Gielinor Tribune: 14th Edition (Dec. 1st) ~ NEWEST ~

unorclan

TGTsupsig.png

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

December 1st, 2007

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Gielinor Tribune is the oldest Player-made Runescape Newspaper on Tip.it (Tip.it Times does not count). We've been working hard since May 2007 (the first opening) to make the best RS Newspaper out there and to always keep our reader's expectations.

1. Gielinor Tribune News by Book(GT Manager)

2. The Grand Exchange by Randox

3. The Critic's Choice: New Bank of Runescape by The Critic

4. Interview of Cripplebro99 by Old_Ducky

5. The Real Chosen Commander by Andufus

6. Comic by Dkw0101

7. Runescape and Java by Guest, Llamster

8. FREE PS3's!!!! by Firsttsurugi

9. Imponderables by Book (unorclan on tip.it)

10. The Drunken Dwarf's Tip.iter Pick! by Yours Truly

11. Gielinor Tribune Accepting Guest Articles

12. Gielinor Tribune Staff List

~ Part One: Gielinor Tribune News by Book

Gielinor Tribune Released a Week Early

Some of you may of noticed that this edition of the Gielinor Tribune is being released a week early than our normal schedule. We used to post new editions every Saturday in the beginning stages, but then with new Staff employments and our readers expectations for better and more material we had to move to an edition everyother Saturday. But now, with more active and harder working Staff along with a better Management team, ect. we have tested the abilities of our Staff and, yes, we have succeeded! Plus, with the release of the Grand Exchange we really wanted to get an article out there for our readers to enjoy. Now...enjoy!

- Book (unorclan)

Gielinor Tribune Manager

New Gielinor Tribune Support Sigs!

GielinorTribune.png?

[url=http://z7.invisionfree.com/GielinorTribune/index.php?][img=http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n296/willowstorm641/GielinorTribune.png][/url]

GielinorTribuneReadToday.png

[url=http://z7.invisionfree.com/GielinorTribune/index.php][img=http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n296/willowstorm641/GielinorTribuneReadToday.png][/url]

1195945845qh0.gif

[url=http://z7.invisionfree.com/GielinorTribune/index.php?act=idx][img=http://img77.imageshack.us/img77/9788/1195945845qh0.gif][/url]

ENJOY!

- Book(Unorclan)

Gielinor Tribune Manager

P.S. Curious about how the CAP's coming along? It's going great! But as you might of read in the first article on the GT News, we only had 1 week to do this so getting it released was clearly not an option for the mass amount of time needed to complete it.

~ Part Two: The Grand Exchange by Randox

This weekÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s article will focus entirely on the newly released Grand Exchange. I would like to start with my surprise (and displeasure) at the sheer number of complaints directed at the Grand Exchange. After only 4 hours there were posts on the official forums and multiple fan sites complaining about two things. The first was how the prices werenÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t updating which just shows that they didnÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t read or didnÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t understand the news announcement which stated that the exchange will only update about once per day. The second complaint was about the funny prices of many items that were not really close to the player market at all. All I can say about the second point is that if you expected Jagex to get them all right on the first try, you have another thing coming your way.

Now there was a third complaint, which normally came up in topics that were about the problems stated above. This was the +/- 5% limit. This was absolutely necessary for many reasons. The first was that Real World Item Trading could have greatly benefited by using extreme prices to transfer money. Next, since the exchange updates it prices based on trades, price manipulation would be very easy.

The once a day update does mean that it will take longer for price corrections to occur. The reasoning behind this is likely something of fairness and accuracy. This means people in all time zones can enjoy the same price as everyone else in a 24 hour period. Also, the more data collected between updates, the more accurate the price changes will be.

Jagex has taken great care with their safeguards. First the shop prices of items will shift as necessary so that the selling price is never lower than the maximum exchange price, and the by price will never be above the low limit of the exchange price. Price manipulation is difficult both because of the update speed, and possible safeguards in the system. Jagex has not specified what the safeguards are, but have assured the public they exist.

