Player Moderators-Good or Bad?

axeraider194

i'm absolutely fine with p mods, except when you see this:

goldeliteve0.png

This is just ridiculous, i would agree it should be experience as well, otherwise you just go to fally world 2, report everyone whos typing with loads of effects really fast and wayhey, you're a p mod. There's no reason for someone who cant have been playing longer than 1 year to become a p mod.

ive seen a lvl 30 mod who didnt know where yanille was, with NO stats ranked. (im sure they really deserved to be pmod on their second week of playing, DONT give me an "omg they could be a nice guy" excuse, their words to me where "omg noob wont take me to yanille lucky u arent speaking or id mute" and "ill report for macroing if you dont speak" (i reported them for abuse)

pmods shouldnt have been added in, or if they where, maybe in a highly top secret way and no crown, the current pmod selection way is horrible. some pmods are fine but i hate it when pmods think they are higher than other people, i generally dont talk ingame and i hate it when pmods act like im "Being suspicious" or try to boss me around because i dont want to speak to them. i also HATE the ones who basically dedicate their time on rs to reporting people, and analysing everything people say then questioning them about it, seriously who do they think they are, a [bleep]ing detective or something? thank god for clan chat and being able to have a conversation without random people jumping in while knowing nothing, seriously though i dont get why people except the ones involved in the activity care about last night's pking or w/e im talking about. . basically some pmods ive seen need to learn to stop acting like rs police and start playing the game, ALOT are ok though and just play as normal.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My experience of P-Mods to date has been positive ... not that I've seen many.

There were comments earlier about whether the crown is actually needed, so let's briefly look at why the crown might be there:

- To show that when you are asked to do something (like shut up), you should listen to that person

- To make the person feel good when people notice they have a silver crown

- To help them get better trading deals

Ok, so the last 2 aren't likely to be reasons for the silver crown.

I think the idea that P-Mods are more hidden could be a better way to do it. Maybe a way for them to flag a message as 'Warning' which would then include a 'I'm a P-Mod, listen or feel my wrath' tag like a silver crown. Otherwise they just look like regular players.

Something else that P-Mods can be seen as, is a free resource to help you. I don't think it is the primary purpose of a P-Mod, so why not have the ability for someone to flag themselves as 'willing to help' and have a marker in their in-game name ... like a clown face. That way, people needing help can find someone who is generally willing. Just a random thought I had ...

WARNING: Prone to ramble ... but you probably already know that!

truffoo.png

1% F2P : 99% RL

Get rid of that white crown, and I bet a lot of "attention horny" current player mods will not be so proud anymore.

The best proof that player mods are a joke now is the fact that a lot of people have in their signature "Player mod".

Also, I know a lot of people who have been playing for 6 years now, never had a black mark but still havn't been modded. Nothing wrong with that, but if some low ranked -not knowing anything- people get it, I find it funny.

signature4s.jpg

i think the mods dont really do that much.

Their just like cops, if u see them u behave youreself good and when their gone u dont.

their just to make people scared . so they dont do mute things.

Their just their for warning and reminders of the rules.

"Why should i fear Death!?""I know the guy !"

Love gives you courage, being loved gives you strength

hasero.png

As a player moderator myself, let me clarify some things first.

Firstly, player moderators are NOT chosen for their stats and experience for the game. But they do need to know the rules WELL, and follow and abide by them all the time. You can always learn about Runescape when you play the game, but following the rules is not something that can be learnt. Some players may know the rules well, but if they decide not to follow it, they won't be chosen as a mod, no matter how GOOD they are at skilling and bringing up their stats.

Secondly, player moderators have strict guidelines to follow, and their mutes and reports are in accordance to that guideline. I can understand why players don't know why moderators take certain actions, but please remember, ALL player moderator actions are closely monitored by Jagex Staff, and any wrong actions will NOT have any consequence on the player reported. If a player moderator starts abusing his/her powers, they WILL be removed in no time. If you are muted and got a black mark as a result, most likely you DID do something against the rules, although you may not realise it.

Thirdly, player moderators' crowns are NOT a sign of power or authority. They are there to help players recognise the individual player moderator and get the help they need. The crown cannot be removed, as it can allow scammers to impersonate player moderators, and no one can tell whether or not one is a player mod or just a scammer trying to cause trouble by impersonating as a player mod. Sadly, many players do see it as a symbol of authority, honour, fame. These players often want this role for the muting ability and tools, and are certainly wanting it for the WRONG reasons. Most likely, those players who want it for the power will NOT hold their position for long before they start abusing it.

