Whats with merchant hating?

ego_scorpion

The problem with merchanting is that real players sit there and gather the resources for products to sell. Merchanters sit there and buy or such low prices players drop their prices and lose well earnt money just to sell to the merchanters. Admittedly they do not need to sell for those prices but when you have 15 people buying the same product for roughly the same price ofcourse they are going to sell.

The fact is, majority of Merchanters don't make their money using their ingame skills. They sit around usually with an auto typing program and stand in world 2 spamming like crazy. Not to mention, these merchanters who have next to no statistics. How do they make the money to begin with?

Pgkhqob.jpg

Proud Tip.It Moderator December 07 - October 2009
Proud TETAU Member 2006 - 2007 <3
"I had a standing agreement with god. I'd agree to believe in him, barely, so long as he let me sleep in on Sundays." - Rose Hathaway
[ Posting & You ] [ Forum Rules ] [ Next Tetau Event ]

For merchants to actually make money they need to sell at a profit... And the player that ends up buying the item from the merchant could have saved a fair amount of money by buying straight from the person the merchant got the item out of. That's what I hate of merchants, they increase the cost of everything.

Or they keep it stable? Depends which way you look at it.

A very nice statement.

P2P offers more and better ways of making money than f2p. That's one of the cons you just have to play with if you don't feel like having 1 bigmac meal less per month.

The problem with merchanting is that real players sit there and gather the resources for products to sell. Merchanters sit there and buy or such low prices players drop their prices and lose well earnt money just to sell to the merchanters. Admittedly they do not need to sell for those prices but when you have 15 people buying the same product for roughly the same price ofcourse they are going to sell.

The fact is, majority of Merchanters don't make their money using their ingame skills. They sit around usually with an auto typing program and stand in world 2 spamming like crazy. Not to mention, these merchanters who have next to no statistics. How do they make the money to begin with?

I merchant. I don't autotype (80wpm). Do I have stats? I'd have to check... :-k

First, it's not hard for somebody with talent to start merching. I started a pure, made 20k farming cowhides, merched that, end of the week I had 1m. That's just a brand-new pure, starting from scratch with no resources. It's even easier with someone with stats and a bit of cash to start with.

And I'd have to argue that most merchants actually do have stats. Check out the phat section of the market, where the best of the best hang out, and you won't see a bunch of level 40s. The average merchant has rather nice stats.

Sorry, but your impression of a merchant doesn't hold true to this phat merchant's own experience with other marketers.

... Check out the phat section of the market, where the best of the best hang out, and you won't see a bunch of level 40s. The average merchant has rather nice stats.

Sorry, but your impression of a merchant doesn't hold true to this phat merchant's own experience with other marketers.

No one said they were dealing with partyhat merchants. There's a merchant for everything; not all of them start big.

For those that aren't with the best of the best (or just aren't in the market for a paper hat), we deal with people that we have no idea how they got this much money in the first place (low stats, high-value items).

Keep that in mind, if you would. Not all of us deal with rares.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

Why the hell does every merchant think were going to be "jealous" of them?It's not that we're jealous:It's just that when we walk into a bank, we don't find it pleasant to find 100 players crammed in there trying to sell us stuff we don't need.And people who think they aren't "beneficial to the economy of runescape" THEY ARE THE ECONOMY OF RUNESCAPE!Without them selling, we wouldn't even have a economy.

The game was not made for merchanting. Quit calling it a skill, its very annoying. Its not a skill, it is basicly buying, and selling items. It is not part of the game, the game is the skills, PKing, Quests, dueling, etc. I hate merchanters as they don't actually play the game.

I shall take my flock underneath my own wing, and kick them right the [bleep] out of the tree. If they were meant to fly, they won't break their necks on the concrete.
So, what is 1.111... equal to?

10/9.

Please don't continue.

wm1c2w.jpg

I guess people hate them simply because they're middlemen. Buyers would much rather purchase something at a bargain from an actual seller, rather than a merchant who obviously will try to charge the highest reasonable (meaning that someone might actually buy it) price. They especially resent them when a merchant comes along on a thread advertising items at a bargain price and says "I'll take all", which the seller obviously finds more convenient than offers from buyers who actually need the items, who usually need an amount smaller than the seller's stock.

