Tip.it Times Presents: Maybe It���¢�¢â�š�¬�¢â�ž�¢s Not About the Money?

MPM

I don't really care much about the profit involved as I'm one of the self-sufficient 'Jack of all trades'. Though it may take much longer I get 100% profit and experience :mrgreen:

Legil_galad2.png

Woodcutting does not raise your combat level because most people do not play as yew trees.

Yeah Good article

However, prices are already stabalising (i think) and i suspect them going up slowly again. Everybody has dumped there surplus stuf on the Ge and i am noticing that certain things are not selling at their minimum anymore. Peoples banks are drying up atm. Well i am out of useless junk to dump in Ge

Then about the skills. None are really big moneymakers anymore (if indeed they ever were), but the DIY (do it yourself) player will still make cash.

And some of the skills are not about making money, but more about not having to SPEND the money. I have 84 herby, which at the current prices is not a bit money maker. But still Not having to buy every pot there is makes me rather happy. Especially now that i can make every pot in the list, i can occupy myself with other skills/things and after a week or two i am very surprised how many herbs i have collect without any effort.

...And Q pulls another masterpiece...

Excellent, your a genius :D .

"300 programmers make their futile but glorious last stand against 1000000 angry players in The battle of Misthalin. They fight for honor, glory and new content sacrificing themselves so that their game may live on. This is Madness! This Is JAGEEEX!"

great article. very well written. hopefully this could pound into some players heads that the game is not centered around the almighty gp. i have had friends laugh at me because i've sold things cheap just to get rid of it in the past. they just couldn't seem to understand that i didn't want to waste my time bumping posts or trying to get into world 2....that i just wanted to sell this stuff and get on with playing the game.

it was nice to read an article whose topic dealt with current in-game issues.

rssig2.png

I always love reading Qeltar's work, even if I don't particularly agree with him. However, in this case, I do - great article from a great author. Some people really needed to realize some of these points...

Great work, again, Qeltar.

lSEHB.gif

Being immature is a part of being mature.

an interesting article. but i think when it comes down to it the cause of people getting high skills is money, not always to make money but to save money. but i think with costs falling as they are more people will stop skilling because

1. theres not enough money to be made

and

2.things are much cheaper to buy

but the problem comes with no.2 is that lots of people buy and not many sell, which would make prices go up but because of the 5% thing, theres not going to be an good increase in prices for a while yet

whatcolor_iswhite.jpg

Good article, for a change.

Cooking

The Cooking skill is actually an interesting one as it has seen it all. When I started this game, people could pretty much double their money by buying raw lobsters a 200gp each, cooking them and then selling them to pk'ers for 400gp each. Over the time span of several months the actual profit margin slowly declined and it became harder to sell them, until the point was reached that cooked lobsters and raw lobsters were going for the same price. It remained in that state for quite a while and had a very thriving cooked-for-raw market.

Eventually cooked declined further over the years, especially since RS2 due to the fact that food became less and less important (guthans, pest control, etc).

There are a few exceptions to this, but usually they make money at the cost of leveling more slowly (such as making cannonballs).

Well yeah, that's why the saying that the skill doesn't make money isn't entirely true. It's just that the good ol' time=money factor makes skilling the fastest possible way the most expensive.

Skills like Farming, Fishing, Hunter, Mining and Runecrafting may not make you a RuneScape billionaire

Erm, (high level) RuneCrafting has certainly brought forth quite a few RS billionaires.

I belive the quote is not about the past, but about the present and the future.

Well as far as I know RuneCrafting is still one of the best money making skills around. :?

Qeltar, I hate you, if only for your choice of title. Because now I have that crappy "It's all about the money. It's all about the dum dum dede dum dum." song in my head. You scumbag!!!!!!!

Goals to get my skills back up to a barely respectable level on the high scores:

mayjest.png

Currently going for Bone to Peaches spell. It's amazing how boring doing the same repetitive task is! Stupid MTA

Wonderfully written. =D>

Personally, I skill for fun, not profit. Sure, the profit helps, but being ranked among the legends in a skill would mean more than money ever could.

P.S. Are you psychic or something?

