Hunter ethics

guzoliub

I am talking about the infamous red chinchompa spot. Very popular, you have to world hop a lot to find a clear space. And when you find an empty world - here is what happens(3 typical cases):

The good scenario:

Someone arrives. Sees the spot is taken and leaves.

The pro scenario:

A 99 hunter (with cape) arrives and start laying his traps according to his pattern right on the same spot. One of my traps is placed on a spot that he likes. So he stand there, waits for me to pick mine up and lays his before i can. I was in the high 60ies hunter lvl, so naturaly Most of the chinchompas went to his traps and i have no choice but to leave ...

The noob scenario:

A hunter around my lvl arrives, laying his 4 traps around mine. Asking hunter lvl, bla bla. I don't even try to be friendly, basicly i don't talk. Then after a while he asks me to leave because I was there first and it is his turn to be alone at this spot! And then the top dialogue:

- Can i have some chins?

- Sure.

trade offer

- 900ea

- Noob they are 800ea!

- ok 800ea then.

- No, i want them free.

I tried to measure the exp gain (justo to be sure) and according to my observations when two people are using the same spot the exp is really going down (except maybe if one of the hunters has a lot higher lvl then the other). And everyone understands that, but still a lot of people prefer to try and annoy you to a level when you just descide to leave, instead of searching for an empty spot.

The discusion here is:

Is that the way it works? Like f2p hill giants - ruthless competition?

If not - how do you manage such situations?

The same thing has happened to the wilderness, and its spreading across all aspects of the game, no one believes in decency, respect, morals, or ethics anymore.

You will hear, "Its just a game, why would i have to be polite!" even most of tip it thinks this way nowadays so dont expect much sympathy.

I'm afraid that's the way it is and it can't be changed. There'll be some inconsiderate people and some considerate but eitherway, if you think that you deserve the spot because you were there first, you need to fight for your opinion.

Obviously the person who's trying to take the spot from you won't roll over and hand it to you if you ask, so be persistant and bug him back :) . Annoy the hell outta him, and he'll most likely leave - unless of course he's a thick 9 year old who can't take a hint. If this is the case, I prefer to bring a few darts or knives and give em a taste of their own medecine :wink: .

If you just leave however and allow yourself to show how badly you're ticked off, you just give the person who stole the spot from you all the satisfaction in the world. Some idiots just annoy others for the sake of it and if they see you're responding in a negative way, it gives them even more reason to continue.

sig-4504.jpg

^ Refresh for a new signature ^

090125180013cc9.png

Hell you could even change your topics title to runescape ethics. Then again it would be almost asking sounding like alot of other threads that pop up about how people are annoyed in the ways in which runescape players behave, in a seemingly "inapproriate" fashion.

However, back on topic, its not just like this in hunter. Many many if not just about all other skills are quite like this. However its particularly bad for skills like hunter, and slayer or just monster killing period depending on the monster and the time of day really. For example, its a well known fact that many people kill dragons for a good source of income, blue dragons for example.

Catching a world a certain times of day is litterally impossible, what with all the bots in the ogre place, all the amounts of people in all the other places, its just a mess.

However, hey what else can you do about it? Just use your "Rs manners" and hope for the best, thats about all you can do.

CLICK - 770th to 99 SLAYER 2/4/08 - 204th to 99 Summoning 7/1/08 CLICK

tifovsigev3.jpg

Druminator17.png

[Hide=List of Drops That I haven't updated in Years but want to keep in my Sig anyways...]VISAGE DROP - 12/06/07

3 Duo Sara Hilts, 3 Duo Arma Hilts, 2 Trio Arma Hilts.

Dark Bows: (11) Dragon Boots: (50!)

Whip Drops: (42!!!) Dragon Drops: (90+!!!!!) 2 D CHAINS!, 3 D Axe, 8 D meds, 7 left halfs, 7 D legs, 6 skirts, 8 Spears[/hide]

You just kinda stated the obvious.

The same is true of any competetive trianing spot eg coal, yews, mages etc.

