Daily Sketch Thread-It is BACK!- topic: angels @@@@@@@@@

tttia

A mellowed out, collasaly tall, punk rocker settles down and marries a nice country girl, who enjoys riding on his arm. Even as an aging man, he still reminices about the good ole days on tour...

punk7bm.png

Those are great sketches, nice tree in the BG.

Here's part of a piece from HS, had to use black and white oil pastels on a red background:

misterxmaneyes9zh.png

Looking in a mirror I emphasized on the eyes so I made them and stuff around it proportionally larger compared to the rest of my face in the full pic (one eye is slightly bigger than the other), attempting something different for a self portrait.

5637_s.gif

Pixel sigs by me.

Pixel Art

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The idea is that they follow the topic. But if you do something else you can put it here too.

Here is mine for couples. No reference

I have seen a lot of couples in this situation unfortunately. The last moment together.

Not all couple moments are good ones. but you can really see the love--and pain, at times like these. (by the way, this looks far better on a dark theme)

grief8resize1bu.jpg

welp i have to do projects over the summer for school, and this year we got to choose any book, then we got a whole bunch of choices of things we could do and one was a set of drawings, pictures and i chose that one. so i am in the proccess of makin them, if anybody has read Eragon, its a good book i recomend it and ill prob post the sketch once i figure out a way (if its ok with ttia, cuz it prob wont b related to the topic) and maybe get sum c/c n stuff on it

kc32dx4.gif

thanks to Etexbleu for the sig

The idea is that they follow the topic. But if you do something else you can put it here too.

Here is mine for couples. No reference

I have seen a lot of couples in this situation unfortunately. The last moment together.

Not all couple moments are good ones. but you can really see the love--and pain, at times like these. (by the way, this looks far better on a dark theme)

grief8resize1bu.jpg

Pretty sweet, I must say. The style is...stylin', you know? Kinda unique, I figure. Some C+C is the perspective: Mainly, it's off. the woman's face is seen in profile, yet the viewer sees the casket from a higher view. Now, if the casket is lifted, (assuming she could hold a pose like that on a slanted casket) then my critique is that the ruffles beneth it spay outwards, and are screwing with gravity.

Overall, I like. It seems just a tad grainy, but it's all good. 8)

A. yes I pretty much struggle with perspective. That is why I want to do these kind of things, I need the practice. It is raised, as it is at the last viewing, on those little rolling stands.

Yes the ruffles splay out too much. I haven't figured away around that yet. Actually..I think if I made the corner one recede more behind the other that would help....but I doubt I will now.

The face, I don't see as much of an issue there, but in any case, I find the air brush to be great overall, but tough to get tons of detail.

thanks for the critique!

On your piece, I like the duotone, but the contrast has to go up for me to make much of it. The farmer/punk thing is humerous. maybe some more elements of how he is fitting it would be good.

for hanging on his arm she seems quite small.

A. yes I pretty much struggle with perspective. That is why I want to do these kind of things, I need the practice. It is raised, as it is at the last viewing, on those little rolling stands.

Yes the ruffles splay out too much. I haven't figured away around that yet. Actually..I think if I made the corner one recede more behind the other that would help....but I doubt I will now.

The face, I don't see as much of an issue there, but in any case, I find the air brush to be great overall, but tough to get tons of detail.

thanks for the critique!

On your piece, I like the duotone, but the contrast has to go up for me to make much of it. The farmer/punk thing is humerous. maybe some more elements of how he is fitting it would be good.

I take it you've never seen a giant punkrocker? Think: antithesis of an EMO kid. Friggin huge this guy, killed a man with a stage jump once. :lol:

I would have givin him a straw hat, but you know, his doo would be miffed and such.

thanks for the critique!

I take it you've never seen a giant punkrocker? Think: antithesis of an EMO kid. Friggin huge this guy, killed a man with a stage jump once. :lol:

I would have givin him a straw hat, but you know, his doo would be miffed and such.

hahaha...more contrast makes Tittia happy. thats hilarious dude. i dont know if many people will catch on to that.

and heres a sketch i made for a sig that im going to make for someone.

scan8nx.jpg

I wish my scanner wasnt broken... :cry:

The Enrichment Center reminds you that the weighted companion cube will never threaten to stab you and, in fact, cannot speak.

In the event that the weighted companion cube does speak, the Enrichment Center urges you to disregard its advice.

