Changes coming to the Grand Exchange

qeltar

Oh well looks good even though they don't adress:

- Liqudity issues. People need to be able to place more orders than 2 as free player or 6 as member player.

Didn't they make the limits 8 and 35 respectively? Or are going to very shortly?

Where did you hear this?

I think he's confusing bank space with lots in the GE. F2P got 8 new bank slots, and P2P got 32... not 35.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My god after reading that all I wanted to do is shout insults at that mod. Players who enjoy making money from the market are all but gone thanks to their wonderful changes. First, they do everything to destroy merhcanting then they talk abou tmerchants, pathetic.

God im so irritated with this delibarte ignorance and throwing dust in our eyes to blind us from the truth.

So what is it that has got your goat?

HereÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s the summary of proposed changes:

1)Correcting the 1% of incorrect prices (chompys, rune boots, black masks etc), great for merchants who can predict which items prices will shift significantly over the next few weeks.

2) They will provide charts/stats on price movements. Gotta assist merchants there ?

3) Creating better floor prices for raw materials = prime merchanting avenue right there for all merchants.

4) They are going to improve the interface of GE ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ thatÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s a good thing.

5) No 5% rule on new items, another great thing for merchants.

You Ego are obviously a merchant of one sort or another, so why would you complain about the above 5 things? You do realise I hope that GE etc was not an evil plan to bash merchants, but was the first step in eliminating RWT - or do you not read the RS front pages?

Similarly this is happening to the market price of rares. (apparently because they are going to be dropped in price by Jagex to let newer players buy them?) I don't believes this rumor one bit, thus buying a green h'ween mask while rares are in this "low", in anticipation that players will realise that they're crashing the market and prices will rise back to normal.

Disconformity.png

Similarly this is happening to the market price of rares. (apparently because they are going to be dropped in price by Jagex to let newer players buy them?) I don't believes this rumor one bit, thus buying a green h'ween mask while rares are in this "low", in anticipation that players will realise that they're crashing the market and prices will rise back to normal.

They are not going to be dropped in price by Jagex. I don't know where THAT rumor came from, but you should have just laughed out loud when you heard it, NOT repeated it here.

BUT let's say they ARE. Let's say Jagex drops them down to 1 mill. Now Newbs can afford them, but WHOM is going to SELL to them for that?

Never going to happen.

"Here lies one whose name was writ in water."

They shouldn't have any restrictions on the GE.

But if they lifted them completely RWT would abuse it.

I don't like the restrictions. But I don't like RWT and those that drop trade to other accounts even more.

"Here lies one whose name was writ in water."

My god after reading that all I wanted to do is shout insults at that mod. Players who enjoy making money from the market are all but gone thanks to their wonderful changes. First, they do everything to destroy merhcanting then they talk abou tmerchants, pathetic.

God im so irritated with this delibarte ignorance and throwing dust in our eyes to blind us from the truth.

This is the way I see it. There are three types of merchants, two of which have been eliminated by this update.

"Short-Term" Merchants: These are the guys that sit there and look for good deals on items, and resell for a higher price not too long after. Since they often buy in small amounts and sell in bulk they were acting as middlemen connecting buyers with sellers - for a price. Now that we have the grand exchange, buyers and sellers can find each other effortlessly (assuming the GE's price is right... some aren't but as the post says they're working on that). You guys provided a nice service, but you need to move on. You've been replaced by something more efficient, you need to accept that.

"Long-Term" Merchants: These anticipate rises in price, invest a large amount of money in such items, and wait for it to increase. If and when it does, they cash in. This is the type of "merchanting" that is not only still possible, but much easier. All you have to do is run down to the GE, put up a lot, and most stuff will be bought instantly.

Price Manipulators: These would play on people's fear of market instability. They'd often employ an elaborate ruse to get people to think that an item was becoming rarer than it actually is. An example of one of these was of course, R2Pleasant. With the GE, however, prices will reflect actual supply and demand, instead of perceived supply and demand. When Jagex adds price graphs, the market will attain a never before seen level of transparency. I say good riddance to this type of merchant...

