Attention...Recognition and Lies, Which+Why do YOU Seek it?

DRUMINATOR17

you don't already have carpul tunel with those stats druminator? i got it playing oblivion for a week trying to figure out how to make a level 52 character....

Isnt that a rather gutsy and quite hypocritical statement to make coming from the person with what is most likely the highest daily post count in all of tip.it forums?

that was really just a joke, i don't have carpul tunal. and just because i like to post means i seek attention? i just like chatting i guess, but it really distracts me from runescape....

Yes! Actually yes it does.

Surely you have to realise by now that there are varying degrees of Attention. A person that holds up a bank with hostages inside is surely going to get alot more attention then someone who posts alot on these forums...you know this right?

That being said, even though you might not intend for that to be your reason for posting alot it still could be a hidden motive for the reason you post alot on these forums, that being that you seek attention.

Afterall, ingame while playing runescape there is no kind of way to track the amount of posts players make between themselves while talking. Take that and the fact that you "Just like chatting" and one would think that you should love replying and talking and making new friend ingame and you would think you would also have a full friends list. As you have previously stated you keep your friends list around 50 people of which that way at least a few are always on that way you have a person or 2 to talk to. With those few people that you talk to you are getting their attention each time you reply to each other so your still getting attention either way you look at it, on these forums or ingame. Which as you can clearly see brings you to seeking / having sought attention at one point in this game.

true, i am getting attention just trying to better myself, i won't deny that. but druminator said that all people seek attention, which isn't true. i neither seek attention, nor go out of my way to avoid attention. in fact, i usually have more attention than i want, i'm the kind of guy that thinks more than 5 friends is having too many, because then you can't keep up with them all at once and you can't all talk to each other. so i designed the way i make friends in runescape around that, eventually i have about 50 friends, and about 2-10 are on at all times. i didn't make friends according to when they get on runescape, but i made just enough friends so that math shows there will be 5 friends on at all times. once i reached that number of freinds, i stopped trying to make more. that doesn't mean i cahnged my personality to be meaner, simply means i don't ask someone to be a friend after we had a good chat or see each other a lot and help each other. so, i guess i do seek attention, but i seek very little, and try to avoid getting more if i don't have to go out of my way to do it.

If its not true, then please by all means post an example to back up your case in which all people dont desire attention.

This is a classic Example of the glass being half empty or half full, either way you look at it it is still the same thing, and to some extent people always have and most likely always will continue to be hardwired and born with a desire to get attention.

an example: the only attention i seek is friends, and very little, as i explained in a previous post. in runescape, i don't buy fancy clothes or armor just for people to say nice armor, i spend my money on more practical things. the reason i am going for those 2 99s right now is to make money, which i have needed for a long time. while people my level are walking around in d meds, d legs, obby shields and granite plates, i can't even afford the granite plate. so i set goals to get this better armor, thus making my game more enjoyable. that's an example of me not seeking attention. except for friends, but everyone needs friends.

You might as well have just saved yourself the trouble of typing anything past what i bolded, afterall that little bit thats bolded alone disproves you and proves my statement correct at the same time. No matter how much or how little of it you seek, seeking attention is still seeking attention.

CLICK - 770th to 99 SLAYER 2/4/08 - 204th to 99 Summoning 7/1/08 CLICK

tifovsigev3.jpg

Druminator17.png

[Hide=List of Drops That I haven't updated in Years but want to keep in my Sig anyways...]VISAGE DROP - 12/06/07

3 Duo Sara Hilts, 3 Duo Arma Hilts, 2 Trio Arma Hilts.

Dark Bows: (11) Dragon Boots: (50!)

Whip Drops: (42!!!) Dragon Drops: (90+!!!!!) 2 D CHAINS!, 3 D Axe, 8 D meds, 7 left halfs, 7 D legs, 6 skirts, 8 Spears[/hide]

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Read Goobore's post as he makes clear there is a difference between SEEKING attention and GETTING attention, something which is quite inexplicably confusing you. If you are saying you get attention no matter your intention your still wrong, as Goobore pointed out. Seriously at this point its about wrapping this up, your logic loses. You cannot say definitively that everyone playing the game is seeking and/or gaining attention. Just as i can't say every person is empathic and altruistic in their attitudes and intents when playing the game.

you don't already have carpul tunel with those stats druminator? i got it playing oblivion for a week trying to figure out how to make a level 52 character....

Isnt that a rather gutsy and quite hypocritical statement to make coming from the person with what is most likely the highest daily post count in all of tip.it forums?

that was really just a joke, i don't have carpul tunal. and just because i like to post means i seek attention? i just like chatting i guess, but it really distracts me from runescape....

Yes! Actually yes it does.

Surely you have to realise by now that there are varying degrees of Attention. A person that holds up a bank with hostages inside is surely going to get alot more attention then someone who posts alot on these forums...you know this right?

