed in game. IF Jagex implements such a change, this rule will be challenged.

So, this method usually fails, and only appliable to some MMORPGS which are designed to run in a short period of time(1~2 yrs), then close down when they become outdated and unprofitable. Only in this way, a game provider can become fifty rich by selling the golds and advertisement and get their profit maximumized. Again Runescape is out of this case

Sorry as I got my essay long and naggy. I'm afraid that your idea won't work, and I'm not gonna support it

Currently taking a break from Runescape

Yeah, I'd quit.

-"how much money do you have?"

-"2 million."

-" Nooooooob!"

No seriously, Runescape would be killed.

Matt: You want that eh? You want everything good for you. You want everything that's--falls off garbage can

Camera guy: Whoa, haha, are you okay dude?

Matt: You want anything funny that happens, don't you?

Camera guy: still laughing

Matt: You want the funny shit that happens here and there, you think it comes out of your [bleep]ing [wagon] pushes garbage can down, don't you? You think it's funny? It comes out of here! running towards Camera guy

Camera guy: runs away still laughing

Matt: You think the funny comes out of your mother[bleep]ing creativity? Comes out of Satan, mother[bleep]er! nn--ngh! pushes Camera guy down

Camera guy: Hoooholy [bleep]!

Matt: FUNNY ISN'T REAL! FUNNY ISN'T REAL!

From Jagex site....

Why do we have this rule?

We have this rule for three reasons: Firstly because we donÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t want RuneScape to be just a game in which you can buy your way to success, if we let players start doing this it devalues the game for other players. We feel your status in real-life shouldnÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t affect your ability to be successful in the game.

I agree completely with their reasoning and hope that they never allow players to buy money in game. I doubt they can ever completely stop real life trading, but they're working hard on this issue, and I'm sure they'll eventually figure something out that makes it not worthwhile for gold farmers.

Harrington.gif

Not such a good idea:

1.people need to earn their own money in game by working hard

2.If people will buy money from and will reach their limit

they'll buy more from the "black market"

9copysp4.png

They should just "sell" RuneScape Gold. When they type in their screen name, JAGeX will ban them. It won't hurt JAGeX at all. No real gold selling is going on.

Thats false advertising. Trading Standards would come down like a ton of bricks on them.

swordfinalqr7.jpg

Denizen of Darkness| PSN= sworddude198

They should just "sell" RuneScape Gold. When they type in their screen name, JAGeX will ban them. It won't hurt JAGeX at all. No real gold selling is going on.

But most people make new accounts

Buy the money

Have a friend take it after buying

They get on their main then get the money from the friend

Therefore if they do that

All that gets banned is a bunch of level 3s

Yeah, I'd quit.

-"how much money do you have?"

-"2 million."

-" Nooooooob!"

No seriously, Runescape would be killed.

Yep, no support list please?

RAWR PLAWKS?

abbypu8.th.png

SELLING BLUE ELE- SKIRT - PM - ME -IN- GAME

I'm going to assume that most people didn't read my actual article that I linked to in my original post, it addressed many of the issues and concerns you guys raised.

bad idea, ever heard of inflation?
I suppose I should probably qualify myself. I'm actually in my 5th year of university studying Business Management and ECONOMICS, and I have been studying economics for over 7 years now. So I'm not unfamiliar with basic economic principles like "inflation" and the basic rationale of modern online business because I run an online business myself. So I'd appreciate not being treated like an idiot the suggestion I made which you can read in full HERE - is pretty well thought out.

OK now to comment on the actual constructive comments made.

Firstly the idea of a price war is not rediculous but I think in a practical sense it is impossible for Jagex to lose the price war because everything is working in their favour. For example a RS gold seller needs to play employees to play the game (gold farmers) they need the capital to buy computers for gold farmers to use, and they have the other operational expenses including advertising in what is already a very competitive industry.

Now if jagex were to enter the market they would be able to create gold for free, they wouldn't have to advertise or invest capital into computers to harvest gold - in other words they have an unbeatable cost structure and they would be the low cost provider by miles.

Secondly Jagex would have no incentive to enter a price war. If Jagex set gold prices at $5/M and black market traders were selling at $3/M people would still buy of Jagex because they are the reliable source of gold and there is no chance of losing your account.

Next thing that hasn't been considered in the fact that these black market gold sellers are business men, if the return on investment is in selling runescape gold then they will move to other MMORPGs to make money. What I mean by this is gold farmer don't care what game they play whether it is Runescape, WoW, Everquest or any other MMORPG - they are in it to make money and if there is more money to be made in other games they will move to those games.

So by Jagex entering the market they WOULD crush the competition because the black market traders can't compete on the same level as Jagex because Jagex has the low cost structures.

