Money skills--Taking over runescape?

axeraider194

I've been a long time rs player since 2002, and i've noticed that over the years, people are finding more and more ways to try to cut down getting free xp, and turn it into paying for xp instead.

Fletching is a prime example of this.

Not less than a year ago, you could buy 1k strings, 1k yew logs, make them into bows, and then sell for a 100-150k profit.

Now, you can sell your bows for a 50k profit if lucky, and the profit margin just keeps on narrowing as time goes on.

Other examples of whats mentioned above are:

-Cooking (Sharks, lobs, monks etc)

-Herblore

-Crafting

-Rcing (pure ess at 100 ea, nats at 300 ea, leaves 200gp profit, it can only get lower)

-Smithing

-Ranging (Bone bolts being the exception, thank god)

-Magic

-Farming (Ranarr seeds, snap seeds, watermelon+sweetcorn seeds..)

And yet when an option comes out to train these skills, in a good way, for free (bone bolts, yak hide shop "bug") everybody becomes angry, and thinks that it MUST be changed, just because it doesn't require money (or much money) to train.

Your opinions?

axeraider194.png

it's just the evolution of the game. New methods are invented, people find new uses for certain goods.

PS: nat crafting is still an amazing moneymaker even if it's just 200 gp profit each time.

76th to reach 99 Construction on 6th of February 2007

379th to reach 99 Runecrafting on 4th of November 2007

BlueSig6.jpg

Finally the secrets of goal achieving are revealed! (give my guide a read :^_^: )

Fletching's profit margins haven't been decresing due to a new attitude towards training skills. Contant macroing crackdowns by Jagex on both flax pickers and yew log cutters have meant there is less supply of these vital goods in the market, meaning prices have risen according to supply and demand. The high alching value of the bows hasn't risen simultaneously, however, so the amount magers are willing to buy the bows hasn't changed much.

In short, it costs more to make the bow which sells for the same price as before, so the margin decreases.

I can still get a good 40GP per bow though. That's pretty good money, and a free skill, whatever way you look at it.

it's just the evolution of the game. New methods are invented, people find new uses for certain goods.

PS: nat crafting is still an amazing moneymaker even if it's just 200 gp profit each time.

Hunter at the moment is still a good moneymaker aswell.As solidus says as the game evolves so do the methods and peole are becoming more and more richer because of autoers and all the raws entering the market

tifsdac6mc.gif

That's what happens when you make a skill too easy to train. People start demanding the raw materials so they can get the 99, and the end product ends up with a huge oversupply. Supply and demand dictates that large supply and unchanged demand will result in lower prices, and high demand and unchanged supply will result in higher prices for the materials.

Fortunately, RuneCrafting is too much of a difficult skill to train to 99 for many people to go for that level. Yes a year or more ago before pure ess the profit margin was 260 per ess, and now it's 200, but that was soley because of the update. Since then pure ess has remained stable at around 100 gp each, and nats around 300 each.

I have to disagree with OP. The margin of profit on these skills is what you make it. If you are a mindless follower, then yes, you will be paying 360 (current price) per yew, 200 per bs, 300-350 per nature.

But did you ever think that there are people out there who sell for less, be it because they dont know price, or dont care, or are simply desparate for money?

In last week ive bought 1000's of yews and bs and I paid 250 pew yew and 100 per bs. Natures are even easier to get at 200-250 each.

It is the players choice if they want to be ripped off or rip off. If you know how to "shop" you can get bs, nat, and yew for 600 gp total and yield a 162 profit. My 85 fletching gave me nothing but profit.

Next, herblore:

This skill is a gold mine as long as you have a mild form of intelligence. Did you know that you can buy all 2nds at 500 each, or less? On top of that you can get ALL herbs at 1k each - or less. As I went from 76 to 81 herblore I made a few mil profit on top of so much free ex.

Once again, the amount of money you gain or lose depends strictly on your ability to purchase the supplies that you require. If you wonna be a mindless follower and pay the prices everyoen else pays and not look for a better bargain then you have no room to complain about the increase in prices. People only charge more when they see that buyers are willing to pay it.

Game Name: Ego Scorpion

Party Hat Sets: 4

Bank Pictures: http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?t=712645&start=0

ego_scorpion.png

Wow really? When i last played it was 300 ea :shock: I guess a lot of people alch yewbows then??

world2isntthathardby4.pngI think merchanting is extinct....

lordofthehauntedminestextcb6.png Completed haunted mine at level 75.

