Is God real post your thoughts!

Joes_So_Cool

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The unicorn argument just given actually decends from Russells teapot argument, that concludes to essentially the same point.

Signature3.gif

With so many trees in the city you could see the spring coming each day until a night of warm wind would bring it suddenly in one morning. Sometimes the heavy cold rains would beat it back so that it would seem that it would never come and that you were losing a season out of your life. But you knew that there would always be the spring as you knew the river would flow again after it was frozen. When the cold rains kept on and killed the spring, it was as though a young person had died for no reason. In those days though the spring always came finally but it was frightening that it had nearly failed.

The unicorn argument just given actually decends from Russells teapot argument, that concludes to essentially the same point.

Really? I didnt even know it was an argument.

To the other guy - my beliefs are flexible, I can change them according to my perception of reality. I dont consider atheism infallible. I concede, that a God could exist. I just argue that there is nothing to suggest that he does, and even if you interpreted something to assume he did, it would not tell us anything about him and therefore the idea of God is redundant and it makes him irrelevent.

Jackattack, you need to take a look at yourself. By admission of being religious and having faith, you choose to believe in something, that even if proven wrong, you would still consider to be of divine inspiration.

Hey.

I assume there isn't a unicorn on the moon for the same reason I assume Jesus didn't rise from the dead.

You may be a fundamentalist atheist if...

You can make a unicorn the centerpiece of an argument involving religion.

You may be a fundamentalist Christian if....

You can make such a big deal about an argument involving a Unicorn and then fail to realise that your own religion is infact just as ridiculous as said unicorn argument.

Hey.

Proved wrong how?

I'm not saying it has been proven wrong. But, the concept of faith demands that you believe even without evidence. So, theoretically, if in the future we develop time travel and we go back to the time of Jesus and see that none of it happened and it was all BS - you would still, if you're following the Bible anyway, believe in all of it.

Trust me, if scientists proved the existence of God, I would change my beliefs. I would become a deist. However, I wouldn't choose a religion, because I'm aware of the fact that any set of beliefs I have chosen, I have chosen because I want to believe in them and because I agree with them. The existence of a God doesn't prove anything to do with the Trinity, Jesus, the Bible - and religions would sitll debate which religion was correct. We would not know anything of said God, so the entire concept would just be irrelevent.

Hey.

^^ You are going to tell me what I would believe?

You can make such a big deal about an argument involving a Unicorn and then fail to realise that your own religion is infact just as ridiculous as said unicorn argument.

wow you are really smart. Came up with that all by yourself did ya? Do even know what fundamentalist means?

You must really think a lot of yourself to say that over 1 billion people on this planet are ridiculous. Where did you get your PhD in theology? Stanford or Harvard?

My carbon footprint is bigger than yours...and you know what they say about big feet.

These are the times that try mens souls...

^^ You are going to tell me what I would believe?

wow you are really smart. Came up with that all by yourself did ya? Do even know what fundamentalist means?

You must really think a lot of yourself to say that over 1 billion people on this planet are ridiculous. Where did you get your PhD in theology? Stanford or Harvard?

My ad-hominem radar is off the chart!

The people themselves aren't ridiculous, just their belief in religion. It doesn't make any sense. Why is the Bible the word of God exactly? Because the Bible says so!

Great logic there. It doesn't take a PhD in theology to realise that one. :o :o

You must really think a lot of yourself to say that every other religious belief that anyone has ever held, EVER, in the history of time, that is not Christian, is wrong. Where did you get your PhD in arrogance? *Insert Elitist University* or *Insert Elitist University*?

Hey.

jackattack, you do realise the argument that "1 billion people can't be wrong!" is obviously fallacious?

Of course he doesn't.

He doesnt realise that the amount of people who believe something doesn't mean anything when you're debating the validity of the belief.

He could have said to me, "You must be so sure of yourself if you think that this ONE BELIEF is wrong." It's this type of ad populum argument that Christians use to make up for the fact that they have no real arguments.

Hey.

Wow you guys sure have some pretty high opinions of yourselves.

