Lunar Magic: Overlooked? (New Info)

TheAncient

I just discovered using "string amulet" (Lunar Spellbook) might be a revolutionary way to train magic. "Magic Imbue" is another handy magic training tactic.

1: String Amulet

Basic Xp/Hour Rates

The spell rate is about 2 seconds per spell.

That means:

3600 seconds/hour * .5 spells/second * 83 xp/spell = 150K xp/hour

To be more conservative, we'll round it down to 125K xp/hour, factoring in banking time. This is still roughly 2 times the alching xp rate.

The only problem, however, is that you need a LOT of unstrung amulets for this to work. It makes most sense to use unstrung gold amulets, as there are massive amounts gold bars due to smelters. The bars typically sell around 175-200 gp each.

Getting the Massive Amount of Amulets

There are 3 options:

1) By yourself, craft gold bars into unstrung amulets.

2) You find unstrung amulets in stores.

3) You start a business to pay people to craft for you.

Here are the responses:

[hide=Option 1, Self Crafting]

You craft roughly 750 Gold Bars an hour (this may be an underestimate, I need someone to confirm). That means your spell rate goes down by 2/3.

The spell rate, if you craft your own ammies, goes down to 41.5K XP/hour. You will also receive 15K crafting XP/hour.

You will be spending:

2 Astrals = 300 GP

1 Gold Bar = 200 GP

Total = 500 GP

Per spell. But you will also be receiving 35 GP per strung amulet, meaning total cost is 465 GP/spell, or 5.6 GP/xp. This cost ratio is the same as using Chaos runes to train.

[/hide]

[hide=Option 2, Buying Your Own Amulets]

This method is inefficient, since there aren't many stores that consistently have unstrung gold bars in stock. But if you can find a large pile, you're in heaven :wink: Possibly looking at 100K xp/hour.

[/hide]

[hide=Option 3, Starting Crafting Business]

You may know from experience that organizing an RS business is hard work. But in this case, it might pay off.

Your crafters will expect the typical, run-of-the-mill Runescaper salary of 200K-300K gp/hour. However, since they are also receiving 30K crafting xp/hour, we can round this down to 175K gp/hour.

Since you craft 750 unstrung amulets (need confirmation) in one hour:

175000/750 = 230 gp/bar

You will need to pay them 230 gp per bar for their labor, in addition to the 200 GP for the bar.

Your total spell costs, therefore, are:

2 Astrals = 300 GP

1 Unstrung Gold Amulet = 430 GP

Total = 730 GP.

Per spell. But you will also be receiving 35 GP per strung amulet, meaning total cost is 695 GP/spell, or 8.4 GP/xp. This is a relatively expensive method of training.

[/hide]

Comparing the Three Methods to Alching

Alching

- XP Rate: 65K/hour

- Gross cost (spell materials):

1 Yew Long = 600 GP

1 Nature Rune = 300 GP

Total = 900 GP

- Money Returned (from alching):

1 Yew Long = 768 GP

- Net Loss:

900 GP - 768 GP = 132 GP/spell

- GP/XP Ratio: 2 GP/XP

Option 1

- XP Rate: 45K/hour

- GP/XP Ratio: 5.6 GP/XP

Option 2

Not considered

Option 3

- XP Rate: 125K/hour

- GP/XP Ratio: 8.4 GP/XP

Conclusion

Alching is used:

- When you want to be away from a bank

- If you have a lot of cash, but don't want to spend a lot for magic

- In conjunction with fletching

- For medium XP rate

Option 1 is used:

- When you don't want to click anything (So what are you going to be doing with yourself in the meantime...?)

- When you want crafting XP

- When you have a medium amount of cash to blow on magic (~60M for 99. Yes this is a lot but you are saving yourself a LOT of effort.)

- For medium XP rate

Option 2 is used:

- When you get lucky and find a stockpile of unstrung gold amulets in a general store.

Option 3 is used:

- If you have good organizational skills

- When you don't want to click anything

- Once Option 3 becomes more mainstream method of training magic

- When you have lots of cash to blow on magic (~100M for 99. Yes this is a lot but you are saving yourself a LOT of effort.)

- For one of the fastest magic XP rates in the game

:-k

2: Magic Imbue

Magic Imbue allows you to do combination runes without the talisman for 15 seconds. How is this useful for magic training?

You can use the Magic Imbue spell even if you're not into runecrafting. The best thing about this spell is that you can use it at any time: it doesn't require any items except for a steam staff and astral runes.

Basic Xp/Hour Rates

Since the spell rate is 15 seconds per spell:

3600 seconds / hour * 1 spell / 15 seconds = 240 spells/hour

240 spells/hour * 86 xp/spell = 20.7K xp/hour

Cost

The Spell Costs:

2 Astral runes = 400 GP

400 GP / 86 XP = 4.65 GP/XP

Why Use Magic Imbue?

At only 20K an hour, this seems like a silly way to train magic. And 4.65 GP/XP is expensive with such a slow method. So how is the spell useful?

Imbue is unique because you can use it anywhere, anytime, and do a wide variety of other things at the same time. Unlike alching, where your character will be busy with the alch for large blocks of time, you can simply press imbue, watch a short animation, and continue with whatever you are doing. Furthermore, the spell only requires 1 inventory slot compared to 2, and you can use that slot of astrals to do something else. The spell also tells you when it's about to run out and running out, so you can time the spells perfectly compared to the guesswork with alching.

Suggestions for thing to do while Imbuing include: Whatever you'd do while alching, RCing, mining, smithing, crafting, using gilded altar to train prayer, merchanting, etc. etc.

In sum: you get a simple, more convenient way to "alch" that requires less gross cost (you don't have to stockpile yews and nats, only astrals), less attention, and gives you more time to do other things.

