Has Jagex Forced Prices up of Items that were Undervalued?

DegenerateX

Jagex doesn't control the economy...Some people don't know that grand exchange as PLAYER SET PRICES, and is based on what is sold for lowest, mid price and mnax price of a 5% money difference over a 24 hour period...for that...some people have been paying gold bars max price over a few days

Have you read any of this thread?

The whole point is that people like me :( with 32k yew longs :( cannot sell them for what other people are willing to pay because jagex HAS controlled the prices I can and cannot sell them for

i did read the thread...and my point is that they don't control prices...The point is people want to buy items fast, so they buy at highest price, when they want to sell, they sell lowest price no matter if they take the loss. For your problem with the yew longs is that alchers will lose money if they buy it off the GE.

This is straight from the knowledge base on the GE

FAQ

What affects the price of items?

As you buy and sell, you'll probably notice that items have a tendency to change price. This is based on how much value players put on those items. If an item is hard to get and very useful, you'll probably see its price increase, as buyers are willing to pay more to make sure they get some, and sellers set the selling price higher than the average.

This is also true of common, less useful items, which may decrease in value.

This is called the Law of Supply and Demand.

* If an item is in high demand with low supply, the price will increase.

* If an item is in low demand with high supply, the price will decrease.

* If the demand for an item is matched by its supply, the price will remain fairly constant.

Because you can normally only bid 5% above or below the average price of an item, you'll find that there is little risk of an item's price plummeting or skyrocketing too rapidly. This makes it harder for players to manipulate prices and ensures that everyone gets a fair deal.

Prices are entirely set by players trading! There is no 'set value' that prices are based on, with the exception that a price will never rise above a shop's main stock price, or fall below the price a shop will pay for it. Note that shops will adjust their prices according to the Grand Exchange, so it is extraordinarily difficult to make a quick profit by buying from the shops and selling on the Grand Exchange and vice versa.

The prices items sell at are therefore not set by Jagex but by the players themselves! We are keen to keep a player-driven economy, so the prices are worked out using the supply and demand rules above. We will only intervene as a last resort, and only if we think price manipulation is going on, although the system has lots of safeguards to prevent that.

The market value of an item is automatically recalculated roughly once per day.

I'm not trying to break rules i'm just saying this doesn't show jagex controls the economy..

Oh, really? Where is the magical shop that sells raw chompys for 85ea? Entirely by player trading, right...

2153_s.gif

When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. ~Jonathan Swift

userbar_full.png

Website Updates/Corrections here. WE APPRECIATE YOUR INPUT! Crewbie's Missions!Contributor of the Day!

Thanks to artists: Destro3979, Guthix121, Shivers21, and Unoalexi.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jagex doesn't control the economy...Some people don't know that grand exchange as PLAYER SET PRICES, and is based on what is sold for lowest, mid price and mnax price of a 5% money difference over a 24 hour period...for that...some people have been paying gold bars max price over a few days

Have you read any of this thread?

The whole point is that people like me :( with 32k yew longs :( cannot sell them for what other people are willing to pay because jagex HAS controlled the prices I can and cannot sell them for

i did read the thread...and my point is that they don't control prices...The point is people want to buy items fast, so they buy at highest price, when they want to sell, they sell lowest price no matter if they take the loss. For your problem with the yew longs is that alchers will lose money if they buy it off the GE.

This is straight from the knowledge base on the GE

quot;]]

FAQ

What affects the price of items?

As you buy and sell, you'll probably notice that items have a tendency to change price. This is based on how much value players put on those items. If an item is hard to get and very useful, you'll probably see its price increase, as buyers are willing to pay more to make sure they get some, and sellers set the selling price higher than the average.

This is also true of common, less useful items, which may decrease in value.

This is called the Law of Supply and Demand.

* If an item is in high demand with low supply, the price will increase.

* If an item is in low demand with high supply, the price will decrease.

* If the demand for an item is matched by its supply, the price will remain fairly constant.

Because you can normally only bid 5% above or below the average price of an item, you'll find that there is little risk of an item's price plummeting or skyrocketing too rapidly. This makes it harder for players to manipulate prices and ensures that everyone gets a fair deal.

Prices are entirely set by players trading! There is no 'set value' that prices are based on, with the exception that a price will never rise above a shop's main stock price, or fall below the price a shop will pay for it. Note that shops will adjust their prices according to the Grand Exchange, so it is extraordinarily difficult to make a quick profit by buying from the shops and selling on the Grand Exchange and vice versa.

The prices items sell at are therefore not set by Jagex but by the players themselves! We are keen to keep a player-driven economy, so the prices are worked out using the supply and demand rules above. We will only intervene as a last resort, and only if we think price manipulation is going on, although the system has lots of safeguards to prevent that.

The market value of an item is automatically recalculated roughly once per day.

I'm not trying to break rules i'm just saying this doesn't show jagex controls the economy..

[/hide]

Oh, really? Where is the magical shop that sells raw chompys for 85ea? Entirely by player trading, right...

Well I'm glad I've been proved wrong. Other than that price will probably start going down sooner or later.

i no! another 1 is d ax used 2 b 1.2 now its almost 4m!

Ancient sith quote-

Peace is a lie there is only passion,through passion i gain strength,through strength i gain power

through power i gain victor,through victor my chains are broken the force will free me.

darthbane53.png

While I don't like Jagex making price floors for items I WILL say they aren't "nerfing" alching.

They are "nerfing" the ability of players to raise their mage level quickly by BUYING everything they need to alch, and STILL makeing money while doing so.

And quite honestly I agree with that. Players should NEVER of been able to buy everything to speed level and still make profit.

Yew longs still 704 each? Nice player controlled GE prices Jagex...

"Here lies one whose name was writ in water."

The pure and simple truth of the matter is:

You were NEVER meant to be able to make large gp profits buy simple buying in certain items and alch runes. Alching was only meant to be profitable if you made everything yourself, and this was the case a few years ago.

The thing is so many people flooded certain resource markets that prices crashed way to far and this stupidly easily money maker opened to the masses.

All Jagex has done with thier price floors is ensure that you can no longer make big profit alongside mage xp by merely buying products. Now once more if you want the profit you have to make at the very least the item you are alching.

Lol what? Alching cost money a LONG time before the GE came out.

You were NEVER meant to be able to make large gp profits buy simple buying in certain items and alch runes. Alching was only meant to be profitable if you made everything yourself, and this was the case a few years ago.

The thing is so many people flooded certain resource markets that prices crashed way to far and this stupidly easily money maker opened to the masses.

All Jagex has done with thier price floors is ensure that you can no longer make big profit alongside mage xp by merely buying products. Now once more if you want the profit you have to make at the very least the item you are alching.

While I agree with Paw_Claw about making money while BUYING everything for a skill I have to disagree about Jagex removing their vaunted "player controlled prices" to do so.

If a player is willing to SELL at a lower price, then what's the problem?

I'd rather sell my products, then keep them for months/years in my bank because Jagex decided players are to stupid to run the economy.

Which is weird, because we ran it just fine for almost 7 years....

"Here lies one whose name was writ in water."

While I agree with Paw_Claw about making money while BUYING everything for a skill I have to disagree about Jagex removing their vaunted "player controlled prices" to do so.

If a player is willing to SELL at a lower price, then what's the problem?

I'd rather sell my products, then keep them for months/years in my bank because Jagex decided players are to stupid to run the economy.

Which is weird, because we ran it just fine for almost 7 years....

The market is playered controlled, it just has floors to stop economic crash.

And in the grand scheme of it we as players DID NOT run the economy well for 7 years.

Over the past 7 years the market has become gradually more polarised as resource prices kept slowly falling and the prices of armours rares etc kept getting pushed ever higher.

Why so?

We demanded cheap resources and got them but were making so much gp come into the game useful item prices had to rise to match.

Eventually we would end up in a market where you could buy resources dirt cheap and extremely easily, but make so little profit off them you'd be saving for months to get even a barrows set.

Simple reality being between greed hungry players and bots we were slowly destroying the economy and it was becoming heavily unstable, hence why you could buy buckets for like 1mil ea if needed in a quest area.

All the more recent players are just like oh noes controls!!!!!! Anyone whos stayed the course of time in rs can see these items aren't all that much different in price now from when the market was stable, before runescape gained alot of popularity especially among the "none of the work but all the reward" type of people.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

And in the grand scheme of it we as players DID NOT run the economy well for 7 years.

Over the past 7 years the market has become gradually more polarised as resource prices kept slowly falling and the prices of armours rares etc kept getting pushed ever higher.

Why so?

We demanded cheap resources and got them but were making so much gp come into the game useful item prices had to rise to match.

Eventually we would end up in a market where you could buy resources dirt cheap and extremely easily, but make so little profit off them you'd be saving for months to get even a barrows set.

Simple reality being between greed hungry players and bots we were slowly destroying the economy and it was becoming heavily unstable, hence why you could buy buckets for like 1mil ea if needed in a quest area.

All the more recent players are just like oh noes controls!!!!!! Anyone whos stayed the course of time in rs can see these items aren't all that much different in price now from when the market was stable, before runescape gained alot of popularity especially among the "none of the work but all the reward" type of people.

Your argument is still flawed in the sense that alchemy DID :!: :!: :!: cost money before Jagex decided to "fix" yew longs.

And what are you talking about with barrows? Except for the recent month or so when Jagex began directly interfering in the economy they've done nothing but drop. Same with about every other expensive piece of armor/weapons.

Your points are very good apart from the fact that they aren't true.

they where 1.4 before they got there bonus :wink:

My private chat is always ON.

Winner of The Tip.It Teamcape Outfit Contest!

6 years. 1 dragon CS drop and some barrows, bad luck?

99melee.jpg

Why so?

Your argument is still flawed in the sense that alchemy DID :!: :!: :!: cost money before Jagex decided to "fix" yew longs.

And what are you talking about with barrows? Except for the recent month or so when Jagex began directly interfering in the economy they've done nothing but drop. Same with about every other expensive piece of armor/weapons.

Correction there WERE items you COULD alch before the updates and make profit buying it all in.

As for the barrows point yes these items are dropping in value overall.

But they are still becoming polarised.

The only reason (for example) barrows and whips dropped was better items arriving.

This means those items dropped into no mans land on the road to uselessness while the new uber items replaced them but at a higher cost.

The basic results being each time new useful items came out they become a bit more costly.

Continue this trend down the line and you'd reach a stage where useful items were over 100mil while resources etc were all under 30gp

The general motion of the economy is not defined by the rise or fall of any single object, but by what happens to the general areas (eg useful objects get more costly with each new improvement)

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

no, that does not mean rwters will be able to trade inbalencedly, why? they trade 10 items that are worth 13k in your opinion that are worth 200k in jagex opinion... they aparently make 187k profit according to you, not quite because the only opinion that matters now is jagex, BECAUSE nobody can trade at your pices anymore. problem solved

no, that does not mean rwters will be able to trade inbalencedly, why? they trade 10 items that are worth 13k in your opinion that are worth 200k in jagex opinion... they aparently make 187k profit according to you, not quite because the only opinion that matters now is jagex, BECAUSE nobody can trade at your pices anymore. problem solved

1) "inbalencedly" is not a word. try "to execute an unbalanced trade"

2) unfortunately, for 1 item to be 13k in a player's opinion and 200k in JaGEx's opinion, that's not up to players. JaGEx sets a price, and players work with it. That's how it all started, even back from the beginning of RS2. (i can't say for RSC b/c I haven't played it.) Now, with the "unbalanced" rise in prices since 2001, JaGEx felt it was necessary to bring back price controls to steady the economy, in which the poor got poorer and the rich got uber-freakin-richer. RWT is not the only problem. You wonder why JaGEx stopped players from trading holiday items. They had to take it up on their shoulders and do something about it.

~WSW~

okay if jagex aint controling the ge price can some one tell me why yew long is lowest price is 704 since the firts day of ge , been the second day of ge i have 4.4 k yew long at minimum price and the price fixed by jagex aint going down ? something dont fit ? the 5 % aint applicable on this item ?

we didnt noticed a lil paraphram write in very very small at the end of the '' update annouce'' by jagex saying they will control some price ?

something to say about my english grammar ?!?!? , okay , but do it in french !

Everyone here is arguing that Jagex just put a price bottom in that would stop it from being alched.

Well let me tell you something...That's still Price Manipulation.

I'm sick of listening to some of you babble how Jagex is just doing this so people don't just alch and make vast amounts of money. Well let me tell you this. The prices will correct themselves! As soon as an item is discovered that becomes worth alching for profit people will try to outbid each other to buy it in mass which will drive the price back up until it's unprofitable again.

Jagex IS limiting a player's want to sell something.

If a player wants to sell his gold bars below 210 each then by all means let him do so. The Grand Exchange still gives you more money if someone has put an offer higher than that so it's self correcting.

Looking for someone to teach me how to Armadyl farm - pm me

10,200th Person to Achieve 99 Magic on 1/10/08

I'm sick of listening to some of you babble how Jagex is just doing this so people don't just alch and make vast amounts of money. Well let me tell you this. The prices will correct themselves! As soon as an item is discovered that becomes worth alching for profit people will try to outbid each other to buy it in mass which will drive the price back up until it's unprofitable again.

Well said. This is exactly my point but I was too lazy to type it up.

Consider the case of rune meds, sometimes these used to be sold (individually) for 10k flat just because it is a nice round number.

As soon as the exchange was implemented the first thing to happen was for their price to 'stabilise' such that the market price + nature rune price was > than the alch value. Arbitrage opportunities will be very quickly corrected by the market

lvl 58 crafting

lvl 50 firemaking

[hide=sum quotes tbh]

Why so?

Correction there WERE items you COULD alch before the updates and make profit buying it all in.

The only reason (for example) barrows and whips dropped was better items arriving.

This means those items dropped into no mans land on the road to uselessness while the new uber items replaced them but at a higher cost.

The basic results being each time new useful items came out they become a bit more costly.