Thou they aren't required to be "soloed" as much for fast xp, so aren't quite as bad.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Unfortunately, jumping on your spot isn't against the rules. However, you should always bring a bow and some arrows. If another hunter starts laying traps right on your spot, then step to the side and start ranging the chinchompas. :D

ixfd64.png

ARENAscape:

Baratus [AS] max hit: 166 with Moon Battle Hammer

ixfd64 [AS] max hit: 116 with (untitled spell #2)

In my journey to 99 hunter i always did one of two things.

1) run to the other spot (there are 2 good ones) and use that one.

2) go to the other spot, if sonebody is there run back and world hop.

I took somebodies spot once and i felt really bad cos it happened alot to me in my low lvls. besides they were there 1st and they deserve the spot.

ruadorksiggy.gif

Thanks SkyFleet for the awsome siggy!

Some people just don't know or understand the word "efficiency" when it comes to hunting spots. You share a spot with someone else, both your catch rate and exp drops. Even if you're a 99 Hunter, you'll still lose 1-2 chins every time you lay your traps (over time you'd realize you're way below your regular catch rate) if you're hunting with someone.

I can take anyone's spot but I just can't bring myself to because..I don't know, it just doesn't feel morally right. If he's there first, I'd hop and find other worlds. I think it's called being considerate.

Turn your public chat off, it helps a lot. And if you're hunter level is relatively low, there's another spot that isn't as popular as the 'west wall' or the one by the water.

vv05c.png

[brought to you by the Cult of the Sacred Crate]

17th to 99 Smithing OSRS

However, you should always bring a bow and some arrows. If another hunter starts laying traps right on your spot, then step to the side and start ranging the chinchompas. :D

I was thinking of some kind of sabotage, but ... it will be even more irritating and ineffective sulution. I was never able to hunt a whole hour without someone intefering. If i try to kill the chomps it will be a total disaster of exp. Even if I make one go another will come.

1) run to the other spot (there are 2 good ones) and use that one.

where is the other good spot?

and another funny story :

We are already 2 hunters on the west wall and a third one appears and starts laying traps. Then the second one goes - "Omg! Noob!!!" and leaves ...

Maybe i shuold start inviting friends to come and scare the 'intruder' :D

Actually if you haven't noticed, killing the chins make them spawn faster, providing the other hunter an unintentional help.

vv05c.png

[brought to you by the Cult of the Sacred Crate]

17th to 99 Smithing OSRS

If i know I am superior in a skill I don't back down.

I'd rather have a tough look on things than act like a hippie and waste my time relocating. Chances are most servers are taken already so if you're willing to spend ur time finding an empty server, and have someone like me arrive ANYWAY, thats up to you.

Theyre just too lazy to world hop <.<

When someone asks to hunt with me on the same spot i have nothing aggainst it - xp is not everything. I dont hunt nowdays, but when someone was plain rude i used to plant mithril flowers everywhere so they couldnt lay their traps ::'

Not sure if it still works...

Also, i tried farming once and my potatoes died, put me off forever.

1.) Learn awesome boxtrap tricks and spots. ( there's many ways to use other ppls boxtraps for your own profit [Well at least when I got my 99 hunter I could make most people leave just because I got most of the chinchompas (I mean ppl who tried to steal my spot, I always hopped till I found an empty world)])

2.) If Tip 1 doesn't work or you don't feel like trying to find the best spots, or any other reason. You can always use a bow to kill all the chinchompas and hope that he leaves because of that.

That kind of applies to bandits.

Been training there alot lately and every now and then someone comes along and tries to take my spot.

First option is to ask them politely to switch. (some lvl 86 hopped immediately when i asked today)

Second option is to ask again.

Third option is setting up my cannon OR taking off the cape and either thieve or let them take all the hits if they don't have the cannon. With 99 attack and strength i'll be able to hog most of the exp anyway. With cannon, i take allmost all.

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either

a fool or a coward.

Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law

is both.

For a wounded man shall say to his assailant:

"If I live, I will kill you, If I Die, you are forgiven."