As for people cheering about the downfall of merchanting; they're fools. They don't realize that this update will make it MUCH easier for merchants to buy out entire stocks of items and sell them for higher prices. Sure they won't be able to take advantage of players who don't know the prices of items, because obviously those players will easily be able to find out, but the profit potential from this new update more than makes up for that loss.

To all you people chering about end of merchanting, shame on you. Just because you are too young to understand economics or simply unable to pull it off dont hate on those who can do it. I gurantee that 99/100 of those "merchant hating" posts are people fool of jealousy and envy.

to be honest i wouldn't mind seeing a lot of merchants fall. not all of them...but there are a lot that i've come across that should just give it up.

sometimes merchants are very useful to me. if i want to buy a bulk amount of raw materials, but don't want to waste the time getting it myself then merchants can come in very handy as they do the legwork for me. i don't mind paying a little extra in price for this. there were a number of times i'd come back with a duplicate armour or weapons from barrows that i didn't want. it could be a real pain sometimes trying to sell just one piece barrows as most players only wanted to buy full sets. i had no problem selling to a barrows merchant for a reasonable price.

but there are some instances that i've come across some very rude, pushy, and lazy "merchants" in the game that only want to offer a ripoff price. they know its a ripoff price and they start getting pushy hoping to pressure you into trading with "noob its only worth 'x' much" and my favorite "HURRY!!! I GOTTA GO SOON!!!"

those type of merchants tend to get too greedy and use pushy and dirty tactics in the hopes that some poor kid will cave in and not know any better.

i remember one time i was selling an item on the forums and a player contacted me about buying but refused to pay my price...ok so we haggled and came to an agreement on a price (good merchanting) then he told me to come to him to sell. well, he was in world 2 fally and of course it's full, so i tell him he'd have to come to me. he then tells me he is going to have to charge me a "fee" for having to leave world 2 to come to me (bad merchanting...greedy) finally, i said "you came to me looking to buy and then you don't even want to pay what i wanted...and now you want to charge a "fee" to come here to trade? forget it" these are the types of merchants i could care less if they fell off of the face of the earth. this is the reason i almost cringe if i have to buy or sell something on the forums...because i almost always run into a few of these types.

i don't merchant myself. i never tried it so i wouldn't know how good or bad i am at it. my own personal reasoning is that i don't pay real money and play a game so that i can spend all day trying to make fake money...especially since that's not the game's purpose. that's just my own personal method of playing. if you choose to merchant that is your choice.

i wouldn't exactly call it a skill in the game either. it's a service that's provided to the community of players. you don't have to do a quest or gain a certain skill. it's just a player to player service. that's all really. you watch forums and stand in trade worlds watching prices all day. you find a median price to buy under and sell over. seems pretty straight forward to me. i don't care how pretty your forum thread looks if i have to read 3 pages i tend to move on because i've noticed the prices then to be out of any range i normally look for. also...as far as skills...i've come across a few merchants who seriously lack in people skills.

am i jealous? nope. you are doing something that at times from the right person i might appreciate...but it's not something i would want pick up and start doing.

am i envious? nope. i couldn't care less how much gold you have. i bought a couple of rares once because someone told me they were a good investment. i got tired of seeing them in my bank. every time i put one on i got unwanted attention from the wrong type of players. it wasn't worth it to me so i sold them. i always keep myself "poor" now because i tend to spend it on skills. i might not always use the most efficient money making methods in the game...but that's because i guess i find different aspects of the game more fun than you.

edit: i rambled. sorry :oops:

rssig2.png

I don't merchant, but this whole merchant hating is from people who are jealous that they can't make a mil a day without working hard.

Lemme first start off, im am a lv 102, ive played this game for a fair amount of time. I have not merchanted but watched how merchants work incase i would want to be one. I think this update is for the best saves skillers time while there trying to sell our stuff. No I am not jealous of you making a mill a day without hard work. I can make a mill solo rcing for a couple hours and the hard work I am putting in is going into exp. Casew closed the update is coming and noone can stop it :roll:

B_ryan20.png

b_ryan20.png

I don't merchant, but this whole merchant hating is from people who are jealous that they can't make a mil a day without working hard.

