Fishing vs. Woodcutting.

HellsSponge

Fishing, mining, and woodcutting have been known sense RSC as the "big three" for skills. Up until recently, they were almost even. Now, the mining graphics were updated, which many people didn't like. Also, with the release of the grand exchange, the prices shifted up, but only with fishing and woodcutting, leaving mining in the dust. Now, fishing and woodcutting are the two big skills that can be done AFK (away from keyboard).

They both have a method that earns money (yews and monkfish), one that is high level (sharks and magics) and one that is fast xp (fly fishing and willows). Woodcutting is more straightforward, because it requires no quests, and has yew trees on F2P. Meanwhile, fishing has monkfish, which requires an advanced quest (swan song, 100 qp, 66 magic, and 62 fishing + cooking), but is faster money and xp. While there are a lot of magic trees, you have to compete with other players over them, but sharks are individual.

Which of the two skills is easier to gain levels in? How about to make money?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From my experience in F2P, woodcutting is way easier to gain levels and money than fishing. I don't really know about P2P though.

Money is easily gained from yews, while F2P would have to fish lobbies and swordies, which takes a while to bank.

Taking a Playstation 3 break.

card.png

No skills on rs can be compared. They are completely different with their own positives and negatives.

Woodcutting and Fishing are no different. How can you compared a log which requires a level of 60 and gives 175 xp to a fish that requires 62 Fish and gives 130 xp(aroundish)?

Each skill is unique. If you're out to see which skill is better as provided by the game, they are equal. But if you're going on the player's views, carry on.

Thanks..

Lord Shalaj

[99 Woodcutting] [99 Strength][99 Hitpoints]

30db3v5.jpg

"What will come, will come..

..We will have to face it when it does!"

Farming With Profit and VineSweeper Guide

A better method to slay Dagannoths!

PvP drops:

[hide=]1 x Vesta's Chainbody, 3 x Brawling gloves (Melee [1], Range [1], Magic [1])[/hide]

gonna have to say fishing, its more usefull i think

I wish that was the case, but I doubt it.

With woodcutting, you can buy better axes which chop faster. Its been officially confirmed that a dragon woodcutting axe chops 15-25% faster than a rune axe.

Fishing, just about every net is the same lol!

Air_Dragon15.png

I'd have to say that their usefulness to the game is on par. Fishing introduces food into the game for Cooking and combat whereas woodcutting introduces logs into the game for Firemaking and Fletching. Fletching itself is used (less often now) as a method to train Magic (alching).

Taking a Playstation 3 break.

card.png

Forget about them, they're both a waste of time.

No skills on rs can be compared. They are completely different with their own positives and negatives.

Woodcutting and Fishing are no different. How can you compared a log which requires a level of 60 and gives 175 xp to a fish that requires 62 Fish and gives 130 xp(aroundish)?

Each skill is unique. If you're out to see which skill is better as provided by the game, they are equal. But if you're going on the player's views, carry on.

Thanks..

Lord Shalaj

I'd agree if we were say comparing fishing to farming, or whichever. But woodcutting and fishing are VERY similar, same kind of skill, they can be compared.

2480+ total

This topic has as much discussion value as a piece of lint. It does not belong here.

On Topic: No two skills should be compared to one another. Even though Fishing and Woodcutting can be linked, it is like comparing Prayer to Mining.

My relaxation method involves a bottle of lotion, beautiful women, and partial nudity. Yes I get massages.

ojdv.jpg

Woodcutting is more 'flexible' and 'appealing'.

I say this because of three main reasons,

1. You can buy better axes and to some people it makes the game 'funner' if they've got a better axe, among other things.

2. You can woodcut almost anywhere, it doesn't matter if it's not profitable, new people don't care and rip down lumby forest just to burn the logs.

3. It's a much more better atmosphere, the monkfishing spot is boring, it looks glum, and the colours aren't that vibrant, whereas if you chop magics in Lleyta, you have bunnies hopping around, butterflys, willow the wisps', trees.

So woodcutting is better \'

99 Woodcutting Achieved on 17th December 2007

Barrows Drops: 1 x Great Axe; 3 x Brassard; 1 x K Coif; 1x Dh Helm; 2 x Guthans Plate; 1 x Ahrim Hood; 1 x Ahrim Skirt; 2 x Flail; 1 x X-bow; 2 x Dharok Legs.

