Random things you have always wanted to know

Craiglowery

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When will the world end (If it ends..)? :shock:

the sun will turn off in about 6 billion years, at the rate global warming is going we have less than 100 years before massive flooding and overheating takes place... the list goes on.

If the list goes on,. why stop at two things? I have my doubts about your "list" :-k

I stopped because those are the only things I remembered off the top of my head, someone managed to write a book full of all the ways the world will end and what will happen.

Here are 20 examples for you.

very interesting article, but the last few about divine intervention and "waking up and realizing it was just a dream" is a load of bunk imo.

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

I didn't write any of those, and I barely skimmed the list... some are really odd but others seem plausible...

siggyanimatoin5dtbp3.gif

There are 10 types of people: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Appreciate Bacteria! It's the only form of culture some people have.

The brain's right side controls the body's left, so only lefties are in their right mind.

School!

there's a good question...

siggyanimatoin5dtbp3.gif

The brain's right side controls the body's left, so only lefties are in their right mind.

School!

I thought blue cheese was mouldly cheese? :-k

All cheese has some kind of live culture in it. Bleu cheese (yes, bleu and not blue. The French name is cooler) has blue colored culture shaped like veins in it. It gives it the...pungent aroma. But some bleu cheeses taste awesome. I love the salad dressing and the buffalo wing dip ones, although they often don't have the real live cultures in them.

My questions: How do people know when they're being watched? Some kind of precognition, or sixth sense? (i see live people)

Life is a joke. Yeah, I don't get it either.

If space is infinate, how can it be ever-expanding?

Who decided to squeeze the underside of a cow and drink what came out of it?

If oranges are called oranges because they are orange, why not call bananas yellows because they are yellow?

Why is pee warm?!

Gee, I have a million of these....

it isn't, it's just too big to get to the end.

someone might have gotten the idea from the human process, or seen a calf drinking it.

If oranges are called oranges because they are orange, why not call bananas yellows because they are yellow?

No one knows why names are what they are, just the guy who thought of them. Except when they are from other language roots.

This particular one:

[13th century. Via Old French pomme dÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢orenge , a translation (influenced by Orange , a town in France) of Italian melarancia ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâ¦Ã¢â¬Åorange fruit,ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬ÃâÃ

siggyanimatoin5dtbp3.gif

School!

Why is pee warm?!

Gee, I have a million of these....

haha pee is warm because it comes from the body. The body at all times is 37. something, so you expect it to be slightly warm when it comes out wouldn't you? \'

v.jpg

My guess is Oranges are called orange because the color was named after the fruit. Now days the color orange is everywhere, but think way back to Roman times. Not many things are orange in nature, especially if you live in colder regions like Germany or England. You see a fruit called orange and then the next time you see something of that color, let's say a tropical bird, you say "Hey, it's orange...ish" This soon became the name of the color, just like how describing something as "metal-like" became a word, "metallic"

On the other hand tons of things are yellow in color, such as the sun, corn, urine, and gold. Thus the color yellow got its own unique name.

2003676992682512083_rs.jpg

Well no one answerd my ones before so I have some more :-w

Who has the fastest relfexes in the world and what are they?

What's the most amount of mL of water that someone has drunk before puking? :-#

I went 2,500 mL of water before I gave up on a competition with my friend :uhh:

Tbfgraphx14

Happy to find I'm not the only one who eats glass.

Some radio station had a contest a few months ago, who could drink the most water. The girl who came in second or third place died because she drank too much.

It was on the news and a doctor explained why

cursedtoastsignature.png

Come to #tip-it on Swift IRC, if you're cool

Well no one answerd my ones before so I have some more :-w

Who has the fastest relfexes in the world and what are they?

Water you can drink several gallons of without puking, you would actually get inflammed intestines from "water intoxication" before anything else. Your stomach can pass the water right on to the intestine faster than you can swallow it. Drinking milk in large amounts causes puking since the stomach has to digest it first, with water there is no problem.

Who has the fastest reflexes in the world and what are they?

I sort of answered this in a previous post, it indirectly answers your question:

Spiffy little fact I came across. Okay guys, hang with me, this is actaully pretty interesting but you are going to need a little bit of background knowledge about the different types of nerves works. Prepare for a 45 second crash course on how nerves can work. A nerve picks up a signal at one end and then does a complicated process, I won't get into, then sends the signal out the other end onto the next nerve. However what sends the signal out the end to the next nerve? Well it can be two things. Either:

1)Neuro transmitter chemicals like acetylcholine, these chemicals are released by the cell into the synapse between the cells, and the molecules wander around the open space until the land by chance on the next cell. This method is pretty simple and sort of slow compared to most other body functions (it still happens in 1/100 of a second, but it is by far the slowest part of your nervous system, it's takes up about 99% of time it takes for a nerve to send a signal) But there is another way...