Now there are a couple ways to calculate the new item price. The first is an average of the gold people paid for an item in that 24 hour period. However Jagex has also likely come up with a supply and demand formula as an addition. This allows items that are not being bought or sold to adjust their prices without any trades at all. A high number of buy requests (regardless of money offered) demonstrates more demand. The money offered is actually trivial in this calculation, because if no one can get the item, they will offer more anyways. Now if lots of people are trying to sell an item (regardless of price) then this tells the system high supply. Now if these 2 things are close to being balanced than minimal price change is needed, but if you get a high supply vs. demand the exchange will lower the price till the items start selling. Now if demand is high vs. supply then the exchange will raise the price until it is worth it for sellers to start selling the item. Now the entire exchange could work on that principal if it was balanced correctly, but I suspect that both systems work in tandem to generate the new price.

Some people have expressed concern about Jagex manually manipulating prices. Assuming they keep their word they will only intervene to correct price manipulation, or a price that is not adapting they way it should.

So enjoy the new feature, and remember that the Jagex people are human and so they make mistakes. Also, most Grand Exchange prices should correct themselves by Christmas.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

iocbannerhz2.gif

The Isle of Crandor, a Runescape Discussion Board and archive of Runescape News.

Please Do Not be discouraged by the low amount of posts, we need active members like You!

!NEW! Part Three: The Critic's Choice: New Bank of Runescape by The Critic

Welcome to the very first article of the newest addition to the Gielinor Tribune, The Critic's Choice by no other than the one and only The Critic!

Welcome! Hope everyone enjoys this article, and can take my opinion, good or bad, lightly and I, myself, will try not to get to serious about some things. Thanks!

Today, as I browsed around the Tip.it forums looking for the very perfect thread that could be my first victim for The Critic's Choice, I decided to venture into popular Runescape Bugs and Suggestions forum. I scrolled up and down the first page looking for a thread I've either heard of before or what looked like a good, organized, and popular suggestion. More F2P Bankspace, nah, I'll take them on later, New Bank of Runescape....ah! Yes, I've seen the support sigs and skimmed over the thread suggestion before. It looked very interesting now, because it had the attractive "**UPDATED**" signs on each side of the thread name.

I opened it up and develed into it carefully looking over the pictures and each idea considering it greatly. Before I get into the topic revealing the goods and the bads, let me help all those forumers that have been living under a rock since November 12th 2005.......Have no idea what this suggestion is and want to know more? Click here to be directly linked to the forum thread.

Now, what you have all been wating for....this is what I have to say about the new bank suggestion:

The Idea:

The idea of having a cleaner, better organized, and easier to use bank is a very old one indeed. This suggestion strikes the heart of that idea, the essence of it all. With the option to organize your items in different sections by either skill, quest, holiday/random event items is a basic and obvious idea but clearly shown with great detail in this suggestion.

Bank Slots:

There are 14 bank "slots" as to organize your items as said before. There are slots for magic, armor, weapons, ranging, fishing, quest, herblore, construction, mining, holiday/radom event items, and woodcutting/fletching slot.

Now, in order to cut down on the amount of time and memory put into this new bank, I think it would be much more reasonable to add the armor and weapons slot together along with the magic and range together. It would be more effective and you wouldn't have so many buttons to click on to find your things.

The Bin:

The Bin is an option for you to drag your items over and drop them on top of the "bin image" and those items then drop onto the floor. There is also the option of highlighting the bin image and then clicking whichever items in your bank and dropping them that way, too.

The idea of this is great and would be very useful for quick-clearing your bank of unwanted junk. There is also the great addition of having a confirmation screen before you drop your first item in that particular "banking session". This would save a lot of people's items who might accidently drop something valuable without noticing. I might recommend that you have the option to close the bin if you want to so you don't drop something in there on accident even after the first confirmation screen.

Other:

The other small parts added in the suggestion are things like the "Space Left" image at the bottom, telling you how much room you have left in your bank. This would incredibly help merchants and skillers alike so that they have the firm knowledge of how much space they have left before they make a big buy or smelt a large amount of bars.