So yeah, you can still make money off the market by riding the market instead of playing it. If this truly was the only thing that you found fun in RuneScape, just quit, we won't miss you.

SEE??!? I knew Jagex would do something, they are not [wagon]es like everybody seems to think they are. The update they released was a drastic move but it was the ONLY way to remove the RWT'ers and now that they are gone they will fix things.

Mark stated quite a few changes that players have suggested and that are totally necessary to making the GE work.

In their new update post on the RS official site it talks about updates coming to the change this month that will fix issues with it (notably they mentioned the Lootshare system, which to me was the biggest issue due to monster killing being seemingly worthless for groups).

I have full faith that Jagex will be able to fix this up to make everybody happy, and for those that want to further complain, well, we don't want you here anyways, theres no need for a negative attitude towards it, its a game and Jagex is doing everything they can to make it best for everyone to enjoy.

No, all it did was make merchanting into what it should have been in the first place, buying and sell materials to make a profit. Not manipulating the market so they can horde greed through a mistake that Jagex made years ago (making holiday items tradable). And don't think this is coming from someone who has never owned a rare, I have owned 2 phats and several masks and santas in the past, but I simply held onto them for a very long time. This balances out merchanting with the rest of the game.

This goes to prove that Jagex cares a lot more for the community/their players' feelings than everyone else here cares to believe.

Disclaimer:

Dont care that qeltar posted this, not responding to him, but rather commenting on the post.

So, what can we do to stop this from happening? Firstly, DONÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢T PANIC! Panicking just makes things worse. Prices on these objects will settle down in time. If youÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢re a player who enjoys making money from the market then be patient. This instability a temporary thing;

Not that it's any consequence Ego Scorpion, but I thought you said you were quitting. How long is it taking you to hit the big red "X"?

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

Dear -Peronix-:

Thank you for your wodnerful input, however, answer me a few questions.

When you say we who do you mean? You and few other people on TiF? I certainly hope you dont use we in the same context as people use everyone?

Moving on...

You listed some categories based off of your extremely limited knowledge in this matter, so let me give you a larger perspective.

Most people, clueless people, hear merchant and think someone hwo buys for lowest going price and sells for highest. In reality there is msut more to it. Like buying for nothing and selling for avg? Works much better and quicker too.

Also, when you talk about price manipulation, you are basing it off of what yo have read on the forums, posted by people that think they may have heard something. Reality is often different from that which was written on forums.

Like how some people I will not name, accuse other people who became richer than them in half the time though legitimate merchanting price manipulators, in order to feel better about being outplayed.

----------------------

Dear wakka102:

So all those people who were trading rares in runescape are automatically price manipulators and cheaters who dont deserve to make a profit?

For a second here look past your own feelings towards a particular person and look at the bigger picture. People who merchant rares achieve more than most people ever could. Sure, there wasnt a lot of them, but they still had their place in the game, like everyone else.

I guess being on one side of the fence and trying to explain to singleplayer clickscape players that there are other ways of getting to where you are is rather pointless, some people are not capable of anything other than hate.

------------------------------

Makoto_the_Phoenix, are you sure bleach fans are old enough to use the intrawebz and play runescape and use forums? I have already stopped playing, but doesnt mean im going to stop posting on forums. Im just here to battle hipocracy and if the price of it is being hated by the hypocrates ill gladly accept that. Like I said in the other thread, I need the respect of certain people like I need cancer.

Just think how boring life would be if everyone mindlessly agreed with all the stupidity and never used their brain to read between the lines and think one step ahead.

edit:

To further clarify for those intellectually challenged.

Whatever idea of merchanting you think there is or you think there should be is not the same as having a free market where you are free to buy and sell at any price you want. When 2 people trade, much like when people buy and sell on stock exchange, both parties feel that they are getting a good deal and walk away happy. And if one party gets underpaid or overpaid, well, people just learn from their mistakes.

And as for price manipulation, to save the time for the next posters who will attempt to dismiss me as a price manipulator, how about offering some solid physical proof beyond the shadow of the dobut, you know, kinda like the proof that exists when you are banned for gold selling.

