Is God real post your thoughts!

Joes_So_Cool

But what's the point of affecting others? It still sounds to me like it's all circular. You want to affect others for the sake of affecting others... have meaning and purpose for the sake of having meaning and purpose, etc.

I usually help people or advice them, not because I 'want to affect' them, maybe I do... But it's mainly because I feel like they deserve it.

Say, I had a really bad accident and my leg is broken (or I even lost my leg). Would I wish for someone to help me? Of course. That's what even the military is based on today. You don't leave a wounded man behind, think if you are wounded, would you want to be left behind?

So if I see a person who really needs help (and even people who need lesser help, doesn't matter to me), I help them because I'd expect them to do the same to me if I was in trouble. Not that I actually think there are that many people in the world who would care about a stranger's misfortune, but I still do it.

You can follow "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" even without being an exploitable wuss, you don't have to be a helping machine for people. But it's still something nice to live by, because you know those people 'had their prayers answered' (figuratively speaking, even if they're not religious) in times of need.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

God=meaning. What I do in this life affects me in the next.. It's as simple as that?

There are some atheists who believe in the afterlife. Atheism, as has already been mentioned, only means disbelief in higher beings. It doesn't suggest anything to do with other aspects, such as meaning or afterlife.

Wrong. Atheists disbelieve in religion and faith along with God. You can't say that you don't believe that NASA exists but say that you believe NASA sent spaceships to the moon.

Atheists are against having meaning in their life.

untitledyt6.jpg

But what's the point of affecting others? It still sounds to me like it's all circular. You want to affect others for the sake of affecting others... have meaning and purpose for the sake of having meaning and purpose, etc.

I guess it's different for everyone. A few reasons for helping others...

1. I get a good feeling inside whenever I help others and act kindly.

2. I find it unfair that some people are born less fortunate than me, so I choose to help some of those people when I can.

3. I believe that the more we cooperate and help each other the more advanced our species will become.

4. When I finally die, I want to die knowing I've done good things while I was alive, while still managing to enjoy my life to the fullest.

Wrong. Atheists disbelieve in religion and faith along with God. You can't say that you don't believe that NASA exists but say that you believe NASA sent spaceships to the moon.

-_-".

Buddhism.

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

I guess it's different for everyone. A few reasons for helping others...

1. I get a good feeling inside whenever I help others and act kindly.

2. I find it unfair that some people are born less fortunate than me, so I choose to help some of those people when I can.

3. I believe that the more we cooperate and help each other the more advanced our species will become.

4. When I finally die, I want to die knowing I've done good things while I was alive, while still managing to enjoy my life to the fullest.

You just described electrical signals sent to your brain. How does that have anything to do with meaning? There is still no meaning. There is no point to what you are doing, you are just doing it.
untitledyt6.jpg

-_-".

Buddhism.

You are comparing apples and oranges.

Let's take a moment and look at words.

Christian: "Christ's ones," that is, believers in Christ. In Acts 11:26 it says that "the disciples were first called Christians at Antioch.

Even though the word has nothing to do with God or belief in an afterlife, Christians still believe in these things.

Atheists: Atheismentails the absence of belief in the existence of God or other deities.Absence of belief:*"Atheists are people who do not believe in a god.

From looking at the definitions of both words we have not ruled out all the beliefs of each groups.

Use context. Every Atheist I have ever met in real life say,

a.) they don't believe in God

b.) they don't believe in faith

c.) they don't believe in an afterworld.

untitledyt6.jpg

You just described electrical signals sent to your brain. How does that have anything to do with meaning? There is still no meaning. There is no point to what you are doing, you are just doing it.

Those "electrical signals" are all we've got.

What a nonsense, you make it sound like atheists are living meaningless, miserable lives. Atheists have meaning in their life. Atheists just define, what the meaning is themselves. In my case, having a meaningful life means, it's a happy, eventful life.

FYI, I wouldnt class myself atheist but maybe a some sort of agnostic.

Reality is hundreds of times more beautiful and more interesting than delusions. Fairy tales just tend to be easier to follow than the wonderful intricacies of life.

Those "electrical signals" are all we've got.

What a nonsense, you make it sound like atheists are living meaningless, miserable lives. Atheists have meaning in their life. Atheists just define, what the meaning is themselves. In my case, having a meaningful life means, it's a happy, eventful life.

FYI, I wouldnt class myself atheist but maybe a some sort of agnostic.

Look at the context of the usage of "no meaning". In an atheist viewpoint there is no purpose and no reason to life other than the simplistic answer "to exist". Which is not a real answer.
untitledyt6.jpg

The point is, I enjoy those signals, so I continue to help others.

You can break anything down to electrical signals, soundwaves, chemical reactions, light waves, etc. Even your individual belief of God can be broken down -- does that mean its pointless to believe in God?

Atheists disbelieve in religion and faith along with God.

I assume you've never heard of atheistic religions? Take Rebdragon's advice and research a little on Buddhism (Theradava sect).

As for definitions:

Theism - the specific belief of god/gods

Religion - a set of general beliefs and practices followed by a group of people

The two are apples and oranges, like you said, so don't try to compare them with ignorant claims like "all atheists are not religious".