2. Electrical synapse. I'm sure you have all seen the movies where they show the brain and lightning is shooting across everywhere. Yes, these are the "cr̮̬̉̉me de la cr̮̬̉̉me" of cells. These cells are able to create enough charge to shoot mini lighting bolts over to the next cell instead of using those silly neuro transmitters.

Okay so let's review. A nerve cell can either use chemicals (neurotransmitters) or electricity when dealing with passing the nerve signal to the next nerve. The advantages of electrical nerves? Well it's instantaneous, it increases the speed of transmission by almost a hundred fold. Also remember that neurotransmitters are complex chemicals, and a cell only stores so many at once. Meaning neurotransmitter cells can only send a signal so many times before they get tired and need to "recharge". This is one of the reasons why your muscles get tired, the muscles cells are running out of these neurotransmitters and need time to make more.

Some cells can't afford this problem, cells they need to work 24/7. The heart for example, is made entirely of electrical synapse cells so it can run nonstop as long as it has food. Every second the lightning bolts are send across one heart to the other, every second of your entire life.

In addition to heart cells brain cells connected to your conscious self are also electrical, since they need to work without rest. So heart and conscious = electrical, but what about all your other nerves? Well Different people have a different mix of electrical and chemical synapse nerves. What does this mean? Remember electrical nerves have two bonuses, the first being fatigue (which isn't that big of a deal) but the second is Speed. Remember how slow chemical neurotransmitters work? Yea, well, electric ones are instantaneous.

People with even 1% more electrical nerves have substantially better reflexes than the people that don't. Now know what's interesting? Biological historians have traced the bloodlines of famous swordsmen and found that the decedents of people such as Miyamoto Musashi and did tests to determine that these people have extraordinarily high electrical synapse ratios. When most people have 8-12% these people had around 20-30%. The family joked that their grandparents always bragged about being able to do things like catch training spears mid flight and other feats that required incredible reflexes and speed.

There are theories that they was a tribe of humans thousands of years ago that evolved through some event and they all had 100% electrical synapse nerves. There people would have been demi-gods in any form or combat or physical skill, they would not fatigue and they would have reflexes faster than you can even image. You probably think you have pretty fast reflexes, well these people would have had reflexes approximately 90,000 times faster than anyone alive today :ohnoes:.

No one knows what happened to these people, but their genes have been spread out across the globe. People such as Alexander the Great, Genghis Khan, or "King Arthur" all probably possessed a higher concentration of these genes.

Even today, some of us have these genes and some of us don't. Do you win a lot at games like "bloody knuckles"? Do you have fast reflexes? Well chances are one of us at this forum is part of this ancient bloodline and has a higher electrical synapse count... :-s

2003676992682512083_rs.jpg

Ok I have more :oops:

If something is too bright for the human eye, can something be to dark?

How long does it take search & rescue to search 1sq mile?

If you put a sheild in front of your car, could you get the same effect as driving behind a semi-truck?

And why are they called semi trucks anyways?

:P

Tbfgraphx14

Happy to find I'm not the only one who eats glass.

Do our brains every 100% fully delete any seemingly useless information? Or is it physically possible for us to recall any piece of information we've obtained in our long lives, no matter how specific and useless it is?

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

I thought blue cheese was mouldly cheese? :-k

All cheese has some kind of live culture in it. Bleu cheese (yes, bleu and not blue. The French name is cooler) has blue colored culture shaped like veins in it. It gives it the...pungent aroma. But some bleu cheeses taste awesome. I love the salad dressing and the buffalo wing dip ones, although they often don't have the real live cultures in them.

Ok :uhh: lol

What is beyond the universe?

What is beyond the universe?

Possibly an seemingly endless space containing other universes, called the multiverse.

But nobody knows :-$ .

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

Some radio station had a contest a few months ago, who could drink the most water. The girl who came in second or third place died because she drank too much.

It was on the news and a doctor explained why

Haha, radio stations always have the weirdest contests. A station down where i am had a "best moustache" contest. :lol:

Why does eating poultry make you tired?

certain chemicals in the meat cause a hormonal imbalance. Meat is toxic!!

siggyanimatoin5dtbp3.gif

School!

Ok I have more :oops:

If something is too bright for the human eye, can something be to dark?

How long does it take search & rescue to search 1sq mile?

If you put a sheild in front of your car, could you get the same effect as driving behind a semi-truck?

And why are they called semi trucks anyways?

:P

1: a total absence of light, but then you wouldn't see anything

2: maybe find that on the internet somewhere

3: no, because the car now has to push the shield through the air, although cars behind you may get the effect.

4: possibly because the truck has no truck bed, only a hitch for trailers.

And hamsters can swim, in answer to a question on the first page.

PS. poultry makes you tired because of a protein called tryptophan

Fear is your only God

guth8os.gif

walmart44.png