Barrows Drops: Dh platelegs, Guth helm, Karils cb, Torags legs

-------------RETIRED------------------

Jagexs' crackdown on bots has brought a large increase in raw materials that auoers collect eg flax and yew logs. This has caused bow string prices to rise to about 200 ea when 2 months ago they were 180each.

Alot of people like the easy option and now alot more people have large quantities of money then can afford to buy their items already made uo so they can train from them.

Sn'C Events Team Member

2v2bjuq.jpg

pixel-sig-1.gif

942nd to 99 hunter 2/8/07|26,042nd to reach 99 fletching 27/10/07|Quest Cape Achieved 22/1/08|50,000th to 99 Cooking 29/10/08

Dagannoth King Drops: 7 Zerkers 2 Axes 3 Warriors | Armadyl: 1 hilt first ever trip and kill | Barrows: 2 Dharok Legs 1 Ahrim Skirt 1 Torag Helm 1 Guthan Spear

Wow really? When i last played it was 300 ea :shock: I guess a lot of people alch yewbows then??

well nats are 300 each. The key word is profit: (as in, price of nat minus price of pure ess) so 300 - 100 = 200 gp profit per rune.

76th to reach 99 Construction on 6th of February 2007

379th to reach 99 Runecrafting on 4th of November 2007

BlueSig6.jpg

Finally the secrets of goal achieving are revealed! (give my guide a read :^_^: )

I think that what you're saying is true. The rs market has evolved and its prices are completely over the top, but you can't forget that they are like this because of all the latest updates JAgex has made in the game. An example of this is the God Wars.

So the prices go up, but if you think it through, Jagex has been giving us players more means of also making that money back - the only different is it's more and more based on luck than a steady income.

bottomsupsiggyori.jpg

Runescaper since June 2005

Blog

i think most people can't be bothered with collecting their own supplies

but want the exp from using up the supplies.

Hence, money payments are made for the supplies

This might hurt some people in the economy who decided they were going to make money on fletching and cooking or herblore.. maybe even smithing, but they still can as long as they collect the supplies themselves.

Scrd_Silence.png

well nats are 300 each. The key word is profit: (as in, price of nat minus price of pure ess) so 300 - 100 = 200 gp profit per rune.

Ah k. Damn that tempted me to get back members just then lol.

world2isntthathardby4.pngI think merchanting is extinct....

lordofthehauntedminestextcb6.png Completed haunted mine at level 75.

Barrows Drops: Dh platelegs, Guth helm, Karils cb, Torags legs

-------------RETIRED------------------

actually the trend u said seems a bit off to me. since u mentioned playing since 2002, back then ANY buyable skill will make u lose money, instead of making profit due to high price of supplies. there are exceptions, like being the top smither (bluerose) or cook (even after the fishing update, since not many ppl has 75+ cooking). but generally, u lose money when raising those skills.

i'd say only after rs went p2p that there was such a notion as making profit or getting free xp off buyable skills e.g. fletching, crafting bstaff (slow), herblaw, rc, farming, mage (mta - infinity) or even low-lvl smithing (iron knives). this was probably one of jagex's method to attract players to get membership.

u can probably relate what i just said to buyable f2p skills (excluding rc). its kinda hard for me to think of any buyable f2p skills (excluding rc) that can make a profit, either back in 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 or 2007. it may prolly stay that way in 2008 and beyond.

maybe im off, maybe my memory is fuzzy, maybe my own experience is not applicable to everyone, but this is just my two cents....

yes all the skill needs money to lvl up especially f2p

Combat : $$$ for armour

range : $ for armour , arrows

prayer: $$$$ for bones

mage : $$$$ for runes

runcrafting : $$$$$4 for buying talisman/ tirara

con : {i m f2p, frm wad my p2p frens say, they told me it cost lots of $]

hp : only skill which needs no money

agilty herbolore theiving fletch farming hunter : idk it needs $ a not i m not p2p :D

crafting : $$ to buy hides , mould

mining : $$$ to buy picaxe

smithing : $$$ to buy ores/bars

fishing : $$$ to buy fishing equipment

cooking : $$$ to buy stuff to cook

fm: $ to buy logs

wc : $$$$$$ to buy axes