Runescape being used as a pawn.

Drakolord7

Any time a kid isn't at school or asleep, they are practically forced to do some sport/club or another, or to constantly engage in meaningless social activities. People seem to think that video games automatically make you a completely moronic loser who will never do anything with their lives. I personally play 15-20 hours/week, I've got a 4.0 gpa, and I'm headed. toward a very good college. I have a normal social life by my standards, but I don't feel the urge to be around people 24/7, not least because I despise a good portion of our species.

Video games serve the same role that books did(And in some cases, like me :P , still do) in the past; entertainment. If I'm deep into a good book, I can easily be absorbed for hours at a time. The only serious difference is that games allow you to be a part of the story, rather than merely observe. Sorry, I just would rather read a book or play a little RS than [ ... ]

As long as you exercise, eat normally, and don't sit too close to the screen, video games won't have any adverse effects on you. They may improve your hand-eye coordination, 'twitch movements'(What some people call reflexes; reacting almost instantly to movement, ect.), and your rapid-counting skills. They won't cause you to do something that you wouldn't normally do; [ ... ]

Sorry about being a tad bit longwinded, but I really care about these things...In that I'd rather talk about them than watch my character kill shadow warriors..

No worries reaper88888.

I agree as long as players don't forget about responsible gaming [See Jagex advice on the RuneScape site] it need not be a problem.

Everyone is going to have a subjective view on this of course.

My partner and I don't agree, for example, that excessively dangerous or competitive sport is 'healthy' activity for kids or teenagers. As an online game she prefers things like Scrabulous however, over MMORPGs, but that's because she's never liked Sci-Fi-Fantasy books regardless. My sister & I however have always been Si-Fi-Fantasy nuts and we both have huge bookcases full of them.

It all depends on who you are, and why you play. There's certainly far more damaging things Adults do pursue out there, than getting involved with their kids playing an online game. Worse, many adults simply aren't interested in what they're kids do, or attempt to bully their kids to become something they'll end up rebelling against.

I know many adults who do player MMORPGs with their kids, and though their kids do play sport as well. Getting to know what you kid players, and enjoying playing it with them can be a good way to relate to teens parents might otherwise have trouble communicating with.

The fact that 57% of the adults in the survey did say they played with their kids seems to have gotten ignored in the conclusions drawn at the end of the article? 57% is huge given they even admitted that means the recent changes. Some of that is obviously due to changes in demographics mean a lot of more us adults are computer savvy now than there used to be.

However, the fact they drew this conclusion signals a bias in there reading of the statistics, which makes me feel they're out for Adults versus kids editorial in the news. For these reason it does sound like another media beat-up I'm afraid. This wins my media furphy award for misleading commentary on video games.

Of all the mistakes a parent could make in parenting, playing alongside their kids and being part of the community in a online like MMORPG like RuneScape, is certainly not one them. It's the parents that ignore their kids or teens interests, and palm them off onto a computer without a second thought that worry me the most.

I think the message is moderation in all things, not just in one aspect of our lives. However, being human we're all prone to obsessions of one sort or another. It's just how we choose to spend that 'quality' time and it's effects on us those around us that we need to be aware of to be 'healthy'.

Regards,

Fey.

feywarriorgreenlu9.gif

banneruh3.jpg

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[...]

You've got a good heart and all about this matter, but your adversity to social interaction will harm you later in life, whether you like it or not.

Get out there, 'cause grades and reading mean diddly squat if you don't know how to socialize and work with people.

And avoiding trying to defend your love of gaming, and your life in general ("I've got a 4.0+, Gaming improves..., my body is in good condition, I think I'm awesome even though I spend my entire life either in front of a computer screen or studying and I have a plethora of excuses to back dat up, etc.). Nothing annoys the hell out of me more than that, and I'm no where near alone in that sentiment.

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

I'd like to point out that the poll didn't limit the question to video games, indeed, it mentioned that 30% of the people that played with their kids played board or card games.

This is just a journalist taking a statistic about the failure of parents to communicate with their children and turning it into something it's not. Anyone with half a brain can read between lines and see flaws in statistics, and it's insanely easy to dismiss everything here as pure conjecture and falsehood. Ignore it. If someone is taken in by it, ignore them too.

Remember these three things about statistics when reading news and you'll be fine:

75.987% of statistics are made up on the spot.

98% of statistics are lies.

There was a quote by Benjamin Disraeli, popularised by Mark Twain: "lies, damn lies and statistics."

Always assume that news stories like this are lying, and search for the truth. It's easier than assuming truth and searching for lies.

Goals to get my skills back up to a barely respectable level on the high scores:

mayjest.png

Currently going for Bone to Peaches spell. It's amazing how boring doing the same repetitive task is! Stupid MTA

Karamja dock, a nerd playing RS with public chat off. Of course it seems like a stupid waste of time.

But what they forget to mention is that RS is educational and can create friendships across borders.

99 ranged | 99 magic | 99 defence | 99 hitpoints

Remember, it's just a game

Feel free to add me on RS. :) Always ready for a chat.

With all do respect, the fact that they have an interent connection from either of those 2 tiny little towns is amazing enough. I also like the fact that the dad wants him to do something constructive with his life... The kid is only 15 years old. It just ticks me off that he hasn't come up with a cure for cancer yet. That kid is a slacker...

99 Att, Str, Def, HP, magic, cook, fire, wc, mining, fletch, prayer, fish, farm

Over 2100 skill

134 combat

HOW DARE THAT KID WASTE HIS VALUABLE TIME PLAYING VIDEO GAMES! I mean, he could go outside and throw around a football.... or maybe he could... uh... wait, isn't that a waste of time? I mean, its not like he's gonna become an NFL player. I only play for 14 hours a week, and feel no need to go outside and do physical activities if I don't want to. Maybe the kid doesn't like football, or sports? Wonder if the parents ever considered that?

(I just love how the parents "urge" him to go out and do something real, like watching a movie or playing football, and then bringing up how video games won't get him anywhere. :XD: :XD: :XD: )

No witty signatures for me :(

Anyone notice the energy drink in the corner?

MarkNoZeros.png

And shepherds we shall be, for Thee, my Lord, for Thee.

Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,

that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.

So we shall flow a river forth to Thee,

and teeming with souls shall it ever be.

In nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti.