"A gaming computer"

Well, I've got a job now, and although it isn't much... It's some. I want to save up and buy a gaming computer, which can play things with decent graphics instead of the peice of garbage I have at the moment. So what I'm looking for really, is suggestions. Anyone got any?

Andus-Sig-1.jpg

As brad said, it really depends on what kind of budget you're on. Also, are you looking to buy a prebuilt computer (more expensive) or buy the components and assemble it yourself, or get someone to do it for you (cheaper)?

Also what games are you looking to play on the computer? If you're playing something older you won't need to spend as much.

draciontheman.png

"In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

Yeah, a few questions:

(1) what's your budget, or a general idea on how much you wanna spend?

(2) what games are you playing?

(3) Do you want to try and "future proof" it?

Really just post a general idea of what you want and most of us would be glad to help you out. As far as estimates go, I would say a decent gaming machine would run you about $800 with an OS and no monitor. You can save even more money if you reuse parts, such as a hard drive or CD drive and such.

The good news is that with the new 4000 series by ATI now is actually a really good time to buy a computer. If you look at games in the future they aren't increasing nearly as much as specs used to in the patch. You could easily get a machine that could play all of todays games, and be good for the future, for like $900 with a 4000 series card in it.

I'll make a few notes:

-I don't see many, if any games using quad-core processors, so you might want to go with a duo-core processor.

-As for the case, the bigger the better. For example, I installed an Nvidia Geforce 9600 in my comp, and I learned that lesson after realising I almost didn't have enough space horizontally to install the card.

-Definitely get a good cooling fan. Good one's are about $20, but will work wonders with your system temperatures.

I was going to eat hot dogs for dinner tonight. I think I will settle for cereal.

OPEN WIDE HERE COMES THE HELICOPTER.

I would choose one based on the following:

1.) Budget.

Gaming computers can go from 400-8000 USD

2.) Brand

Alienware is a popular gaming computer brand, but I think a self-put-together system is so much better. with proper know-how, you can get a 2000 USD computer for under 800 USD.

3. Style

Do you want a Towerless computer like an Imac, or a laptop from Dell, or a Desktop made from HP

4.) Usage

What are you going to do besides gaming. Will you be using it for school, e-mail, and surfing the 'net?

The system I plan on buying is a Towerless computer with external CD/DVD burning drive with best components I can get so I can buy another tower/monitor every 4-6 years without totally out dating it. Which will cost roughly 1200 USD every 4 years.

wii_wheaton.png

[software Engineer] -

[Ability Bar Suggestion] - [Gaming Enthusiast]

The system I plan on buying is a Towerless computer with external CD/DVD burning drive with best components I can get so I can buy another tower/monitor every 4-6 years without totally out dating it. Which will cost roughly 1200 USD every 4 years.

That doesn't really make sense. Why would you, esentially, get a new monitor and everything else every 4 years? Seems more like a waste of money than anything.

Unless you're really trying to save space, or want your computer to look "sleek and stylish" get a normal desktop + monitor.

I

2.) Brand

Alienware is a popular gaming computer brand, but I think a self-put-together system is so much better. with proper know-how, you can get a 2000 USD computer for under 800 USD.

Do NOT go with Alienware. I don't care how popular they may seem, their products are terrible. I know this from first hand experience, and I will never buy one of their computers again.

Agreed Alienware is just hype, nothing more....though that new curved LCD screen is nice....

Go custom built if possible. Even find someone to build it for you if you buy the parts or tell them what you want.

Kriegsig1copy2b.jpg

I agree with anyone saying, if you have the time build one.

Its a very worthwhile experience which will greatly enhance your computer knowledge.

It will also work out that your PC will have better parts in it then prebuilt PC's which cost more.

However you should only build your won if yo u have the time to research parts, read manuals and prep for the build. Otherwise you'll end up making a mess.

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Dragon Boots x4 - all less then 30 kc
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

Solo only - doesn't include barrows[/hide][hide=Stats]

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

I

2.) Brand

Do NOT go with Alienware. I don't care how popular they may seem, their products are terrible. I know this from first hand experience, and I will never buy one of their computers again.

Completely agree with you! I have never had one but i know people that have and all they have is problems.

Go custom built if possible. Even find someone to build it for you if you buy the parts or tell them what you want.

Or take it one step further and build it yourself. I can only imagine the joy you'd feel the first time you boot up the machine you build yourself

Yeah, build it yourself! I had no idea how to, but I was able to build my computer with my brother easily by reading the motherboard's manual. You can also get much better prices for parts than a computer from a company like Dell. www.Newegg.com will be your best friend.

mrE.png

"We will certainly not be gaining money or members with this update. Instead, we are doing this for the good of the game, which is as dear to our hearts as it is to you."

- JAGEX, December 13, 2007

(1) what's your budget, or a general idea on how much you wanna spend?

Up to £500, I can get help building it from a friend's dad. I asked Ross and his dad (who built his computer) said he'd be happy to help.

(2) what games are you playing?

Will be things like Age of Conan, Orange box, the general stuffs.

(3) Do you want to try and "future proof" it?

If possible.

Andus-Sig-1.jpg