How so, I debated in a normal fashion, I never said once religion is a stupid belief, my view is all beliefs are the same, unproven, therefore all beliefs are equal in how smart / dumb they sound. If you really would like to know I hold a very low opinion of myself, I've been diagnosed as severly depressed and how very low self-esteem / self-respect ;) So good generalization.

Mmm, you guys really need to calm down. This isn't supposed to be people going at each others' throats, merely a debate. A very, very unnecessary debate, as of course this would happen, but we're off-topic. We all come together to sing about buttered cats to the stars.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

Wow you guys sure have some pretty high opinions of yourselves.

How so, I debated in a normal fashion, I never said once religion is a stupid belief, my view is all beliefs are the same, unproven, therefore all beliefs are equal in how smart / dumb they sound. If you really would like to know I hold a very low opinion of myself, I've been diagnosed as depressed and how very low self-esteem / self-respect ;) So good generalization.

Nothing can be proven, but beyond a certain point we assume something to be true.

All beliefs aren't equal just because they can't be proven absolutely. If scientists did a ton of research and stated that "smoking is bad for your health" then I simply state, "no, smoking isn't bad for your health" - those two arguments do not hold equal weight.

Hey.

Mmm, you guys really need to calm down. This isn't supposed to be people going at each others' throats, merely a debate. A very, very unnecessary debate, as of course this would happen, but we're off-topic. We all come together to sing about buttered cats to the stars.

Any debate that holds two opposing ideologies, with the acceptance of the other resulting in cognitive dissonance, is bound to cause a bit of argument.

Hey.

Lol, religion is so ironic. If god created the world and science then why can't we use science to prove god's existence?

I still rest my case.

Because god hasn't granted us the knowledge yet to discover his existence perhaps :-k , meh.......Atheism is so much easier to believe in :lol:

Well, to Ag, maybe it's because of faith? He/She wants people to believe in him/her (yes, I've thought God could be a woman, sorta 60/40 in a man's favor) without needing concrete evidence, perhaps. I'd rather have faith and believe I'd die and go to Heaven then believe nothing in the world matters, like the general atheists around my school.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

Well, to Ag, maybe it's because of faith? He/She wants people to believe in him/her (yes, I've thought God could be a woman, sorta 60/40 in a man's favor) without needing concrete evidence, perhaps. I'd rather have faith and believe I'd die and go to Heaven then believe nothing in the world matters, like the general atheists around my school.

Atheism doesn't say that nothing in the world matters. Atheism is the lack of a belief in God.

Stop strawmanning.

Once you start accepting things without evidence then there are no boundaries to your perception of reality. You can literally assume anything you want.

You believe what you want, regardless of reality. Hopefully, you can admit that that is irrational. That's all it takes.

Hey.

They sound like quite pessimistic people, the atheists in your school. What type of atheist are they, materialistic or humanist? Ignoring any faith and spending your life trying to amass material objects is the worst choice in any faith people can take as fas as I can see. My belief is atheistic humanism, I wont force my opinion on others and I'll try to make the world better for people in any little way I can. Stupid materialistic people :lol:

I don't know if anyone's posted this, if they've had I feel it's worth reposting. Faith, in many dictionaries, is defined as believeing in something without any proof of its existence. We may never have any proof that God exists, but you should have faith in that He exists and when you die you will go to heaven or hell. When you ask questions regarding his existence you show a lack of faith. All you have to do is accept God into your heart and never forget he exists.

So why don't you have faith in Zeus or Allah? What if Zeus is the 'true god' and he punishes you for worshipping the false Christian god?

I think the idea of the Nigerian Email scams works nicely as proof that faith is not good (losing money because of your faith in the Email). Do you believe in anything else without proof? Do you look everytime a pickpocket says 'Oh look a plane'?

Why make an exception for Christianity? Its not rational.

Allah is the same person (for lack of a better term) as God. I'd rather have faith in God than have no faith. Why? Because, say i go through life believing God doesn't exist and he does, then I've lost out on something more important than life. If I believe in God and it turns out he doesn't exist, what have I lost?

And regarding the Zeus question, if I truly believe God exists I shouldn't have to worry about other gods, should I?