There is a problem here. If there was more money being put into the game by selling gold, that also means that the price of raw materials would rise. Which, in turn, creates more goldfarmers, because it is then profitable to auto.

Now what I'd like to see is people gaining membership with RS gold.

That's what it takes to be a hero, a little gem

of innocence inside of you that makes you want

to believe that there still exists a right and wrong,

that decency will somehow triumph in the end.

--Lise Hand

simply put, your idea sucks. if jagex ever started to sell money for i would certainly quit. i just came back from a long pause of playing and it has taken me a week and a half to get 1m. this was startin with nothin. not even enough to buy a rune axe so i could cut yews.

3 dollars for a mil? this is a horrible idea. the game would go to [cabbage]. the market would go to [cabbage] with the game. people that are so addicted to this gam and handle their own money would spend hundreds of dollars on money. wen they fially have hundreds of million they will get bored and most likely quit

Not a good idea Jagex creates stuff to get money out of the community. Like construction and such there was too much money in the economy and they made ways to get out billions. I'm sure they won't want people buying gold. Also why should it matter if your poor or rich in a game it's ur fantasy world and you can be whatever u want to be.

I DONT support

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

Jagex would be breaking their own rules. Rule 12 clearly states that you cannot buy RuneScape money with real world money.

However, I do wish for the macroing to stop. It is horrible in the F2P worlds (even though I am a member). I saw several lvl 3 macroers run to a yew and start cutting it.

If the delay for the report abuse system was dropped more macroers could be reported quicker.

Additionally, maybe Jagex should temporaily ban an IP address that macroers are using.

*I support #RSPC, #Jay, #Invision, #Evans, #Idle, #RsCenter, #Jesant13, & Velocity's forums at http://alboe.forumlivre.com/.*

runemrune,Jesant13.gif

The best solution for this whole problem is just not buying from them. . I mean you get off your lazy butt and work for your gold. I do. Sure it's hard, but it's actually rewarding that work that you have gone can benefit yourself and other people. Not only that but if you do break the rules, you do screw around the good, honest players such as myself, plus you miss out on actually training skills what are helpful to you. But alas, people are too freaking lazy and greedy to do things by themselves.

I'll admit when I first started RS, I saw on eBay the people selling millions upon millions of gold and was tempted to buy it (I didn't, mind you). Things such as this could be easier to control for Jagex than hunting down websites and stopping them. It might not work, but it also could help thin some of the macroers and goldfarmers out a bit. Why can't Jagex at least talk to eBay about that and try to fix that problem? I know that Jagex is pouring a lot of time and resources into this, but they could do a little more in the more obvious directions. I do have to say though, thanks for banning thousands upon thousands of accounts and actually trying hard to stop this (I know it has to be difficult). :thumbsup:

But back on track here. It's sad that people are making tons of real life cash by exploiting these moronic and, for lack of a better word, ignorant people (meaning children or people like them and don't forget the sweatshop laborers). I see why you think Jagex selling money could potentially help, but it still just benefits the lazy and greedy, who are causing the whole freaking problem anyway. It would just give them a safer way to buy their money, since many of those RS gold sites can give you viruses and many nasty things like that.

I'd also not be shocked that a small percentage of people that complain about bots and such, have actually tried to buy money and maybe got screwed over, scammed, or banned.

Just think that ALL of these problems stem from laziness, greed, and the basic principle of supply and demand. If you take away demand you have no need for supply, except for the few people that would make the business unprofitable for the goldfarmers and macroers. But it's just human nature for some to be lazy and/or greedy and just take the quick way out of problems, so I don't think that this will ever stop until this game is shut down (which I hope is not very soon). I just hope that some people read what I and others say, stop breaking rules, and don't go buy gold from other people. If you do buy gold and are reading this, just stop it. You're ruining the game for all of us!

bannerbancocopiadj3.jpg

Heres a hammer, some planks and a few nails, now all you gotta do is build a bridge and get over it.

Id Suge- Latin for "Suck It"

What about allowing us to swear as well?

How about allowing multiple account log in?

-.- You have no sense whatsoever. This is a stupid idea. Lvl 3s with huge RL wallets can have santas overnight.

drapit.png

it would totaly ruin the game, if people could buy gold then you wouldn't have to do any work. It would take me about an hour of real life work to make the 4 dollars for 1 mil but it would take me around 2 days of hard grinding to make it on the game. Another solution would be to crack down on autoers and sweatshops.

You have to work for your money in runescape. Otherwise, it defeats the purpose, and it's unfair. And, alot of the people who play runescape and have no REAL lives would be broke. :notalk:

Penguin Power!

MSSW3sig.png

^The last great war of the Wilderness....

Yeah, I don't have a cool signature, so the MSSW3 sig will have to do....