Jagex's recent updates seem to point people more towards skilling for fun, since their new trade system really slims you mass profit gaining methods from skilling.

7 years 'scape knowledge and counting

m8pu02.png

99 Attack - June 8th 2010 99 Defence - August 2nd 2011 99 HP - December 2nd 2011

I dont know why the skillers or anyone else would be upset.... inflation and defaltions dont affect the true vaule of how much you make. becasue in deflations everything goes down in price also so money is worth more becasue it is harder to get and infaltions prices go up and that doesnt matter becasue other things cost more and its easyer to get money.

• 3 weeks later...

All my skills are about the money, or maybe more accurately, about the "stuff" (I really don't care so much about accumulating wealth, it's the things you can get that let you do what you want that is important). The things I want that I cannot make or get in any reasonable period of time myself, are the only reason I level my skills or finish quests.

You may say some skills loose money, but they only do so in a closed loop. That's very shallow skill-thinking. For instance, smithing may loose money if you buy your ore, but mining and smithing together do not. The only time I buy anything is when it helps make money somewhere else, now or eventually (or of course it falls into the category of something I cannot make or get without spending money).

Enjoyment: yes, it is fun to make money and buy the stuff you cannot make or get in a reasonable time.

Social Interaction: a distraction from making money, but sometimes necessary to make money.

Opportunities: yes, to make money. Quests, to give me access to things that let me make money. Skills feed each other--to make money.

Skill Related Rewards: what are these if not to accelerate your ability to make money. Construction makes it easier to get around to make money faster. For instance tele-tabs make it possible to do almost all your normal spellbook teleports while in a different spell book that allows you to do something that makes money or makes it cost effectively.

I couldn't care less about a skill once I pass the point that raising it doesn't do anything for me. As soon as I can craft all the runes I need, carry all the pouches, and get the multiples >I< need, there's no real reason to advance runecrafting. Skill capes don't "do" anything useful in the game, it's just another way to show off.

PKing for some was a way to make money from the spoils of other players (but for me a waste of my time I could be using consistently making money). But PKers indirectly made me money because they killed off the weaker competition for supplies in the wildy I could use to make money. For that reason, my combat levels serve to make me money because I can fend off the PKers who want to kill me, just enough to get the materials I am after (and when I did occasionally die, it's great fun to know they got virtually nothing because I used as much untradable defense as possible; gnome ammy, holy books, cooking gauntlets, etc. and sometimes even carried in a load of rocks or something just so they felt more cheated than getting nothing, but ultimately they were >my< tool for keeping the wildy free of competition so I could make more money).

People cry all the time they can't make money. What they're really crying about is they can't think of new ways to exploit what's out there to make money. I may not have tens or hundreds of millions, but I have everything in RS I need or want and if I wanted all that money, I could easily get it back out of the things I have. And despite the fact that some things are horribly devalued from when I bought them (another thing people cry about), I can make that much more money that much faster now than when I bought them, so it doesn't matter.

Everything new in RS creates opportunities to make money. Sometimes it's only for a short time. The exchange for instance. I made millions when it first opened, now I'm making hundreds of thousands. It's leveling off as a big profit center, so I'm developing other things that make money.

Some people may play RS just to raise their skills so they can stand around and compare them to each other and brag about who's is higher, or claim that "I own you in that skill, ha, ha, ha), but I own everything I want, and can do almost anything I want, and that's much better for me. The skill levels, quests, achievement diaries, those are just a means to that end.

Oddly enough, alot of my skills were leveled due to research.

Cooking to 99? I was tracking the burn rates of Sharks.

Farming? Tracking yield results of watemelons and herbs before and after release of enchanted shears.

Range? Tracking fast xp (about 70k an hour) using cannon while making about 1 mill gp profit each hour.

Smithing? Blast furnace techniques.

Magic? Lunar and Mage Training Arena techniques getting evaluated.

For me, it was looking into the most efficient methods the game offered. Sometimes it delt with seeing that mining iron was the fastest method compared to coal using your house or lyre at the Fremminick place.

Anyway, if research was covered as another reason people level skills, I apologize.

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit