Scientists find bugs that eat waste and excrete petrol

magekillr

Oil spills are not a reason not to drill. They can do it in an environmentally safe way. Oil tankers spill 33 times more oil than platforms. So we'd be spilling less oil by drilling than by importing oil.

Any oil arriving from Alaska will be from oil tankers.

canadasigxw2.gif

hoffman44redhd5.png

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't say I'm surprised. They've done some pretty incredible things with biotechnology.

If they can make it work and their claim of being carbon negative is true, then great. If you think about it though, the bacteria will need food. On an industrial scale, that means you'll have to farm food for them. This isn't a carbon neutral process.

Instead of putting millions of dollars into more Co2 releasing energy forms we should be putting that money into development of cleaner and safer methods. Hydrogen engines have been proven possible and are completely safe, their combustion by product is only water, not harmful Carbon Dioxide, we've all seen the premature effects of Global warming.

I think it's about time we moved away from Oil and went towards investing in cleaner and safer methods of renewable energy such as wind power / solar / tidal / hydropower. Oil has had it's day and it [bleep] us over in the process.

Excately. My home province of Manitoba gets about 85% of it electricity from hydro, 10% nuclear, 5% other.

canadasigxw2.gif

hoffman44redhd5.png

Oil spills are not a reason not to drill. They can do it in an environmentally safe way. Oil tankers spill 33 times more oil than platforms. So we'd be spilling less oil by drilling than by importing oil.

Not all, not even close to all. There are plenty of trucking companies that drive the oil cross-country.

Hydro power is impossible if you don't have water in the first place, such is the problem with my area.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

I can't say I'm surprised. They've done some pretty incredible things with biotechnology.

If they can make it work and their claim of being carbon negative is true, then great. If you think about it though, the bacteria will need food. On an industrial scale, that means you'll have to farm food for them. This isn't a carbon neutral process.

The idea is to use farm products (like corn stalks) that are usually thrown away anyways.

canadasigxw2.gif

hoffman44redhd5.png

Unless something like sewage works. That would be the most ideal situation: sewage or other trash in exchange for carbon negative oil.

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

Not all, not even close to all. There are plenty of trucking companies that drive the oil cross-country.

Hydro power is impossible if you don't have water in the first place, such is the problem with my area.

Not that many, its A LOT cheaper to do it by sea.

And if you have no water, what do you drink? There called power lines....

canadasigxw2.gif

hoffman44redhd5.png

Instead of putting millions of dollars into more Co2 releasing energy forms we should be putting that money into development of cleaner and safer methods. Hydrogen engines have been proven possible and are completely safe, their combustion by product is only water, not harmful Carbon Dioxide, we've all seen the premature effects of Global warming.

I think it's about time we moved away from Oil and went towards investing in cleaner and safer methods of renewable energy such as wind power / solar / tidal / hydropower. Oil has had it's day and it [bleep] us over in the process.

If we're drilling at sea it will most likely be sent to it's nearest land form for less costs since all Oil companies are only concerned about profits, so in the case of Anwr it would most likely be sent to Cuba, we would then have to send it by tanker to Usa.

ANWR is in Alaska dude.

My carbon footprint is bigger than yours...and you know what they say about big feet.

These are the times that try mens souls...

If we're drilling at sea it will most likely be sent to it's nearest land form for less costs since all Oil companies are only concerned about profits, so in the case of Anwr it would most likely be sent to Cuba, we would then have to send it by tanker to Usa.

ANWR is in Alaska dude.

Well then change it to the area you were talking about near Cuba, I didn't look into it, just from what I saw in your messages it seemed Anwr was the Cuban area. And even if it's in Alasks it'll end up coming Via a Oil tanker most likely, doing it Via trucks is hugely expensive and uneconomical.

Well then change it to the area you were talking about near Cuba, I didn't look into it, just from what I saw in your messages it seemed Anwr was the Cuban area. And even if it's in Alasks it'll end up coming Via a Oil tanker most likely, doing it Via trucks is hugely expensive and uneconomical.

Exactly.

yeah, and you can't even get the oil off Cuba's cost, the U.S has an embargo on them....... because there commies...... yet so is china.....

canadasigxw2.gif

hoffman44redhd5.png

The idea is to use farm products (like corn stalks) that are usually thrown away anyways.

Fair enough. Either that or sewage or garbage like Lenin said.

So because there is a small chance of a spill we should just give up on energy independence and continue paying $4 a gallon gas?

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m ... i_89924477

They can drill in an environmentally safe way and they would only drill on an area the size of a business card on a basketball court. Anyway anwr aside its like 90% of offshore oil reserves are off limits. There is as much as 4 trillion barrels of oil from shale and the best thing the democrats can come up with to reduce gas prices are to enact a windfall profits tax on oil companies. That sure is a genius idea.

My carbon footprint is bigger than yours...and you know what they say about big feet.

Now all we have to do is find the bugs that [cabbage] oil and gold :D

igoddessIsig.png

The only people who tell you that you can't do something are those who have already given up on their own dreams so feel the need to discourage yours.

If you think about it though, the bacteria will need food. On an industrial scale, that means you'll have to farm food for them. This isn't a carbon neutral process.

Not necessarily, if it's actual waste, than they won't be limited to only fresh farmed food. Let's say the vast majority of pigs will be suffering food loss? :-#

Though it is interesting, but it has to happen or at least make some progress that is noticeable.

You're just taking "useless" carbon chains (waste) and turning them into more useful carbon chains, like oil.

It's not that hard to believe science has progressed this far. I'm guessing it's in the prototype stage and not quite cheap enough for mass use. A :thumbup: for genetic engineering!

The only dumb thing I see in the process is that most industrial fertilizers are made with crude oil. I can imagine all this waste product being turned into crude oil which is then used to make fertiliser... :wall:

dorcus0.png

"The best defence is to stay out of range" - French proverb

Bad luck happens. Learn and get over it.

So because there is a small chance of a spill we should just give up on energy independence and continue paying $4 a gallon gas?

No we should move away from short-term solutions and start looking at long-term, cleaner and renewable energy sources. We're just going to screw the world up more if we keep using Oil. Also 4 dollars a gallon is quite cheap when compared to other countries, be happy you only pay 4 dollars.

Even if a spill doesn't occur a [cabbage] load of Co2 is released into the air furthering the effects of global warming, shouldn't we consider the future world I.E our children, their children etc in these choices as these choices essentially decide what their world will be like.

Great now oil comes out of bugs [wagon]. I mean I don't know if anyone else knows this, it may be a secret but when you dig real real deep into the ground there is oil there. I'm sure if we did that we could get oil, right? :wall:

Not for long. Noticed gas prices lately?

If you're talking about gas prices in America I demand you shut up. Last I calculated, when the price was 1.44EUR per liter, the price in dollars to the gallon was 10$ (In America it's what, 5$?). Now the price is 1.57EUR, and Americans are STILL complaining.

C2b6gs7.png

I never saw this solution to the petrol problem :lol: I can see that massive ammounts of money will be made from this discovery, assuming that no major flaws are discovered. It also means that we wont have to rely on foreign countries for oil :thumbsup: Less wars?

ragenori9bosq4.gif

Thanks Venomai for this super sig and Kwimbob for the awesome avatar!

Great now oil comes out of bugs [wagon]. I mean I don't know if anyone else knows this, it may be a secret but when you dig real real deep into the ground there is oil there. I'm sure if we did that we could get oil, right? :wall:

If you're talking about gas prices in America I demand you shut up. Last I calculated, when the price was 1.44EUR per liter, the price in dollars to the gallon was 10$ (In America it's what, 5$?). Now the price is 1.57EUR, and Americans are STILL complaining.

It not even that high, it 4$, less in some places.

canadasigxw2.gif

hoffman44redhd5.png

No we should move away from short-term solutions and start looking at long-term, cleaner and renewable energy sources. We're just going to screw the world up more if we keep using Oil. Also 4 dollars a gallon is quite cheap when compared to other countries, be happy you only pay 4 dollars.

Even if a spill doesn't occur a [cabbage] load of Co2 is released into the air furthering the effects of global warming, shouldn't we consider the future world I.E our children, their children etc in these choices as these choices essentially decide what their world will be like.

Don't give me that global warming bull. Is it really worth it all to avoid .3 degrees of warming by 2100? Were just going to keep importing oil anyway so why not use American oil.

And anyways we can't do anything else. The democrats won't let us build nuclear plants. Thats sure a genius move.

Jack go through my past posts and find 1 post where I even mentioned nuclear power. I never once mentioned nuclear power, I only mentioned Tidal, Wind, Hydro and Solar power, all clean and safe renewable energy sources. There is a much higher expected increase in global temperatures than .3 degrees celcius.

There is so many other forms of energy that are safer, cleaner and cheaper to use which have very few negative effects on the plant other than the carbon released during the construction of them.

It's quite selfish of us to take the easy route out now while knowingly [bleep]ing up the future generation's planet. What happens when we run out of Oil, there would have been no serious investment in renewable energy sources by then. So instead of looking for more Oil we should be putting serious amounts of money into renewable energy sources and other areas. Oil is not only used in Cars and Electricity production, it is what plastics are made of and a key ingredient in many cosmetics.

So instead of taking your easy route out we should be investing serious amounts of money into renewable technology and drop this [cabbage] attitude that it's next generations problem to deal with, even though we're the cause of it.

Because it should be cheaper 4 dollars is loco.