Rubik's Cube: the most diabolical puzzle ever invented

Mischlings

(Most recent thread on this subject hasn't been active in 8 months, so I thought it better to start a new one)

During the summer, I decided I'd learn to solve the Rubik's Cube after seeing Smapla's video of solving the 20x20x20 (which is just amazing). I had two (the 3x3x3) and have been fascinated with them for years, but unable to solve them (I'm sure many can relate). Despite the temptation, I never took the stickers off or took the cube apart; I kept on trying. It took a long time, but I finally got it.

Ever since then, I've wanted to get faster with the cube. I don't know how many people here can solve it, but I think it'd be interesting to know what others have to say about the cube.

Peeling the stickers off, painting the sides, putting on new stickers, and disassembling then reassembling the cube don't count, cheaters, :shame:

Also, if anyone has trouble solving the cube, I recommend this site, method 2. If you still have trouble, I could try to help.

Current record: 35.89 seconds See here

If you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.

MischlingsSH.png

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My friend did one once but he used a site and punched in the cube itself and it gave him the answer on how to do it. :P

I remember seeing a video of a robot doing one. That is interesting :-k

I am also interested in how the officials mix up the cube. Any idea?

Tbfgraphx14

Happy to find I'm not the only one who eats glass.

My friend did one once but he used a site and punched in the cube itself and it gave him the answer on how to do it. :P

I remember seeing a video of a robot doing one. That is interesting :-k

I am also interested in how the officials mix up the cube. Any idea?

From what I've read (I think it was on Lars Petrus's site), they use predetermined 40-move algorithms to scramble the cubes, giving each competitor the same cube so no one gets lucky with a less scrambled cube.

If and when Smapla or someone else really good comes along, I'd like some help with the 4x4x4; I can get the centers fine, but the edges usually throw me off. Any help?

If you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.

MischlingsSH.png

*waits for smapla*

I'm not too sure how Smapla's doing, he seems like he got hacked or something. >.> He's been posting things with little grammar, when he usually gets on my case for using the wrong 'they're'.

me and kashi are running for president in '08.

*waits for smapla*

I'm not too sure how Smapla's doing, he seems like he got hacked or something. >.> He's been posting things with little grammar, when he usually gets on my case for using the wrong 'they're'.

if thats the person im thinking of, hes probably trying to solve a 1000x1000

Guess what?

"Rubik's cube (commonly misspelled rubix, rubick's or rubics cube) is a mechanical puzzle invented in 1974[1] by the Hungarian sculptor and professor of architecture ErnÃÆââ¬Â¦Ã¢ââ¬ÃÅ Rubik"

I really love it too. <3:

rickastleywh7.png

I learned how to complete them this year! I was really happy with myself.

I can do them in about 4 minutes. In my opinion it's pretty good.

Oh, kelem_ryu, there are a lot more than one way. :wink:

if thats the person im thinking of, hes probably trying to solve a 1000x1000

*shudders at the thought of how long that would take* Yep, that's the guy.

I once playe around with one (3x3) for a long time and ended up with two pieces in the wrong place. Then i gave up and never (seriously) tried again. I heared there is a technique though.

You can't have just two pieces in the wrong place; they might've been rotated incorrectly, but they can't be in the wrong place unless your cube was taken apart and reassembled incorrectly.

MischlingsSH.png

I've never been able to complete one... It seems some kind of technique is necessary, but then, what's the fun about it?

Oh well, I'll have to learn some day.

This signature is intentionally left blank.

Why does everyone think I got hacked :uhh:

I have no idea what all these comments about my "bad grammar" are about, as unless i'm incredibly tired, I usually do have near perfect grammar...

seriously, someone link me to these topics :-k A friend of mine started bombarding me with personal questions to confirm my identity on runescape :x

oh and good job getting down to 35 seconds over just a summer, that's really quite good.

fishing.gif

I've never been able to complete one... It seems some kind of technique is necessary, but then, what's the fun about it?

Oh well, I'll have to learn some day.

The techniques are pretty easy to learn (at least, learning about 5-6 is easy, 100+ for the best solutions isn't quite as easy); the fun with that is to identify and perform them as quickly as possible.

As for actually solving it yourself (without memorized move sequences), it's quite a bit more difficult, but I've gotten pretty close (when I try that, I won't use any moves that I already know, I improvise as I go).

oh and good job getting down to 35 seconds over just a summer, that's really quite good.

Thanks, when I saw your 20x20x20 solve I thought "This guy is like a god or something"; that inspired me to finally learn to solve the cube.

Question about the big cubes: I see the algorithm in your video for moving the centers, but how do you get the edges in place before that? I always have trouble with them.

MischlingsSH.png

I'm in Budapest right now (the country where it was created!) and the international championships are going to be going on while Im here. It's kind of exciting :D

Everybody hug and spread the love :D

siggypooro0.jpg

I believe the most diabolical puzzle ever created was, of course, "The Female".

Rubik's cube is probably in second, though.

The popularity of any given religion today depends on the victories of the wars they fought in the past.

- Me!

Females aren't that difficult to figure out. Apply the right amount of charm and actually care about her and it's easy. =P

Cowards can't block Warriors.

Females aren't that difficult to figure out. Apply the right amount of charm and actually care about her and it's easy. =P

Apparently this one has never been in a long relationship! :P

Getting a woman to like you is simple, dealing with them over long periods of time isn't always as easy.

The popularity of any given religion today depends on the victories of the wars they fought in the past.

- Me!

Apparently this one has never been in a long relationship! :P

Getting a woman to like you is simple, dealing with them over long periods of time isn't always as easy.

Eh, speak for yourself. =P I can deal with them fine. And I haven't really ever been in a "relationship". At least not one that actually meant anything. The complicated stuff I'm in now is the same as a relationship, but... you know it's impossible to explain like this. But trust me, there's harder things with woman than dealing with them, and wouldn't you know it, that's where I have trouble. =P

Okay, I'm done being off-topic... Ummm... Rubik's cubes are fun?

Cowards can't block Warriors.

It's a hypothetical form of Rubik's cube, except it exists in four spatial dimensions.

Think about it this way:

Faces on opposite sides of the cube are also adjacent to each other. At the same time.