That being said, even though you might not intend for that to be your reason for posting alot it still could be a hidden motive for the reason you post alot on these forums, that being that you seek attention.

Afterall, ingame while playing runescape there is no kind of way to track the amount of posts players make between themselves while talking. Take that and the fact that you "Just like chatting" and one would think that you should love replying and talking and making new friend ingame and you would think you would also have a full friends list. As you have previously stated you keep your friends list around 50 people of which that way at least a few are always on that way you have a person or 2 to talk to. With those few people that you talk to you are getting their attention each time you reply to each other so your still getting attention either way you look at it, on these forums or ingame. Which as you can clearly see brings you to seeking / having sought attention at one point in this game.

true, i am getting attention just trying to better myself, i won't deny that. but druminator said that all people seek attention, which isn't true. i neither seek attention, nor go out of my way to avoid attention. in fact, i usually have more attention than i want, i'm the kind of guy that thinks more than 5 friends is having too many, because then you can't keep up with them all at once and you can't all talk to each other. so i designed the way i make friends in runescape around that, eventually i have about 50 friends, and about 2-10 are on at all times. i didn't make friends according to when they get on runescape, but i made just enough friends so that math shows there will be 5 friends on at all times. once i reached that number of freinds, i stopped trying to make more. that doesn't mean i cahnged my personality to be meaner, simply means i don't ask someone to be a friend after we had a good chat or see each other a lot and help each other. so, i guess i do seek attention, but i seek very little, and try to avoid getting more if i don't have to go out of my way to do it.

If its not true, then please by all means post an example to back up your case in which all people dont desire attention.

This is a classic Example of the glass being half empty or half full, either way you look at it it is still the same thing, and to some extent people always have and most likely always will continue to be hardwired and born with a desire to get attention.

an example: the only attention i seek is friends, and very little, as i explained in a previous post. in runescape, i don't buy fancy clothes or armor just for people to say nice armor, i spend my money on more practical things. the reason i am going for those 2 99s right now is to make money, which i have needed for a long time. while people my level are walking around in d meds, d legs, obby shields and granite plates, i can't even afford the granite plate. so i set goals to get this better armor, thus making my game more enjoyable. that's an example of me not seeking attention. except for friends, but everyone needs friends.

You might as well have just saved yourself the trouble of typing anything past what i bolded, afterall that little bit thats bolded alone disproves you and proves my statement correct at the same time. No matter how much or how little of it you seek, seeking attention is still seeking attention.

i suppose you're right, on everything except the top comment. i don't garner attention when i'm cahtting with my friends, as i'm talking about things that nobody else would want to talk about, that's why i made these friends. they like to talk about the unordinary, and these conversations usually make people ignore us because we are talking about it. i like to talk about the unordinary because the mainstream "z0mg rares are noobish" just bores me. i'm not trying to attract attention, i'm trying to have an enjoyable conversation. as for these forums, if an enjoyable topic is made, as they are frequently, i will post there. or, if i see something that i disagree with, i will post why i disagree. although the latter is suppose does seem like garnering attention, the former is not. i suppose i get what you're saying now. and the more i think about it, the more it seems logical...

rare%20ghoul2.gif

rare%20ghoul2.gif

Humans, by our very nature, desire attention.

Newborn babies do.

Some of us do manage to, eventually, outgrow that immaturity...

Oh, get off your high horse and take a psychology class.

We all desire attention, it is a fundamental NEED in humans to survive.

I know a man that is 84 years old.

I can honestly say that he doesn't care a bit about getting

attention as he goes about his daily activities.

His attitude is "been there, done that"

So, not all of us seek out attention.

..Runescape players almost always have a heightened need to seek attention over the general population,

If this were a serious debate then I would ask for you to provide a link

to the psychology study that came to that conclusion.

Otherwise, it's just your personal opinion.

It's more on the level of common sense.

Little twelve year olds sitting at a computer, playing a mindless online multiplayer game getting high levels to have the best character they can

lol, not all RS players are 12 years old.

The (former) long time #1 crafter is a women in her mid 40s...

Honestly, why do you wear that skill cape

But what about the more than 800000 players that can't wear any skill cape at all?

Your comments don't really apply to us then, do they?

It's a general statement for all items that improve ones status, not just skill capes.

Well, you did go on a bit about why players wear the 99 skill cape...

...you, I, everyone wants attention.

You really need to understand that there are players out there with

vastly different life experiences from your own.

And those players may feel contentent with their life, job, finances, family, etc

and not feel any compulsion whatsoever to try and impress a bunch

people playing an online game.

Hehe.

No.

That's not the most articulate response that you could have given.

Would you care to elaborate a bit on your response?

... example of what you all probably are but don't want to admit: though an honest and helpful player, I have more than my share of attention seeking needs in the game.

Sigh...

Some of us have enough complications, stress, and responsibility

in our lives that we don't need to seek attention this way.