Use context. Every Atheist I have ever met in real life say,

a.) they don't believe in God

b.) they don't believe in faith

c.) they don't believe in an afterworld.

You need to get out more. :lol:

Perhaps some of you will never be satisfied with an alternate "meaning/purpose" to life from the viewpoint of an athiest.

I would like to point out that simply wanting a "satisfactory" meaning to one's life does not mean that religion is necessarily true, even though it fills that void quite easily. Athiests tend to look at the evidence, hence even though there may not be an obvious meaning for their lives, they find meaning.

Here's something that just came to me... What about god? No one ever things about him/her/it. What's the point of "living" or existing for god? He obviously created his own meaning somehow, so why couldn't we?

Runescape Name: "unbug07"

sunsig6yg.png

Expand your mind.

-_-".

Buddhism.

You are comparing apples and oranges.

I compared Buddhism to religion.

You compared NASA to religion.

Yes, I'm the one comparing apples and oranges here.

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

Exactly, atheism is a lack of meaning. Things cannot assign meaning to things that are more universal/authoritative than them. For instance, a student cannot assign his/her own meaning to a course because the student is within the course - the meaning must be given by someone outside of the course (the university, or professor). Just like an atheist cannot assign their meaning to the universe because the meaning/point of the universe cannot be decided by someone within the universe. It must be assigned by someone outside of the universe, and atheism all but destroys the possibility of there being something outside the universe, and thus destroys any possible meaning for the universe.

I live within a house. The house takes on any meaning (purpose) I give it.

To the 3 abrahamic religions (and a few fringe groups), the universe is a class at school.

To everyone else, the universe is a house.

Also plectrum needs to gtfo and read before posting.

wwidas6.jpg

Atheists don't have religion. They don't believe in faith and don't believe in an afterworld.

Buddhists have religion. But they don't have an afterworld.

Atheism is too simple to be confusing.

Perhaps some of you will never be satisfied with an alternate "meaning/purpose" to life from the viewpoint of an athiest.

Because Atheists don't have an alternative viewpoint of meaning/purpose. There simple response is there is no meaning/purpose.

I would like to point out that simply wanting a "satisfactory" meaning to one's life does not mean that religion is necessarily true, even though it fills that void quite easily. Athiests tend to look at the evidence, hence even though there may not be an obvious meaning for their lives, they find meaning.
Atheists may not find meaning but they find meaning? That is a contradiction. Your argument has no ethos.
untitledyt6.jpg

Because Atheists don't have an alternative viewpoint of meaning/purpose. There simple response is there is no meaning/purpose.

There is no divinely instilled meaning or purpose.

Atheism affirms that. What Atheism doesn't affirm is that life has meaning and purpose. If you are trying to hint that there is purpose/meaning for Atheism what is it? Why are we alive? Saying that we enjoy life and that we exist does not answer that question.
untitledyt6.jpg

Atheists may not find meaning but they find meaning? That is a contradiction. Your argument has no ethos.

No, it is not. Read and comprehend. There may not be an obvious meaning to their lives. But they find meaning in other places besides faith in the divine. You, with your narrow-mindedness, may not see it. But they do.

p2gq.jpg

No, it is not. Read and comprehend. There may not be an obvious meaning to their lives. But they find meaning in other places besides faith in the divine. You, with your narrow-mindedness, may not see it. But they do.

I'm not being narrow-minded. I'm trying to understand what the purpose of life is if there is no faith or afterlife. Why are we here?
untitledyt6.jpg

In an atheist viewpoint there is no purpose and no reason to life other than the simplistic answer "to exist". Which is not a real answer.

What the hell gives you the right to speak on behalf of all Atheists? There is plenty a purpose and reason to life. Some devote their life to God, some devote their life to music, others devote their life to their meaningful career, others devote their life to make a difference in THIS world not the next and others devote their life to making ridiculous statements that aren't true. Those are all valid reasons other than 'to exist' you tool. Now go back to speaking for yourself and not behalf of other people.

I'm trying to understand what the purpose of life is if there is no faith or afterlife. Why are we here?

Become the change you wish to see in the world. May that be preaching your God to save peoples souls, may that be helping kids in domestic families, may that be you become a pilot to feel free, may that be you be a house wife and support your family, may that be you bludge off the government, never work a day in your life and devote your life to having fun.

I'm sure we're here on this Earth to murder gays, push our opinions down peoples throats, to tell them if they believe anything other than our religion they will burn in hell and don't deserve to be on this Earth, to tell anyone who doesn't believe in what you believe in that they have no purpose on this Earth.

igoddessIsig.png

The only people who tell you that you can't do something are those who have already given up on their own dreams so feel the need to discourage yours.

No, it is not. Read and comprehend. There may not be an obvious meaning to their lives. But they find meaning in other places besides faith in the divine. You, with your narrow-mindedness, may not see it. But they do. I'm not being narrow-minded. I'm trying to understand what the purpose of life is if there is no faith or afterlife. Why are we here?

Well... You might just as well ask any human or animal who has ever lived on Earth. Why are we any different from animals (we are specificly a species of mammals), just because of our intelligence capacity?