LMsmallsigcopy.jpg

I would say that fishing is better. I did however have a goal at one point to get 99 woodcutting but i grew extremely bored of it. Fishing I recently have grown to like, it allows you to gain food which is used in combat, whereas woodcutting gives you logs that are used in firemaking and fletching, which the latter you use regular logs to make arrows for range. No point in making 50k+ bows that you will just alc. So I'm going to go with fishing.

Drinkablity.png

I don't see the problem with comparing skills. They all have their similarities and differences. Venn diagrams are used to compare and contrast - meaning the two subjects being compared are not going to be exactly the same. What's the point of comparing two things if they're exactly the same?

In terms of money, I'd have to say Woodcutting is better because of Magics being more expensive than sharks. When it comes to Xp, I think I level up Fishing faster thanks to Monks and Shark Gloves.

gonna have to say fishing, its more usefull i think

I wish that was the case, but I doubt it.

With woodcutting, you can buy better axes which chop faster. Its been officially confirmed that a dragon woodcutting axe chops 15-25% faster than a rune axe.

Fishing, just about every net is the same lol!

Agreed. I think that in p2p fishing can be better money but woodcutting is faster levels.

Thoroughly retired, may still write now and again

Mining ftw! It's not dead yet! Depends if you're f2p or p2p, and if you have 85 mining.

F2P: Mining wins if the rocks aren't crowded, especially at 85. I can make 100k on gold, not to mention rune. Woodcutting, I barely scrawl over 50k an hour on yews. Fishing I can make about 90k, but I'm only 70 fishing, so it should be on par with gold by 85 fishing.

P2P: ~600k an hour at Light Temple rune rocks! I got almost get 2 loads an hour there. Outside of that, there's nothing special about p2p mining. Maybe the Asargian Gold Mine, but it won't help much. Here, it's out of my field. I don't woodcut or fish for money in p2p, but I can't imagine it beating rune.

• 3 weeks later...
Mining ftw! It's not dead yet! Depends if you're f2p or p2p, and if you have 85 mining.

F2P: Mining wins if the rocks aren't crowded, especially at 85. I can make 100k on gold, not to mention rune. Woodcutting, I barely scrawl over 50k an hour on yews. Fishing I can make about 90k, but I'm only 70 fishing, so it should be on par with gold by 85 fishing.

P2P: ~600k an hour at Light Temple rune rocks! I got almost get 2 loads an hour there. Outside of that, there's nothing special about p2p mining. Maybe the Asargian Gold Mine, but it won't help much. Here, it's out of my field. I don't woodcut or fish for money in p2p, but I can't imagine it beating rune.

Mining is only effective at high levels and is mostly dead I would say for p2pers. Although wc and fish cant compete in money per hour, they are both easier to get xp and are possible afk which is not really reasonable for mining. Wc wins for me simply cause it is somewhat related to ur wealthiness(different axes) and is not completey afk like fishing.

teh_gauss.png

id say f2p wc is better buy p2p fishing is better.

I find fishing more social, you can just sit back and talk with people more while fishing in Catherby etc. Though I'm bias, I think Woodcutting is hell on earth, the sounds, the constant grind, just annoys me

On both accounts i agree!

especially in catherby where if your fishin lobsters its simply one click and just wait and you can go off and do other stuff or concentrate on talking to other people who will most likely also be concentrating on talking to other people while waiting.

gty12

Woodcutting is harder and more boring to level up then fishing. I recently got to my minor goal of 60 woodcutting. To me it took for ever! It felt like it took me half the time fishing trout and salmon to get to same level. If you are looking to make money woodcutting is the way to got but even at level 62 fishing, lobsters or swordfish takes a long time. Trout are almost worthless to sell cooked but salmon are okay cash. Willow are cheap so you can just burn them because you got minimal profit. If you want to enjoy a skill go with fishing but if you need quick cash fast go with woodcutting.

Mining is boring!

forummx0.png

My stats are updated weekly... Sometimes...

