RS Word Censors - Lighten up or tighten down?

unorclan

Personally what I would like to see happen is a way of turning the filter off/down on the main site based on your individual account. So JagEx can keep their super strict filter for the kiddies, but for older players they can have a converstation with out worrying about giving out things like site names email/instant messaging and things like that. I have seen this work very well on other games and web sites, and I think it would work well for RS as well.
I wouldn't be opposed to this, except they would need a better way to determine your age. And only if you were above a certain age could you tone it down. However, I would leave it up pretty high for the most part, anyway.

I dont think there really is a better way to determine your age, and anything they could put in place could easily be faked. They would simply warn you about turning down the filter, state that any site you went to or any language you were offended by was not their fault when you agreed to turn it down, and then when you whine about it they point out you had fair warning.

exactly, and then after all the kiddies turned down the filters, they would run around ranting on various forums about how bad profanity is on rs, just like when the wildy ditch was put in and people didn't bother to read the message.

I require hugs. Seriously, just give them to me, and youll see your little turtle again.

syal_antilli.png

syal_antilli.png

Where it's at right now seems pretty reasonable. There are still a few cases of grievance, but overall, I'm pretty much satisfied - which you'd think surprising if I spoke with you over the phone. [bleep]in' eh! :wink:

Gearing up the censor is something that's been done a few times, and to be honest, it's a joke from start to finish. In particular, there have been cases where the censor has blocked out "fletching", "bob the cat", "that's" and "O RLY" - which as you can imagine (or recall, as the case may be) made for quite the annoyance.

Player ingenuity with regard to censor evasion is really quite amazing - I dare say it ranks up there with cockroaches and twinkies in terms of hardiness. Censor the base words, and leave the more creative variations to abuse reports - it'll be a lot less headache for everyone, I promise.

The sensor is too heavy. I can't say my name (purewcnub) in game without blocking it out! You can't even say crap! alot of foreign people's words also get blocked out. It's just ridicoulus, but it's the sad truth. :boohoo:

0neJudgement.png

Goals:

94 magic

94 ranged

55 slayer

Addy gloves-done

I've noticed alot of people are saying that profanity doesn't need to be used in sentences.

I think the point is that in real life you will come across people who are annoying,stubborn, anything that annoys us. In real life words aren't bleeped out, people aren't punished for saying profanity or noob.

I think this is like the controversy where parents said kids shouldn't get trophies when a team wins. Why? Because kids were sad over losing.

I'm sure many of you would say that is completly absurd. This is like that, if a person used profanity over and over again and that annoys you. The answer is simple, don't be his/her friend or just simply ignore them.

Profanity is meant to be used as expressions of hurt, sorrow and anger. We also use them to casual friends sometimes. Is profanity so bad? Does it defile the law of heaven? What is truly bad and what is truly good? Define good and bad.

I think some people are just too uptight about life.

"Everyone can say that they will die, but not everyone can say that they have lived."

*NOTE: I am NOT saying take it off so people can cuss and use profanity - that is not part of the debate - it's about loosening up so we can actually have a conversation

How exactly does the censor hamper your conversations...?

uh dude, i hate idiots who cuss like crazy, not duh you can censor out cuss words but crap, butt, [developmentally delayed], shoot, ect...are not cuss words.

'Shoot' isn't censored. I just tried it.

Jagex should let us take it off if we have all security things.

(Little kids probably wont know what to do about the security things)

If they have the brainpower to create an account, they can figure out how to turn off the censor. And what about F2P? They can't turn off all the P2P security warnings.

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...

This is the truth!

This is my belief!

...at least for now.

"The Mystery of Life"

Vol. 841, Ch. 26

*NOTE: I am NOT saying take it off so people can cuss and use profanity - that is not part of the debate - it's about loosening up so we can actually have a conversation

How exactly does the censor hamper your conversations...?

It does, on occasion, censor pointless things in your sentences. I wouldn't really say it 'hampers' any legitimate conversation, though.

i say the player should chose if he/she wants censor on or since i really dont care if people curse of use profanity

+1... and choose the severity of the censor? so censor lvl 1 only blocked the *reeeealy* bad words and lvl 5 was even more vicious than the one we have now

There are many alternative to certain swear words that can be used. But I have gripes with words such as suck. There are negative sexual connotations and it can be used in a derogative manner towards someone bad at sometthing but suck is a normal word and even saying someone sucks isnt too offensive. Cut some slack.

Costantino.png

There are many alternative to certain swear words that can be used. But I have gripes with words such as suck. There are negative sexual connotations and it can be used in a derogative manner towards someone bad at sometthing but suck is a normal word and even saying someone sucks isnt too offensive. Cut some slack.
Oddly enough, they censor suck, but not blow. Both have the same meanings (besides their actual meanings being the exact opposites).

What would be quite fun if they change the swear words for another word...e.g

If some one says 'OH SH*T!' they should censor it by saying 'OH DARN!'

or 'OH &@!$' to make it more interesting :D

Or bring back the cabbage censor?

They should lighten up, while WE tighten down.

It's extremely simple to construct sentences without having the censor putting asterisks all over. Jagex also needs to tweak the censor to censor only those words which are actually vulgar, as sometimes normal words get starred out.

My Blog

Join the Campaign for more F2P Bank Space!

[bleep], my parrot has better grammar than you.

4z9pgcp.gif

They should lighten up, while WE tighten down.

It's extremely simple to construct sentences without having the censor putting asterisks all over. Jagex also needs to tweak the censor to censor only those words which are actually vulgar, as sometimes normal words get starred out.

excatly... I only talk (other then pm and clan chat) to buy and sell stuff... or a friendly conversation at the farming patch... you really don't need to be rude at all... i've said a "damn" a bit but i never try to avoid the censor...

it's easy to make sentances that don't have any vulgular words in it.

FRONTPAGE.png

{DeviantART}{Last.Fm}{Join Sublime GFX, great community for artists!}

Back to RuneScape, Again.Avatar by Brian The Great

• 1 month later...