Rubik's Cube: the most diabolical puzzle ever invented

Mischlings

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, how fast are you guys?

I'm around 23 seconds. I was trying to get sub-20 over the summer, but my speed hasn't increased for half a year, probably because I'm too lazy to memorize algorithms.

Are we allowed to post youtube links? If so, I'll post one of my solves later.

mysig31ha.png

I got question for you guys who can do the cube in seconds, did you find out the 'pattern' (I've heard theres a pattern you do to solve some of the parts,) thru a website/friend telling you or by yourself? Because to me, it doesn't count if you found out thru a third-party...

Rubik's Cube is quite challenging, but I wouldn't call it the best puzzle ever...

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Rubik's Cube is quite challenging, but I wouldn't call it the best puzzle ever...

Lion%20King%202493.jpg

?

I personally like sudokus. When I'm reading a newspaper and stumble upon one of them, I can't resist solving it.

Bill Hicks[/url]":dhj2kan9]Since the one thing we can say about fundamental matter is, that it is vibrating. And since all vibrations are theoretically sound, then it is not unreasonable to suggest that the universe is music and should be perceived as such.

heinzny2.jpg

I got question for you guys who can do the cube in seconds, did you find out the 'pattern' (I've heard theres a pattern you do to solve some of the parts,) thru a website/friend telling you or by yourself? Because to me, it doesn't count if you found out thru a third-party...

You don't "do" a pattern. It's just a series of algorithms you follow, doing permutations.

It is near impossible to figure out a cube just by yourself. The first 2 layers are easy. For me, it took an hour or so to figure it out. But getting the whole cube done was way too hard.

I'll have to say this. If you give someone a cube and they solve it without getting any help, check their IQ. It will most likely be very high, probably in the genius category.

mysig31ha.png

Gah, I have a redsox one, and its a lot harder to do cause its hard to tell where each thing goes. My friend solved it in about 3 minutes, and he can solve a normal one in about 60-70 seconds. He tried to teach me how once, I got extremely confused, but I can solve one side :P All I remember from what he taught me is how to solve the white side and something about fish :XD:

Gah, I have a redsox one, and its a lot harder to do cause its hard to tell where each thing goes. My friend solved it in about 3 minutes, and he can solve a normal one in about 60-70 seconds. He tried to teach me how once, I got extremely confused, but I can solve one side :P All I remember from what he taught me is how to solve the white side and something about fish :XD:

Lmao...Sounds EXACTLY like me.

I have a Red Sox one too...It's harder and easier. It's harder because yes, it's kind of confusing unless you know the correct patterns. It's easier because you know you have it wrong if the correct squares are on the correct face, except in the wrong places.

Anyways, my friend can do a normal one in about a minute, and probably can do the Red Sox one in 2-3 minutes. He's tried teaching me, except all he was rather confusing.

(By the way...While I was on vacation, I brought mine along...I kept solving each side, one at a time. Never two at once. Somehow, after a while, I got two sides. Yay.)

I took a look at the site you posted, except I'm still a little confused. Too many U's and F's and DRF's. -.-

doublesmileyface1.png

Cenin pân nîd, istan pân nîd, dan nin ú-cenich, nin ú-istach.

Ithil luin eria vi menel caran...Tîn dan delu.

I believe the most diabolical puzzle ever created was, of course, "The Female".

Rubik's cube is probably in second, though.

Females aren't that difficult to figure out. Apply the right amount of charm and actually care about her and it's easy. =P

Apparently this one has never been in a long relationship! :P

Getting a woman to like you is simple, dealing with them over long periods of time isn't always as easy.

then they hit menopause and its a WHOLE other story man...

ALL Rubik's cubes follow the same pattern, that's how people can easily solve it in under 5 minutes, they know the pattern to the cube and follow it to solve it. I bet you could find it online somewhere... And this goes for brand new cubes, to ones that you have friends mess up for you, no matter how it's scrambled, this pattern applies to it, so I've heard.

Wolfy is Officially Retired.

