What are your views on a Runescape Girlfriend/Boyfriend?

Knitewulf

Don't mean to argue or banter or to keep fueling the fire! I hope I'm not coming off as argumentative - I totally see (and agree with most) of your side of the matter!

Not at all. You are using the forum in the best possible way and encouraging debate, which i welcome.

You raise some very good points. However, I would still always say that, for me anyway, a romantic relationship would have to lead somewhere. Admittedly many people concerned are teenagers and perhaps for them it seems nice to have someone to talk to online etc.

But I think really i'm taking this from a more adult perspective and would say that surely you wouldn't intentionally enter into a relationship that you knew would never lead to anything. In suggesting this, I am saying that if you never intend to meet that person, then what's the point of having it as a relationship? And if you do intend to, then that goes back to my argument of how do you really know who that person is?

Understandably, I may be looking into this too much, but i picked up on the use of the word "love" in the OP, and my point is that perhaps this was too strong a word to use with regards to an online relationship that was only meant for a bit of fun and company, to stay online. If it is because the OP actually feels that strongly, then can you really know that you love a person if you have only ever communicated with them online?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see anything wrong with having an in-game partner for role-play, or just to describe a close friendship, as long as you don't do anything dangerous in real life. On the other hand, taking it to the point of having in-game "weddings" or such like is rediculous. It seem sad to crave that kind of relationship that you don't have to that extent.

If absolute power corrupts absolutely, where does that leave God?

knitewulf my friend, it would be funny if your girlfriend turned out to be a boy, or someone alot older or younger than you... I personally disagree with the idea of having an online boyfriend/girlfriend unless you personally know them.

*Sigh* This is a touchy subject. I personally know a Moderator who has a Boyfriend on runescape that's not a moderator. I also know Another Moderator who has a Runescape Husband, but now they are Married IRL and both Moderators. I'd say it's fine, if the truth is there on age, and it's all dandy.

~ HYT Chat Rules (Click Here): Read before entering the chat. ~

dztf80.jpg

| Former Clan Chronicle Editor | Former Clan Improvement Member| Former TET Member |

Simular to Ducky, if they actully know each other, are going out etc i honestly dont mind. but for some guy/girl who's either 12 or desperate, and say "you look hot (its pixels for goodness sake) will you be my bf?" my reply is "I have a bf" to either scare them or "i have a gf". which they then try to get me to cheat on. i've yet to actully get her playing runescape so i can make fun of her. :lol:

Popoto.~<3

In general, I would say that having a Runescape Girlfriend/boyfriend is laughable.

But.... maybe nerds can find love together over the internet?

Isn't it the same as general online dating? o_O

Wouldn't it suck if your runescape 'gf' was really a guy who wanted to get your monies and you fell in love?

I watched a documentry once and it was about two people who met over Second Life.

"They decided to take it to the next level..... real life."

It was quite cute, they played Second Life next to each other and had a wedding online because they were too poor to get a real wedding.

Also, they danced online because one of them was a parapalegic.

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

you have a RELATIONSHIP in which you say you LOVE the person.

I dont know why but i find this really sad... dont you know that they can be outright nice to you in-game but be a bad person irl. How can you possibly come to have a relationship with a bunch of pixels? you have no idea who this person is. She could be a 9 year oild boy for all you know.

sad...

wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong. its just fu**in wrong :shame: :shame: :shame: :shame: :shame: :shame: :shame:

Its ok.I mean i dont really like the idea of in game GFs and BFs but really now.But lets make this clear.Its OK to have a GF or BF.It doesnt mean you have no life,or you dont have a GF in RL.I mean i have a GF in RL but i used to have a GF in runescape.My RL GF didnt mind and said it was great meeting new people :) .But remember to try and find a real life GF or BF and do not think runescape is everything.To me its like 50% of my life.Besides the normal school and other stuff.

Lan735

Proud member of the fighting saints

Fight as one and Die as one

1 person can change the world

wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong. its just fu**in wrong :shame: :shame: :shame: :shame: :shame: :shame: :shame:

Its ok.I mean i dont really like the idea of in game GFs and BFs but really now.But lets make this clear.Its OK to have a GF or BF.It doesnt mean you have no life,or you dont have a GF in RL.I mean i have a GF in RL but i used to have a GF in runescape.My RL GF didnt mind and said it was great meeting new people :) .But remember to try and find a real life GF or BF and do not think runescape is everything.To me its like 50% of my life.Besides the normal school and other stuff.

ur post made me rofl. lets go through this post:

1) ur lying about having a gf irl because no girl would ok with u cheating on her in some kind of chatroom ... well runescape that is :)

2) its alright to meet new ppl but having a gf on a game like runescape is wrong.

3) if u encouraging ppl to find a gf/bf irl then why r u ok with gf on rs?

4) 50% of ur whole life does mean that u have no life :lol:

5) why is it ok for u to love some pixelated character? why cant u just have a gf/bf irl. someone u can see. somone u can touch. someone u can [cabbage]

• 1 month later...

Yes i do have a RL GF and its not 50% of my life anymore.Heres the basics of what i do

20%:School and homework/chores

30%:Bashing somebodys head with a waterballon or snowball

49%:On the computer or playing video games while on the phone

1%:Breathing

But yeah my RL GF says its not like im gonna go to the place where the in game GF and start dating.Only a person with a mental illness would do that.Or if the person is on crack.Dont do drugs kids

Lan735

Proud member of the fighting saints

Fight as one and Die as one

1 person can change the world

• 4 weeks later...

i am completely against runescape relationships unless your like dating the person in rl and u both play runescape by chance..but it states in the rules that your not supposed to hook up with people through runescape.....and i hate it when noobs go around sayin"need a gf" "need a gf"......i mean if ur that worried about gettin a gf....stop spendin time on rs get out and start meetin ppl in rl......

Fire_Water06.png

Fire_Water06.png

We Don't Choose Our Birth, And We Don't Choose Our Death......

fire_water06.gif

Fire_water06.png

Well I find it sad, that many people that cant find one irl have to do this. I personaly dissaprove it, runescape is a mmorpg to play, not to hook.... it isnt a love chat or that kidn of stuff, and besides love-chatting is against jagex rules in case you dont know. I will never date on rs or even online, the risks are high, persons show fake sides and personalitys,persons lie and you cant know, you could be dating a stalker, it could be a male with a female character, an 8 year old looking for gp.

A close anecdote is a high lvl friend of mine was dating a low lvl girl, one day trought msn, he asked her ofr a pic, she got freaked out, and said no she didnt wanted to give one,(well this part is according to my friend , but I believe him) till she said she would give a pic but that he had to promise he will have to continoue liking her, the result was a pic of like a 25 year old crossdresser (yes I saw it, he sent it to me, I almost puked), after this my friend quit rs,suffered a trauma, so he is now having psycological help.

2nd, I find it rather lame to date on rs, you cant invite your date , to eat, to the cinema, you cant even hug kisss or ...well. But howcome can you love someone who you hadnt even seen his/her face?

Well thats my opinion.

This is a qualified answer...

If you dont know the person, except on RS, then not only is a relationship wrong, it can also be dangerous. That GF could be someone like wacko jacko luring u to neverland ranch. But, if its someone u know in real life, and RS just helps you express yourself, then I say go for it! Its a great way to enhance a relationship

Thats the only case where I find it O.K.

now i have terrible mental images in my brain... i think i may have nightmares tonight...

:ohnoes: :ohnoes: :ohnoes: :ohnoes: :ohnoes:

arcane_stew.png

Hypocrite. You tell others to be nice then attempt to murder people. Nice going, you just failed life.

I haven't been on debate in a while. Having a bf/gf on runescape is wrong. why?

first off, just because a character is a female doesnt necessarily mean they r one. some guys prefer to play as them. and other guys prefer to play on them because they are horny bastards...

second, you can have a friend on runescape, but never ever anything more because u dont know what the person looks like etc.

third, if u like a rs character good for u but take ur relationship outside of runescape. seriously we dont need u to go around lumby all obnoxious.

runescape isnt a dating service. E-harmony is one but not runescape. and if u do think u have a strange situation with an rs character please take the relationship outside the game and do everyone a favor.

Webcams can be faked.

I've seen people go on Webcam, but turn out to be recorded feeds from Stickam.

If you did have to resort to internet dating - use a phone, and always cease contact if they ask for anything remotely sexual.

Saying that, I met my first girlfriend on Neopets (we lasted 2 years), and we were relatively happy. We lived 100 miles apart, but visited every weekend.

I then, seven months after breaking up, met my current girlfriend on the Internet - who happens to live in the same city as me. I see her twice a week.

Runescape dating is a silly idea, though. It's almost as bad as trying to get a girlfriend on Teenchat.

Sorry, but there is nothing I hate more than a hipocrit!!

You can argue all you want, but that is what you have just stated. Don't slate people for things that YOU have already participated in. The difference of Neopets to RS (I assume) is minimal, so for you to take the mick out of people having a relationship on RS makes you look like an idiot.

thurdinatorio4.png

thurdinatorzk9.png

16x Black mask

1x Dragon Chainbody

1x Dragonic Visage

32x Dragon Boots

Obsidian Drops:-13 x Cape/ 6 x Shield/ 6 x Maul/ 750+ Onyx Tips

Yes i do have a RL GF and its not 50% of my life anymore.Heres the basics of what i do

20%:School and homework/chores

30%:Bashing somebodys head with a waterballon or snowball

49%:On the computer or playing video games while on the phone

1%:Breathing

But yeah my RL GF says its not like im gonna go to the place where the in game GF and start dating.Only a person with a mental illness would do that.Or if the person is on crack.Dont do drugs kids

Haha!! Awesome! When i was younger I used to throw waterballoons and snowballs at cars etc...and cyclists. And the dont do drugs bit...made me laugh!

thurdinatorio4.png

thurdinatorzk9.png

16x Black mask

1x Dragon Chainbody

1x Dragonic Visage

32x Dragon Boots

Obsidian Drops:-13 x Cape/ 6 x Shield/ 6 x Maul/ 750+ Onyx Tips

i dont think itss is cause its a game but then i dont really care about others cuz it doesnt involve me

if you want to date a pixel thats fine if u dont kool but i know i prefer the real thing ;)

98% Of teenagers surround their minds with rap music, if you're part of the 2% that stayed with rock, put this in your signature, ROCK IS BETTER!

I think there would be two different situations for the gf/bf thing that plays out mainly in f2p worlds.

The first being most of these players would be 10-12 only just understanding the term or just hearing of it and wanting a friend in-game. I do not believe that they want anything sexual or romantic from it, just a good friend that they give special names.

The other perspective would be from the more mature players or p2p players. They would see this as a game and I believe find the idea of forming a relationship over a game ludicrous or perhaps insulting.

I don't see it as a problem, just think a maturity thing that everyone would have had some experience with.

John_Pax.png

• 3 weeks later...

It's fine if you have a gf/bf who you also meet ingame. But having a gf/bf who you only met ingame is misguided and potentially dangerous.

In terms of rules, asking to start a boyfriend/girlfriend relationship in RS should not be allowed. However, having one which is a continuation of a real life relationship is fine.

~ W ~

sigzi.png