Are We (Runescapers) racist?

chariot

Ever notice, while you're mining some coal or mith in the miner's guild, or when you're chopping yews in a secluded area, that it bothers you more if a lower lvl beats than if a higher level beats you. I've noticed that I often do this, and in general assume the best about higher lvls and the worst about lower lvls. Instead on discriminating based on skin color or ethnicity, we base our opinions of people on their lvl. Just post if you feel I'm right or wrong with a well-though out argument. I'd love to hear y'alls opinions on this, so post away :)

xchariotx.png

"One has not only a legal, but a moral responsibility to obey just laws. Conversely, one has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws."-Martin Luther King

"The Kingdom of God is anarchy"-Nicolas Berdyaev

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a little disappointing when i've worked forever to get 72 mining and some lvl 40 comes along with his 30 mining and gets the coal first, but you gotta realized its part of life. In reality, everyones racists to some degree, if you simply think to yourself "i don't like that" or "I don't like that person" you are being "racists" because they have a trait you don't like.

BUT, in this case i'm more disapointed that (seemingly) there isn't much differnce in mining time for these two lvls.

It could be argued both ways, but i feel it isn't racisms

>>MATT<<

insane-1.png

Well, there's a whole anti-nonhuman organisation in the game so I assume there IS racism.

Bias towards other players exists also.

"300 programmers make their futile but glorious last stand against 1000000 angry players in The battle of Misthalin. They fight for honor, glory and new content sacrificing themselves so that their game may live on. This is Madness! This Is JAGEEEX!"

Lower levels are not born lower levels. They are not part of a different "race" therefore this isn't racism. All players have the same opportunities ingame some use them more than others; that's all.

However this oculd be considered discrimination, but it's once again, the "low level" is not fated to remain a lower level his entire life so i don't think this is discrimination as we know it so to speak.

76th to reach 99 Construction on 6th of February 2007

379th to reach 99 Runecrafting on 4th of November 2007

BlueSig6.jpg

Finally the secrets of goal achieving are revealed! (give my guide a read :^_^: )

Matt, while I sympathize with your problem (trust me, i've been there myself), I don't think you quite understood the point that I'm trying to make with this topic. Here's a personal example of what i'm saying: when I go to world 1 or world 3, I see alot of players with santas. If I see a higher level, I think "wow, he must have worked really hard to be able to afford that". But if I see a much lower level with one, my first thought is "Noob! I bet he scammed or macroed or merchented to get that! He couldn't possibly have gotten it playing or skilling like a regular player."

I hope that clears things up for you

xchariotx.png

"One has not only a legal, but a moral responsibility to obey just laws. Conversely, one has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws."-Martin Luther King

Point taken Solidus, racism is probably not the best word to describe what I'm talking about, but I'm not sure there's any better way to describe it. Anyones who falls into the class of 'lower cb level', while they won't remain there forever, is in general looked down upon and assumed to be 'bad people' and the opposite is true for say a lvl 110. The reason is used the word racism is because in rl certain assuptions are made based on the color of one's skin, while in runescape certian assuptions are made based on one's combat level.

xchariotx.png

Ok, I can see where your coming from, but you gotta realize what your saying is that you assume they got it illegally, but thats not racist, if you see a bumb on the street with ragged clothing and they are holding a genuine rolex watch you too automatically think they stole it, but does that make you a racist? The exact definition from webster is : a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.

This isn't dealing with race, it IS discrimination, the example provided is discriminating against lower lvls with santa hats.

IF this is the question, then yes RS is very discriminant, and 90% of the NPCs are as well.

>>MATT<<

insane-1.png

Everyone's a little bit racist

Sometimes.

Doesn't mean we go

Around committing hate crimes.

Look around and you will find

No one's really color blind.

Maybe it's a fact

We all should face

Everyone makes judgments

Based on race.

Today.

So, everyone's a little bit racist

Okay!

Ethinic jokes might be uncouth,

But you laugh because

They're based on truth.

Don't take them as

Personal attacks.

Everyone enjoys them -

So relax!

If we all could just admit

That we are racist a little bit,

Even though we all know

That it's wrong,

Maybe it would help us

Get along.

It's true.

But everyone is just about

As racist as you!

If we all could just admit

That we are racist a little bit,

And everyone stopped being

So PC

Maybe we could live in -

Harmony!

triforceelf.png

Another person using the word "racist" incorrectly. Racism is discrimation between RACES, not levels or whatever you decide for it to be.

Racism:

1. a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.

2. a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.

3. hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.

Races= Caucasian, asian, indian, black, and so on.

2480+ total

That's not racist...that's levelist...

I am not a levelist one bit. With all the skillers and merchanting and all, one can become extremly rich at such a low level.

I agree, at one point early in our RuneScape playing time we were levelists, but when we understood other methods we then knew a low level can be the same as a high level.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

I'm not racist, I own a color tv...

What' s a colour tv?

RSN:Mico1311 Combat: 82 Highest skill: Fishing 75 Playing time: From around August 2003

The guy in my avatar is Veso, a comedian mastermind.

I'm not racist, I own a color tv...

What' s a colour tv?

A television that has colour instead of black and white.

Hmmm...dang, guess I chose the wrong joke. Ah whell.

On topic, what has this to do with racism?

RSN:Mico1311 Combat: 82 Highest skill: Fishing 75 Playing time: From around August 2003

it's quite odd that half of the internet itself has no idea what the word "racist" means, really. it's become as common as 'noob' on forums in general...

players are more elitist, and hurl down insults on anyone they don't think fits their ideas.

About racism. Agreed, it seems a lot of people are confused of the difference between "discrimination" and "racism".

About elitism, this is true to a certain extent. The people who belittle lower levels are people who are high, but not quite the highest so they take out their jealously by picking on someone lower than them.

Otherwise, people who are genuine elites will only act that way if they are provoked.

BlueSig6.jpg

Finally the secrets of goal achieving are revealed! (give my guide a read :^_^: )

Actually, Golden Elites tend to attack even if you dont see them coming, and you rarely do you see stealthed elites before they attack.

Not quite sure i get the metaphor :|

BlueSig6.jpg

The point has been made several times 'what does this have to do with racism?' and those who made it are absolutely right. Racism was an incorrect and excessively poor choice of words, and I'm going to have a mod change it to 'instinctive dislike of low levels? why or why not?' (i know it's not that good, i just don't want to have a misleading title anymore) Again I apologize for grossly misusing the word 'racism'.

xchariotx.png

The point has been made several times 'what does this have to do with racism?' and those who made it are absolutely right. Racism was an incorrect and excessively poor choice of words, and I'm going to have a mod change it to 'instinctive dislike of low levels? why or why not?' (i know it's not that good, i just don't want to have a misleading title anymore) Again I apologize for grossly misusing the word 'racism'.

You can do it yourself, this is not the RSOF.

It's more of a misconception among the masses that needs to and asap. Just change racism to discrimination, also we have been responding to the question at hand.

BlueSig6.jpg

Since it has been done, I will avoid repeating the obvious.

I do believe we, as a whole, classify people by level. I just witnessed a major fight (verbal) between 4 people level 83-96 and 1 level 38. The lower level was called everything from noob to autoer, and fought back with no-lifer, loser, etc.

Eventually, I told them all they were making themselves look like complete idiots and then they turned on.