I miss you all (Well, mostly my friends n stuff)

If you want to talk to me, send me a message, I check the boards daily. :D

I took a look at the site you posted, except I'm still a little confused. Too many U's and F's and DRF's. -.-

That's all the notation of the turns you have to make. It's explained on the site and is pretty easy to learn. It also refers to the edge and corner pieces. It becomes second nature pretty quickly.

Man you ROCKS, even if u follow a specific pattern or algorithm to solve that

It seems that I have got some problems with my cone cells on my retina. I just hate the cube. The changing colours makes me sink

Thanks, and I did use a couple algorithms to do that, but they're pretty much second nature to me now. The changing colors sometimes throw me off, too; I think I'm partially colorblind, so I have trouble with some colors, especially yellow and white.

Dont take apart the rubiks cube and put it back together complete, because it will mess the pattern up, therefore you wont be able to solve it properly, and its also cheating :shame:

As long as you put it together solved, it'll be fine. Problems arise when you don't put it back together solved; 11/12 times it's unsolvable. In fact, if you want to apply a lubricant to the cube so it'll turn faster, you'll need to disassemble the cube at least partially.

If you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.

MischlingsSH.png

Dont take apart the rubiks cube and put it back together complete, because it will mess the pattern up, therefore you wont be able to solve it properly, and its also cheating :shame:

Oh, by the way, LP your signiture is scary :shock:

True, but even though the pieces may be put in wrong, there will only be a maximum of 3 "mistakes."

We should have a race everyone! I'll post a youtube link of me solving the cube tommorow or something.

mysig31ha.png

Ok if you put the cube back together solved then it wont go wrong. I did it this morning, because mine wouldnt solve, so I had to take it all apart and put it back together solved in order for it to work properly.

Oh, and I know that you can put something inside the rubiks cube to make it turn easier/faster. Heres a video of how to do it:

That's all the notation of the turns you have to make. It's explained on the site and is pretty easy to learn. It also refers to the edge and corner pieces. It becomes second nature pretty quickly.

Yeah, I know. It's hard for me to visualize it though...Even with the cube in front of me. Some pictures could help...If that site got pictures, it'd be nice.

I'll try it again later, maybe I'll be able to do it when I'm actually awake, rather than half-asleep.

doublesmileyface1.png

Yeah, I know. It's hard for me to visualize it though...Even with the cube in front of me. Some pictures could help...If that site got pictures, it'd be nice.

I'll try it again later, maybe I'll be able to do it when I'm actually awake, rather than half-asleep.

This page might be better; it uses pictures to give you an idea of what's going on.

On another note, I've solved a 4x4x4 and 5x5x5 and I'm currently working on a 20x20x20 (huge leap, I know). It'll probably be solved over the course of a few days; I'm about 45 minutes in with 9 edges solved and the centers all screwed up. Solving big cubes is fun but insane.

If you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.

MischlingsSH.png

This page might be better; it uses pictures to give you an idea of what's going on.

On another note, I've solved a 4x4x4 and 5x5x5 and I'm currently working on a 20x20x20 (huge leap, I know). It'll probably be solved over the course of a few days; I'm about 45 minutes in with 9 edges solved and the centers all screwed up. Solving big cubes is fun but insane.

Thanks, I'll try it when I have the time.

And in the meantime, I used this. I know everything up to step 5, and can do that much pretty quickly, by heart. But step 5 confuses me...I can' t really hear what he's saying.

doublesmileyface1.png

Wait, 20x20x20 doesn't exist in real life does it? Because I saw a 5x5x5 :anxious:

There are no physical 20x20x20s; the largest they can make is 11x11x11 (something about the inner design) and they've only made as large as 7x7x7. I'm using Gabbasoft to simulate one. I'd have it finished by now if not for the fact that I've lost the saved file twice.

MischlingsSH.png

20x20x20solvepn3.png

My computer crashed twice during the solve causing me to lose 5 hours of progress. Now I'm just in shock.

MischlingsSH.png