Again, everyone, cut the holier than thou crap and be realistic here. Whether it be subconscious or concsious decision making, we all wish for attention in some way or another.

Obviously, some of us have had vastly different "realistic" life experiences than you.

Also, please remember that the topic under discussion is the "claim" that

"People play RS in a manner to get attention"

If you want to talk about the motivations of people in general,

then perhaps you should start a separate topic about that.

I loved being the center of attention, and so do you, so stop denying it and move on.

lol,

friend ,some of us already have (emotional maturity-wise that is)

Cute, insults and denial, all wrapped up so nicely in one line.

Sigh...

It's not denial.

You just need to understand that other people view the world differently than you do.

Resorting to calling me immature every five seconds isn't really helping your arguments people.

I'm sorry, I'm not trying to call you immature but

your comments do indicate a certain "limited" world view...

Resorting to calling me immature every five seconds isn't really helping your arguments people.

I didn't say you're immature, you are very mature for your age.

I dont think we can realy have an argument since we're clearly in differnet phases in life.

Let me tell you this: in a certain point in life you get so much attention in real-life that one thing you dont want in this little MMORPG escapsim is attention.

Peace of mind yes,attention no.

Listen to Goobore (gr8 job m8, keep it going)

And those players may feel contentent with their life, job, finances, family, etc

people playing an online game

then again,i guess only time will persude you

I love how noone has taken up the second part of my first post question yet.

About why do hackers and scammers and liars ect, and what not seek that kind of negative attention that they do...

But whatever...

Read Goobore's post as he makes clear there is a difference between SEEKING attention and GETTING attention, something which is quite inexplicably confusing you. If you are saying you get attention no matter your intention your still wrong, as Goobore pointed out. Seriously at this point its about wrapping this up, your logic loses. You cannot say definitively that everyone playing the game is seeking and/or gaining attention. Just as i can't say every person is empathic and altruistic in their attitudes and intents when playing the game.

I fail to see how im so "inexplicably confused" about something that ive been trying to say this whole time. You cant actually have GOTTEN any attention unless it was SOUGHT after to some degeree in the first place.

Also yet again incorrect. If i ask you to go get me a glass of water. Weather or not you do it is up to you, however either way weather you get me the water or not im still seeking attention from you. If you didnt get me the water then you obviously paid me no attention, however if you did get it then you paid me some attention. Either way im still seeking it weather or not I actually got it is another story in its entirety.

Your right, I cannot, and have not. However the fact still remains that it was sought after at one point. For example with my glass of water. I was thirsty and could care less if I was getting your affectionate/ positive attention, I just wanted a dang drink.

i suppose you're right, on everything except the top comment. i don't garner attention when i'm cahtting with my friends, as i'm talking about things that nobody else would want to talk about, that's why i made these friends. they like to talk about the unordinary, and these conversations usually make people ignore us because we are talking about it. i like to talk about the unordinary because the mainstream "z0mg rares are noobish" just bores me. i'm not trying to attract attention, i'm trying to have an enjoyable conversation. as for these forums, if an enjoyable topic is made, as they are frequently, i will post there. or, if i see something that i disagree with, i will post why i disagree. although the latter is suppose does seem like garnering attention, the former is not. i suppose i get what you're saying now. and the more i think about it, the more it seems logical...

Yes i see how you dont consider talking to your friends to be much of an attempt to get attention as much as you just consider it talking to your friends. But like Ive been saying and I think you now are finally understanding better as to what ive been saying. Is that it it is still in its own degree a form of getting attention.

Also, is anyone gonna explain or try to explain, why people deliberatly or unknowing lie to gain attention? Whatever you think the reason is that they are doing it for...etc...like the second question in my first post points out...like it does above my reply to berb?

Ill be back from work soon to debate this further if anyone can wait a few mre hours. :XD:

tifovsigev3.jpg

Druminator17.png

[Hide=List of Drops That I haven't updated in Years but want to keep in my Sig anyways...]VISAGE DROP - 12/06/07

Whip Drops: (42!!!) Dragon Drops: (90+!!!!!) 2 D CHAINS!, 3 D Axe, 8 D meds, 7 left halfs, 7 D legs, 6 skirts, 8 Spears[/hide]

About why do hackers and scammers and liars ect, and what not seek that kind of negative attention that they do...

But whatever...

I fail to see how im so "inexplicably confused" about something that ive been trying to say this whole time. You cant actually have GOTTEN any attention unless it was SOUGHT after to some degeree in the first place.

Also yet again incorrect. If i ask you to go get me a glass of water. Weather or not you do it is up to you, however either way weather you get me the water or not im still seeking attention from you. If you didnt get me the water then you obviously paid me no attention, however if you did get it then you paid me some attention. Either way im still seeking it weather or not I actually got it is another story in its entirety.