Lemme first start off, im am a lv 102, ive played this game for a fair amount of time. I have not merchanted but watched how merchants work incase i would want to be one. I think this update is for the best saves skillers time while there trying to sell our stuff. No I am not jealous of you making a mill a day without hard work. I can make a mill solo rcing for a couple hours and the hard work I am putting in is going into exp. Casew closed the update is coming and noone can stop it :roll:

Ok. Though, I will remind you that I don't merchant myself.

safari20hat11.jpg

We should euthanize anyone who lacks the capability to contribute to society in any way.

Please don't elect this man for president in 2012

The game was not made for merchanting. Quit calling it a skill, its very annoying. Its not a skill, it is basicly buying, and selling items. It is not part of the game, the game is the skills, PKing, Quests, dueling, etc. I hate merchanters as they don't actually play the game.

Probably one of the merchant haters.

On topic. I see nothing wrong with "merching". It's not like merchants buy steel bars for 620 ea and sell for 750 ea or something. Yes some merchants over price items, use auto typers, but why does that give all merchants a bad image? But 99% of merchants don't do anything wrong except make gp. Merchanting is fine to me.

... Check out the phat section of the market, where the best of the best hang out, and you won't see a bunch of level 40s. The average merchant has rather nice stats.

No one said they were dealing with partyhat merchants. There's a merchant for everything; not all of them start big.

For those that aren't with the best of the best (or just aren't in the market for a paper hat), we deal with people that we have no idea how they got this much money in the first place (low stats, high-value items).

Keep that in mind, if you would. Not all of us deal with rares.

And those beginner merchants generally work with low-profit items, like barrows gear and whips. When the average level 60 has enough for a whip, and any generic player can make 80k an hour picking flax, getting enough money to start merchin' doesn't take much.

As for the rare lowish rich merch, they're just good.

Too many people say merching doesn't have anything to do with skill. :roll: Those are the people that brag about thier skill at woodcutting mages or running laws or crafting nats or whatever.

Merching does take skill. I don't know how many times I've had people ask me "what should I merch with 3m?" "what did you merch to get your money?", blah blah blah. Contrary to what almost every non-merch thinks, this isn't an easy field. You need to know what to merch, where to merch it, when to invest, when to pull out...it's not just buying 10k feathers for 5 ea and selling for 10. :roll:

Merchant love 4 lyphe <3 <3 <3 :D

If you hate us, you're jealous. If you don't, good for you.

wow, and people tell me i have a big ego for calling any1 under 110 combat a low lvl.

Yup, I love my ego, Mr. Generic Skiller. :thumbsup: At least I don't make my money by staring at a screen watching my toon cut willows.

Merchin' isn't easy, but 1m a day? Bah, I can make 5m on an average weekday in 3 hours. No wonder the monkfish peeps go green. \:D/

Oh? I thought it said on the mainpage and game intro in several spots this game has no limits on your character's choices in the game? (Excluding the rules, of course).

I choose to make money to buy items with. Tell me that's not playing [/img]this game, and you'll prove you're just another hater.

And who said that you won't be able to merchent via the Grand Exchange? You can still manipulate prices, there will always be someone who will sell for less, and someone who will buy for more, depends on how desperate and how much of that item is being sold by people on this new concept for Runescape (Not new in other MMO's). Even if it gets rid of Merchenting, sorry, I don't mind much, because technically speaking, selling for more and buying for less is price manipulation, which last time I checked isn't a good thing to have in an economy. It means the players selling set the prices, which is incorrect in an economy, the buyers effect the prices of an object. More people demand something, where there's a limited supply, the price goes up, or people go for substitutes of that item. But in Runescape, it's been the sellers and merchanters setting prices (The sellers) and not the buyers, they just go with the prices, in other words, our market is backwards in it's means. This may fix is, and by which case, I'm happy, it should actually stabilize the economy by most means.

And by the way, why are people whining and ranting about this update which isn't even out yet? Get a life if you're going to -cabbage- about it already. It looks like a great idea from my stand point. I've always wanted something where I can sell my stuff without standing for an hour in World 2 (that's without the 30 minute wait to get into it) and in the end not even find anyone to buy what I'm selling. So what if merchanting dies, it was actually hurting the economy in the knowledgeable aspects of it all.

Wolfy is Officially Retired.

I miss you all (Well, mostly my friends n stuff)

If you want to talk to me, send me a message, I check the boards daily. :D

One, merchanting is not a word; You either say merchandising or simply active trading.