Continue this trend down the line and you'd reach a stage where useful items were over 100mil while resources etc were all under 30gp

The general motion of the economy is not defined by the rise or fall of any single object, but by what happens to the general areas (eg useful objects get more costly with each new improvement)

[/hide]

I see more where you're going now Paw Claw, but I don't see why all xp has to cost money. Fletching doesn't. Why does magic have to?

Furthermore, just because newer and better equipment is being introduced doesn't mean that old equipment is useless now - it's just as good as it ever was, now there's just even better stuff. Sure everyone wants the best himself, but consider how much easier training has become since RSC.

In regard to resources, I think it's worth pointing out that not all were crashing - yew logs had skyrocketed into the 400s well before the GE. The reason most of them crashed was because of gold farmers, nothing more. With gold farmers destroyed in the trading update, I don't believe that this was necessary.

I see more where you're going now Paw Claw, but I don't see why all xp has to cost money. Fletching doesn't. Why does magic have to?

Bob, you do have to spend money for fletching. It's harder to buy fletching than magic though. You can easily cut wood @ lvl 1, and make it into shafts @ fletch lvl 1. You could also buy enough wood, and lose money by doing that, but you gain experience. You could buy all the flax you want instead of picking it, saving some time.

Money is spent to save time, time that could be used for other things, like leveling other skills.

With magic (albeit, we're mainly talking about nature runes), you can only rc nats @ lvl 44, not lvl 1 rc. It's EASIER to buy nats than make em yourself, and unfortunately, it's the only way f2p gets nats. That's why it costs money to do both fletching and magic, moreso with magic than fletching.

~WSW~

If the price is that bad, I believe it'd just drop back down to the normal price, supply & demand ::'

I think that prices can only change when the item is bought/sold on the GE, so if noone buys, the price will stay the same. I'm pretty sure that noone has ever bought a cut onyx on the GE because of it's nice rounded price range.

Actually this is wrong.

The longer it takes for items to sell, the lower the price goes. The longer it takes for items to be bought, the higher the price rises

Pretty much items that no body buys will keep on dropping until they are worth buying. When it all levels out there will almost always be instant sell for lowest, and instant buy for highest.

The GE is 100% working how its supposed to.

sig.jpg

Bob, you do have to spend money for fletching.....

Fletching was a bad example. What about mining?

Do you find it ridiculous that for one click I can gain 50xp AND a commodity that I can easily dispose of for at least 150gp ? So what? (I am still convinced the market will eventually self correct itself if it was possible to make money by buying natures and an item and alching the item, so this is to me is a moot point anyway).

The GE is 100% working how its supposed to.

I want to sell something for x, player Steve wants to buy it for x..

But we cannot trade through the GE. If to you this is 100% how it's supposed to be then fair enough, but to me it's not.

lvl 58 crafting

lvl 50 firemaking

[hide=sum quotes tbh]

Why so?

[/hide]

Furthermore, just because newer and better equipment is being introduced doesn't mean that old equipment is useless now - it's just as good as it ever was, now there's just even better stuff. Sure everyone wants the best himself, but consider how much easier training has become since RSC.

In regard to resources, I think it's worth pointing out that not all were crashing - yew logs had skyrocketed into the 400s well before the GE. The reason most of them crashed was because of gold farmers, nothing more. With gold farmers destroyed in the trading update, I don't believe that this was necessary.

Goldfarmers were there BECAUSE of player demand for cheap resources, hence it was ultimately our fault that resources were all slowly being forced down. Again this "skyrocketing" of yews you mention is based on a couple of weeks market time. Take the bigger pictures of years and yews were falling.#

Yes I know items aren't totally useless when better ones come out, but stop and notice that all the items that were amazingly good hit bargin basement prices as better stuff comes along and the better stuff is always more expensive.

I mean there was a time when full run set you back a good 1mil

Dragon came along and boom 250k for a rune set

Then barrows arrive and dragon plummets in value.

And correction there to your theory about xp costing money:

No xp in game HAS to cost money there are ways around it

However BUYING xp does cost money

Buying in logs for fast fletching xp costs you alot of money

Buying in junk to alch and runes for mage xp costs you money

Buying in food and pots for combat costs you money.

When it comes down to it every skill CAN be in someway "bought" or aided by buying supplies. And every skill you train sololy this way makes a lose. Magic was the odd one out as the distorted market meant you could buy in profitable alching.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Mining? Agility? Hunter? Woodcut? Fishing?

How can I buy these?

By 'bought or aided' do you mean I buy a rune pickaxe instead of the bronze pickaxe we get on tutorial island? That's irrelevant

I still disagree with alching being profitable. I am convinced that with a full functioning GE the market would auto-correct to things like this.

Do you know an example to prove otherwise?

lvl 58 crafting

lvl 50 firemaking