Then theres the lock/unlock option. As said in the suggestion thread, I completely agree - this feature is very useful in keeping your bank sorted. The lock/unlock feature is the simple option of locking that certain item in it's spot so each time you access your bank and put items in that certain item stays in place and the rest of the items fill in around it.

Pictures:

The pictures of this bank have recently been updated in October supplying even a better and more organized view of the new banking idea. Since I'm not a graphic artist, there's not much I can say except they are great. There are a few empty parts that need to be dealt with and filled in with something, but other than that, they are wonderful!

And this is the conclusion to the very first article of The Critic's Choice, thanks for reading.

~ Part Four: Interview of Cripplebro99 by Old_Ducky

Hello Cripple, I'm with the Gielinor Tribune, and I would like to interview you!

When did you begin playing Runescape?

Cripple: I started playing Runescape sometime in January 2004, and have never stopped since.

Are there any goals you're hoping to accomplish?

Cripple: Well, I'm hoping to finish all the inventory achievements. By that I mean to complete all quests, the Achievement Diary, all prayers, music, ect.

How long have you and that goal?

Cripple: I've had this goal for about 4 months, and I'm just about 1/4 done.

When did you find Tip.It's forums?

Cripple: Although I'm not sure of the exact date, it was sometime in the summer of 2004.

Did you find the Tip.it Skill Guides on the main page, or the forums?

Cripple: If you mean that I used the main pages resources before using the forum resources, then yes.

Do you play Runescape in-game more than you view Tip.It? If one, explain why.

Cripple: Well, I'm pretty sure I've spent more hours in game, then on Tip.It, but, maybe in awhile, it'll probably be equal as I spend a little bit more time on Tip.It then Runescape nowadays.

Do you enjoy being a TET Member?

Cripple: Of coruse. We plan events for the whole Tip.It community, which is awesome in itself, and sometimes get up to 200 players at our events!

Have you ever wished to not be one for any reasons of stress or no time?

Cripple: Nope, ever since I've started, itÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s been a ton of fun. The other TET members are some amazing people, and we have some great times.

How did you choose your username?

Cripple: Well, my brother started playing before me, when he broke his ankle, and he introduced the game to me. He also chose my username, so I had no choice! Hence the "Cripple" as in broken ankle, and "Bro" as in brother, and the "99" because I'm amazing like that.

Is there anything you'd like to add?

Cripple: Tip.It has a great community of players, some amazingly helpful guides, calculators, a whole lot of other stuff, and come to Tip.It Events Team Events!

Well, thanks for letting me have the time to interview you!

Cripple: No problem, thank you!

land-of-guthix-ad-banner.png

Come join the Land of Guthix, the NEW RuneScape Forum. This forum contains discussion topics, a market place, off-topic discussions, and even a place to put your own artwork!

~ Part Five: The Real Chosen Commander by Andufus

Note.

This is not based during the current RuneScape. This is before ZanikÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s time. So, yes, I already know Zanik is the commander.

Chapter One: Goblin Caves.

Outside, dusk was setting, but unaware of this; the goblins pranced around as if it were mid morning. Tonight was a night for celebration. A baby had been born to the high priestÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s daughter.

A fire crackled merrily in the centre of the great goblin caves. A high stack of gifts, varying from buttons to reels of thread was piled to the right of it. The mother sat on a log in front of the fire. Wrapped in a brown bundle of cloth, the sleeping goblin kin gurgled softly.

He had an odd birthmark on his forehead, an odd symbol that none of the goblins recognized, a triangle, with three marks meeting in the centre and extending out of each of the ends. Although puzzled by it, the mother chose to ignore it, and thought of the warrior he would become.

A large crashing noise echoed through the caves, and the female goblin looked up, eyes fierce, locating the source of the noise. It was DarkThumb, tripping over a pile of pots and pans. She fixed him with a glare that could make Jad whimper. He smiled apologetically, and then placed a large oak shield on top of the pile of presents. Into it was carved the symbol on the babyÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s forehead.

The glare disappeared, and she beckoned to DarkThumb. He walked over gingerly to her, and sat beside her on the rock.

ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâ¦Ã¢â¬ÅWhere did you find that shield?ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬ÃâÃ

unorclanpixelsigzu1.png

Thanks to the amazing talent of Jopie211 for the sig!

Finest Fist of Guthix Strategy Guide

I'm sorry, but you had grammar errors everywhere. I'm not sure who your editors are, but the loss of a week probably hurt them. Btw, if you passed your test, why are you waiting two weeks for the next issue? :-k

pouserbarkp4.png

Project Onyx Staff Writer. Stories, articles, and opinions, oh my!

I hope my interview comes up soon :D.

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

I'm sorry, but you had grammar errors everywhere. I'm not sure who your editors are, but the loss of a week probably hurt them. Btw, if you passed your test, why are you waiting two weeks for the next issue? :-k

We take into consideration the Holidays (i.e. Christmas). ::'

I'll have to look into those "grammer errors" :wink:

unorclanpixelsigzu1.png

So...are you taking a break for Chanukah? :-s

pouserbarkp4.png

So...are you taking a break for Chanukah? :-s

Exactly! Anyone who doesn't support, well, we thank you for wanting to see The Gielinor Tribune 15th edition so badly. \'

Oh, and everyone was so used to 2 weekly articles that it got a little sloppy. I noticed some in my blah as it was put in the edition layout thingy (I'm not good with words). I'm sure that if we were ever to continue with the weekly schedule, our editors would get back on track, but I'm glad as long as no one says the edition looks like it was typed by a bunch of drunken sailors with emphazima... oh, wait, that's ment to describe bad snoring... my bad.

?r=191108

image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

Currently will be using my Oni Tsurugi account to attempt to get 99 on all free skills without spending any gp, just for the sake of doing so.

fristt, the sailor with enphazema thing...its had a good run. I dont want to see that again till 2008 :lol:

Oh and shadow, were not the only paper to accidently let a few typos and grammar errors get past us :-w

And finaly, to the comment about the picture of Java. The point was that Java can do better then RuneScape, just not in a resonable browser format.

fristt, the sailor with enphazema thing...its had a good run. I dont want to see that again till 2008 :lol:

But I've only used that twice! This time and the time that I said that your article didn't look like it was typed by one. :anxious:

?r=191108

Currently will be using my Oni Tsurugi account to attempt to get 99 on all free skills without spending any gp, just for the sake of doing so.

Oh and shadow, were not the only paper to accidently let a few typos and grammar errors get past us :-w

no kidding.

And finaly, to the comment about the picture of Java. The point was that Java can do better then RuneScape, just not in a resonable browser format.

Yes, look more at the main point than the examples. ::'

unorclanpixelsigzu1.png

no ones commented on my comic yet :ohnoes:

Doc Bender from Ksa did

true. but no one on tip.it did yet :ohnoes:

Join the club, the last time I got a specific comment was...quite a few issues ago. Ah well, normally when its specific its either an outstanding piece, or more commonly to flame it so im happy. :mrgreen:

I love the Randox and Firstt articles!!!

Blame the chinese. LMFAO. So true. Stop trying to kill young americans by using too much lead in your paint.

Yeah even though the prices are off their not that bad.

I love the Randox and Firstt articles!!!

Blame the chinese. LMFAO. So true. Stop trying to kill young americans by using too much lead in your paint.

Yeah even though the prices are off their not that bad.

Wait, I said DON'T blame the Chinese for everything, that I'm sure that there are people in your country that ruins the game, too.

*looks to make sure Book and Azure weren't tampering with my piece*

Edit: I'm surprised nobody flamed me for making them "The Bad" that gets shot.

?r=191108

Endorsing a completely non Tipit Events Team, then interviewing TET Members! :shame:

I don't understand why you have such an issue with H1P. I mean, do you even KNOW you Honest1 was? Honestly, i'm sure you do. :o ...no pun intended

unorclanpixelsigzu1.png

Endorsing a completely non Tipit Events Team, then interviewing TET Members! :shame:

I don't understand why you have such an issue with H1P. I mean, do you even KNOW you Honest1 was? Honestly, i'm sure you do. :o ...no pun intended

I'm sorry, but you just confused the hell out of me with that sentence...

pouserbarkp4.png