Fourthly, being a player moderator is NOT an honor, not a way to gain respect or fame. Yes, it's no doubt that player moderators are respected, but what are they respected for? Their position or their character? If you respect them for their silver crown and so called "powers", then you are TOTALLY WRONG. "With power comes responsibility", a player moderator is a RESPONSIBILITY, NOT a position to boast about. Many players don't realise that player moderators have to give up lots of other things for their position. They think that this role will only allow them to GAIN, but they don't know that they will have to GIVE UP other privileges for it as well.

Fifth, a RULE IS a RULE. Joking about the rules is IN NO WAY tolerated. I don't know how many times I have to say this, but many players just don't seem to know that the rules are NOT there for fun, and certainly NOT for you to joke about. Runescape IS a game, but it is a game played by REAL LIFE PEOPLE, NOT robots. When there are real life people, RULES/LAWS are needed for the community to survive.

What I find interesting is that most players have a good level of expectations for player moderators, but they can't behave the same way they expect player moderators to behave. Is it right to set standards for others when you can't even MEET these standards yourself? I think it's not fair, and it's not right. If you want others to behave in a certain way, YOU should set an example first.

RS Player Since 2006

Ltfairy.png

Firstly, player moderators are NOT chosen for their stats and experience for the game. But they do need to know the rules WELL, and follow and abide by them all the time. You can always learn about Runescape when you play the game, but following the rules is not something that can be learnt. Some players may know the rules well, but if they decide not to follow it, they won't be chosen as a mod, no matter how GOOD they are at skilling and bringing up their stats.

Secondly, player moderators have strict guidelines to follow, and their mutes and reports are in accordance to that guideline. I can understand why players don't know why moderators take certain actions, but please remember, ALL player moderator actions are closely monitored by Jagex Staff, and any wrong actions will NOT have any consequence on the player reported. If a player moderator starts abusing his/her powers, they WILL be removed in no time. If you are muted and got a black mark as a result, most likely you DID do something against the rules, although you may not realise it.

Thirdly, player moderators' crowns are NOT a sign of power or authority. They are there to help players recognise the individual player moderator and get the help they need. The crown cannot be removed, as it can allow scammers to impersonate player moderators, and no one can tell whether or not one is a player mod or just a scammer trying to cause trouble by impersonating as a player mod. Sadly, many players do see it as a symbol of authority, honour, fame. These players often want this role for the muting ability and tools, and are certainly wanting it for the WRONG reasons. Most likely, those players who want it for the power will NOT hold their position for long before they start abusing it.

Fourthly, being a player moderator is NOT an honor, not a way to gain respect or fame. Yes, it's no doubt that player moderators are respected, but what are they respected for? Their position or their character? If you respect them for their silver crown and so called "powers", then you are TOTALLY WRONG. "With power comes responsibility", a player moderator is a RESPONSIBILITY, NOT a position to boast about. Many players don't realise that player moderators have to give up lots of other things for their position. They think that this role will only allow them to GAIN, but they don't know that they will have to GIVE UP other privileges for it as well.

Fifth, a RULE IS a RULE. Joking about the rules is IN NO WAY tolerated. I don't know how many times I have to say this, but many players just don't seem to know that the rules are NOT there for fun, and certainly NOT for you to joke about. Runescape IS a game, but it is a game played by REAL LIFE PEOPLE, NOT robots. When there are real life people, RULES/LAWS are needed for the community to survive.

What I find interesting is that most players have a good level of expectations for player moderators, but they can't behave the same way they expect player moderators to behave. Is it right to set standards for others when you can't even MEET these standards yourself? I think it's not fair, and it's not right. If you want others to behave in a certain way, YOU should set an example first.

WHAT'S with THOSE big words YOU keep USING? you can type normally you know.
I posted here.

ftw.

WHAT'S with THOSE big words YOU keep USING? you can type normally you know.

I capitalise to stress on these words, please pardon me.

RS Player Since 2006

Ltfairy.png

Wasn't it a rule not to say in public you're a player mod?

Bla bla bla. Nice words but no sence in them. I saw some player mods with a game intelligence of a carrot, if you want to become a quick player mod all you have to do is report some autoers/scammers and you're it. I never reported an autoer, scammer etc. in RS2, and look, I'm not a player mod. I follow the rules, I never had black marks and I play since 2001. Also, my friend, same thing. Player mod doesn't has a [cabbage] to do with how you act, it's just about having no black marks (or almost no) and report like a freak.

I start to believe you really think JAGeX follows up the player mods closely. How many would there be, about 3-5K player mods? YOU tell ME (to use capitals myself now) HOW ON EARTH JAGeX would manage to follow you guys up closely if they can't even have a decent costumer support.