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

Right, who would blow up 100M for a "fastest" 99 magic? :roll:

Gratz, maybe one uber rich person will lvl up faster thanks to your post. Bye.

-.-

I think it's a very well formulated and thought out thread, the kind we could use more of.

The-Road-2.gif

Siggy By...me! ^^

If you've got any tips on sig making, photoshop in general, or a recommendation on a good DSLR to get me started, pm me =]

You also forget that you save 100 hours of alching. Most high-level people can make 1M/hour.

You also save yourself from 400,000 clicks, and probably carpal tunnel.

sigcopyaf.png

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

Very intresting

But alching gives freedom for me to farm :)

But i think anyone with 100M is buying a godsword right now

But very kool find

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

A lot of people use the water-filling spell to train. They just keep emptying a vial or something then re-filling again with the spell.

shadow7.png

You can find loads of information, such as mini-guides I have written, my laws, and links to my stories here: http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?t=696442

This is a link to the story Council of Oblivion: http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?t=695628

The amulet/hr rate is not that low. It is 2x faster than smelting an inventory of 28 ores. If you assume ores/hr to be 800 (may be incorrect), the amulet/hr rate would be around 1500, counting banking time.

Strangely with WotLK so near, I wished I could delay it a bit to push through that last TBC content in MH/BT :'(.

The amulet/hr rate is not that low. It is 2x faster than smelting an inventory of 28 ores. If you assume ores/hr to be 800, the amulet/hr rate would be around 1500, counting banking time.

That corroborates my findings. 1500 amulets/hour = 125K xp/hour.

sigcopyaf.png

A lot of people use the water-filling spell to train. They just keep emptying a vial or something then re-filling again with the spell.

I have tested this and I don't think the excess clicking is worth the effort. You still get the same xp/hour as alching, just less gross cost and more clicking.

sigcopyaf.png

The amulet/hr rate is not that low. It is 2x faster than smelting an inventory of 28 ores. If you assume ores/hr to be 800, the amulet/hr rate would be around 1500, counting banking time.

That may not be the correct rate for amulets/hour. I just based it on an assumption.

EDIT:

I'll suggest a better way to go about doing it. Buy empty vials, lunar-fill them, sell wfv, repeat until desired results.

Strangely with WotLK so near, I wished I could delay it a bit to push through that last TBC content in MH/BT :'(.

That may not be the correct rate for amulets/hour. I just based it on an assumption.

EDIT:

I'll suggest a better way to go about doing it. Buy empty vials, lunar-fill them, sell wfv, repeat until desired results.

Here's my even better way, (that I have tested but still dislike):

1) Withdraw 28 vials.

2) Drop the two left columns (14 vials).

3) Humidify spell.

4) Pick up vial.

5) Repeat 3, 4 until all vials are filled.

6) Bank.

This way, you still get the profit of WFV, but you don't sacrifice your magic xp rate.

sigcopyaf.png

Most high-level people can make 1M/hour.

A few, certainly not most. :lol:

What, mechants, double-natters? Very little people do that. :lol:

What, mechants, double-natters? Very little peopledo that. :lol:

DKers, GWDers, KQers, stakers, 83+ Slayers. RS's upper class, and it is NOT small.

sigcopyaf.png

What, mechants, double-natters? Very little peopledo that. :lol:

DKers, GWDers, KQers, stakers, 83+ Slayers. RS's upper class, and it is NOT small.

So what, around 5-10% of the p2p population? Not a lot of people at all. Also, if they can do 1m/hour, doesn't mean they will do it. Also, it doesn't mean they are willing to spend their hard-earned money, 100 hours of their life, in getting a faster 99 magic.

a LOT of people, actually...

But lunars is highly underused. You can tell when you walk around with a giant ball of lightening over your head from using superglass make :wink:

Good formulas in there...another part that would be a pain is selling all the amulets that you've made to general stores.

And you know that because...? You don't, you assume people would, but you don't know.

And you know that because...? You don't, you assume people would, but you don't know.

Know what you're talking about before you post. Don't react to this, or it will start a flame and it would be a crime to all the magic trainers for this post to get locked.

AND in any case, to get to 1-99 you will consume 200K gold bars, making a LOT of smithers happy. Even one or two people using this will help out a lot of smithers.

But lunars is highly underused. You can tell when you walk around with a giant ball of lightening over your head from using superglass make :wink:

Good formulas in there...another part that would be a pain is selling all the amulets that you've made to general stores.

Forgot to add that in #-o ... You can sell around 30 a second (using the single-button method (don't use a programmable mouse, Jagex will pin you if you use it for something repeated like this)), or about 108K amulets /hour. You can also just sell them all for a noob to sell. And if this really does become a veritable business, I'm sure selling the leftover ammies will also become a business.

I should really stop arguing with Ichimaru, it's pretty pointless.

sigcopyaf.png

another good reason to go for the quest to get lunars! :thumbsup:

Don't you know the first rule of MMO's? Anyone higher level than you has no life, and anyone lower than you is a noob.

People in OT eat glass when they are bored.

You're an idiot.

Nice find, and you're right, there are some spells (some..) that have been unexploited in the Lunar Magics spell book; and this is one of them. Definitely a god way to train, and this an alternative to crafters (crafting hides gets VERY boring after awhile..). I like this idea, might try it out some time. :)

halo2sigcj2.png

Thanks Jason321 for the sig!^

Proud to have served the Tip.it Crew

Drops: 2x D Chain, 1x D Legs, 2x D Left Half, 1x D spear, 2x D med (monsters), 5x D Med (Barrows), 4x D Axe, 2x Zerker, Abyssal whip x1, 7x D Boots

Barrows items: 55 (not counting the meds)