Your right, I cannot, and have not. However the fact still remains that it was sought after at one point. For example with my glass of water. I was thirsty and could care less if I was getting your affectionate/ positive attention, I just wanted a dang drink.

Yes i see how you dont consider talking to your friends to be much of an attempt to get attention as much as you just consider it talking to your friends. But like Ive been saying and I think you now are finally understanding better as to what ive been saying. Is that it it is still in its own degree a form of getting attention.

Also, is anyone gonna explain or try to explain, why people deliberatly or unknowing lie to gain attention? Whatever you think the reason is that they are doing it for...etc...like the second question in my first post points out...like it does above my reply to berb?

Ill be back from work soon to debate this further if anyone can wait a few mre hours. :XD:

Congratulations when two humans interact they generally have each others attention.. which is in noway what your original post seemed to be saying. Your original post to me sounded like ' people are attention hogs, they need attention, the only reason people play Runescape is for attention', what you are saying now is that when two humans interact they are attentive to each other. Again well done thats great you've discovered this. Okay when a person looks at a cow and the cow looks back both are paying attention to the other, so what? what are you actually saying anymore?

When i talk to someone i want them to listen yes, i know this, everyone knows this its self evident because i addressed that person, hooooooooooowever when im playing runescape and im cutting some maples so i can get level 70 woodcutting so i can cut yew trees, how in the name of MUHAMMED is that an attempt to gain attention? If it is a means to get money so i can buy friends/followers then yes, otherwise your argument just fell over.

Edit: if you had read my first reply to your post, you'll see that i attempted to address your point on why people lie.

edit the 2nd: say im walking down the street and someone is being mugged, say i step in and knock the [bleep]er out, i enquire as to wether the victim is alright and arrange for the police to arrive, then someone comes up to me and goes 'hey dude your pretty aweome' I DID NOT SEEK THAT ATTENTION, and if you think people only do things to seek attention then you have a very low view of humanity, probably fired by your view of yourself and your worth.

Strictly staying in Runescape Terms, after more then 5 year playing experience, I gathered a lot of knowledge. Either I know the answer to the question or I am able to find the answer within an hour.

If I am helping a player, my answers are always right or if I get corrected, I am willing to check that and apologize if needed. I seek no negative attention, nor positive. Well the last isn't exactly true. By showing others how much I know, I kind of ask for positive attention.

I think we are all trying our best to look at our best to others. Some are true. But on the occasion people tend to be helpfull, tend to show their knowledge. Due to not knowing the true answer. But just answering for the sake of having a post there. Having their 'knowledge' there.

These are usualy the people that start flaming after they get corrected. (which quite often does happen!) Why? Because they know they are wrong and they are affraid to face that fact. These are the kind of people I wish to ban if I were a moderator. Luckily on tip.it it rarely happens.

But on another forum I use(d).. It is packed with childish people who sometimes post for the soul purpose of flaming. And flaming has only 1 goal: showing you are better (negative attention)

People seek attention as it is our nature. A human cannot survive by itself. He needs others around him and he wants to be part of it. If someone feels 'out of the group' he will start to attract attention. And yes, if the person is inexperienced, they will sometimes do this in a very bad way. The negative kind. It is up to the more experienced ones to explain to him that he is wrong and how he must learn from this. Giving him the knowledge that 'that way' he will get the proper attention he wants. Often they will are not willing to learn, resulting in flaming.

I can't stand flaming. Personaly, I would ban every flamer. But I (and others) must realize, that this is (often, not always) because of their search for a fight. But because of their inexperience. And their unwillingness to learn.

Cheers,

12pure34

34eyfbd.jpg9h43sp.jpg16m28ty.jpg

Well, hackers, scammers, and liars, IMHO, act in a way that

they hope will bring them financial gain in the RS world.

Bringing negative attention to themselves is just a side effect of getting your money.

Or perhaps they stole an account and are trying to deliberately get it banned.

Or, perhaps they are just trolling.

Some people get a laugh out of making other people angry.

...You cant actually have GOTTEN any attention unless it was SOUGHT after to some degeree in the first place.

What about a girl with a beautiful face that goes out to the mall wearing

a boring comfy t-shirt and shorts with no make up. Is she deliberately

trying to get the attention of the boys as she shops?

Just because she's there doesn't mean she's hoping that I'll approach her and start flirting...

~

Ack, this is giving me a headache #-o .

I suppose I overstated (or at least appeared to) my statement that everyone seeks attention, or needs it, in game. Most of what we all do is very subconscious (in the same way that people who aren't racists can still have racist subconscious thoughts), so I will admit that you guys aren't the stereotypical "attention seekers".

So, I suppose I concede that you guys don't outright "seek attention", but I know everyone here likes the feeling, and I'll leave it at that before I spend 2 hours of my day on one topic #-o .