Such is the Rule of Honor.

I was going for 99 hunter but i took a break from it. I know exactly what you mean. Most of the time when someone comes to my spot, i try to out hunt them, but i leave and try to find another world... Its annoying buy everone is going to have to go through it if then want 99 hunting...

35bvvh1.png

[hide=Quotes]

Albel/Justin

Albel doesn't say anything anymore, just comes in, leaves an arrow and vanishes into the night :(Probably
practising some euphonium

You nearly had me fooled, you fooler you

Euphonium/10.

9/10. To me, always associate Albel with musical stuff in OT.

Everyone with a goatee and glasses is Albel now.

lmfao albel m8 wat r u doin, hi though.

[/hide]

[hide=Runescape Achievements]99 firemaking(2007), 99 woodcutting(2008), 99 fletching(2009), 99 magic(2010), 99 cooking(2010), 99 farming(2011), 99 construction(2011), 99 runecrafting(2012), 99 Hunter (2014),  99 ranged (2015), 99 HP (2015), 99 Slayer (2015), 99 attack (2015) 99 Defense (2015) 99 Prayer (2015) 99 Summoning (2015) 99 Strength(2015) 99 Herblore (2015) 99 Dungeoneering (2017)  99 Mining (2017) 99 Crafting (2017) 99 Smithing (2017) 99 Thieving (2017)  99 invention (2017) 99 Fishing (2018), 99 Divination (2018), 99 Agility (2018), MAXED (05/17/2018)[/hide]

On my way to 99 hunter, I just stayed and fought back (retaking spots that they steal, and just waiting it out). There really isn't any way to force them to leave, but just not giving in seems to work fine. You might lose some exp, but you'll also lose exp if you take the time to hop until you find another open world.

I have also found that, if there are two people in the same area, setting up traps in two seperate groups next to each other can actually increase your exp rate a little.

Here's an attempt at a diagram thing for you:

@ = trap, ... = empty spot

@...@@...@

...@......@...

@...@@...@

The only problem is that most people don't know to do this and won't move their traps closer to the bushes to the south so that you aren't so far away that you only get one every now and then.

If all else fails, you can see if they know what a rubber chicken is. :-w :XD: I've never tried it, but it could work. XD

> SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0;

0 rows returned

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

There are only 10 types of people

in this world: those who understand

binary and those who don't.

This statement is false.

$DO || ! $DO ; try

try: command not found

I've seen a whole variety of attitudes from people when hunting.

Most people just log as soon as they see spot is taken, some have even said that they were nearly finished and i could have spot once they were done, which has saved me world hopping for an empty.

On the other hand there are the people that can't leave you alone. Rather than try to hunt alongside (and increase their catch) they would rather chat spam (*Public Off*), range the chinchompas, which makes them respwan faster anyway (I always "lol" at them when they do that) and have had a couple of moronic hunters plant mithril seeds all around the hunter spot, which is really annoying.

The best you can do is be courteous and don't let anyone push you from your spot.

It isn't in the castle, It isn't in the mist, It's a calling of the waters, As they break to show, The new Black Death, With reactors aglow, Do you think your security, Can keep you in purity, You will not shake us off above or below

Scottish friction

Scottish fiction

Totally true. In British afternoon-evening, no world has less than 2 people or a lvl 95+ on it. It is savage the way people snap up worlds.

Hmmm....

I need a new siggy, get round to doing it later.

Probably.

Unfortunately, jumping on your spot isn't against the rules. However, you should always bring a bow and some arrows. If another hunter starts laying traps right on your spot, then step to the side and start ranging the chinchompas. :D

hehe gotta try that one time

Animaslayer.png

Dragon Drops: Platelegs x9, Med Helms x7, Plateskirts x4, Shield Left Half x3, At least 75+ Boots!, Hatchets x5, Ruined Shard x1, Solo Claws x2, Dragon 2Hander x1, Spear x2

Whip x27, Dark Bows x9, Draconic Visage x1

sweetol5.png <- do that when you see me :P