Runescape being used as a pawn.

Drakolord7

Picture

Article

They are using RS as a pawn for anti-video gaming. Also, in the screen of the kids computer, it looks like theres a shy :ohnoes: :shock:

Join Future Update News! The longest running update speculation thread on the RSOF, currently on its 24 Edition

QFC 16-17-671-59680498

314v28z.jpg

Thanks to Killerwat for the sig!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nerd moment of the day: Is that Karamja? and he's playing with public off?

Yeah it is, and not to be stereotypical or anything, but seeing how many players there are on karamja docks, I'd say thats a f2p world, and he probably doesn't play 12 hours a day while still being f2p. My guess is it's just an example of the people who do play that much, or a major exaggeration.

EDIT: just reread, and I noticed it was 12 hours a week, not a day...so my point is invalid.

Anyways, your point still holds, and it kind does make RS look like a pawn

croppedskill2ph6.png

621st person to achieve 99 slayer on December 3rd, 2007

177th person to 99 summoning on June 21st, 2008

Technically it is Musa Point. And, judging by the lines you can see on the chat screen, the chat is set to public. However, it might be friends.

Oh, I saw that picture and article on CNN.

tfssig.png

Only thing that concerns me with this article is that the parent hasn't reported [to the press] any plans on breaking up this kids' habit. Sure, he said he spends hours a day playing it, and wishes he'd do something more constructive, but what's stopping him from being a parent and putting his foot down?

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

Technically it is Musa Point. And, judging by the lines you can see on the chat screen, the chat is set to public. However, it might be friends.

Oh, I saw that picture and article on CNN.

Nah it's Definatly Karamja Docks. I've been there soo many times :XD:

Zaroterasu.png

Only thing that concerns me with this article is that the parent hasn't reported [to the press] any plans on breaking up this kids' habit. Sure, he said he spends hours a day playing it, and wishes he'd do something more constructive, but what's stopping him from being a parent and putting his foot down?

Cause that might be too much effort? Parents often don't bother parenting much these days.

Ananke32.png

lol, that article seemed rather pointless, it was just saying what everyone already knew, just in more precise terms.

12 hours a week isn't much, when i was around level 90 i'd sometimes play maybe 6 hours a day( :shame: ), nowadays its more like an hour a week though. ::'

the problem with how little i play is that i'm constantly on youtube or something, and i have a 10G per month download limit. <.<

i need to get a hobby :thumbsup:

nudist hippy vegan elves who inexplicably wear leather.

Does anyone else notice it looks like theres sky?

And the graphics look better? Or am I crazy?

Nope. He's at karamja island docks, and you're seeing the water :) easy mistake.

advent-children-cloud-honest1.jpg

99 Fishing 11/12/2006 790th fisher to 99

Former Tip.it Events team leader

Parents don't play with their kids? Many don't - my husband regards computers as things for email & office :roll: .

My char has a higher level (combat and all-round) than either of my kids; although none of us put a great number of hours into it these days (We all play LotRO too :wink: ). But we've enjoyed some fun times together and discuss it regularly. Plus it gives me something to talk about with their friends - I suspect most mums don't have a lot in common with their 15 year old's friends but we happily talk RuneScape together when I'm taxi-ing, and I talk to them online as well.

RS1600.png

Parents don't play with their kids? Many don't - my husband regards computers as things for email & office :roll: .

My char has a higher level (combat and all-round) than either of my kids; although none of us put a great number of hours into it these days (We all play LotRO too :wink: ). But we've enjoyed some fun times together and discuss it regularly. Plus it gives me something to talk about with their friends - I suspect most mums don't have a lot in common with their 15 year old's friends but we happily talk RuneScape together when I'm taxi-ing, and I talk to them online as well.

It's great to see I'm not alone ...I too am a mom ...I have 2 boys who play, and started playing because an older friend of ours suggested this game for them, I tried it to see if it was ok for them and have been playing ever since. I am not one of those parents who think anything on-line is evil ...it is the world kids are growing up in, and as long as they learn to set limits for themselves and not spend their whole life in front of the computer, I don't see a problem with it.

mak_1027.png

I'm sure I've played more than 24 hours (or whatever it said) in a week, and I do just fine in life. It's just a bunch of parents getting riled up again. Some people just have more time than others and for every kid that plays games ALOT there are 5 that don't, don't worry so much about it and let people do what they want with their lives :roll:

Parents are usually more mature and don't see the point of gaming. However, with this newer generation, I feel we'll see many more gamers that are old when this generation gets older.

I'm sure I've played more than 24 hours (or whatever it said) in a week, and I do just fine in life. It's just a bunch of parents getting riled up again. Some people just have more time than others and for every kid that plays games ALOT there are 5 that don't, don't worry so much about it and let people do what they want with their lives :roll:

Parents are usually more mature and don't see the point of gaming. However, with this newer generation, I feel we'll see many more gamers that are old when this generation gets older.

Agreed. We are now in a generation gap; pre and post computer age. The average computer gamer (I'd say age 13-18?), including me, has grown up with computers, but anyone much older than that grew up in an environment when computers were too simple and games like RS was inconceivable (We're talking before the original Game Boy). As a result, there is a distinct drop of computer gamers beyond 18 or so, so this result was kinda obvious anyway. Parents never grew up with computer games, so they are mentally reluctant to partake in such a new experience.

Of course, some parents have accepted the change and now readily enjoy computer/video gaming with their children, but that, as the survey proved, is a minority.

Personally, looking at the article, it doesn't actually seem to hit out at gamers. It actually hits out at parents for not adapting for their children. If it was focusing on addiction, WoW would be featured, not Runescape.

*Disappears in a puff of smoke before the WoW brigade flame me*

~ W ~

sigzi.png