Two, many people seem to glorify merchandising and its ease when there are a lot of flaws in how it works out. Also, something popular is eventually flooded breaking the system and wild price changes begin to happen due to the flood of products in the market. I've seen it happen with Deviate fish and Primal Elements in World of Warcraft among some things, MvP loot in Ragnarok Online, and heck even the Doctor/Heavy combo in Team Fortress 2!

Three, the Grand Exchange will not damage merchandising but IMPROVE it. Sellers will have the commodity of selling their wares amongst all the worlds which for regular items such as hides, ore, essence and potions with stable price ranges being processed with ease whereas higher-value items will introduce some much needed healthy competition between aggressive merchants selling the wares and perhaps even out prices to eliminate the wild variations people invent to take advantage of others.

I personally don't hate merchants, but I do hate those acting as if a great update like this will ruin their role in Runescape. Anybody who does think it's a bad update is most likely a scammer in all cases.

"300 programmers make their futile but glorious last stand against 1000000 angry players in The battle of Misthalin. They fight for honor, glory and new content sacrificing themselves so that their game may live on. This is Madness! This Is JAGEEEX!"

One, merchanting is not a word; You either say merchandising or simply active trading.

Merchanting is indeed a word, and you know very well what it means. I would wager that merchanting is used more often than merchandising. The fact that only the latter is found in dictionaries means that it is older, which people like you confuse with better.

To illustrate the hypocrisy of your grammar-nazi outburst, let's examine your sentence to your own standards.

"One[incorrect, you want the ordinal number not the cardinal number, should be 'first'], merchanting is not a word; You[incorrect pronoun, should be 'one' , the indefinite pronoun in english] either say[says] merchandising or simply[incorrect parellelism to have an adverb in only the second branch, also awkward and confusing to have the adverb following the verb in this case] active trading."

To clarify the 3rd point above, does "one says simply active trading" mean "In a simple fashion, one says 'active trading'" or "One says 'simply active trading" . Your irregular verb/adverb order is to blame.

You misunderstood my first point marker for a grammar mistake and it's not even related to the topic. Besides, I simply made a correction since people begin inventing words which ruin their English essays (I DID see friends using leetspeak, replacing "you" with "u") such as safers, prayerers, ers, etc.

Okay, I won't spam anymore so I'll just say I am a merchant myself though I usually begin by selling something of high value I made on my own, like a gross of 3-dose prayer potions (A gross = 144 units). My type of merchant will really benefit from this future update since the selling of handmade products will be eased whereas rare items can still be sold in the old fashioned way.

"300 programmers make their futile but glorious last stand against 1000000 angry players in The battle of Misthalin. They fight for honor, glory and new content sacrificing themselves so that their game may live on. This is Madness! This Is JAGEEEX!"

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a few fun facts.

I was lvl 3 with 4 party hat sets

I started with 100 coal notes

I currently have a bank net of 10 billion

I am alerigic to world 2, I never go there

I type 180 words per minute, dont need auto typer

I love skills

I merchanted to get $ to lvl my skills

I merchanted to afford anything in this game that I can ever want

I can buy anything that I can ever want

I never made any $ from skills, all from merchanting

I dont need skills to make $, I need $ to make skills

I can keep going, but just giving you a rough idea :)

Game Name: Ego Scorpion

Party Hat Sets: 4

Bank Pictures: http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?t=712645&start=0

ego_scorpion.png

but there are some instances that i've come across some very rude, pushy, and lazy "merchants" in the game that only want to offer a ripoff price. they know its a ripoff price and they start getting pushy hoping to pressure you into trading with "noob its only worth 'x' much" and my favorite "HURRY!!! I GOTTA GO SOON!!!"

People like that are not merchants, they are garbage that give mercahnts a bad name. Just some ignorant kiddie wou I would instantly ignore. Then again, its not a mercahnt thing, its a human thing, there are idiots everywhere regardless of what you are into sadly.

Game Name: Ego Scorpion

Party Hat Sets: 4

Bank Pictures: http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?t=712645&start=0

ego_scorpion.png

What's with the whole merchant generalizing? A lot of you keep saying; "merchants only use autotypers", "they don't skill", they overprice items", "they sit on their butts all day, and raise prices", etc... I don't get it. Stop generalizing. Also, merchants play their characters however they want. If people want to skill, they skill. If they train combat, they train combat. No one stops them. But when it comes to merchanting, there's a big uproar about all sorts of crap...

Actualy, perhaps you should learn to understand the words before telling people to learn their meanings.

Rofl, "learning to understand" sounds amusingly mystic.

On subject; people have allways disliked merchants, and if this update update really takes em outta the trading loop, then there will be no bitter tears shed from most of the rs population. Im sure u know what the reasons for the animosities are, so its more or less meaningless to point em out. I think this update will better and enrich the game personally, yes some will be worse off, but the majority of players will benefit from it.

And if merchants only skill was to intercept the ppl who refuse to waste their time at fally 2, then i really see no harm in this "exchange" update. Ya lot allways likes to point out that saving peoples time is one of ur greatest assets ( in a manner: dont hate, sure im taking ur money, but im a good boi- im saving ur time, and time is money- so all be fair) so i really cant understand what could possibly be " wrong" with this update. In the end its sole porpouse is saving ppls time.

Here's a reply I posted to some idiot complaining about merchants, I've taken the part (with editing) where I explained the service that merchants provide:

Merchants are here to offer a very important service to us. They act as a bystander between producers and consumers. They offer the service of convenience (which is apparently a very valued service considering what people are willing to pay). For people who need something but is not ready to spend hours on forums, they are there. For people who don't know the forums exist or have a hard time selling stuff on the forums for some particular reason, they are there.

One of the big misconceptions is that people think that players are getting "ripped off" because merchants will sell for a higher price, well that's so wrong. People who sell to merchants sell to them because they do not want to spend the time on the forums looking for a better deal. If, for example, I sell my nats slightly cheaper to a mrchant, he will then spend time on forums to sell for higher price. Some people then assume "oh well I could have found that higher price on my own" yet they forget that, in order to find that deal, the merchant had to spend hours wandering around the forum and/or ingame.

That is a perfect representation of the saying "time is money" because you are basically paying the merchant to spend time on the forums while you can save time and do more stuff ingame. Another example of this is people who don't know the item price, in this case [the thread author]. When [the thread author] bought your torag's chest, [the thread author] only realized later that the price was higher. Obviously [the thread author] was in a rush and you didn't take the time to see if there were any better deals. If [the thread author] had taken the time to look for a better deal, [the thread author] would have saved some money. However the moment [the thread author] bought torag's chest, [the thread author] decided to save time at the opportunity cost of 75k (because he bought for 75k over the "normal" price). I'm using this as an example to show that, yet again, "time is money" and this time [the thread author] chose time at the opportunity cost of money. Merchants are simply there to do the opposite because they are the ones who get money at the opportunity cost of time.

Generally the ignorants who don't like merchants either don't know it, in which case it's a "fear of the unknown" syndrome. Or they think they know it, in which case it's a misconception.

What I don't like in this thread, however, are the people who say that merchanting is easy because all you do is stand in one corner and buy/sell. The cyclical argument can be used against skilling as well, because you just repeat a certain number of steps over and over again. Skillers will obviously tell you that it's much more than that, same is true for merchants.

The game was not made for merchanting.

Actually, we have a demand for their service (hence why it is supplied), so no in fact this game was designed for merchants.

Quit calling it a skill, its very annoying.

Quit making baseless claims :roll:

Its not a skill, it is basicly buying, and selling items.

If so, then Skilling is not a skill, it's just basically doing repeated actions to gain exp? Obviously not, which shows the horribly flawed logic. By the same flawed logic you could claim that basketball takes no skills, it's just throwing a ball around. :roll:

It is not part of the game, the game is the skills, PKing, Quests, dueling, etc.

Merchants are in the game, you just aren't willing to accept it.

I hate merchanters as they don't actually play the game.

More like you hate them because they don't actually play the game the way you want, which basically shows how what an egocentric ignorant you are.

As for this whole Drama about "merchanting will be completely ruined by GE". I agree that merchants could possibly be hurt or at the very least affected by the great exchange, but saying they will be ruined is just another exaggeration. Also, there is no guarantee as to what might happen because it all depends on the structure of the GE.

76th to reach 99 Construction on 6th of February 2007

379th to reach 99 Runecrafting on 4th of November 2007

BlueSig6.jpg

Finally the secrets of goal achieving are revealed! (give my guide a read :^_^: )