For example, chimpanzees can understand their own existence, and are capable of compassion, love, sharing... Do they have a soul and afterlife? They share 99% of our genes, they just don't have developed vocal chords to create a story around their possible beliefs.

If you look at the life of any average person to have lived in history, his meaning of life was to eat, work, reproduce, pay taxes and die. Now he's decomposed in a graveyard.

Did he have a soul which traveled to some 'underworld' or 'heaven'? Up to faith... But biologically, all that happens is his living functions ceasing, and electronic waves and currents in his brain stop all activity in all parts of his body.

Atheists don't have religion. They don't believe in faith and don't believe in an afterworld.

Buddhists have religion. But they don't have an afterworld.

You really are ignorant, Plectrum. -.-

Buddhism (Theravada sect) is an atheistic religion -- one with plenty of faith and meaning to life.

Also, it's worth noting that not all Buddhists believe in an "afterworld".

Afterlife [in Buddhism]: Rebirth or nirvana. Nirvana is seen simply as the cessation of suffering by some and as a heavenly paradise by others.

I strongly suggest you read a little on the subject of atheism and religion.

http://www.religionfacts.com/buddhism/fastfacts.htm

I'm trying to understand what the purpose of life is if there is no faith or afterlife. Why are we here?

Continuing - Religions other than Christianity serve many reasons of why we are here, without resorting to violence, discriminating others, harsh judgement and accepting people for who they are. Note some Christians aren't like this and I'm thankful for those few.

Spiritualism/New Age/Buddhism etc - To devote your life to spiritual growth, to accept all man kind no matter their sexual preference, race, religion, to follow your heart, to teach life lessons, to honey coat the ego, to live in the now, not the yesterday or the tomorrow, to give when it counts, without evil there can be no good, for example the son who dies in a car accident affects the lives around him to do good in the world, the bully in high school taught your soul to be confident, those murderers taught you compassion for others etc

igoddessIsig.png

The only people who tell you that you can't do something are those who have already given up on their own dreams so feel the need to discourage yours.

You really are ignorant, Plectrum. -.-

Buddhism (Theravada sect) is an atheistic religion -- one with plenty of faith and meaning to life.

Also, it's worth noting that not all Buddhists believe in an "afterworld".

Afterlife [in Buddhism]: Rebirth or nirvana. Nirvana is seen simply as the cessation of suffering by some and as a heavenly paradise by others.

Theravada is the "protestantism" of buddhism, it's a minority sect comprising about 15-20% of all buddhist people.

In numerous buddhist countries, Gautama Buddha is considered divine, and a lot of deities, such as Yama, are considered Gods.

From your own source:

http://www.religionfacts.com/buddhism/deities.htm

In Ma[racist term]a Buddhism, however, the universe is populated with celestial buddhas and bodhisattvas who are worshipped as gods and goddesses. The historical Buddha is honored in this way, but most other Buddhist deities are adapted from the cultures Buddhism has encountered ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ã

No, it is not. Read and comprehend. There may not be an obvious meaning to their lives. But they find meaning in other places besides faith in the divine. You, with your narrow-mindedness, may not see it. But they do. I'm not being narrow-minded. I'm trying to understand what the purpose of life is if there is no faith or afterlife. Why are we here?

Well... You might just as well ask any human or animal who has ever lived on Earth. Why are we any different from animals (we are specificly a species of mammals), just because of our intelligence capacity?

For example, chimpanzees can understand their own existence, and are capable of compassion, love, sharing... Do they have a soul and afterlife? They share 99% of our genes, they just don't have developed vocal chords to create a story around their possible beliefs.

If you look at the life of any average person to have lived in history, his meaning of life was to eat, work, reproduce, pay taxes and die. Now he's decomposed in a graveyard.

Did he have a soul which traveled to some 'underworld' or 'heaven'? Up to faith... But biologically, all that happens is his living functions ceasing, and electronic waves and currents in his brain stop all activity in all parts of his body.

Thank you for being coherent Blue. You will never understand how much I appreciate you right now.

Are you saying that the purpose of life is to eat, work, reproduce, pay taxes and die?

If someone is told that his purpose is to feed all of the starving children in the world but all he does is eat, work, reproduce, pay taxes and die, does he fulfill his purpose?

untitledyt6.jpg

Atheism affirms that. What Atheism doesn't affirm is that life has meaning and purpose. If you are trying to hint that there is purpose/meaning for Atheism what is it? Why are we alive? Saying that we enjoy life and that we exist does not answer that question.

"What is life's purpose?"

and

"Why are we alive?"

are two different questions. One starts with "what" and one starts with "why."

The answer to the first question is, Life's purpose is whatever you want it to be.

The answer to the second question is either "We just are" or "My God has a unifying purpose for making us alive."

wwidas6.jpg

If someone is told that his purpose

No one tells you your life purpose, you decide it yourself. Usually some people choose it from the obstacles and growth they've endured.

For example, the father who grew up in a broken home who is battling to raise his 3 kids, eat, work, sleep and die. His life purpose was to raise his kids better than his own father raised him.

igoddessIsig.png