On topic. Sorry, it was quicker than I expected. :( The thought is that "not all relationships work out". Not sure if I'm quite ready to publish full character drawings yet, so I'll stick to simple things. Anyways, I wanted to try and think of something more original than a man and a woman holding hands. :)

poorbird7ew.png

Off-topic sketch I drew today. Some sort of futuristic police vehicle.

concept39rb.png

My critiques!

Kingofduke, good start. I think the hand, torsos, and faces look slightly wrong in proportions, but I can see you're still working on the heads. :)

Tttia, how do you work? Do you completely draw your things out of soft brushes? Or hard strokes + blend? And do you draw at a larger size? Also, do you own photoshop? (which version?)

The face doesn't look bad, I think it's the hand that should be improved. It seems to curl more than the curv of the casket, and there is no cast shadow indicating her hand isn't placed directly on it, so it's kinda confusing. Good job on textures, and I would have liked to see the red ribbons on top a little sharper. I also think their colours could be dulled a little, to help the gloomy feel.

Otherwise, great textures and casket detail, nicely set up mood with the colours.

Godslayer, wow that gets messy at the bottom. :lol: Although now that you explain it to me, it all seems to work. And it's a great sketch at that - great detail and awesome character drawings. Wish you'd use the brush tool instead of pencil for sketching. :P

Misterxman, looks great. I've never worked with oil pastels, so I don't have much of an idea on how to critique it. :) But from what I can see, not much needs to be done apart from what Godslayer has already mentioned.

Thanks for the critique. Yeah, a shadow would help. Her hand is supposed to be curling back to show emotion, kind of contorted like.

The process. It all depends on the tool. For most kinds, yes I do hard strokes then blend. This applies to basically everything I do in Corel Photopaint (no I don't have ps, I use corel since I can't afford ps). Most things in Painter I do the same, especially when using opaque brushes. I usually use the rough O brush from the fine art 2 collection. It emulates a traditional rough brush.

I have a couple of walk throughs, though they were all done with Corel Photopaint. They are just progress shots mostly. But they show the usual method.

http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?t=258320&highlight=

http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?t=201522

http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?t=201394&highlight=

Here is one from painter. I have a lot of half-finished practice ones. This is the latest from a couple days ago. Not sure if I will ever finish. No reference on this one, getting tired of reference. This is using the rough o brush. It is basically an opaque brush. It is set in Painter to have a somewhat blending quality so that it emulates oils. I also use a dry brush blender which emulates mixing current paint with a dry brush on canvas.

practice6altsamp0wy.jpg

With the air brush tool I tend to just lay down tone, drawing it out in layered strokes. They are all soft, but build. One stroke doesn't give much. But it is not the same as blending in after a hard stroke.

with detail however, the old method is the one that is closest, because with a small air brush you get a more traditional brush feel.

I usually paint at 2000 x 2000 or larger. Perhaps the largest I have done is 6000 pixels on one side. I suggest you work in as large a space as possible, with dpi at 300. The only limit should be your computers RAM etc. In air brush especially it seems quite necessary or else it looks a bit grainy. But I like to with my others too for when I make DA prints. I upload them at a smaller size so that they are easily viewed.

Also, I didn't get Xman's critiqued. Thanks for reminding me :)

I would love to see the whole piece. With only that section it is a bit hard to make sense of the light source. Is it basically coming straight on, or perhaps just slightly to the right (from our view) of center?

Good eye highlight, and pupil detail. Keeping it loose makes it look more natural.

I like the bird, Pretty cute. The vehicle looks interesting, but the wheels seem almost stone age.

And ...if you look at it just right it looks like a forshortened guy on his back with his belly sticking up...and ...er..his feet cut off? Anyway lol.

Nice work.

As soon as I read the word "structure" my mind went right to skyscrapers.

I know the quality is terrible, but I'm new at scanning stuff and resizing it and all that.

DNAbuilding2.jpg

This is one I've had in the back of my head for a while, just never put it on paper until now. It's kind of a futuristic building based on the structure of a DNA molecule.(don't ask how the elevators work :D )

btw, this is a great thing you have going, I wish I was here when it was started

slayer, nice sketch. I like the building especially, and the evil face is pretty good. Not quite as sure about the other, only because I don't think I quite get the whole thing. What "operations" do you mean?

Good sketch on the DNA building.

Here is todays. It was not quick at all. This was painstaking to get the can right.

It is called Fading Habitat. 100 percent air brush, no reference on the fairy, reference on the can.

cokefairyfinalresamp2zw.jpg

Tttia, there are certain things that shouldn't be described. Many of those things lie within that church. Basicaly, it's supposed to be a disturbing setting.

Criticism on your piece: proportion. The fairy's arm is longer than it should be.