This is crap. Why not have the crown be removed? Without crowns everybody could say he's a player mod. OH DEAR HOW DANGEROUS. If you fall for that you shouldn't play the game. Make player mods without a crown, let them hand in a montly essay about what their views are and I think many of the "white-crown horny" bunch will soonly retire.

Nice political talk, but I know one thing. You like that white crown, so do I, but atleast I admit it. It's nice to be one, but again the crown makes it very attractive for people who only wanna do it for it.

signature4s.jpg

Wasn't it a rule not to say in public you're a player mod?

Yes, it's a rule for the RSOF, not a rule on fansites. Please don't confuse yourself.

Bla bla bla. Nice words but no sence in them. I saw some player mods with a game intelligence of a carrot, if you want to become a quick player mod all you have to do is report some autoers/scammers and you're it. I never reported an autoer, scammer etc. in RS2, and look, I'm not a player mod. I follow the rules, I never had black marks and I play since 2001. Also, my friend, same thing. Player mod doesn't has a [cabbage] to do with how you act, it's just about having no black marks (or almost no) and report like a freak.

You said "I saw some player mods with a game intelligence of a carrot", would you kindly give an example please? Because I have a feeling that you are exaggerating what you say.

I have to tell you this, I NEVER EVER spent my time in game just to report macroers/autoers/scammers before I was a mod. I don't go hunting for rule-breakers either. I report as and when I SEE them.

Yah, you may not have black marks, you might not have broken the rules. But does that necessarily make you a suitable player mod? No. I know that many players are following the rules, but I also know that many of these players are not mature enough for the role, neither do they have the right attitude for the role. A player may follow the rules well, but does that mean they are mature in their thinking? A player may follow the rules well, but does that mean they can control their emotions well? A player may follow the rules well, but does that mean they have good judgement? A player may follow the rules, but does that mean they want to become a player mod for the RIGHT reasons? Following the rules is just NOT enough, it's an important aspect yes, but it's not the only aspect.

Let me just add another point here. A player is chosen to be a mod for being responsible. It's not just being responsible in following the rules, it's also being responsible for your items and account security.

I start to believe you really think JAGeX follows up the player mods closely. How many would there be, about 3-5K player mods? YOU tell ME (to use capitals myself now) HOW ON EARTH JAGeX would manage to follow you guys up closely if they can't even have a decent costumer support.

First, let me tell you, all our reports and mutes are reviewed by Jagex Staff. It's a fact, whether you want to believe it or not.

I can't tell you the exact information since it's confidential, but Jagex does monitor every player moderator using various methods. While they may not be able to do it fast enough, they will be able to do it without any hindrance. Believe me, Jagex Staff are much more capable at such jobs than you really think.

This is crap. Why not have the crown be removed? Without crowns everybody could say he's a player mod. OH DEAR HOW DANGEROUS. If you fall for that you shouldn't play the game. Make player mods without a crown, let them hand in a montly essay about what their views are and I think many of the "white-crown horny" bunch will soonly retire.

So you're saying that a player should not play the game if they are not careful? While it is their fault, but is it right to deny their right to play the game totally?

You don't know and won't know how dangerous it can be, so don't underestimate it.

"White crown horny"? How many player mods are like that? It seems to me that you are implying that majority of them are corrupt, which is totally incorrect. You don't have to worry, those player mods who are corrupt will have their status removed in no time, and they are in no way tolerated when they do so.

Nice political talk, but I know one thing. You like that white crown, so do I, but atleast I admit it. It's nice to be one, but again the crown makes it very attractive for people who only wanna do it for it.

You may like the crown now, but when you really become a mod, you would think otherwise. Seriously, the amount of abuse I face because of the crown outweighs the good that it brings by a lot.

What I said above is NOT a political talk, it's my personal opinions from my experience as a player mod. It's up to you to believe it, but I can say this, my conscience is clear.

RS Player Since 2006

Ltfairy.png

Honestly, I don't notice them doing anything at all.
Then it's all the way it has to be, ones doing their job silently on the background. :roll:

But these questions, in most points, regular players can't give appropriate answers to these. Just the way how it seems for them (unless they are very good friends with a few corrupt P-Mods)

Most are good but some are (insert words here). Like this one....

*pic*

remember, mods are human players, human players can get hacked. that's probaly happened to thousands of normal players, is it worth it to rant about them?

as for ltfairy's opinion, i'd fully agree for the same reasons. it's quite annoying that you're put on a seperate standard from other players because of a silverey crown by your name.