Game Name: Ego Scorpion

Party Hat Sets: 4

Bank Pictures: http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?t=712645&start=0

ego_scorpion.png

Not trolling

This is a bad move by Jagex. This purely means that they will cave in under the pressure of people.

Personally, I would like to see a continued use of set prices. What is the reason for wanting to set your own prices? If everyone is paying the same, what does it matter? I swear this game is becoming more about who has the money then about getting the equipment you need to do other activities.

mergedliongr0xe9.gif

Sig by Ikurai

Your Guide to Posting! Behave or I will send my Moose mounted Beaver launchers at you!

When I say "we" I mean the people who are generally optimistic about Jagex's... to say the least, controversial moves.

About price manipulators; I'm basing this on the topic where R2Pleasent explained to tip.it how he manipulated the price on certain rares. Not quite clear on the details, but essentially what he was doing was toying with this "bubble market" to get the prices to rise, and then quietly selling out his stock before people realized what was going on and the prices went down again. People even paid him to tell them which rare's price he was going to screw with next...

Yes I admit my knowledge on the subject is limited, but I know that it's still possible to make money from the market. By the way, I'm not calling you (ego) a price manipulator like R2. I know nothing about you, so despite Duke calling you that I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt.

Dear wakka102:

So all those people who were trading rares in runescape are automatically price manipulators and cheaters who dont deserve to make a profit?

For a second here look past your own feelings towards a particular person and look at the bigger picture. People who merchant rares achieve more than most people ever could. Sure, there wasnt a lot of them, but they still had their place in the game, like everyone else.

I guess being on one side of the fence and trying to explain to singleplayer clickscape players that there are other ways of getting to where you are is rather pointless, some people are not capable of anything other than hate.

You make it sound like im some single minded player that hates all merchants, which isnt true. Merchants helped to keep prices stable while making profit, or at least the types of merchants that I thought embodied the title of "merchant". Rares, to me, always seemed like more of an exploit, something that was wrong in the game and never fixed (and probably never will be), and because of this I never saw rares as something that should be one of the best money makers in the entire game. Skills and participation in the games functions should be that way to make the most amount of money. I think now it is more balanced, Merchanting will still be a way to make some money, but not as much as you might gain from a skill or killing a monster, its something that can be done on the side by all players, which is how I feel it should have been in the first place.

Dear -Peronix-:

You seem like a reasonable person, so allow me to shine some light on the matter. Certain players who I will not name proceed to spread countless rhumors and lies about me 3 years ago when I actively merchanted, due to the fact that I started making a lot of $ really fast and rivaled their wealth.

In order to attempt to justify themselves and somehow make the competition look bad, a lie of webs was spewed. That very same hipocritical person was selling gold the whole time for real life money and is one of the peal who caused this change to be implemented.

Whatever R2 did, I was not playing at the time and I dont care about. However, the person who actively calls me manipulator to jsutify his own failures was actively trading with R2. R2 was my aquintance before I quit so when I came back I got the story from him first hand. In particulars the gory details of all the sales and bans.

Personally, I dont merchant. Like I said before, I ABSOLUTELY LOVE skilling in runescape. I hate combat, I dont pk, I dont stake, I just love buying supplys at my prices for fun and leveling. Another thign I absolutely love is using my vast wealth to support my close friends. As you can see, with the upcoming trade change niether will be possible, alas the reason for my quitting. I am very upset and dissapointed and thus very skeptical about anything that Jagex might say.

Lastly, I dont rejoice that certain groups of people are unhappy or quit, I present reasons to people to show how they are wrong when they condemn other people and gloat over their mysery.

------------------------------

Dear wakka102:

There are many types of merchants and merchanting out there. Some more honorable than others, but most of them work. For most people, rares as a symbol of wealth, power, or achievement. My rares for me are nothing but sentimental and as such I sai dbefore I will never sell them, I just have them to remidn me of what I accomplished.

My character is 1600 skill total, with a lot of 80+ skills. I love skilling, but I love doing it on my own terms, not using the prices set by some midnless zombies at jagex towers who dont know no better and totaly screw some skills, ex. herblore.

The combination of reasent changes and the way they were presented built up my mind in regards to jagex and my skeptisism. Yes, I am upset that I am litereraly being forced to quit because I can no longer enjoy the game the way I want to. Only things ive been doing is buying up tons of supplys for myself and freinds to lvl and mind you I have not sold any rares I still have all my phats.

Now, you may play any way you want to, I am not condemning that, I am just saying I had a certain way I l iked to play and I am upset over the changes.

Hopefuly that will clarfiy some points for those who care to read and not just buy into the lies that are commonly being spread by insecure cheaters.

ego_scorpion.png

Ego, it's obvious to me that you don't like being accused of being something you're not, so I can't fathom why you'd accuse Jagex of lying about this.

They did take something you loved out of the game, which I assumed was merchanting but I guess I was wrong there. I can understand how you feel; but you're taking it way too personally. They did it to stop RWT, not to spoil your fun.

Go in any f2p world previously infested with bots, and you'll see almost none. Go to any cheat site and you'll see that RWTers have all but given up hope. They've won. Is it really so hard to believe that now that they're done dealing with these players that they'll turn their attention to fixing what got left behind?

actually mod mark didn't write that, i sent in a query to ask if he did, and as i thought he didnt.....nice lie

Go to the RSOF forum, under Recent Updates.

Look at the sticky "Grand Ex. Concerns" by Mod Mark.

kthxbai

icecube7.jpeg

egoeg5.png

'Nuff said.

2153_s.gif

When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. ~Jonathan Swift

userbar_full.png

Website Updates/Corrections here. WE APPRECIATE YOUR INPUT! Crewbie's Missions!Contributor of the Day!

Thanks to artists: Destro3979, Guthix121, Shivers21, and Unoalexi.

"Short-Term" Merchants

It still exists, no matter what people say. Profit margins are just smaller. Instead trading volume much higher Profit possibilities are similiar to before, given you got enough cash to start with.

"Long-Term" Merchants

I have always rather called this group "investors", since it has nothing to do with merchanting at all. And indeed, the Grand Exchange has now offered the possibility to speculate in price increases of materials, something that generally wasn't practically possible before.

Price Manipulators

People may be going to see "hoarding manipulation" going on, but at least that is based on something (a real shortage, intentionally created), unlike the various pure psychologic price manipulation done in the past.

-Peronix-, yes, they got rid of RWT, but the problem is, rest of the players had to pay a huge price for it. Personally, I coudlnt care less becuase it did not affect me my friends werent quitting over it.

Yes, thats a bad way of looking at it, but im honest about it. Now its gone, along with more htan half of my friend list. Guess its a lose lose situation, but it sure does suck being on the lose side.

---------------------------------

tryto, congratulations, you discovered the intrawebz, america, and definition of merchanting.

And I discovered your motives:

Mountain Jam Overall 686,286 1,024 10,975,141

Its ok for newer players to hate that which they can not have or understand. I love you

ego_scorpion.png

I don't like the fact Jagex is interferring with the prices. Set minimum prices, buying items themselves (through the shops they will introduce that buy your raw materials at a low, but still reasonable price).

Say they introduce some "maple trader" NPC who buys your maples at 70 each. Normally, money would only be transferred from one player to another. This way, a lot of extra gp would enter the game. This isnt "natural".

I do understand they *had* to do something. Once you start interferring (setting prices in GE, yet adaptable), you'll have to keep tweeking it. A computer program can never replace the flexibility of a real player market. Or at least, their program aint doing it.

tryto, congratulations, you discovered the intrawebz, america, and definition of merchanting.

Funny. You see, I've merchanted in the past. Made a lot of money for a brief period of time while experimenting with it. Never ripped anyone off.

In fact, I had several transactions where someone tried to buy something for too much or sell to me for too little and I corrected his or her prices.

Being a merchant is not necessarily about ripping people off. It only is to those who are so selfish that they only care about making maximum profit at any cost.

And yes, those are exactly the sorts of people that Jagex is trying to drive out of the game. For good reason.

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png