As a side-note: When I said "No" for my response, I was just kind of laughing at your statement that people never seek attention in the game. As players are human beings, that's a fairly risible statement, as no matter how holy and mature someone is, at one point or another in the game they will do an action based on a primary drive for attention (or at least secondary). That's all. It's just that you said "never" instead of "almost never". Eh, oh well. I'm done.

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

... Because they know they are wrong and they are affraid to face that fact...

Yeah, exactly.

On the occasions when I would get into a "flamefest" with an incorrect

player, I actually had a check-list of behaviors that the other guy would

usually go through.

It was actually really funny to see how predictable so many people were.

The most stubborn, well, fools were usually the ones with some very high stats.

(Please, don't start on me for being against "high levels"

After all, you don't know where I am ranked ;) )

I suppose that their ego got in the way of their common sense.

Lower ranked players usually had enough sense to stop posting and bail out.

But some of those higher ranked players would refuse to bail out and

would start to really squirm as their feet were held to the fire longer and longer and longer...

I don't have my list anymore but it was something like:

1) Player posts an error (usually minor)

2) I post a correction

3) Player makes a post saying that my correction doesn't matter

and reaffirms his postition.

4) I post additional details about the truth of the matter

5) Player gets angry, makes lots of typos, and even contradicts himself.

Player then makes some changes to the subject at hand and talks

about how he is right and starts with personal attacks on how I don't know anything.

6) I point out that Player has changed the subject and is now talking

about something else entirely. I also point out the contradictions and personal attacks.

7) Player calms down and then tries a holier than though approach.

He realizes he's in a mess and is looking for a way out.

Usually at this point, the post has all sorts of non-issue related stuff in it.

The Player is trying to divert attention from his original mistake and is

trying to focus on a minute non-issue.

8) Usually at this point the Player is not responding to specific points in

my posts but rather makes vague rambling statements overall like

"You are an idiot and I know it all".

I point out that the Player is once again trying to change the subject

and that his original mistake still stands.

9) Player either goes beserk and a mod locks the thread (deletes it sometimes)

or Players bails out with a comment about "Refusing to talk to idiots anymore"

What is consistant about these sorts of encounters is how the Player

refuses to face the main issue (ignore questions) and tries to change

the subject into something that he can claim to be correct about.

Throw in some personal attacks and/or "Holier attitude" and you've

got some entertainment...

Yeah, exactly.

On the occasions when I would get into a "flamefest" with an incorrect

player, I actually had a check-list of behaviors that the other guy would

usually go through.

It was actually really funny to see how predictable so many people were.

The most stubborn, well, fools were usually the ones with some very high stats.

(Please, don't start on me for being against "high levels"

After all, you don't know where I am ranked ;) )

I suppose that their ego got in the way of their common sense.

Lower ranked players usually had enough sense to stop posting and bail out.

But some of those higher ranked players would refuse to bail out and

would start to really squirm as their feet were held to the fire longer and longer and longer...

I don't have my list anymore but it was something like:

1) Player posts an error (usually minor)

2) I post a correction

3) Player makes a post saying that my correction doesn't matter

and reaffirms his postition.

4) I post additional details about the truth of the matter

5) Player gets angry, makes lots of typos, and even contradicts himself.

Player then makes some changes to the subject at hand and talks

about how he is right and starts with personal attacks on how I don't know anything.

6) I point out that Player has changed the subject and is now talking

about something else entirely. I also point out the contradictions and personal attacks.

7) Player calms down and then tries a holier than though approach.

He realizes he's in a mess and is looking for a way out.

Usually at this point, the post has all sorts of non-issue related stuff in it.

The Player is trying to divert attention from his original mistake and is

trying to focus on a minute non-issue.

8) Usually at this point the Player is not responding to specific points in

my posts but rather makes vague rambling statements overall like

"You are an idiot and I know it all".

I point out that the Player is once again trying to change the subject

and that his original mistake still stands.

9) Player either goes beserk and a mod locks the thread (deletes it sometimes)

or Players bails out with a comment about "Refusing to talk to idiots anymore"

What is consistant about these sorts of encounters is how the Player

refuses to face the main issue (ignore questions) and tries to change

the subject into something that he can claim to be correct about.

Throw in some personal attacks and/or "Holier attitude" and you've

got some entertainment...

i am sorry, but even if you're right, that is a pretty arrogant post. you're pretty much acting like you're always right. i'm not trying to flame you, but that was extremely arrogant of you to write that.

rare%20ghoul2.gif

rare%20ghoul2.gif

... you guys aren't the stereotypical "attention seekers".

I once read in a gamer magazine that MMORPGs typically have 4 "types" of players.

They listed:

1) The socializer.

This is a player thats seeks attention and loves to interact with friends.

Getting money and skills is less important than having fun, being seen, and interacting with others.

2) The scammer and griefer

This is the player that seeks to advance his character at your expense.

He will do it by luring, scamming, hacking, etc.

He enjoys stepping on others for the pleasure of it.