I'd like to start off by saying that both my fishing and woodcutting levels are even at 86. Everyone has their own views and opinions. I think Woodcutting is hands down the most widely used money-making skill in the game. In nonmembers, Woodcutting definitely beats Fishing purely because it is extremely difficult to fish medium level fish such as tuna, lobsters, swordfish, etc because the fishing spots are so far from a bank. If nonmembers had easier access to the bank while fishing, lobsters, tuna, and swordfish would be near worthless. However, in members, it is a far different story. Some will say fishing is too boring to get up. Fishing may be slow at a low level but you only need to get to 40 fishing before the money starts reeling in. With woodcutting, it is much faster than fishing but will take longer, as you will need 60 before there is any practicallity using woodcutting to make money. So, both have pros and cons. I would say a person at 60 fishing that is fishing lobsters would make far less than a person with 60 woodcutting that is cutting yews. But, those who manage to make it to 76 fishing, will find fishing extremely rewarding. On the other hand, those who get 75 woodcutting, which in my opinion takes less than half the time it takes to get 76 fishing, will not make as much money. If you have patience and get 76 fishing, it will pay off in the end. With that said, before anyone quotes what I just said and tells me how ridiculously stupid that comment was, keep in mind that that comment applies to 75 woodcutting cutting magics, versus 76 fishing fishing sharks. Now, to the aspect of high-level fishing and woodcutting. If you are a high-level fisher (80ish and above), you most likely will stick to sharks to make money. If you are a woodcutter on the other hand, you will probably find that yews are great money (possibly better than magics) and that yews are amazing experience past 80 woodcutting. Everything is based on peoples personal opinions. But woodcutters also need to keep in mind that future fletching, woodcutting, or even farming updates may completely throw off the use for cutting yews/ magics. But you shouldn't worry too much because Jagex will not be careless in their updates so this shouldn't affect prices to much even if some update does make fletching, firemaking, or alching easier. Fishing will probably never become useless as runescape's whole healing system is based off the eating of food.

Bottom Line:

Woodcutting-

pros: Fast, easy, not too taxing on the player

cons: Your production is affected by players, not extreme amounts of money, using logs to fletch, alch, burn is based purely on the demand of players and is not necessary

Fishing-

pros: Cheap to train, reliable (use for fishing will never be "outsourced" so to speak to another skill), lots of money at higher levels, your production of fish is not affected by other players, with the exception of random events such as whirpool and big fish

cons: Slow, can be extremely boring, fish prices drop dramastically (yes this is a word) when cooked.

I hope this helped! ;)

P.S: If your wondering which skill I prefer, it's fishing for the reasons stated above and because I fish in real life.

Forget about them, they're both a waste of time.

Thanks..

Lord Shalaj

I'd agree if we were say comparing fishing to farming, or whichever. But woodcutting and fishing are VERY similar, same kind of skill, they can be compared.

You say cutting trees and catching fish is similar? :|

Let me tell you this, each skill on rs is different. They can get related to each other like Woodcutting and Firemaking, but in the aspect of skills, they are unique to themselves.

Thanks..

Lord Shalaj

[99 Woodcutting] [99 Strength][99 Hitpoints]

30db3v5.jpg

"What will come, will come..

..We will have to face it when it does!"

Farming With Profit and VineSweeper Guide

A better method to slay Dagannoths!

PvP drops:

[hide=]1 x Vesta's Chainbody, 3 x Brawling gloves (Melee [1], Range [1], Magic [1])[/hide]

I think that P2P fishing is a stronger skill to do AFK. Woodcutting high level trees is slow, and the competition is even worse. Most good places to cut high level trees are either far from a bank or so crowded you get 2/3 logs per click. Fishing offers faster cash. And the good places to fish sharks (Fishing Guild) and monks are right next to a bank.

Well, I figure I would put my input in too, even though it is a bit of a repeat.

Fishing to me is easier to do while watching TV or other things.

Woodcutting has always been one of my least favorite skills right up there with firemaking.

There will always be a need for food. Fishing is food.

Logs are also necessary, but since it has been mentioned that it is profitable on f2p, I believe the long run profitability favors fishing.

In conclusion, fishing is easier to do while multi-tasking, and overall is more profitable p2p. At least for my meager stats. :|

felter_laur.png