Runescape being used as a pawn.

Drakolord7

Gah, the article is trying to say that a lot of parents don't play video games with their kids, but by its own statistics, MOST do! 43% don't which means 57% do, which is more than I would have thought actually. I got into RS because my son played and my wife started. Yes, I did grow up with computers (had my first Commodore 64 at age 8).

rs0.jpg

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

43% of parents don't play games with their children? I find that statistic very unlikely :^o. I rarely find someone who plays games with their parents, let alone most of them! And seriously, 12 hours a week isn't that bad. I bet most people watch TV longer than that. The people who play computer games instead are actually getting an interactive experience instead of just watching something (although doing both things for that long would definetly be bad). Why don't you ever see articles about how people spend 8 hours a day watching TV, but there are tons of them about people who play video games that long? Because everyone seems to think video games are horrible.

Any time a kid isn't at school or asleep, they are practically forced to do some sport/club or another, or to constantly engage in meaningless social activities. People seem to think that video games automatically make you a completely moronic loser who will never do anything with their lives. I personally play 15-20 hours/week, I've got a 4.0 gpa, and I'm headed. toward a very good college. I have a normal social life by my standards, but I don't feel the urge to be around people 24/7, not least because I despise a good portion of our species.

Video games serve the same role that books did(And in some cases, like me :P , still do) in the past; entertainment. If I'm deep into a good book, I can easily be absorbed for hours at a time. The only serious difference is that games allow you to be a part of the story, rather than merely observe. Sorry, I just would rather read a book or play a little RS than pour large amounts of chemicals into myself whilst mindlessly talking about insignifigant social events with people who either don't really know me, or secretly despise me. I guess I'm not a good American..

As long as you exercise, eat normally, and don't sit too close to the screen, video games won't have any adverse effects on you. They may improve your hand-eye coordination, 'twitch movements'(What some people call reflexes; reacting almost instantly to movement, ect.), and your rapid-counting skills. They won't cause you to do something that you wouldn't normally do; go on a homicidal rampage/suicide/have no life/become a terrorist :roll: ... Tbh, I'm not sure whos worst on this issue, far-righters or far-lefters, more commonly known as 'religous-fundamentalist-fascists' and 'Hippie-commie-stoner-treehuggers'...mostly by each other... -.-

Sorry about being a tad bit longwinded, but I really care about these things...In that I'd rather talk about them than watch my character kill shadow warriors..

There is no meaning or truth in life but that which we create for ourselves.

40678187bv4.jpg

I fail to see how spending 12 hours a week playing runescape is in any way different to spending 12 hours a week reading comic books, building model aircraft, collecting stamps, playing the guitar, writing short stories or any of the thousand other hobbies someone might have.

From what I remember of being 15 we had school for around six and a half hours a day, five days a week, probably an hour or two homework on top of that - so say 8 hours out of five of seven days taken up by school. Spent maybe 8 hours sleeping. Which leaves around about 72 hours of leisure time per week. Take 12 out of that to play runescape and you've still got 60 hours to read a book, kick a football, go see a movie with friends etc, etc, etc.

Seems like this is a fairly normal sort of kid who's parents actually don't have a clue what he does, and a journalist looking to fill some column inches with nothing.

siganizq4.gif

Nerd moment of the day: Is that Karamja? and he's playing with public off?

Porbably. The photographer most likely forced him to turn it off because the readers wouldn't be able to see the scenery behind the thick cloud of spam and obscenity. :XD:

now here is some irony:

by taking that picture they probally payed him

thus paying him to play runescape

which may spark more intrest

fulldragsigcopydh25.jpg

Porbably. The photographer most likely forced him to turn it off because the readers wouldn't be able to see the scenery behind the thick cloud of spam and obscenity. :XD:

now here is some irony:

Dunno why you have that idea, but they most probably did NOT pay him.

uh 12 hours a week really isnt that much.... all things considered.

I would daresay most active rs players dont play much less than 10 hours a week. Thats just not the kind of game rs is. An hour is nothing in game.

All of that aside, parents have no right to complain to the media about their kids gaming habits. Tell your kid to get off the computer and go outside, dont sit their and say "Ohhh my kid wont stop playing video games i cant stand it."

BIG SIGH

Maybe the kids play the games because their parents are out of their lives and dont seem to care. Maybe its not that the games are dumb or evil, its that the parents dont play because they dont care about ever spending time with the kid, game or no game. Or maybe they dont play because they dont even know about the game, because they got better things to do than to care about it. Happened in my house, and my friends. We make up the 43% I assume.

now here is some irony:

Dunno why you have that idea, but they most probably did NOT pay him.

they have to pay him, or get concent to post it otherwise he is liable to sue

fulldragsigcopydh25.jpg

I take this from the article:

"I don't think it's good for them, the violence, the obsession," said Karen Kimball, 55, of Hale, Minn., another nonplayer who estimates her 17-year-old son plays 25 hours weekly. "No longer is it, 'Let's go out and throw a football.'"

And say LOLS.

Since when has anyone went out and thrown a football for 4 hours a day every day of the week. Ok thats not really looking at the big picture, but even so, when does anybody actually play sports for the average 6-7 hours of free time after school/work everyday? Obviously it isn't only referring to sports, but ANYTHING.

Most of whats been said on this thread is all there needs to be said about articles against gaming.

Not to mention most of us are actually talking to people online while doing it, so it's not like we are acting as though we are reclusive and not talking to anybody or having any social contact.

Technically it is Musa Point. And, judging by the lines you can see on the chat screen, the chat is set to public. However, it might be friends.

Oh, I saw that picture and article on CNN.

Nah it's Definatly Karamja Docks. I've been there soo many times :XD:

No, Musa Point

[hide=Map]mpointfv0.png

Says Musa Point, not Karamja. Karamja is the huge island south of it. You could call it Karamja, but, Musa Point is much more accurate.[/hide]

I agree, 12 hours a week isn't that much. That is barely an hour a day? And, MMORPG gamers are anything but anti-social.

tfssig.png

I take this from the article:

"I don't think it's good for them, the violence, the obsession," said Karen Kimball, 55, of Hale, Minn., another nonplayer who estimates her 17-year-old son plays 25 hours weekly. "No longer is it, 'Let's go out and throw a football.'"

And say LOLS.

Since when has anyone went out and thrown a football for 4 hours a day every day of the week. Ok thats not really looking at the big picture, but even so, when does anybody actually play sports for the average 6-7 hours of free time after school/work everyday? Obviously it isn't only referring to sports, but ANYTHING.

Most of whats been said on this thread is all there needs to be said about articles against gaming.

Not to mention most of us are actually talking to people online while doing it, so it's not like we are acting as though we are reclusive and not talking to anybody or having any social contact.

And of course, football is sooooooooo much less violent than runescape, where monsters do comical animations upon death..Oh the Horror, The Violence, The Obsession!

2153_s.gif

When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. ~Jonathan Swift

userbar_full.png

Website Updates/Corrections here. WE APPRECIATE YOUR INPUT! Crewbie's Missions!Contributor of the Day!

Thanks to artists: Destro3979, Guthix121, Shivers21, and Unoalexi.