3) The driven

This is the player that grinds out hours and hours to make skill levels.

This is the guy that wants to be in the High scores, have 100 million,

and have a complete party hat set.

4) The explorer

This is the guy that enjoys interacting with the game environment,

visiting new lands, doing all new quests, etc.

My own main is a combination of #3 and #4.

I want to be knowledgable about the game so that I can

be competent in my skills.

As a side-note: When I said "No" for my response, I was just kind of laughing at your statement that people never seek attention in the game.

I don't think that I used the word "never"

Here is what was said:

Hehe.

No.

My statement still stands.

There really are some of us players that consider RS nothing more than

a minor, temporary diversion from the pressures and stress of the real

world.

The last thing that I want to do is to draw attention from some begging noob.

I just want to be left alone to make another 2500 steel plates. Really

at one point or another in the game they will do an action based on a primary drive for attention

Hmm, well on this point I guess that we will agree to disagree.

I really don't give a **** what other players think.

I will treat them kindly and with respect but I'm not gonna spend any

time worrying about what they think.

...It's just that you said "never" instead of "almost never".

Hmm, did I?

Eh, oh well. I'm done.

Me too

everyone likes some attention. but i don't actively go seeking it. a little recognition is nice, when you complete that hard quest and are extremely proud of it, like when i completed desert treasure, or RFD. but i tend to try not to actively seek it. I don't like being in the spotlight.

16574381pm8.png

Yeah, exactly.

... some entertainment...

i am sorry, but even if you're right, that is a pretty arrogant post.

you're pretty much acting like you're always right. i'm not trying to flame you,

but that was extremely arrogant of you to write that.

Well, yeah. I kinda see your point.

It's not like that's how I intended my posts to turn out

but when I stuck to my guns about an issue that's what usually happened.

It usually got bad when the other guy was arrogant and ignorant.

That was always a bad combination.

Now-a-days I try to be kindly helpful instead...

Jesus Christ, Goobore...I already changed my opinion of 'attention seekers' to 'attention gathering/ attention recievers' , you even agreed. I don't know why you're continuing agruing with me...

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

That's completely denying human nature :| .

...It's just that you said "never" instead of "almost never".

Hmm, did I?

Okay, dude, that's just annoying :| :

I.e., "never". Your response logically leaves no room for "feeling a compulsion to try and impress a bunch of people" as you used an absolute negative, just like the term "never".

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

And yet he is right... In my opinion you're missing one key element in this discussion. I've read the whole thread and as far as I remember he has never said that he never seeks attention. The 'fact' of the matter is, not everything in ones life is centered around attracting attention.

Let's take single player games for example, do you think people play single player games to attract attention? I don't think so. They might in some cases, but generally, I don't think so. Now to take an example for multiplayer games, let's say you are walking through a store looking for something you want to buy. Do you honestly care about what everyone in that store thinks of you, or do you care what people thought about you as you were walking towards the store?

I don't want people to think negatively about me, so I make sure I don't stink or go there naked, but I don't do things to make them think better of me. I don't go there in my best clothes so people will think I look good. The same can be the case for runescape. I don't go around saying dumb things to everyone, I don't want them to think negatively about me, but I don't go around seeking attention either.

Now I have to admit (I am not ashamed of this, because I feel there doesn't have to be anything wrong with it) I do seek attention, but not through skills. I just like talking to my friends and if I help someone and they say 'you're awesome' I like that, just like any other human. But, not everyone seeks attention. As an example about myself I take an online fps. It was a game that had almost no single player options, it was designed for multiple players. So I played it online, yet I didn't give an flying donkey about what they thought of me, I played purely for fun, I didn't even talk to anyone. If with this I'm going purely against 'human nature', then so be it, but it does happen.

Oh and Druminator...

You cant actually have GOTTEN any attention unless it was SOUGHT after to some degeree in the first place.

:lol:

Did you actually think about that before you pressed submit? I don't actually have to provide an example on how you are wrong because multiple people have done so already, but I'm still going to because I like attention. \'

You are walking down the street, going to the mall. As you are walking, somewhere in space a satellite explodes due to a strange error. A toiletseat that was inside that satellite comes flying towards earth. When it crashes a tree is thrown through the air because of the impact. The tree crashes into a house, causing the windows to break. One of the shards flies through the air and hits you in the back. You collapse and as people see you on the floor, blood spreading from your body they start running towards you to see if you are hurt. They are giving you attention, while you are not seeking it... Get the point? :P

best-guide-ever.jpg

And yet he is right... In my opinion you're missing one key element in this discussion. I've read the whole thread and as far as I remember he has never said that he never seeks attention. The 'fact' of the matter is, not everything in ones life is centered around attracting attention.

Let's take single player games for example, do you think people play single player games to attract attention? I don't think so. They might in some cases, but generally, I don't think so. Now to take an example for multiplayer games, let's say you are walking through a store looking for something you want to buy. Do you honestly care about what everyone in that store thinks of you, or do you care what people thought about you as you were walking towards the store?

I don't want people to think negatively about me, so I make sure I don't stink or go there naked, but I don't do things to make them think better of me. I don't go there in my best clothes so people will think I look good. The same can be the case for runescape. I don't go around saying dumb things to everyone, I don't want them to think negatively about me, but I don't go around seeking attention either.

Now I have to admit (I am not ashamed of this, because I feel there doesn't have to be anything wrong with it) I do seek attention, but not through skills. I just like talking to my friends and if I help someone and they say 'you're awesome' I like that, just like any other human. But, not everyone seeks attention. As an example about myself I take an online fps. It was a game that had almost no single player options, it was designed for multiple players. So I played it online, yet I didn't give an flying donkey about what they thought of me, I played purely for fun, I didn't even talk to anyone. If with this I'm going purely against 'human nature', then so be it, but it does happen.

Oh and Druminator...

You cant actually have GOTTEN any attention unless it was SOUGHT after to some degeree in the first place.

:lol:

Did you actually think about that before you pressed submit? I don't actually have to provide an example on how you are wrong because multiple people have done so already, but I'm still going to because I like attention. \'

You are walking down the street, going to the mall. As you are walking, somewhere in space a satellite explodes due to a strange error. A toiletseat that was inside that satellite comes flying towards earth. When it crashes a tree is thrown through the air because of the impact. The tree crashes into a house, causing the windows to break. One of the shards flies through the air and hits you in the back. You collapse and as people see you on the floor, blood spreading from your body they start running towards you to see if you are hurt. They are giving you attention, while you are not seeking it... Get the point? :P

[sarcasim]Thats right!

Silly me, I forgot, most people dont want any attention at all in these situations and would rather bleed to death in their house then have people attend to them.

Sorry I forgot that. [/sarcasim]

Maybe you should have turned your question around and asked yourself if you thought about that example before you pressed the submit button.

Yes perhaps others have provided examples that work to prove their case better but however this example does not.

Seriously though, even though Goobore will post now saying how this goes along in accordance to the "8 points of people are wrong and I know what they will do next", this thread like many others on tif is one based on truths that are viewed quiet differently by different people. This I do know is one thing very few people on this thread arent Acknowledging.

tifovsigev3.jpg

Druminator17.png

[sarcasim]Thats right!

Silly me, I forgot, most people dont want any attention at all in these situations and would rather bleed to death in their house then have people attend to them.

Sorry I forgot that. [/sarcasim]

Maybe you should have turned your question around and asked yourself if you thought about that example before you pressed the submit button.

Yes perhaps others have provided examples that work to prove their case better but however this example does not.

Seriously though, even though Goobore will post now saying how this goes along in accordance to the "8 points of people are wrong and I know what they will do next", this thread like many others on tif is one based on truths that are viewed quiet differently by different people. This I do know is one thing very few people on this thread arent Acknowledging.

I agree, I wouldn't like to bleed to death in that situation. But regardless of what I would like, if I were to pass out and people would flock to me to find out if I were alright, would I be asking for attention? I am simply saying that what you said is wrong. And yes, this is my truth, I think I am right. If I am not, please point out to me how I am not. Over the years I have gotten into plenty of discussions with other people because we both thought we were right. When that person would point out to me how I was wrong and I saw and understood how I was wrong I wouldn't mind admitting I was wrong. So please, if I am wrong, point out to me how and if I can understand it, I will admit I was wrong and apologize.

But like I have said, in this case I believe I am right and you are wrong. I can get attention without searching for it in whatever degree, so what you stated is simply not true. Now your little sarcasm tour is a very nice try to make me look stupid, but like you said, you are doing part of that list of Goobore. You are going to a different point, one which I am not interested in exploring. It is not about wanting to get the attention (and thus getting your life saved by people helping you), but seeking it.

Now I would like to say, I am sorry for putting it so bluntly. I realise saying 'did you actually think before you pressed submit?' is not the really a nice way of saying it. But.... You said (I think it was you) that you point out someone's mistake however trivial and that is exactly what I am trying to do here. I just didn't do it in a nice way and I apologize for that.

Edit: I forgot to say one thing in my previous post. Although I didn't agree with you on that one point, I do agree with the rest you have to say Rebdragon. I'm just saying that I think your logic does not apply to a select few, for the other 99.something% it does (like for me). :wink:

Edit2: Doh! #-o

Although I didn't agree with you, I don't mean to ruin your topic or something. I've been going off-topic without really answering your 'strong closer', the kind of attention I seek and why...

Well, I for one don't go around showing my lvls, the only time I tell someone my lvl is when I get asked. I can't honestly say what kind of attention it is that I seek, don't know the word for it. I like it when someone compliments me on a lvl or something, but I don't seek it out. The attention I seek out is in the form of a nice conversation. Besides that I don't really seek out attention. And why do I do it? I like good conversations. :lol:

I can see why people would want to seek recognition, maybe I do too subconsciously. It's nice to be the best at something, it's even better when people confirm it. I just seek recognition in real-life and not in a game, that's all.

As for scammers, liars and the sort. I'm guessing scammers do it for recognition too. The scamming is just a means to an end, it's people that admire their money and armor etc that they seek. As for the liars that won't admit they're wrong, I stick to what other people have said, self-defense mechanism. When they are in a tight spot, they get all defensive and stick to themselves being right no matter what.

best-guide-ever.jpg

I think the point is not so much in do all people want attention or not. The point is more in how they seek it.

It is infact impossible to live without any attention, you could categorize basically any social interaction under attention seeking if you brutally wish to do so. The thing is where is the line drawn between healthy and not so healthy seeking. It is totally normal to try to be good at something. We all try. We can make up all kinds of reasons as to why but mostly it's so we could feel good about ourselves and get some positive feedback. The range of feedback we need is a personal thing, it's not the same for everyone. That largely depends on your experiences in life and your view on things which are both quite dependant on one another.

Attention seeking becomes a problem when it's pushed to the extreme. When it isn't accepteable within social boundaries. For example, lying, boasting arrogantly, putting other people down etc.

Attention comes to you whether you like it or not. There are all kinds of attention. The most basic way to differ them is positive and negative. Whatever you do in life reflects in reactions from other people since you affect them even if it is only the most smallest effect.

If you do things firsthand to feel good about yourself and get attention as a natural process, it's all totally normal and doesn't need any blaming or excuses such as omg you definately seek attention. When it becomes a sick obsession, then we can talk about attention seeking in its negative light. And well if we do talk about the negative version here then there is absolutely no grounds to say everyone does that.

As to why people revert to obsessive behavior is, most basically put, largely because of their life. Maybe he/she is the middle child who like so many of them get less attention normally then older and younger sibling. Maybe his/her parents are workaholics. You never know what's the detailed story behind it. But it is extremely wrong to label someone as attention seeker just because "we all do it" or "oh man you have better stats than me, attention seeker/nolifer/noob".

In any case, all people are different and who am I to say that this person or that one is an attention seeker. If I think so, it's only my view on things not a definite fact. People need to understand this more, whatever you think is not a certain worldwide fact that everyone should accept and think the same way.

Got long and bit blurry but I hope it made a point to someone at least.

sig.gif

i seek attention through my 6+years of knowledge. the only way to prove is with knowledge as i've lost accounts. quite personally i did wish i got a bit of reconition for the work i do etc. basically call me nerd but i prefer knowledge and experience then a giant ego and high levels. though i would at least liked to have got a 99 skill before some heartless git manages to get my account. <.<

Popoto.~<3

Ahhh...now I get it.

Yes, I get this problem with people on the outside world also. And yet, it's so annoying when they think they're right, yet they're not. And the thing is they don't want to stop and listen to you. They go on and on about how they're right, and won't stop for two seconds to think about what you're saying. Very annoying. <.<

same.

they think there right, and there wrong and keeps saying im right, im right, im right, at least, in my experiences.

Shots-Sig.jpg

I like going on my lv 3 'skiller' (havent actually done any training yet, probably never will) and going up to people and saying 'Hi.' :wink:

I normaly have a average convo with them if there polite. But if, like 70% do, say 'go away noob' or 'i'll pwn you in t3h wildy' i switch to my main and just simply tell them to stop being rude etc. :shame:

Then there like ZOMG@@@ free st0f!.... #-o

Costantino.png

No, not at all.

I don't really care what RS players think but

I do care what the general population thinks (real world people).

Within the framework of the RS world we interact as fighters, rangers,

magicians, crafters, buyers, sellers, etc.

That's totally different from standing in line behind some guy at Wal-Mart to buy a donut.

You are mixing up game avatars with flesh and blood people.

I.e., "never". Your response logically leaves no room for "feeling a compulsion to try and impress a bunch of people" as you used an absolute negative, just like the term "never".

The context of this discussion is, essentially, do we play to impress people.

"People", in this case meant other RS players within the RS world.

Somewhere along the line it looks like "People" has expanded to include

"real world" people as well. (See point #5 in a previous post)

So, in case my position is not clear, then I'll clarify it.

I don't play to impress other RS players within the RS world.

I feel no compulsion at all to try and influence the thoughts or attitudes of other RS players.

I feel this way because I have a very full life outside of RS and my

experiences in real life have helped me to understand that RS is just a minor game.

So using the word "never" in regard to the RS would be appropriate.

However, for "real world" events and interactions with family, friends,

neighbors, classmates, etc; then obviously I use a different standard.

In that case, I do care and I act accordingly.

The issue under discussion here (from the original post) involves RS avatars, not real world interactions.